Jackie Walorski, U.S. Congresswoman from Indiana, killed in car accident

C-Man

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hit head on, car crossed the center line and took out her and her staffers.  Not that 58 is old, but really feel for the young staffers.  That just sucks.  It's like a bolt out of the blue, there's nothing you can do to prevent it or stop it when it happens.  Shit like that keeps me up at night.

That's really the only thing I worry about on the road. My defensive driving game is on point, but there's no defense to the center line cross. You put your life in the hands of everyone coming the opposite direction.

24 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I really enjoyed the video about strodes. Would love to live with a transport system and streets much more like Amsterdam than the horrible concrete jungles we have here.

That Youtube channel was honestly one of the bigger factors in my decision to move overseas, something I will be doing in 6 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

by fleeing the White House like a diseased cur, Richard Nixon broke the heart of the American Dream.

And back in 2021, I'd have given anything for a shitty POTUS who had the decency to "flee the White House like a diseased cur."  I long for the decency of Richard Nixon.  That's where we are.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And back in 2021, I'd have given anything for a shitty POTUS who had the decency to "flee the White House like a diseased cur."  I long for the decency of Richard Nixon.  That's where we are.

Fair enough.  But I contend Nixon and the weasels he surrounded himself with  (who wound up in Reagan, Bush, Bush jr. administrations) are the very reason we have arrived at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

I assume that there's going to be a special election and / or appointment procedure to fill the remaining months of her term.

However, what happens in November?

She won the primary back in May so I assume her name stays on the ballet. Can a dead person run?

Bom Dia Hello GIF

10 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I assume that there's going to be a special election and / or appointment procedure to fill the remaining months of her term.

She won the primary back in May so I assume her name stays on the ballet. Can a dead person run?

Bom Dia Hello GIF

Indiana Republican Party spokesperson Luke Thomas told IndyStar in an email, "At this time, the Indiana Republican Party is mourning the loss of friends and colleagues; our sole focus is on those lost and their families.

"Over the course of the coming days, we will work with the Governor's Office and the Indiana Election Division to confirm the proper steps moving forward and will provide an update at a later date."

Given the upcoming November midterm election, with early voting beginning as soon as October, it is possible that the governor will decide to have the special election at the same time as the midterm.

"That means as a voter, you would vote twice for a member of the House of Representatives," Andy Downs told IndyStar. He is the former director of the Mike Downs Center for Indiana Politics at Purdue University Fort Wayne and a foremost expert on Indiana politics.

Both he and Wolf predict that the special election will be held at the same time as the November midterm.

"More than likely, when you figure out all steps to figuring out a special election, it would be held on the same day (as the November election)," Downs said. "No. 1, the programming of machines so they can be used (comes into play). Second, the timing of when ballots are available comes into play. And a bunch of logistical issues come into play that just make it far easier for both elections to be held the same day."

This is what happened in 2010, when voters in Indiana's 3rd Congressional District, which includes Fort Wayne, were left without a representative when Rep. Mark Souder resigned after admitting to an affair with a female staffer.

Then-Gov. Mitch Daniels called for a special election to be held the same time as the November midterm election, Wolf said, citing the infrastructure and cost of holding an election, as well as ensuring the attentiveness of voters.

If this were to happen, there would be two questions on the ballot for the 2nd Congressional District: who should fill the unexpired term, and who should serve the district for the next term, Downs said.

It would be overwhelmingly likely that the same candidate would win both elections, in that case, Downs said, because voters would vote the same way on the same ballot.

But in the unlikely event two different candidates win the special election and the midterm election, the winner of the special election would serve until the end of Rep. Walorski's unexpired term, which would be Jan 3, 2023, and the winner of the midterm election would serve from the start of the next term, also Jan 3, 2023.

Wolf said the Democrat nominee for the special election is likely to be Paul Steury, who is the nominee for the November midterm election.

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

not that it really matters, but it appears the car Rep. Walorski was in was the offender.

Yep, the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office released an updated statement:

”The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office has obtained updated information into the vehicle crash that occurred on August 3, 2022. The information from the preliminary investigation at the scene, as to the direction of travel of the vehicles, was not correct. The continuing investigation has located eyewitness and video evidence.

