How many wins will Texas have this season?

perfectchaos007

How many wins will Texas have this season (2022)?   

274 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will Texas have this season (2022)?

• 4 or less wins (somehow regressed from last year)
    • 5 wins (same as last year)
    • 6 wins (bowl eligible)
    • 7 wins (7 win Steve lives up to his namesake)
    • 8 wins (About where Vegas puts us)
    • 9 wins (A little better than what was projected by oddsmakers)
    • 10 wins (Would be our 2nd 10 win season since 2009)
    • 11 wins (Best season since 2009)
    • 12+ wins (Team becomes immortalized for unironically bringing Texas "back")

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/22 at 11:56 PM

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are absurd. 

But you know I'm right.

And when we're 1-2, y'all will be running around like Chicken Littles with their heads cut off, screaming to burn it all down. Even though this is entirely expected, given that we'll be starting a bunch of guys who were at prom six months ago.

I'm mostly with this analysis.  I think ou/baylor is 1-1 and OSU is kryptonite.  That said I think bama is a W.  they lost the NC last year and lost a bunch of talent.  Saban doesn't typically do the whole bravado thing and he's certainly doing that this year.  I think he's burnt out and realizes he doesn't have that good of a team so he's trying to do what he can to keep recruiting up and keep the media under the tent with him.  Sark also tends to peak early in a season so I see him smashing teeth for the first few games, which includes a W over bama.
That said I think the grind of conference play causes some whiffs down the stretch.  I'm thinking OSU is an L, one of baylor/ou is an L, and then we drop one or two surprise conference games toward the end of the season to crush our collective spirits.
So 8-4, maybe 9-3 heading in to bowl season.

Well, this is a uniquely original take, I’ll give you that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I don’t know how you can look at the 2 rosters and think Bama beats us by less than 21. I really hope I’m wrong but I think closer than that is a great sign for the rest of the season. 

Sounds like something a chicken fucker would say. 

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

But you know I'm right.

And when we're 1-2, y'all will be running around like Chicken Littles with their heads cut off, screaming to burn it all down. Even though this is entirely expected, given that we'll be starting a bunch of guys who were at prom six months ago.

You gonna put money on that UTSA game?

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

But you know I'm right.

We aren't starting 1-2 you fucking vagina. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 8/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, 6th Street said:

Lol Sark has won 9 games only once in his 8 year coaching career and it took him 13 games to do it

I said 9 but only because less than that is unacceptable. The fact he is 13-31 in away games is not a good indicator of success. 

12 minutes ago, jinx said:

The fact he is 13-31 in away games is not a good indicator of success. 

This is part of why I think the ceiling on this year is fairly low. This is a very young team that was terrible on the road last year, with a coach that is terrible on the road. There's not a lot of reason to expect them to win many road games. Looking at the road schedule:

@ Tech: Conference opener, first road game. Ewers's first road start. Now, Tech's roster is just not that good and we all know how that game went last year, so Texas could absolutely win. But it could be the last trip Texas makes to Lubbock in a generation; the place will be absolutely rabid. New coach looking for a statement win. Last time Texas brought Blake Gideon to Lubbock, well... I think there's a good chance Sark accomplishes what Garrett Gilbert, Charlie Strong, and Tom Herman could not - losing in Lubbock.

OU: Not a true road game but definitely hostile. To me, OU gets the benefit of the doubt. Texas has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory two straight years. We know both offenses should be good (and Texas might actually be better for the first time in a long while). OU's defense is unknown, but Venables brings elite pedigree. However, we know the Texas defense is bad. Edge OU. I will say if Texas comes in 4-1 and looking something approaching competent on defense, I would probably pick Texas.

@OSU and @KSU: Both of these profile similarly for me. Texas has the offensive firepower to run either off the field (as they almost did to OSU last year) if given the chance. But if Texas is still having issues stopping the run, both can beat Texas with ball control and good defense. Another pair of Hateful 8 crowds. And this is getting to the point of the season where Texas could be facing either injury issues, which could be a death blow given the lack of depth, or motivation issues if they've already fallen behind in the Big 12. I think the best you can peg these for is a split.

@ Kansas: They're not fucking losing to Kansas again.

