The Hunt for Red October

22 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

My mom gave me the paperback as a stocking-stuffer one Christmas back in the 80's.

Great book and great movie.

Stuffed your mom's stocking one Christmas in the 80's, so this hits close to home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

One of my favorite books. Probably read it 10 times. The movie is a different story. At least 100 times. 

Way back in the '80s, I worked as a night computer operator, alone in the building with lots of down time on my hands.  I found this book, and was mesmerized by the technology he was describing on those subs, had no idea of the capabilities of these things. Couldn't put it down.

Movie came out and I was initially disappointed.  Upon several rewatches though have come to appreciate it for a great movie.

I had a fif grade assignment to make a diarama (sp?) so I chose a 1000 page book by Clancy.   I watched October and used my GI Joe’s to build a crazy fight scene with cotton balls for smoke.  It was cool and I got an A.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Book was much better.  I wish they would have played it more towards the surface ship/action/tension.  

Books are always better though.

Sure books are better.  You’ve got unending time to read plot and character development, details and exposition, etc.  You can imagine characters and settings in your own mind  

You've got prox 120 minutes for a film.  Can’t jam it all in that time frame.  

23 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Alec Baldwin is the best portrayal of Jack Ryan of all of them. Fight me.

Why? Jack Ryan is a reluctant hero. That certainly isn’t Harrison Ford. The rest, meh. 

Mid 80s Harrison Ford would've been an incredible Jack Ryan. Doppy 90s Harrison Ford who was cashing checks couldn't hold a candle to Alec Baldwin's portrayal.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Sure books are better.  You’ve got unending time to read plot and character development, details and exposition, etc.  You can imagine characters and settings in your own mind  

You've got prox 120 minutes for a film.  Can’t jam it all in that time frame.  

You don’t have to redo the ending though.  Somewhat of a complaint on Red October.  Huge complaint on Clear and Present Danger.

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Stuffed your mom's stocking one Christmas in the 80's, so this hits close to home. 

So you're the guy.

She told me about going to a bar after a lame office Christmas party with some friends and playing Truth or Dare. She had to fuck the most pathetic guy there, but when she took him to the backroom and took off her clothes the guy blew his load into her stockings without even touching her.

You owe my mom a pair of pantyhose!

You don’t have to redo the ending though.  Somewhat of a complaint on Red October.  Huge complaint on Clear and Present Danger.

Sounds like book talk. Your conclusions are all wrong. Objectively speaking, this movie has one of best endings in an action thriller.

10 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Book was much better.  I wish they would have played it more towards the surface ship/action/tension.  

Books are always better though.

I thought a book was a perfect place to read a submarine story. You can't recreate the dimensions of the undersea on the screen. I read a ton of submarine fiction when I was young. Even the book has some cringe worthy cornball which is Clancy's failing as a writer.

In the book, these Russian submarine officers watch ET a couple of times and cry after every viewing. In the movie, it's the corny shit about Montana, but I think that's about it. In the movie, they also make the subs speed along and maneuver life fighter planes. They just about have to because it wouldn't be very interesting watching subs lumbering along like whales without the grace.

Very good book. Solid movie.

I was talking to a foreign guy once and mentioned my obsession with submarine movies, and he remembered Red October. I tried to tell him that in addition to being a good movie, it had a great name for a movie. Literally anyone alive in the eighties remembers the name of this film.  Even people who don't care for military movies or submarines. Even today like 30 years later you see promos for fall baseball with the phrase Hunt for October or something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

The Clear and Present Danger film was a MASSIVE disappointment… by far the worst adaptation in the original run of Clancy films.

In addition to the completely different ending, they completely changed Clark from a high-level CIA operative into some kind of mercenary, which was bullshit. 

The Sum of All Fears was also a pretty big disappointment, but adapting that sprawling novel into a 2-hour movie and doing it justice would be almost impossible. I always thought it would be great as a prestige TV miniseries.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Clear and Present Danger film was a MASSIVE disappointment… by far the worst adaptation in the original run of Clancy films.

In addition to the completely different ending, they completely changed Clark from a high-level CIA operative into some kind of mercenary, which was bullshit. 

The Sum of All Fears was also a pretty big disappointment, but adapting that sprawling novel into a 2-hour movie and doing it justice would be almost impossible. I always thought it would be great as a prestige TV miniseries.

Yeahn someone should make a Jack Ryan tv series.  No way they can bork it.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, BornOrange said:

So you're the guy.

She told me about going to a bar after a lame office Christmas party with some friends and playing Truth or Dare. She had to fuck the most pathetic guy there, but when she took him to the backroom and took off her clothes the guy blew his load into her stockings without even touching her.

You owe my mom a pair of pantyhose!

petrino.jpg

On 8/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Elvis said:

I had a fif grade assignment to make a diarama (sp?) so I chose a 1000 page book by Clancy.   I watched October and used my GI Joe’s to build a crazy fight scene with cotton balls for smoke.  It was cool and I got an A.  

Used your GI Joe's what?

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

Never read the book, but the movie started me on a Tom Clancy kick, from Red Storm Rising (1986) through Debt of Honor (1994).  Just realized that coincided with our son (2nd child) being born, and that pretty much ended any free time I had for reading... 

After the movie came out I got TSoAF audio book read by David Ogden Stiers (Maj. Winchester- MASH). He was magnificent. Of course when they made the movie it was Ben f'n Aflek and they screwed everything up.

• Hook 'Em 1