Oven/range - what do I want

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Back when we were looking it seems like Thermador had some decent package prices. Wolf/Subzero/Cove were more expensive. Both had significant supply chain delays.

We're just in design phase now, so we have plenty of time to order what we want.  Won't start construction until next June at the earliest.

• Like 1

We're just in design phase now, so we have plenty of time to order what we want.  Won't start construction until next June at the earliest.
Our range, oven, and dishwasher actually came too fast. Been sitting in the garage for a few months. Hopefully they work. The Subzero was going to take over a year, but we decided to just reuse our KitchenAid fridge for now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

One really cool thing that I haven't seen anywhere else:  our ovens have racks on rollers.  You can roll the rack out with a bigass dutch oven or turkey or something else large/heavy and just easily pick it right up without having to reach in and slide.

I’ve got one of those for my top rack in the oven. They’re handy.

A few things.
The Thermador had the largest oven in the range/stove top combos we saw at 5.7 cu. ft. Rather then 2 ovens of the same size we wanted one really large oven and then the smaller steam oven. 
BTUs - the wolf 6 burners were 1 - 9k, 2- 15k, 2 -18k and 1 - 20k. The Thermador is 2 - 12.5k. 1 - 15k, 2 - 18k, 1 - 22k. More BTUs = more Power 

image.thumb.png.9097501adacbfbb846458daf9b08f0c7.png
How much venting do you have for those BTUs?

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
15 hours ago, hornbri said:

A few things.
The Thermador had the largest oven in the range/stove top combos we saw at 5.7 cu. ft. Rather then 2 ovens of the same size we wanted one really large oven and then the smaller steam oven. 
BTUs - the wolf 6 burners were 1 - 9k, 2- 15k, 2 -18k and 1 - 20k. The Thermador is 2 - 12.5k. 1 - 15k, 2 - 18k, 1 - 22k. More BTUs = more Power 

How much venting do you have for those BTUs?

It will be a large hood, it is going to have a dual blower that can do up to 1100 CFM. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One really cool thing that I haven't seen anywhere else:  our ovens have racks on rollers.  You can roll the rack out with a bigass dutch oven or turkey or something else large/heavy and just easily pick it right up without having to reach in and slide.

A bunch of the Thermador ovens have this now. It is a cool feature. 

This may be of some import to you, but in several municipalities, new gas ranges are no longer allowed due to CO emissions, and potential health implications.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/gas-stoves-are-worse-for-climate-and-health-than-previously-thought-180979494/

(That said, I'm not giving mine up-they'll have to pry my burned, crispy hands off of it)

Edited by TeeDubya

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, deadshank said:

See posts 24 and 27 in this thread. 

I have yet to explore all the features of our steam oven or our speed oven/microwave yet.  I've used the steam feature on "quick clean" since I refuse to use any of the high heat self-cleaning features.  But for all the benefits to the steam oven, I'm guessing it can't reheat leftovers in 2 minutes, right?  I get many of the reasons a microwave is less than great, but when I'm in a hurry, I'm in a hurry. 

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I have yet to explore all the features of our steam oven or our speed oven/microwave yet.  I've used the steam feature on "quick clean" since I refuse to use any of the high heat self-cleaning features.  But for all the benefits to the steam oven, I'm guessing it can't reheat leftovers in 2 minutes, right?  I get many of the reasons a microwave is less than great, but when I'm in a hurry, I'm in a hurry. 

Why are you in a hurry?  The re-heating / steam-convection does not take that long and the finished product is vastly superior and won't rubberize your food.

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Why are you in a hurry?  The re-heating / steam-convection does not take that long and the finished product is vastly superior and won't rubberize your food.

Two kids, a wife, two dogs, a job, a workout routine, need to get the car inspected, we just ran out of milk and eggs, I hit the snooze button.  I could go on.

I'll give it a go soon. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Anyone have an oven with Air Fryer capabilities?   r.

I saw an Electrolux with this setting at some point.  Seems like Air fryers are just small convection ovens and vice versa.  The convection setting on my oven crisps similarly to the air fryer, but with its smaller size, the air fryer heats up faster and is able to be a bit more focused.  It looks like they make air fryer baskets for convection ovens.  Seems like it would be a mess though.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I saw an Electrolux with this setting at some point.  Seems like Air fryers are just small convection ovens and vice versa.  The convection setting on my oven crisps similarly to the air fryer, but with its smaller size, the air fryer heats up faster and is able to be a bit more focused.  It looks like they make air fryer baskets for convection ovens.  Seems like it would be a mess though.

I’ve seen them promoted in some ads and wondered how they worked.   I haven’t been appliance shopping in a few years, save for a new Dishwasher, so I haven’t done a deep dive in the latest in ovens and range tops.   But will be doing so in three years when we think we will be building a new home.   Good tips here about going gas for range top and electric for ovens.   I was getting ready to do gas for all.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have thoughts on griddle vs grill top for a 60" range?  I had planned on going with a 24" griddle so I don't have to buy a Blackstone:

spacer.png

But then I saw that some companies also make a 12" griddle and a 12" grill for that spot.

spacer.png

Anyone have one with both?  I'm wondering if a 12" grill or griddle is big enough? Might be nice to have the grill when I don't feel like firing up the BGE.  I don't have a gas grill and don't plan on getting one.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have thoughts on griddle vs grill top for a 60" range?  I had planned on going with a 24" griddle so I don't have to buy a Blackstone:

spacer.png

But then I saw that some companies also make a 12" griddle and a 12" grill for that spot.

spacer.png

Anyone have one with both?  I'm wondering if a 12" grill or griddle is big enough? Might be nice to have the grill when I don't feel like firing up the BGE.  I don't have a gas grill and don't plan on getting one.

