Post a pic/gif/tweet that makes you say "very cool"

nnm

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Probably was barking at its shadow on the building the whole way down. 

The clip says the dog was owned by the Montoya family. I’d like to think he was barking to the people below:

“Hello. My name is Cachi Montoya.  You killed my father. Prepare to die!”

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

What if she wanted to stay?  

Very appropriate point. She was a recluse most of her life. She probably did not want to go, and I think articulated that. 
Many of the kids captured by native Americans, and later “rescued” never readjusted, even if their time with the NA tribe was short. Fascinating read:

The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier https://a.co/2xLI7Os

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 12:14 PM, ABSR said:

She did.  She did not want to go back, did not speak English, was married (to the chief) with children in the Comanche tribe.  One son was Quanah Parker who was the last great Comanche warrior and became famous even when on the reservation.  Theodore Roosevelt met with Quanah on the reservation and had dinner at his home and went on hunting trips with him.

When Cynthia was captured Quanah and his brother who were around 10-13 age and ran away and later joined up with other then free roaming Comanches.   Cynthia was taken along with her young daughter, and having her daughter with her probably was what kept her from really running back to the Indians.   She wasn't mistreated by her family when she came back, but she never assimilated and she was always an oddity and side-show.

I'd recommend "Empire of the Summer Moon" for a history of Comanche's and Cynthia and Quanah Parker.

Yes, excellent book.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, nnm said:

My Great-great grandfather’s journal indicates he was in the Ranger party on the Parker recapture. 

Sul Ross claimed to be the one who found Cynthia Ann Parker, but I read an account somewhere that another Ranger actually recognized her and took her into custody.  When this was communicated to Ross, he took her and started telling folks that he, not the other Ranger, was the one to recover her.  Charles Goodnight, who was a Rnger in that fight, saw that and never had a good thing to say about Ross afterwards.  I've also seen the rumor that Goodnight was the Ranger who recognized Parker and had Ross steal his thunder.  I wish I could remember where I saw that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Sul Ross claimed to be the one who found Cynthia Ann Parker, but I read an account somewhere that another Ranger actually recognized her and took her into custody.  When this was communicated to Ross, he took her and started telling folks that he, not the other Ranger, was the one to recover her.  Charles Goodnight, who was a Rnger in that fight, saw that and never had a good thing to say about Ross afterwards.  I've also seen the rumor that Goodnight was the Ranger who recognized Parker and had Ross steal his thunder.  I wish I could remember where I saw that.

you don't remember at all where you saw any of this?

12 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

One of these days I'm going to figure out what account of this story to believe.  One, in Texas Monthly said she was horribly tortured,  nose burnt off with hot coals etc. I know I've partly read one other account and stopped because of the extreme variation in the stories.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

One of these days I'm going to figure out what account of this story to believe.  One, in Texas Monthly said she was horribly tortured,  nose burnt off with hot coals etc. I know I've partied one other account and stopped because of the extreme variation in the stories.

I'm reading "Texas Pasts", a book about how Texas history has been skewed by the myths that were taught to Texas school children to ingraine the political and social constructs of various times.  Let's just say that the Texas history "facts" that most have been taught have only a passing acquaintance with the reality of what actually happened.  It can be confusing and difficult to try to discern fact from myth.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

One of these days I'm going to figure out what account of this story to believe.  One, in Texas Monthly said she was horribly tortured,  nose burnt off with hot coals etc. I know I've partly read one other account and stopped because of the extreme variation in the stories.

To be fair, the Comanches (and all Indians who took slaves/prisoners) treated them fairly horribly.   Infants were almost always killed and adult women raped and usually ended up killed.  Men were tortured in horrible ways and killed.   It is only young kids who could do some work, but that were not adults yet, that usually ever survived or were possibly integrated into Indian society.  Or maybe ransomed back later.

We currently like to say the Indians were all good and peaceful people who were one with nature and it was the horrible White/Europeans doing all evil.  Before that it was our American story of manifest destiny and defeating the savages.  

In reality both sides had good and bad, and both sides had a lot of reprehensible activities.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2