I have a hard time believing Texas does any better than 3-2 in that stretch, and I'd give 2-3 just as good of odds. That Tech game is going to be enormous for the psyche of the team.

Add a L from Bama, a probable L from Iowa State (Sark has not solved that defensive scheme, dating back to his time at Bama), and a Baylor game that will be a tossup at best (and could be a beat down if Texas has quit while Baylor has something to play for), and the losses really start to add up.

• Hook 'Em 1

we hired a retread coach with a jr. high hair cut, b-cup tits, and the nickname "7 win Steve". And then his dogshit coaching staff couldn't even pull that off....

losing to Kansas....

at home.

Anything over .500 and I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I chose 7 wins because there's always the chance Bijan learned to fly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lots of hyperbole in this thread. Seven wins should be very attainable. We could've reached that mark last year if we had competent replacements for the two point shavers (Moore, Foster) and a better option than Brockermeyer at LB. Throw out other misfortunes like Casey's thumb injury and the refs helping OU, we could've hit eight. 

This year most of the Big12 takes a step back. I'd set the O/U at 7.5. With good luck we hit 9. If we underachieve and only win 6 or fewer, I will be calling for the Gary Patterson era to begin.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, Rimbo said:

But you know I'm right.

We are at that time of the year where the notion of throwing a bunch of supposedly talented but completely untested freshmen into the fire is considered a plus that will make us better.

Soon we will be at that time of the year when a team full of unproven underclassmen do what they’re supposed to do and shit down their leg.

We just can’t get out of this cycle. It’s fucking crazy.

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No. None of the chicken Little’s have any actual conviction on their takes. 

What’s your conviction?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We are at that time of the year where the notion of throwing a bunch of supposedly talented but completely untested freshmen into the fire is considered a plus that will make us better.

Soon we will be at that time of the year when a team full of unproven underclassmen do what they’re supposed to do and shit down their leg.

We just can’t get out of this cycle. It’s fucking crazy.

What’s your conviction?

That it’s laughably absurd to think this team starts 1-2 or 0-3 and that we will win more than 6 games, probably a lot more. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I say 7. It puts us squarely in purgatory.

I have yet to see any recruiting for the past decade actually pay off, so I don't give shit about it. 

We've won 5 games almost as many times as we've won 8+ since 2010. Our program is Purdue, Wake Forest, Cal, South Carolina, Nebraska, just with a bigger name until proven otherwise.

image.png.e69c2a5303a48e07842b58d890e97e0b.png

I’m not saying it’ll have an impact THIS year, but Sark is the first guy since Mack in ‘06 to actually make OL recruiting a heavy focus. His three predecessors did not the majority of their careers here. Strong and Herman literally NEVER did. Mackovic was a much better OL recruiter. However, with Sark in his second year, and a real QB for a change (much more talent than anyone since Colt) after last year’s disastrous QB shitshow, I’d be surprised at only 7 wins in ‘22. I believe we will surprise some people this year. If we win 7, Sark probably will not make it beyond Herman’s tenure, and Arch will be in jeopardy. 

OL failures have been the Achilles heel of this team for 15 years and it’s glaring. Connor Williams was average - HERE - and Sam Cosmi was merely good. That is all we have to show for the last 15 years. Sark recognizes this and is trying to change all that. 

20 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

and a real QB for a change (much more talent than anyone since Colt)

That's making a lot of assumptions from high school tape and practice reports.   We know shit about our QB except that he's got zero experience.   

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

That's making a lot of assumptions from high school tape and practice reports.   We know shit about our QB except that he's got zero experience.   

Not a LOT of assumptions. Clearly there is one. But 1.00 QBs do not grow on trees. Just wait. He will be a star. 

28 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I agree but the chances of it being this year are slim.  

He’s gonna show a lot of promise and we will surprise. I think 2023-2025 will be outstanding years for Sark. I’m predicting 9 wins this season. 9-4, third place Big12 finish, going back to something that resembles 2000s era football. We had that for a fleeting moment in ‘18 but didn’t really have the lines ready. We won with superior play calling and use of Sam. 

I think the line will show true development, Bijan will have a monster year, X will have a monster year, and our D will be serviceable. Quinn will really flash and show monster games with a lot of games of multiple picks. 

