Tom Herman joins CBS sports network as analyst

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Well, we just hired a recovering alcoholic in Sark. It’s all about getting admitted to the Nick Saban institute of coaching rehabilitation special analyst program at Alabama. 

The better wording was "active alcoholic" as mentioned by Armybrat above.

Sark was willing to get help. 

Sark also is probably one of the most likable coaches out there.  Every coach he’s been under whether it’s Pete Carrol, Saban or people he’s coached with have respect for him and genuinely seem to like him.  A lot easier to hire a nice likable person compared to an asshole like Herman.  I’d be shocked if he landed a blue blood job like Sark again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That and based on the rumors, on this board, he might have major off the field problems. 
People are talking about the buyout but if any of the rumors were true he may have a difficult time passing a background check. Who was it that said Herman had to be followed home by someone at Texas because they thought he was eventually going to get pulled over for a DUI? 
He's definitely good enough to get another job but are teams willing to hire an asshole alcoholic? 

There’s a lot of egomaniac assholes in college HC positions. That he stood out as such is pretty incredible, but I don’t think he’s being blacklisted because of it. DJ Durkin and Brian Kelly literally killed kids and have jobs.

As far as the alcohol angle, there’s never been an on the record incident so I don’t see why it would be a background issue. Joey Freshwater is gainfully employed. Sark parlayed a substance abuse problem and mediocre results at Washington to the USC job. Holgo’s been around forever. Etc etc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Sark also is probably one of the most likable coaches out there.  Every coach he’s been under whether it’s Pete Carrol, Saban or people he’s coached with have respect for him and genuinely seem to like him.  A lot easier to hire a nice likable person compared to an asshole like Herman.  I’d be shocked if he landed a blue blood job like Sark again.

Nick Saban.  Best coach and one of the biggest aholes out there.  How about Steve Spurrier?  Arti Briles would still be getting hired if not for the rapelor stuff.

Being an asshole is not a detriment to being hired as a head football coach.  And Hermann wasn't nearly as bad as those guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, bullet said:

Nick Saban.  Best coach and one of the biggest aholes out there.  How about Steve Spurrier?  Arti Briles would still be getting hired if not for the rapelor stuff.

Being an asshole is not a detriment to being hired as a head football coach.  And Hermann wasn't nearly as bad as those guys.

There are truly arrogant assholes (Saban, Spurrier, Briles) and then there are fake arrogance, sad, insecure assholes (Herman).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:52 PM, Zeus said:

3rd down got to go with the QB power here

4th down I'd call the QB power again you get the extra blocker it's just math

The Binder.  Damn it, he better use The Binder.   Maybe he'll share a few algos from the Binder.

You know, impress us with his unique fake-MENSA ability to determine play success/fail probabilities on the fly.

I'm sure he'll draw these up on the screen between plays.

Fuck this guy

spacer.png

Edited by Shaggy3.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Mack Brown is mediocre at UNC.

Charlie Strong is a position coach now.

Herman actually could have been great but he went mental, banged Kendra, and now calls AAC games on Tuesday nights.

Sark, break the curse!!!

Edited by NoRagrets
  • Like 1

Lulz at all this “he’s a really really good coach” nonsense. At UH & UT he won with the prior coaches recruits. As his own recruits started filling the ranks his teams got worse. Look at the disaster we had last season, that roster was his fault. Horrible talent evaluator.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Lulz at all this “he’s a really really good coach” nonsense. At UH & UT he won with the prior coaches recruits. As his own recruits started filling the ranks his teams got worse. Look at the disaster we had last season, that roster was his fault. Horrible talent evaluator.

Well maybe he is a good coach, just a bad recruiter. And kind of a iffy human being.

Edited by Valmy77

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well maybe he is a good coach, just a bad recruiter. And kind of a iffy human being.

He's the kinda guy that can't get around or out of the way of his own flaws, which are numerous. He's an insecure pussy with very limited ability to work successfully with people.  Any people.  Put him in any sort of leadership role and he's going to fail terribly.  

Maybe he figures it out or gets therapy or repents or whatever the fuck, and gets an opportunity to prove himself as a head coach again.  He'd have a huge hill to climb.  No one wants to touch the guy right now for coaching opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 3

Herman is an above average head coach.  His main problem is that he thinks he is a lot smarter than he is.  Some of his fundamental beliefs on how to win in CFB are wrong, but somehow he still manages to be great as a dog and stay close in virtually every game.  Based on his UH record, especially ahead of when his team realized he was shagging ass to LSU or Texas, I thought he was a great hire for us.  His "Momentum is an illusion" speech/presser/wherever I heard him say that really made me question that almost immediately though.  

I am surprised he is not coaching again by now, I guess he is just milking the buy out...but that calls into question how bad he wants this.  This being to be a respected, winning FBS P5 head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes he’s an asshole, but as soon as his buyout expires Tom will be hired as a coach.  He didn’t lose to Kansas and somehow manages to win all his bowl games which is all that matters for most schools.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SDG said:

Yes he’s an asshole, but as soon as his buyout expires Tom will be hired as a coach.  He didn’t lose to Kansas and somehow manages to win all his bowl games which is all that matters for most schools.

Didn't Texas already settle on a buyout with Mensa ??

If so, he probably doesn't have any limitations on taking a new coaching job.  

That and based on the rumors, on this board, he might have major off the field problems. 
People are talking about the buyout but if any of the rumors were true he may have a difficult time passing a background check. Who was it that said Herman had to be followed home by someone at Texas because they thought he was eventually going to get pulled over for a DUI? 
He's definitely good enough to get another job but are teams willing to hire an asshole alcoholic? 

That sounds made up. Why would you hire a person to follow somebody home because you were worried about them getting a dwi? To be able to say “yep, I saw it here first”.

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Didn't Texas already settle on a buyout with Mensa ??

If so, he probably doesn't have any limitations on taking a new coaching job.  

I haven’t seen anything to that effect, but that would be great if true.   

anyone got intel on this?  

10 minutes ago, SDG said:

I haven’t seen anything to that effect, but that would be great if true.   

anyone got intel on this?  

Best info I could find, but it's not definite...

Jan 2, 2021

Herman is owed $15 million as a buyout and it will cost the school nearly $24 million to fire the entire coaching staff, according to Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel.

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-fired-buyout-numbers-Steve-Sarkisian-158315227/ 

Edited by LTtxfan

32 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That sounds made up. Why would you hire a person to follow somebody home because you were worried about them getting a dwi? To be able to say “yep, I saw it here first”.

To keep a patrol car from getting behind him, and make it go away with a quickness if he were to get pulled over. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the SMU/UNT replay. Herman is super awkward on color - a lot of stuttering and indecisiveness - sounds nervous. 

But he's pretty good. He doesn't say much if any stupid shit and has some decent insight. Certainly better than the Lowell/Acho show. 

Tom was/is an asshole, but that had nothing to do with him being fired, and has nothing to do with him not coaching now. Remember when we tried replacing him with Urban?

He was fired for being mediocre. He's a high floor/low ceiling coach. His teams play physical and he has some talent as a game planner (when he feels like it), but he doesn't know how to run an elite program. He had multiple recruiting classes with only two O-linemen, and Kai Money was getting meaningful snaps in his final year. Watching guys like Luke Brockermeyer and Jett Bush on our 3rd string defense last night was a nice reminder of his terrible roster management.

• Hook 'Em 7