I had this exact debate. We went with the first option primarily because I use my griddle much more often then I use my gas grill outside.

My other thought was when I really want to grill something it is about being outside. If I have a need to char indoor a broiler or the open gas flame and a pair of tongs works just as well. 

my 2 cents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a fan of indoor grills. Go drag your old Weber into the house. That’s what a indoor grill is like. Nasty. You have to clean immaculately and get rid of the grease.

I don’t get the hatred of microwaves. They have a place in any kitchen, especially in families. A child can use it safely.

Folks who refuse a microwave are the same folks that don’t have a TV. Or those that hide it in the cupboard. Jesus.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Not a fan of indoor grills. Go drag your old Weber into the house. That’s what a indoor grill is like. Nasty. You have to clean immaculately and get rid of the grease.

I don’t get the hatred of microwaves. They have a place in any kitchen, especially in families. A child can use it safely.

Folks who refuse a microwave are the same folks that don’t have a TV. Or those that hide it in the cupboard. Jesus.

I hear you on the indoor grill, but doesn't a griddle make a similar mess?  As for the microwave, we will have one but it will be in the pantry out of sight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Another thought, some of those have a French Cook Top which is also a good choice. 

I can't figure out why the hell someone would want a French Cook Top.  I even watched a video.  Still don't get it.  And it takes several minutes to get hot enough to cook on.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, hornbri said:

Another thought, some of those have a French Cook Top which is also a good choice. 

French cooktops aren't griddles though.  They are single control flat tops where you move the cookware around the surface for different temps, the highest being over the large removable disk at the center of the surface.  They often are made from different materials from griddles and intentionally are heated unevenly.  The advantage is a gentler transfer of heat for cooking certain things that benefit form that and for keeping lots of things warm around the edges.  Removing the center disk for a wok also is pretty cool.  I wouldn't think most of us would have much use for it. 

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

French cooktops aren't griddles though.  They are single control flat tops where you move the cookware around the surface for different temps, the highest being over the large removable disk at the center of the surface.  They often are made from different materials from griddles and intentionally are heated unevenly.  The advantage is a gentler transfer of heat for cooking certain things that benefit form that and for keeping lots of things warm around the edges.  Removing the center disk for a wok also is pretty cool.  I wouldn't think most of us would have much use for it. 

I know it is not a griddle, it is also not a grill.

I agree with your overall thought though, if you don’t know what one is or why you would use it then it is not for you. I know a one person who has one and someone building a kitchen with one so that type of person does exist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Miele steam oven in the wall. We use it all the time. Really great for reheating previously smoked then frozen brisket and ribs. Did that twice this weekend when we had guests over and the resulting food taste perfect. Our range is a 48" Miele with double ovens. One is a speed oven and microwave, the other is just a traditional oven that rarely gets used. The bottom has a warming tray that we actually use a lot. Got rid of our microwave and toaster oven, so the counters all look tidy. Would not change a thing. 

We are thinking about doing the exact same. Separate steam oven and then the 48 inch with the speed/ microwave. How does the microwave work without a turntable? Does it heat evenly? Does the speed oven work as well as a standard convection oven?

I think that combo, along with the griddle on the cooktop, checks all our boxes.

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We are thinking about doing the exact same. Separate steam oven and then the 48 inch with the speed/ microwave. How does the microwave work without a turntable? Does it heat evenly? Does the speed oven work as well as a standard convection oven?

I think that combo, along with the griddle on the cooktop, checks all our boxes.

Microwave seems to works fine without turntable. The only thing we really microwave is easy mac for kids or the occasional pig in a blanket. Now that I think of it, my last microwave didn't turn either and it was fine. Speed oven works fine as does the convection. Steam oven is badass. I'm going to try making bread in it this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bluestar does not do dual fuel ovens, do they?  
I think I saw where they are coming out with one. Not sure if it's available yet.

Just looked and they're 'coming soon'. They also look to have sealed burners which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Blue Star which usually has open burners. Also also it adds a touch screen. I'd pass.

• 2 months later...
Well, fuck. Miele does not have service in the CO mountains. Looks like Bluestar still doesn't do dual fuel and we need to order soon.

Gonna be Viking or Thermador, it seems.
It seems like I've read better reviews on Thermador than Viking, but I have no evidence to back that up.
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 5:52 AM, Okie State said:
On 12/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, Chewbacca said:
Well, fuck. Miele does not have service in the CO mountains. Looks like Bluestar still doesn't do dual fuel and we need to order soon.

Gonna be Viking or Thermador, it seems.

It seems like I've read better reviews on Thermador than Viking, but I have no evidence to back that up.

I've had Thermador dual fuel ranges in my last two homes and couldn't have been happier with both of them. They've both been bulletproof - knock on wood - and are great for cooking. 

• Like 2

Bluestar is allowing orders for dual fuel ranges, so that might be the ticket. Maybe do a 48" Bluestar with a Miele steam oven. Wife loves the color options on the Bluestar, and it has the most BTUs for cooking, which matters at 9000 feet.
Do they have service in your area? They're a relatively unknown brand and most appliance dealers looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them.

Or I guess you said that was a Miele thing where they required their guys to work on it.

Do they have service in your area? They're a relatively unknown brand and most appliance dealers looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them.

Or I guess you said that was a Miele thing where they required their guys to work on it.
We still need to check on that, but sounds like it won't be an issue. Not like Miele.

Bluestar is not unknown around here. All the high end appliance places carry them.
  • Like 1