30 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Worth noting that two Big 12 teams reached the 12 win mark last season. One of those teams only had 2 conference wins the year prior. (Texas had 3 conference wins last season by comparison)

Yeah, you know how Einstein flunked math, once? Well, my grades were even worse. Guaranteed victory. 

A lot of what happens this season depends on the Patterson effect. 

Will Patterson be a good soldier or an underminer? Did Del Conte bring him in as a back up plan, considering the years they worked together at TCU?

Sark already seems fragile, and knowing your possible replacement is already on staff could boost that, particularly since Patterson has a better resume.

Can Patterson bring back the old magic, or have things changed too much? The old "my way or the highway" doesn't work nearly as well in the era of the portal. 

Texas hits nine wins IF:

1. The QB situation works out
  2. Patterson plays the good soldier
  3. They quit shooting themselves in the dick (fake punt, 4th & 11, down by 3 with 9:43 left in the game)
  4. They keep playing until the end of the game. The number of blown leads is ridiculous. 

8-4

I usually drink the kool-aid but am trying to be realistic. We replaced a third of the roster which was much-needed. The team will be talented but young. Honestly we are at least a year away, probably two. I want to see the team improve as the season progresses. That will be a good sign that the players have bought in to the coaches. We end the season winning the Alamo or some similar bowl and have momentum going into 2023. Obviously I will be thrilled if we surpass my prediction.

Hook ‘em!

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Worth noting that two Big 12 teams reached the 12 win mark last season. One of those teams only had 2 conference wins the year prior. (Texas had 3 conference wins last season by comparison)

The team you are talking about, that had 2 wins the year prior, go look at what they did to improve. Then ask yourself, "Has Texas taken the same steps to improve?"

Edited by JFKFC

16 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yeah, you know how Einstein flunked math, once? Well, my grades were even worse. Guaranteed victory. 

A lot of what happens this season depends on the Patterson effect. 

Will Patterson be a good soldier or an underminer? Did Del Conte bring him in as a back up plan, considering the years they worked together at TCU?

Sark already seems fragile, and knowing your possible replacement is already on staff could boost that, particularly since Patterson has a better resume.

Can Patterson bring back the old magic, or have things changed too much? The old "my way or the highway" doesn't work nearly as well in the era of the portal. 

Texas hits nine wins IF:

1. The QB situation works out
  2. Patterson plays the good soldier
  3. They quit shooting themselves in the dick (fake punt, 4th & 11, down by 3 with 9:43 left in the game)
  4. They keep playing until the end of the game. The number of blown leads is ridiculous. 

Some of y'all are overthinking the Patterson shit way too much. He is what his title says he is. He's 62 and just ground out 20 seasons at TCU before being shown the door because the program was going in the wrong direction. 

If GP wants to be a head coach or DC then he will go do that somewhere else next season. But right now he has a cushy job with almost zero pressure while living in a great town. If the defense is an abject disaster through 5 games then MAYBE PK gets canned and GP does some interim DC stuff but there is zero.zero % chance he is taking Sark's job. If we are bad enough this season for Sark to be on the hot seat after year 2 then how does that reflect well on a guy who sort of flamed out at his last stop whose current job is to help this coaching staff avoid disaster? 

Of course he and CDC are buddies. That's why CDC lined him up with an awesome gig. That doesn't mean CDC thinks he'd actually be a candidate to take over at HC. I'm not sure there's any precedent for something like that happening. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, gmr548 said:

This is part of why I think the ceiling on this year is fairly low. This is a very young team that was terrible on the road last year, with a coach that is terrible on the road. There's not a lot of reason to expect them to win many road games. Looking at the road schedule:

@ Tech: Conference opener, first road game. Ewers's first road start. Now, Tech's roster is just not that good and we all know how that game went last year, so Texas could absolutely win. But it could be the last trip Texas makes to Lubbock in a generation; the place will be absolutely rabid. New coach looking for a statement win. Last time Texas brought Blake Gideon to Lubbock, well... I think there's a good chance Sark accomplishes what Garrett Gilbert, Charlie Strong, and Tom Herman could not - losing in Lubbock.

