Teen driver insurance questions

Summary of insurance tips, so far.

Lots of lube.

Shop around.

Ask for the good student discount.

Buy an ugly, slow car for the teen to drive.

Bundle.

Separation of insurance seems 50/50. I wondered if I could buy the teen's car outright and get them liability on their own plan. They won't be driving our cars, no fucking shot.

10 hours ago, pacman said:

Separation of insurance seems 50/50. I wondered if I could buy the teen's car outright and get them liability on their own plan. They won't be driving our cars, no fucking shot.

I don't recommend splitting kids off for several reasons. First, most of the time you're not going to save any real amount of money as you'll get better rates if the teen and their auto is "blended" with a couple of adult/parent drivers. An insurance carrier is going to price a teen-only policy accordingly with the assumption the kid is going to have an accident at some point and therefore won't be collecting premium on "safer" drivers. Second, we advise our clients all the time that until a child is no longer financially supported by their parents, you can very easily be found liable in an accident. That usually means until the kid is out of school, employed and living away from home.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, pacman said:

Summary of insurance tips, so far.

Lots of lube.

Shop around.

Ask for the good student discount.

Buy an ugly, slow car for the teen to drive.

Bundle.

Don’t exclude a driver unless you have no choice.  There may be an occasion when you need them to drive one of your cars.  Shit happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Don’t exclude a driver unless you have no choice.  There may be an occasion when you need them to drive one of your cars.  Shit happens.

This. And kids are prone to making poor decisions. Son/daughter, you're not allowed to drive this car ever. Not under any circumstance. OK, Pops. I hear you. I won't.

ferrari-crash-1.gif

dQsu6d.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Dang, no wonder so many teens aren't getting a driver's license.

I'm far off from this, but I pay about $900 annually for car insurance (two cars, two drivers). Y'all scaring me. Maybe self-driving cars will be a thing in 10 years.

Sidebar.

How should a claim for uninsured motorist look on your driving record?

Wife was a victim of road rage. He intentionally hit her car and drove off. The cops tracked him down easily but he was uninsured. It was enough damage to need insurance coverage but it looks like she is at fault on the report. Like a hail claim is marked as a claim but the uninsured motorist claim is marked as at fault.

Edited by pacman

On 9/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

If she is still part of your household as defined by your carrier, you better keep her on your policy. 

You can do exclusions in Texas but you absolutely can never let the excluded drive those cars. We did it a couple of years ago on on semi sports sedan that kept rates high. Put it on a separate policy.

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm far off from this, but I pay about $900 annually for car insurance (two cars, two drivers). Y'all scaring me. Maybe self-driving cars will be a thing in 10 years.

Teenagers, especially boys, will find ways to fuck shit up with self-driving cars.

22 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There are some who pay and more  this monthly.   But it's usually the parents driving record that makes it a mess premium wise to begin with.

22 hours ago, pacman said:

Sidebar.

Wife was a victim of road rage. He intentionally hit her car and drove off. The cops tracked him down easily but he was uninsured. It was enough damage to need insurance coverage but it looks like she is at fault on the report. Like a hail claim is marked as a claim but the uninsured motorist claim is marked as at fault.

Should be a not at fault.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, pacman said:

Sidebar.

You can get a letter from your insurer at the time stating that it was an uninsured claim as opposed to a collision claim, but you’re gonna have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Should be a not at fault.  

Yup.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

You can get a letter from your insurer at the time stating that it was an uninsured claim as opposed to a collision claim, but you’re gonna have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it.

Agreed on this. It will be a headache but it is really in your best interest to have this coded properly -- now and for the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yup.

Agreed on this. It will be a headache but it is really in your best interest to have this coded properly -- now and for the future.

This... Because your accident history/claims  are   taken into account by most careers for five years.  There might be a handful that look back three.  

18 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This... Because your accident history/claims  are   taken into account by most careers for five years.  There might be a handful that look back three.  

If we’re being truthful here they look at your entire claim history from the beginning of time. They just surcharge for at-fault claims within a certain time period.  But if your kid burned the house down on the same day your wife lost her $25k engagement ring and you had 6 claims that month for roadside assistance and windshield repair, that shit doesn’t just go away after 3/5 years plus one day.  It’s simply baked into whatever rate you get, which will be higher than your next door neighbor who had none of that shit happen.