Jackie Walorski, U.S. Congresswoman from Indiana, killed in car accident

C-Man

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/03/politics/jackie-walorski-died-indiana-republican/index.html

(CNN)Indiana Republican Rep. Jackie Walorski has died in a car accident that also killed two of Walorski's staffers, House Republican leaders announced Wednesday.

The news came as a major shock on Capitol Hill and immediately sparked an outpouring of grief and remembrances from lawmakers and aides who paid tribute to the lives and careers of the congresswoman and the two staffers.

Walorski, who was 58, represented Indiana's 2nd Congressional District and had previously served as a member of the Indiana House of Representatives. She began serving in Congress in 2013.

The congresswoman was viewed inside the House Republican conference as someone who could one day ascend to the ranks of GOP leadership, and her name had been batted around for the position of conference chairwoman in the past. She had been a member of the House GOP's deputy whip team.

Edited by C-Man

• C-Man changed the title to Jackie Walorski, U.S. Congresswoman from Indiana, killed in car accident

Hit head on, car crossed the center line and took out her and her staffers.  Not that 58 is old, but really feel for the young staffers.  That just sucks.  It's like a bolt out of the blue, there's nothing you can do to prevent it or stop it when it happens.  Shit like that keeps me up at night.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

thats awful.

Considering how we put so little trust in people these days, it's odd that we just trust drivers going in the opposite direction of you at a high rate of speed are going to stay in their lane.

Faith, i guess.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, yoladu said:

thats awful.

Considering how we put so little trust in people these days, it's odd that we just trust drivers going in the opposite direction of you at a high rate of speed are going to stay in their lane.

Faith, i guess.

This is why I really do not like driving on two-lane highways like 281

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, yoladu said:

It's an interesting risk matrix we've deemed as acceptable as a society. Shit, just driving in your own lane on the highway going the same direction. 

36 minutes ago, yoladu said:

thats awful.

Faith, i guess.

I don’t share that faith. Lots of those roads on WY where folks are going 90 in both directions. I always kept an eye on the front tire of an oncoming vehicle and its relationship to the lane marker.  At least up there the traffic was so light it wasn’t a constant state of passing cars. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

She also voted against certification of Biden’s election, but thoughts and prayers and such.

I’ll leave her out of my thoughts and prayers.  I have a finite amount of thoughts and prayers to give, and she doesn’t make the cut.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

She also voted against certification of Biden’s election, but thoughts and prayers and such.

Are you implying that she was a human being that potentially had contrasting views on differing issues? How dare you. You're lucky this thread is in DT. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are you implying that she was a human being that potentially had contrasting views on differing issues? How dare you. You're lucky this thread is in DT. 

Well, her “view” has gotten trounced in the courts worse than Colorado in December 2005, so it’s about about as legit as that team was. 

Spoiler

It’s always been an enormous lie that she and the rest of them - and you - know is complete bullshit, and nothing more than a power play. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When OJ dies should we not mention the little incident with his ex-wife?  Because it might hurt some people’s feelings?

8E859C05-1F20-422A-992F-BE4C2A63BF62.jpeg.3d5318a045fe0e95cd2b9febb6a00a39.jpeg

This was on another thread and did make me laugh out loud. I remember watching the chase as a kid, and while my dad had enough couth to not openly cheer for OJ in the chase, well….  

13 hours ago, KYHorn said:

This thread turned pretty disgusting real fast. This is CR bullshit.

4 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

Surprised?

Surprised at Imma allowing it, but I guess I shouldn't be.

I reported a reply 12 hours ago, so looks like he's ok with the disgusting turn of this thread?  (I think you can count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times I've reported a post.)

Not so much for CR in the DT (though once again, we see this rule is often only enforced in 1 direction) but rather for the multiple, "She was a Republican so it's good she's dead" posts.

Maybe it didn't reach him or Blacklab.  The other mods that I'm aware of are Hayden and Pancho. 

Effectively telling half your target fan base to "Rest In Piss" if they die in an accident (or any other way) would at least seem to be bad for business.  

How others reacted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/indiana-national-leaders-react-u-211117196.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/indiana-rep-jackie-walorski-killed-car-accident-rcna41410

President Joe Biden

"Jill and I are shocked and saddened by the death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski of Indiana along with two members of her staff in a car accident today in Indiana. Born in her beloved South Bend as the daughter of a meat-cutter and firefighter, she spent a lifetime serving the community that she grew up in – as a journalist, a nonprofit director, a state legislator, and eventually as a Member of Congress for the past nine and half years.