OU: Not a true road game but definitely hostile. To me, OU gets the benefit of the doubt. Texas has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory two straight years. We know both offenses should be good (and Texas might actually be better for the first time in a long while). OU's defense is unknown, but Venables brings elite pedigree. However, we know the Texas defense is bad. Edge OU. I will say if Texas comes in 4-1 and looking something approaching competent on defense, I would probably pick Texas.

@OSU and @KSU: Both of these profile similarly for me. Texas has the offensive firepower to run either off the field (as they almost did to OSU last year) if given the chance. But if Texas is still having issues stopping the run, both can beat Texas with ball control and good defense. Another pair of Hateful 8 crowds. And this is getting to the point of the season where Texas could be facing either injury issues, which could be a death blow given the lack of depth, or motivation issues if they've already fallen behind in the Big 12. I think the best you can peg these for is a split.

@ Kansas: They're not fucking losing to Kansas again.

I have a hard time believing Texas does any better than 3-2 in that stretch, and I'd give 2-3 just as good of odds. That Tech game is going to be enormous for the psyche of the team.

Add a L from Bama, a probable L from Iowa State (Sark has not solved that defensive scheme, dating back to his time at Bama), and a Baylor game that will be a tossup at best (and could be a beat down if Texas has quit while Baylor has something to play for), and the losses really start to add up.

I don't normally respond to your posts like this, but this one is especially bad. It's so bad 6th street repped you. Think about that and then feel bad. 

@Tech - So let me get this straight. You think Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and Garrett Gilbert can bumblefuck their way out of Lubbock with wins, but somehow this team with the most explosive offensive skill talent in decades is going to somehow shit the bed against a first year head coach inheriting a terrible roster? K

OU - We were smoking their asses last year and the guy who came in off the bench and put on a superman cape to bring them back isn't on the roster anymore, nor are their best coaches, nor are many of their best players. Literally every position is downgraded from last season. It's a rivalry game so anything can happen, but we should go in knowing we are going to win. 

@OSU & @KSU - OSU will be a legitimate test, but our losses to them over the years has largely been due to us beating ourselves. I feel it is a winnable game, but if we do lose then it is what it is. KSU is the most puzzling fools gold of the offseason. They were the team that stopped our 6 game slide last year at our lowest possible morale moment and we beat them without a QB. We have run over, around, and past them since Kleimann has been there. So now they want to roll out Adrian Martinez and people think they are going to be 5 wins better this season in conference? A guy who has never thrown for more than 2800 yards, has not topped 2000 yards twice, and has thrown for close to 10 interceptions per season? That sounds delightful. 

@Kansas - This one is going to be a hate fucking. Their fan in the stands will seek shelter at Phogg Allen by the end of the third quarter. 

Sure we could lose 2 of these games, but we shouldn't. I will be disappointed if we aren't 4-1 against these teams. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't normally respond to your posts like this, but this one is especially bad. It's so bad 6th street repped you. Think about that and then feel bad. 

@Tech - So let me get this straight. You think Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and Garrett Gilbert can bumblefuck their way out of Lubbock with wins, but somehow this team with the most explosive offensive skill talent in decades is going to somehow shit the bed against a first year head coach inheriting a terrible roster? K

OU - We were smoking their asses last year and the guy who came in off the bench and put on a superman cape to bring them back isn't on the roster anymore, nor are their best coaches, nor are many of their best players. Literally every position is downgraded from last season. It's a rivalry game so anything can happen, but we should go in knowing we are going to win. 

@OSU & @KSU - OSU will be a legitimate test, but our losses to them over the years has largely been due to us beating ourselves. I feel it is a winnable game, but if we do lose then it is what it is. KSU is the most puzzling fools gold of the offseason. They were the team that stopped our 6 game slide last year at our lowest possible morale moment and we beat them without a QB. We have run over, around, and past them since Kleimann has been there. So now they want to roll out Adrian Martinez and people think they are going to be 5 wins better this season in conference? A guy who has never thrown for more than 2800 yards, has not topped 2000 yards twice, and has thrown for close to 10 interceptions per season? That sounds delightful. 

@Kansas - This one is going to be a hate fucking. Their fan in the stands will seek shelter at Phogg Allen by the end of the third quarter. 

Sure we could lose 2 of these games, but we shouldn't. I will be disappointed if we aren't 4-1 against these teams. 