Both confirm that the maroon Buick LeSabre driven by Edith Schmucker, 56, Nappanee, Indiana, was southbound on SR 19 south of SR 119 and the silver Toyota RAV 4, driven by Zachery Potts, 27, Mishawaka, Indiana, was northbound on SR 19. The Toyota RAV 4 crossed the centerline for reasons that are unknown at this time and the two vehicles collided. All occupants of both vehicles were confirmed to have been wearing seatbelts and airbags did deploy. The Sheriff’s Office is continuing to interview witnesses and collect evidence from the scene and vehicles. If anyone has information or witnessed this crash, we ask that they contact the Sheriff’s Office. If any new information becomes available as the investigation continues, we will send updated releases.”

I had to look up Edith because I might have known her or her husband. Turns out she was unmarried and grew up in Warsaw, IN so I didn’t know her. But I spent my adolescence in that part of the world, knew some Schmuckers who’d be about that age now, and I know that area and that road intimately. I’ll spare you the nostalgia trip but to a certain extent this hits close to home. (And if you take SR 119 from there it will take you to Goshen, IN where my mom currently lives.)

RIP, Edith.

https://heavy.com/news/edith-schmucker

Edited by WhatTheBuck

46 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

It might vary by state, but in my experience, yes.  My mom & dad were very close with MO Governor Mel Carnahan and his wife Jean.  Mel was running for US Senate and died in a campaign trail plane crash.  His wife Jean took his place and won the Senate seat.  She served for two years.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Bom Dia Hello GIF

B9E17F26-E297-4BDB-9291-7EEB47F2598A.thumb.jpeg.38d8daee5cb3d9a20331afafe199d755.jpeg

"She was a Republican so it's good she's dead" posts
more like 'she was a traitor and supported a seditious plot against our democracy' but tomato, tomahto i suppose

Just wait until the DT crowd finds out how they've lost their friends' respect for continuing to support these shitheads.

Anyway, my worst day on earth is now better than this traitor's best day in Hell.

8 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

290 West.

Death trap. Continues to be. 

About a year ago, I was driving on 290 west, west of Harper, almost to I-10. Speed limit is 75, so I was probably going 75 to 80, in a Honda Civic econobox. A grey pick up or SUV going east bound (also probably at 75 to 80)drifted into my lane. I had to swerve into the break down lane with right two wheels in the gravel. I fishtailed puling back onto the pavement, but kept it under control. If I had been in my pickup, I probably wouldn't have been able to keep from losing control.

I had to pull over and stop I was shaking so bad. I was so angry that I almost turned around and chased that fucker down, but eventually I went on my way.

If I had been messing with the radio, or if there had been a culvert or something right there, I wouldn't be here today posting with you assholes.

Two way, high speed highways are death traps.

Anyway, in this case, I'm going to save all my sympathies for the woman in the other car, not the traitors in the car that can't be bothered to pay fucking attention when driving.

19 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

About a year ago, I was driving on 290 west, west of Harper, almost to I-10. Speed limit is 75, so I was probably going 75 to 80, in a Honda Civic econobox. A grey pick up or SUV going east bound (also probably at 75 to 80)drifted into my lane. I had to swerve into the break down lane with right two wheels in the gravel. I fishtailed puling back onto the pavement, but kept it under control. If I had been in my pickup, I probably wouldn't have been able to keep from losing control.

I had to pull over and stop I was shaking so bad. I was so angry that I almost turned around and chased that fucker down, but eventually I went on my way.

If I had been messing with the radio, or if there had been a culvert or something right there, I wouldn't be here today posting with you assholes.

Two way, high speed highways are death traps.

Anyway, in this case, I'm going to save all my sympathies for the woman in the other car, not the traitors in the car that can't be bothered to pay fucking attention when driving.

this indiana state route is two lanes, 55 mph, without paved shoulder.  part of the country where roads are spaced a mile apart and run straight E-W and N-S.  the township system at work (also probably the reason american cars didn't corner good - when the corners are all tight 90° affairs that you have to stop at anyway, tune for cushy ride instead). 

https://goo.gl/maps/4ujVCNLt9w2TLopj6

9 hours ago, HenryJames said:

image.gif.6373c766f3ac3f6d9046db36961d47ad.gif

I honestly had no idea who this miserable bitch was before her passing. A very under the radar member of congress I’m assuming. The only bad thing is that it might help elevate Elise Stefanik’s status even more in the leadership hierarchy?   I really hate Stefanik.

