Wildfire 2022 Thread

texasdago

Be it a dummy who dragged a chain behind his trailer or the dickhead who threw a cigarette butt into the grass along MoPac, track the latest human-fueled idiocy here.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/big-sky-fire-gillespie-county-wildfire-fredericksburg - Big Sky Fire

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/three-homes-rv-burned-down-in-smoke-rider-fire/ - Smoke Rider Fire

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/hermosa-fire-wimberley-wildfire-hays-county-texas-river-mountain-ranch - Hermosa Fire

...can't list all of them but here's a start.

Oh, and if you're curious what % contained means, I thought this was good...

https://www.redzone.co/2022/06/10/wildfire-containment-explained/#:~:text=“Containment” indicates how much of,and its potential for growth.

"If you live in an area prone to wildfires, one phrase you always listen for is “the fire is (x) percent contained.” A 95% contained fire sounds a lot less scary than a 5% contained fire. “Containment” indicates how much of the fire perimeter has been surrounded by a control line that the fire will not progress across. Rather than describing how much of the entire fire has been put out, containment refers solely to the perimeter itself and its potential for growth. On the maps, a red color indicates uncontained fire perimeter, and black is contained fireline."

Why 'This Is Fine' Is the Meme This Year Deserves - The New York Times

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Florida forest service is on site to relieve crews at the wimberley fire. No structures lost yet as of the judge’s update earlier this afternoon. Though he showed in his video how close one house got to being burned. It went right up to the deck and foundation.

Sounds like they are doing a great job of saving all those houses.  Don't think I've heard of a structure being burned.  I love that little section of Wimberley... really pretty in those hills but its either death by fire or flood. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

TR4pgwA5_bigger.jpg

Evacuation update on the #HermosaFire Per Hermosa Fire Incident Command: All evacuation orders will be lifted as of 6 p.m. (Friday) August 5. Residents will be able to return to their homes. **Please use extreme caution as firefighters and other emergency personnel and -

Got a 100 acre fire 0% contained on the south side of Lake Somerville. We were out on the boat this afternoon in a cove right next to it on the lake when we noticed it kicking off. Already burnt a few houses but it looks like it will eventually burn into the lake.

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Got a 100 acre fire 0% contained on the south side of Lake Somerville. We were out on the boat this afternoon in a cove right next to it on the lake when we noticed it kicking off. Already burnt a few houses but it looks like it will eventually burn into the lake.

This one is about 8 miles from my house.  It's the third significant wildfire requiring aerial assistance out there in the past couple of weeks.  My neighborhood is just off of a busy highway, with a greenbelt that's pretty much just a hay meadow separating the road and the houses.  The hay was cut last week and hasn't been raked yet.  I live in constant worry that some idiot on the highway is going to throw out a cigarette but and start a fire that races right up to one of the houses.  Seeing this happen three times now does little to tame those worries.  Holy shit we could use 6 or 8 inches of rain.

• Hook 'Em 2