4-1 against these teams- Lose to Bama- coin flip against Baylor. Best WVU and ISU. 9.5-2.5 regular season. Then we have to big 12 title game and a bowl game to try to get to 10, 11 or 12. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 wins. I think we will be a lot better, and the Big 12 will be down.   Of course, I may be insane as I think there is chance that we beat Bama.  I am not basing this chance on anything except aggy misery.  The Football Gods have always punished aggy whenever they get too high.  They have enjoyed last year's win against Bama way too much, and we all know where that rollercoaster ends.  A win over Bama by us would bring the world back in balance. 

Edited by kegman

On 8/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, immamac said:

If there are 7 losses this season the thread will start. 

I think it will start with the 2nd loss.  And there will be 5 losses.  Sark hasn't proven yet he knows how to win.  And we are playing 4 teams who are definitely better than us.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Y’all saying 6 wins will be good I really don’t think have paid any attention to the talent infusion, much of which is tested and proven at the college level, that we’ve had in the last 9 months. 
we lost nobody. We gained 3 guys that we know are good at college football and likely 5 or 6 others that will be. We have a coupe special players coming in. 
Our WR room, for example, went from the worst that room has been this century to the best in the conference and top 5 in the country. 
we literally lost every 50/50 game out there last year which is just buzzards luck. Our record could not have been worse than 5-7. If we’d have done nothing more than play the season 100 times again without changing anything we’d have probably gone 7-5 as often as any other result. 
mine as joking about 14 wins but seriously- if this team doesn’t win 9 it’s a fucking abject disaster and we should be back channeling new head coaches. Or- we had some ugly injury luck. That is always a context that needs to be paid attention to. 

We lost the 50/50 games because Sarkasian was the coach.  We may have some really good talent coming in, but you really don't know what Freshmen will do.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Rimbo said:

OK, 0-3 is probably ridiculous. But y'all have wayyyyyyyyyy underestimated the time it takes for the impact players we've recruited to, well, you know... have an impact.

We are moving in the right direction. But

• The fuckery Sark inherited doesn't get un-fucked in one season.
  • Our defensive coaching staff is fine on an individual level, but suspect as a group.
  • Our OL, QB have been vastly upgraded in talent, but they're freshmen. They're teenagers.

And, we are yet again only in the second year of a completely brand-fucking-new system on both sides of the ball.

Look, I want to win. I want us to be the gods of all football. NIL is going to get us there, because we have guys like CTJ, Rob, immamac and (pardon me while I vomit in my mouth partially just saying this) SydneyCarton particpating in organizing the most badass NIL system in the nation. Our coaching staff, believe it or not, does not suck

But this is not (yet) our year.

Now if we are still winning only 7 games a year in, say, 2024? Then I'll be on the "Sark gotta go" bandwagon. With ferocity.

"Probably" ridiculous?????  ULM was 4-8 last year.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, gmr548 said:

Oh, I’m with you on the 7 wins thing. I don’t see a way this team wins more than 8. 6 is way more likely than 9 to me.

But Texas ain’t losing to no damn ULM or UTSA.

UTSA went 12-2 last year.  They are definitely one of the possible losses.  But to get to 9 (assuming you don't count bowls) just takes winning the 8 we should be favored in plus one of Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. or Baylor.  Its definitely possible.  But I do think 7 is the most likely number.  More likely we lose one of the 8 as favorites than win 1 of the 4 as dogs.

Just now, bullet said:

UTSA went 12-2 last year.  They are definitely one of the possible losses.  But to get to 9 (assuming you don't count bowls) just takes winning the 8 we should be favored in plus one of Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. or Baylor.  Its definitely possible.  But I do think 7 is the most likely number.  More likely we lose one of the 8 as favorites than win 1 of the 4 as dogs.

Stop. UTSA and fucking UL are bought wins. Don't be stupid and act like Texas is in the business of paying for losses. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stop. UTSA and fucking UL are bought wins. Don't be stupid and act like Texas is in the business of paying for losses. 

That is what UTSA was supposed to be.  But they improved quicker than expected.  Its not a sure thing.

Although I expect our losses to be Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Baylor and one of TCU, ISU or KSU.