Anne Heche -- bad car accident

jimmyjazz

“Lifetime’s upcoming movie Girl In Room 13, starring Anne Heche, is still scheduled to premiere in September, the network said during the film’s panel Thursday at the Television Critics Association virtual press tour.  Heche, who was originally scheduled to appear on the panel, remains hospitalized in critical condition following a car crash last week.“

https://deadline.com/2022/08/anne-heche-lifetime-movie-girl-in-room-13-on-track-car-crash-1235090224/amp/

Full statement from Anne’s rep:

"Unfortunately, due to her accident, Anne Heche suffered a severe anoxic brain injury and remains in a coma, in critical condition. She is not expected to survive."

Plans have been put in place to possibly donate Anne's organs, the rep continues, "It has long been her choice to donate her organs and she is being kept on life support to determine if any are viable."

They say, "We want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and prayers for Anne's recovery and thank the dedicated staff and wonderful nurses that cared for Anne at the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills hospital."

Her rep finishes, "Anne had a huge heart and touched everyone she met with her generous spirit. More than her extraordinary talent, she saw spreading kindness and joy as her life’s work --especially moving the needle for acceptance of who you love. She will be remembered for her courageous honesty and dearly missed for her light."

RIP

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

her wiki says that her brother crashed his car into a tree and died when she was 13, 3 months after their father died of AIDS/HIV.   apparently she thought he did it on purpose.  crazy shit.

I hurt for her two sons. I don’t think we’ll ever know what was going on with her 6 days ago. Goes from buying a red wig and acting all nice and sweet and posing for a selfie to twenty minutes later crashing into a garage at an apartment complex and fleeing people trying to help her and crashing at about 100 miles an hour. Truly a sad life but a gifted performer. Sad deal.

hopefully as per her wishes her organs can help someone else have a better life. 

Edited by Nicole44

The lack of oxygen killed her brain so hopefully she is not aware of of these massive burns to her lungs and skin. Horrific.

I had a friend who had a weird motorcycle accident and suffered a massive brain injury. He was in a coma for a couple of months, and awakened to the news they discovered he had stage 4 terminal liver cancer with weeks to live.

It seems like given the extent of her injuries that they were keeping her alive in an attempt to save her organs? That’s kind of my reading of it. Her sitting up in the stretcher was her very last moment of being alive and conscious. I won’t ever be able to watch that moment again. 

again, not the medical surly professional on this site so maybe @trauma babe can weigh in. But it seems like that was the case…that there was no hope to save her so try to save her organs?

Just now, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Serious question here.  How beneficial are organs from a 53-year-old?  Especially, one with perhaps a substance abuse problem.  I guess they are better than the ones the recipient currently has.  Just curious.

Good question.  Had the same thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

It seems like given the extent of her injuries that they were keeping her alive in an attempt to save her organs? That’s kind of my reading of it. Her sitting up in the stretcher was her very last moment of being alive and conscious. I won’t ever be able to watch that moment again. 

again, not the medical surly professional on this site so maybe @trauma babe can weigh in. But it seems like that was the case…that there was no hope to save her so try to save her organs?

5 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Serious question here.  How beneficial are organs from a 53-year-old?  Especially, one with perhaps a substance abuse problem.  I guess they are better than the ones the recipient currently has.  Just curious.

Organs from a 53yo are very viable in the right circumstances. I've been involved with many patients that started out as traumatic accidents that then turned to organ donation.

If there is a possibility of anoxic brain injury/brain death, every effort is made up optimize that body's function in order to keep the eligible organs viable, so that once donation is decided on, candidates can be notified, the surgeons arranged, etc. There are so many moving parts.

In such a massive conflagration, though, I'm not sure much will be salvageable. Burns just demolish your body's ability to function as a unit. Her kidneys were likely spared the worst of the burns...but the after effects are catastrophic on how well they work.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

If they could part my uncle out successfully, I feel like they can do a lot with a little in this case. 

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Her sitting up in the stretcher was her very last moment of being alive and conscious.

I wonder if in instances of trauma like that, if the surge still happens but it’s more fleeting as the body musters the last of its strength but can’t manage for long in its condition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if in instances of trauma like that, if the surge still happens but it’s more fleeting as the body musters the last of its strength but can’t manage for long in its condition. 

