The Hunt for Red October

billfromlaketravis

On 8/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Scott Glenn, damn he nails every role 

The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch.

Seems like I remember a behind-the-scenes thing from the DVD where Scott Glenn talks about playing Mancuso.

He went on a “ride along” with a Los Angeles-class submarine prior to production and was surprised how “book-ish”, “calm” and “understated”, the Captain was… he basically patterned his entire performance after this particular Captain, including the same haircut and those glasses he wore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:55 AM, Captain Ron said:

Alec Baldwin is the best portrayal of Jack Ryan of all of them. Fight me.

Why? Jack Ryan is a reluctant hero. That certainly isn’t Harrison Ford. The rest, meh. 

Perhaps I’m being whooshed, but I don’t think I know anyone who would argue that Baldwin wasn’t the best hands down. 

Great movie. Find myself stopping and watching every time I see it on. 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:55 AM, Captain Ron said:

Alec Baldwin is the best portrayal of Jack Ryan of all of them. Fight me.

Why? Jack Ryan is a reluctant hero. That certainly isn’t Harrison Ford. The rest, meh. 

I dunno I think Ford was an excellent Ryan in Patriot Games.  That being said I can’t imagine anyone else playing Ryan in Red October, which is a testament to how well Baldwin played the role of analyst-turned-hero.  

Red October was yet another testament to practical effects having much longer staying power than early CGI…or most CGI as far as I’m concerned.  There’s a short video on YouTube detailing the models they used for exterior and the gimbaled set for interior of the ‘big sonovabitch’.  It was all really well executed.  

Ultimately though my favorite Clancy novel is Cardinal of the Kremlin, and I lament that they never made a serious attempt to put it to film.  The detailed tradecraft, Filitov’s threadbare mindset haunted by ghosts from his past, interesting tech and different approaches of atmospheric attenuation for the lasers, desperate advances by the closeted lesbian spy, the archer and attack on the Russian base, sensory deprivation for information extraction, wild ending…it was a very complete, plausible story.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2022 at 3:28 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Fantastic film. 

And BY FAR the best representation of Jack Ryan on film, well before they decided that he was some kind of action star.

Red October shows how Ryan won the day with his brains, not running around shooting bad guys.

Good combination of using his brain for most of the movie, then in the end he ultimately saves the day by shooting a bad guy.

16 hours ago, Homercles said:

I dunno I think Ford was an excellent Ryan in Patriot Games.  That being said I can’t imagine anyone else playing Ryan in Red October, which is a testament to how well Baldwin played the role of analyst-turned-hero.  

Agreed 100%. 

Those two are definitely the best representations of how I always pictured Ryan in my head while reading those two novels.

Ford is also pretty good for the first half of Clear & Present Danger, before that movie goes off the rails.... the stuff with him vs. Ritter was great.

Agreed 100%. 
Those two are definitely the best representations of how I always pictured Ryan in my head while reading those two novels.
Ford is also pretty good for the first half of Clear & Present Danger, before that movie goes off the rails.... the stuff with him vs. Ritter was great.

Ford played Ford.

The biggest thing missing in both Patriot and Danger was Ryan’s enthusiasm. Ford appeared to be a middle manager closing in on retirement, and then on the run after being framed for his wife’s murder before being elected President.

36 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Find me a director with a better 3 movie run than McTiernan with Predator, Die Hard, and Hunt for Red October.

Trick question. There isn't one.

Very strong for sure... you'd be hard-pressed to find such a run outside of the all-time greats.

Tony Scott comes close, but he would throw out a clunker every couple of movies. Even so, check out his run from 1986-2004:

• Top Gun
  • Beverly Hills Cop II
  • Revenge
  • Days of Thunder
  • The Last Boy Scout
  • True Romance
  • Crimson Tide
  • The Fan
  • Enemy of the State
  • Spy Game
  • Man on Fire

That's almost two decades of some goddamn entertaining movies.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, freyguy said:

It's a shame they couldn't get Cardinal of the Kremlin made into a movie.  Had they done it right, it would have made an excellent 3-parter with Sum of All Fears and Red October.

This. My favorite Clancy novel. 

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Find me a director with a better 3 movie run than McTiernan with Predator, Die Hard, and Hunt for Red October.

Trick question. There isn't one.

I said speak your mind, Jack; but Jesus...

Nolan, Cameron, Lynch, The Cohen Bros, Tarantino, Jackson, Spielberg, should we keep going?

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I said speak your mind, Jack; but Jesus...

Nolan, Cameron, Lynch, The Cohen Bros, Tarantino, Jackson, Spielberg, should we keep going?

Cameron I'll give you. Pretty much any 3 of the Terminator, Aliens, Abyss, T2, True Lies five movie stretch is pretty fucking stellar.

The rest? Nah.

• 1 year later...

Billy Wilder mildly amused at your notions.

The Lost Weekend (1945)

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Stalag 17 (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

The Seven Year Itch (1955)

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

Some Like it Hot (1959)

The Apartment (1960)

One, Two, Three (1961)

The Fortune Cookie (1966)

Every single one is a classic and that isn't close to a complete list.

Billy Wilder Collection - Collection | Park Circus

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Before I joined the U.S. submarine force to go do sneaky shit on SSNs, I was in the SOSUS/IUSS world hunting and tracking Soviet submarines. Clancy came to one of our facilities and gave a talk like this, but centered around our world. Super cool and smart guy, even hung out afterward to bullshit with us and sign our books. Very entertaining book and movie, with some laughable liberties taken. Nothing as egregious as Crimson Tide, though. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Before I joined the U.S. submarine force to go do sneaky shit on SSNs, I was in the SOSUS/IUSS world hunting and tracking Soviet submarines. Clancy came to one of our facilities and gave a talk like this, but centered around our world. Super cool and smart guy, even hung out afterward to bullshit with us and sign our books. Very entertaining book and movie, with some laughable liberties taken. Nothing as egregious as Crimson Tide, though. 

real talk...based on your experience soviet sub hunting, do soviet captains do crazy ivans to the starboard in the bottom half of the hour?

On 11/2/2023 at 12:49 PM, RPM said:

Billy Wilder mildly amused at your notions.

The Lost Weekend (1945)

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Stalag 17 (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

The Seven Year Itch (1955)

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

Some Like it Hot (1959)

The Apartment (1960)

One, Two, Three (1961)

The Fortune Cookie (1966)

Every single one is a classic and that isn't close to a complete list.

Billy Wilder Collection - Collection | Park Circus

This. And you accidentally left off Double Indemnity (1944). Good luck finding another director who also wrote/co-wrote/adapted material of films that are considered in the top 5--if not number one outright--of their genre.

Crime noir - Double Indemnity

Drama - Sunset Blvd

Crime Drama Mystery - Witness for the Prosecution

War comedy/drama/suspense - Stalag 17

Comedy - Some Like it Hot

Rom Com (before the term existed) - Sabrina, The Apartment (a perfect film)

• Hook 'Em 2