Warner Bros thinks Batgirl is such a steaming pile of crap, they literally shelved it

AUS-97HORN

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and supposedly It wont ever get released.

the test audiences said it was so bad, WB felt it was unfixable

but they want to make sure everyone knows that "this decision has nothing to do with Leslie Grace"

uh  thats a hit to your ego as the supposed star of the movie... yikes 

Nothing in the article you linked said that test audiences said it was so bad, WB felt it was unfixable. Everything I've read is that they're shelving it for "tax reasons". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Nothing in the article you linked said that test audiences said it was so bad, WB felt it was unfixable. Everything I've read is that they're shelving it for "tax reasons". 

Yeah tax benefits of shelving it outweigh how crappy the audience screenings apparently were...  but seriously it does look like WB just decided we're going to fire a crap ton or people and cancel all kinds of projects to "redefine who we are".  Seems like an internal power play going on

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Discovery bought WB so they are cancelling everything, the rumor is they are scrapping HBOMax and only doing cheap reality shows on Discovery+. The CEO is a real shithead.

Holy whit, you’re right.  HBOMax has been great for us, but guess we can save $15 a month.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warner-bros-discovery-questions-ahead-of-earnings-211645018.html

The outlet explained that the move "will result in a gutting of HBO Max, significant layoffs for its executives and staff to minimize redundancies with HBO and a combined streaming service with Discovery+."

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hbo-max-removes-warner-bros-films-streaming-exclusive-1235332258/

Typically, they will show this at comic con etc...and make the rounds. Film wasn't even promoted/mentioned at these type of convention things. Which was a sign of where it was going. It is really rare. The test audiences had a somewhat favorable reaction...not hating it... The rest of the cast sounded great: J.K. Simmons, Keaton and Brendan Fraser (who is having sort of a comeback/renaissance) type of deal. WB is slashing the costs big time under David Zaslav. Filmmakers got screwed along with others. WB has $3 billion in debt they are trying to pair down among their divisions. 

"It was a hard decision for all and highly unusual to simply scrap a film that cost $60 million-$70 million, made by the hot directors who helmed Black and the Disney+ series Ms. Marvel under Kevin Feige as well as the pre-pandemic $426M-grossing hit Bad Boys for Life."

https://deadline.com/2022/08/batgirl-scoob-discard-warnerbros-discovery-david-zaslav-jason-kilar-hbo-max-strategy-1235084032/

• Hook 'Em 1

hbo max is great but i use it essentially like hbo on demand or hbo go or whatever - to watch hbo content.  i didn't use it for the warner content (friends, west wing) but that stuff will get scooped up someplace.  probably peacock's gain on some of those wb shows.  

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hbo-max-removes-warner-bros-films-streaming-exclusive-1235332258/

movies quietly disappearing.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

hbo max is great but i use it essentially like hbo on demand or hbo go or whatever - to watch hbo content.  i didn't use it for the warner content (friends, west wing) but that stuff will get scooped up someplace.  probably peacock's gain on some of those wb shows.  

movies quietly disappearing.

Same. I assume they'll find a medium for what is likely to be the final season of Hacks, right?

I enjoyed the hell out of Peacemaker and will be bummed if they discontinue it. 

But the rest of the DC stuff has been almost entirely abysmal. I would watch Gal Gadot read an insurance policy for two hours and I could barely make it through the last wonder woman. I understand there are other things afoot here, but I can't imagine Batgirl being worse than that steaming pile of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I enjoyed the hell out of Peacemaker and will be bummed if they discontinue it. 

But the rest of the DC stuff has been almost entirely abysmal. I would watch Gal Gadot read an insurance policy for two hours and I could barely make it through the last wonder woman. I understand there are other things afoot here, but I can't imagine Batgirl being worse than that steaming pile of shit. 

I really thought it was bullshit that she used some random dudes body to bang. I mean he didn’t even get to enjoy it since he was possessed by Chris Pine. If Gal Godoy wants to fuck me at least let me know about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I can live without HBO Max but it seems like this move to austerity by Discovery is going to put a stranglehold on HBO, the greatest producer of original programming ever. That is not something I am on board with. 

They’re actually giving all production to the HBO tv guy (Casey Bloys, President of Programming) and expanding his team and his control.  So not sure the original HBO programming type stuff is going to suffer at all.  Hopefully he doesn’t decide to bounce bc then there would be legit worry. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, kevwun said:

AT&T's stink turns everything to shit eventually.

Yep.  We have a very close relationship with WB real estate (the iconic WB water tower is 150 yards frm my office).  They have gone into a shitshow tailspin ever since AT&T got involved.  The Discovery merger has already resulted in major changes to their strategy.  Going to be very interesting to see where they go from here.

55 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

joker-burning-money-gif-1.gif

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

If it was about money, they would have dumped it on HBO or sold it to Amazon Prime, even at a loss. 

This is about sending a message to the directors, writers and actors that they're not putting up with crap movies anymore.

I have a friend who works in props in Hollywood.  He says peak TV has created an enormous about of work, but the number of totally dysfunctional, fucked up from the jump sets he's worked on has gone through the roof.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...