18 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Surprised at Imma allowing it, but I guess I shouldn't be.

I reported a reply 12 hours ago, so looks like he's ok with the disgusting turn of this thread?  (I think you can count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times I've reported a post.)

Not so much for CR in the DT (though once again, we see this rule is often only enforced in 1 direction) but rather for the multiple, "She was a Republican so it's good she's dead" posts.

Maybe it didn't reach him or Blacklab.  The other mods that I'm aware of are Hayden and Pancho. 

Effectively telling half your target fan base to "Rest In Piss" if they die in an accident (or any other way) would at least seem to be bad for business.  

How others reacted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/indiana-national-leaders-react-u-211117196.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/indiana-rep-jackie-walorski-killed-car-accident-rcna41410

President Joe Biden

"Jill and I are shocked and saddened by the death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski of Indiana along with two members of her staff in a car accident today in Indiana. Born in her beloved South Bend as the daughter of a meat-cutter and firefighter, she spent a lifetime serving the community that she grew up in – as a journalist, a nonprofit director, a state legislator, and eventually as a Member of Congress for the past nine and half years.

We may have represented different parties and disagreed on many issues, but she was respected by members of both parties for her work on the House Ways and Means Committee on which she served. She also served as co-chair of the House Hunger Caucus, and my team and I appreciated her partnership as we plan for a historic White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health this fall that will be marked by her deep care for the needs of rural America.

We send our deepest condolences to her husband, Dean, to the families of her staff members, Zachery Potts and Emma Thomson, who lost their lives in public service, and to the people of Indiana’s Second District who lost a representative who was one of their own."

Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who was traveling in Asia, ordered the flags at the Capitol to be flown at half-staff in honor of Walorski and her staffers, her spokesman said.

“A lifelong Hoosier, Congresswoman Walorski lived a life of service: whether caring for impoverished children in Romania, representing her community in the Indiana Statehouse or serving nearly a decade in the House," Pelosi said in a statement. "She passionately brought the voices of her north Indiana constituents to the Congress, and she was admired by colleagues on both sides of the aisle for her personal kindness."

The White House said it will fly flags at half-staff on Wednesday and Thursday in memory of Walorski.

Secretary Pete Buttigieg

I'm shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the other victims of this terrible crash.

Rep. Liz Cheney

Heartbroken to hear the terrible news about Jackie Walorski, Zachary Potts and Emma Thompson. There was no more dedicated or effective member of Congress than Jackie. I was proud to be her friend. Phil and I are keeping Jackie, Zachary and Emma’s families in our prayers.

Indiana House Democrats

Our representatives and staff are valued and cherished members of our team and losing even a single person is heartbreaking, let alone three. Our caucus is sending thoughts, prayers, well wishes and hopes for peace to Rep. Walorski, Zachery and Emma's families tonight.

Mike Schmuhl, Chairman of the Indiana Democratic Party

“On behalf of the Indiana Democratic Party, I want to express our sincere condolences to the friends and loved ones of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski, Chairman Zach Potts, and Emma Thomson.

Jackie Walorski was a dedicated public servant, who cared deeply about her constituents and northern Indiana. If you’re a Hoosier, you’re a member of one family, and Indiana tragically lost dedicated family members today.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families, to members of the communities across the Second District, and to the Indiana Republican Party.

Congresswoman Walorski served with devotion and passion in both the Indiana General Assembly and the U.S. House of Representatives. She made a lasting impact on Indiana and the United States.”

Cry more.

• Hook 'Em 2

Surprised at Imma allowing it, but I guess I shouldn't be.
I reported a reply 12 hours ago, so looks like he's ok with the disgusting turn of this thread?  (I think you can count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times I've reported a post.)
Not so much for CR in the DT (though once again, we see this rule is often only enforced in 1 direction) but rather for the multiple, "She was a Republican so it's good she's dead" posts.
Maybe it didn't reach him or Blacklab.  The other mods that I'm aware of are Hayden and Pancho. 
Effectively telling half your target fan base to "Rest In Piss" if they die in an accident (or any other way) would at least seem to be bad for business.  