We may have represented different parties and disagreed on many issues, but she was respected by members of both parties for her work on the House Ways and Means Committee on which she served. She also served as co-chair of the House Hunger Caucus, and my team and I appreciated her partnership as we plan for a historic White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health this fall that will be marked by her deep care for the needs of rural America.

We send our deepest condolences to her husband, Dean, to the families of her staff members, Zachery Potts and Emma Thomson, who lost their lives in public service, and to the people of Indiana’s Second District who lost a representative who was one of their own."

Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who was traveling in Asia, ordered the flags at the Capitol to be flown at half-staff in honor of Walorski and her staffers, her spokesman said.

“A lifelong Hoosier, Congresswoman Walorski lived a life of service: whether caring for impoverished children in Romania, representing her community in the Indiana Statehouse or serving nearly a decade in the House," Pelosi said in a statement. "She passionately brought the voices of her north Indiana constituents to the Congress, and she was admired by colleagues on both sides of the aisle for her personal kindness."

The White House said it will fly flags at half-staff on Wednesday and Thursday in memory of Walorski.

Secretary Pete Buttigieg

I'm shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the other victims of this terrible crash.

Rep. Liz Cheney

Heartbroken to hear the terrible news about Jackie Walorski, Zachary Potts and Emma Thompson. There was no more dedicated or effective member of Congress than Jackie. I was proud to be her friend. Phil and I are keeping Jackie, Zachary and Emma’s families in our prayers.

Indiana House Democrats

Our representatives and staff are valued and cherished members of our team and losing even a single person is heartbreaking, let alone three. Our caucus is sending thoughts, prayers, well wishes and hopes for peace to Rep. Walorski, Zachery and Emma's families tonight.

Mike Schmuhl, Chairman of the Indiana Democratic Party

“On behalf of the Indiana Democratic Party, I want to express our sincere condolences to the friends and loved ones of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski, Chairman Zach Potts, and Emma Thomson.

Jackie Walorski was a dedicated public servant, who cared deeply about her constituents and northern Indiana. If you’re a Hoosier, you’re a member of one family, and Indiana tragically lost dedicated family members today.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families, to members of the communities across the Second District, and to the Indiana Republican Party.

Congresswoman Walorski served with devotion and passion in both the Indiana General Assembly and the U.S. House of Representatives. She made a lasting impact on Indiana and the United States.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

18 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Haven't watched that video yet, but from the picture, it's just a gross image of the layout of so many cities. That and interstates creating a scar through a city.

I've said it before, if San Marcos didn't have I-35, it would be the most attractive town in Texas. Meanwhile, stuff like the YouTube image is everywhere. It's just essentially blight. I don't know if we need to make rules about telephone poles, business signage, or the road themselves, but it seems there is zero concern for the aesthetic of towns -- especially in Texas -- and it's a shame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

My condolences will depend how far did she believe in the steal, gqp ranks etc

18 hours ago, South Austin said:

18 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

Rest in Piss…

41 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Not so much for CR in the DT (though once again, we see this rule is often only enforced in 1 direction) but rather for the multiple, "She was a Republican so it's good she's dead" posts.

Maybe it didn't reach him or Blacklab.  The other mods that I'm aware of are Hayden and Pancho. 

Effectively telling half your target fan base to "Rest In Piss" if they die in an accident (or any other way) would at least seem to be bad for business.  

it sounds like you're suggesting that all republicans wish to end free and fair elections in this country and IMO that's fucked up

Edited by Celery Man

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it sounds like you're suggesting that all republicans wish to end free and fair elections in this country and IMO that's fucked up

Ok fine; thoughts and prayers, Let’s move away to the next thing now 

50 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Haven't watched that video yet, but from the picture, it's just a gross image of the layout of so many cities. That and interstates creating a scar through a city.

I've said it before, if San Marcos didn't have I-35, it would be the most attractive town in Texas. Meanwhile, stuff like the YouTube image is everywhere. It's just essentially blight. I don't know if we need to make rules about telephone poles, business signage, or the road themselves, but it seems there is zero concern for the aesthetic of towns -- especially in Texas -- and it's a shame. 

The video makes a pretty good argument that most north american thoroughfares are extra dangerous because they are designed with two conflicting goals in mind: speed (a road's goal of getting you from point A to point B) and access (a street's goal of ensuring buildings are reachable). We already know they are not speedy, and they don't do a great job of ensuring buildings are reachable.

They also create a bunch of hazards due to the high speeds. That is probably a big contributing factor in this congresswoman's death.