How others reacted:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/indiana-national-leaders-react-u-211117196.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/indiana-rep-jackie-walorski-killed-car-accident-rcna41410
President Joe Biden
"Jill and I are shocked and saddened by the death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski of Indiana along with two members of her staff in a car accident today in Indiana. Born in her beloved South Bend as the daughter of a meat-cutter and firefighter, she spent a lifetime serving the community that she grew up in – as a journalist, a nonprofit director, a state legislator, and eventually as a Member of Congress for the past nine and half years.
We may have represented different parties and disagreed on many issues, but she was respected by members of both parties for her work on the House Ways and Means Committee on which she served. She also served as co-chair of the House Hunger Caucus, and my team and I appreciated her partnership as we plan for a historic White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health this fall that will be marked by her deep care for the needs of rural America.
We send our deepest condolences to her husband, Dean, to the families of her staff members, Zachery Potts and Emma Thomson, who lost their lives in public service, and to the people of Indiana’s Second District who lost a representative who was one of their own."
Speaker Nancy Pelosi
Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who was traveling in Asia, ordered the flags at the Capitol to be flown at half-staff in honor of Walorski and her staffers, her spokesman said.
“A lifelong Hoosier, Congresswoman Walorski lived a life of service: whether caring for impoverished children in Romania, representing her community in the Indiana Statehouse or serving nearly a decade in the House," Pelosi said in a statement. "She passionately brought the voices of her north Indiana constituents to the Congress, and she was admired by colleagues on both sides of the aisle for her personal kindness."
The White House said it will fly flags at half-staff on Wednesday and Thursday in memory of Walorski.
Secretary Pete Buttigieg
I'm shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic death of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the other victims of this terrible crash.
Rep. Liz Cheney
Heartbroken to hear the terrible news about Jackie Walorski, Zachary Potts and Emma Thompson. There was no more dedicated or effective member of Congress than Jackie. I was proud to be her friend. Phil and I are keeping Jackie, Zachary and Emma’s families in our prayers.
Indiana House Democrats
Our representatives and staff are valued and cherished members of our team and losing even a single person is heartbreaking, let alone three. Our caucus is sending thoughts, prayers, well wishes and hopes for peace to Rep. Walorski, Zachery and Emma's families tonight.
Mike Schmuhl, Chairman of the Indiana Democratic Party
“On behalf of the Indiana Democratic Party, I want to express our sincere condolences to the friends and loved ones of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski, Chairman Zach Potts, and Emma Thomson.
Jackie Walorski was a dedicated public servant, who cared deeply about her constituents and northern Indiana. If you’re a Hoosier, you’re a member of one family, and Indiana tragically lost dedicated family members today.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families, to members of the communities across the Second District, and to the Indiana Republican Party.
Congresswoman Walorski served with devotion and passion in both the Indiana General Assembly and the U.S. House of Representatives. She made a lasting impact on Indiana and the United States.”

You should be far more angry than any of these libs. This bitch claims to pro-life, then she goes and dies! The betrayal you must feel.

I bet she was lying all along....

(She's lying forever now).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep, the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office released an updated statement:

”The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office has obtained updated information into the vehicle crash that occurred on August 3, 2022. The information from the preliminary investigation at the scene, as to the direction of travel of the vehicles, was not correct. The continuing investigation has located eyewitness and video evidence.

Both confirm that the maroon Buick LeSabre driven by Edith Schmucker, 56, Nappanee, Indiana, was southbound on SR 19 south of SR 119 and the silver Toyota RAV 4, driven by Zachery Potts, 27, Mishawaka, Indiana, was northbound on SR 19. The Toyota RAV 4 crossed the centerline for reasons that are unknown at this time and the two vehicles collided. All occupants of both vehicles were confirmed to have been wearing seatbelts and airbags did deploy. The Sheriff’s Office is continuing to interview witnesses and collect evidence from the scene and vehicles. If anyone has information or witnessed this crash, we ask that they contact the Sheriff’s Office. If any new information becomes available as the investigation continues, we will send updated releases.”

I had to look up Edith because I might have known her or her husband. Turns out she was unmarried and grew up in Warsaw, IN so I didn’t know her. But I spent my adolescence in that part of the world, knew some Schmuckers who’d be about that age now, and I know that area and that road intimately. I’ll spare you the nostalgia trip but to a certain extent this hits close to home. (And if you take SR 119 from there it will take you to Goshen, IN where my mom currently lives.)

RIP, Edith.

https://heavy.com/news/edith-schmucker

that must have been one hell of a crash to kill all 4 - buckled in, airbags deployed.

• Hook 'Em 1