She was apparently conscious for the whole of the 30 minutes it took to get her out of the car with the smoke and fire what I read. That sitting up almost reminds me of that terrible term (death rattle) though I know that’s not it. Sad deal. I’m guessing it was from pain or something maybe…she was probably having difficulties we don’t even want to imagine. I hope they were able to donate at least her kidneys. Rip Anne.

Edited by Nicole44

5 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

There are many parts, beside organs, harvested in the procedure. For example; Achilles’ tendons are often used as a ligament replacement in knee surgery. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Firefighters said she had been speaking to them as she was cut free of the wreckage and taken to hospital.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/12/anne-heche-death-actor-dies-week-after-car-crash-aged-53

Neighbors of Mishele (the woman that was sitting two feet from Anne’s car when she crashed 30 feet into her house) tried to free Anne but the smoke was too intense. Said blaze started almost instantly. And it took thirty minutes to get her freed. They used a crane to pull the car out of the house and then cut her from the car. I cannot imagine. She has a 13 year old named Atlas pictured with her below in 2012 and 20 year old son named Homer. How awful for them. 

7FFD3EC4-64C5-4BD8-A9BB-EBBC114BA8C5.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

was there ever any indication of what was going on with this story and i missed it?  i know she was driving like a maniac, etc... but was there a toxicity report or did anyone come out saying there was any type of triggering event?

TMZ reported cocaine and fentanyl in her system, no alcohol.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/11/anne-heche-under-influence-cocaine-fentanyl-car-crash-house-condition/

Sheesh. That news shot of her sitting up zombie-like and trying to climb off the gurney is exponentially more haunting now. What was going on there?

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Sheesh. That news shot of her sitting up zombie-like and trying to climb off the gurney is exponentially more haunting now. What was going on there?

I'm sure it was just shock. Ever seen an animal or person knocked out and then suddenly come to? Reminds me of that.

I'm with Nicole in I won't be watching that again.

Whoever/whatever she was, terrible way to go. Hope her family and friends recover and find peace.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

fucking hell...how many horror stories have to emerge before people start understanding that mixing cocaine and fentanyl is really fucking stupid?

They are not sure about the fentanyl part yet. She was under care when they drew her blood and it’s used for pain. So it’s possible the fentanyl could be hospital related more so than cut with the coke.

6 minutes ago, Elvis said:

How did she not sucomb to smoke inhalation in the first five minutes?

We don’t know. She was conscious the whole time talking to good samaritans and fire fighters and then sitting up on the stretcher and at some point fell into a coma on her on. Scary stuff. The pilot that flew overhead covering the house fire actually exclaimed as she sat up on the stretcher that he was stunned anyone could possibly be alive. No idea how she was able to live through at least that part.

Mrs. Brat’s hs & college boyfriend was terribly burned over most of his upper body & head when the helicopter he was piloting was shot down in Vietnam. He was in a coma for months at Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio, and spent almost two years there recovering and enduring many surgeries to rebuild his face. 
He went through unspeakable agony, but was of such strong will that he overcame it all and resumed his military career, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. He is remarkably well adjusted today and a credit to his family & caregivers.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

People will pay good money for organs that are working, even if they are from a 50 or 60 year-old.

Edit: I should rephrase that: People will will pay good money for organs that they think are from a healthy 30 or 40-something, and the typical person and many doctors/surgeons can't tell the difference from a healthy 50 year-old's organs and a 40 year-old, and beggars can't really be choosers.

Edit #2: If you go through the "normal" and "official" medical channels to get an organ, they might raise some flags about the age of the person or other factors.  Fucking bureaucrats.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even though he's a Lieutenant Colonel?

Lol

He has been retired for 20 years, so yeah. 
Unfortunately  the lovely woman he married in the 1970s died unexpectedly from an aneurysm early in this century.

Life has certainly dished out a lot pain for him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People will pay good money for organs that are working, even if they are from a 50 or 60 year-old.

Edit: I should rephrase that: People will will pay good money for organs that they think are from a healthy 30 or 40-something, and the typical person and many doctors/surgeons can't tell the difference from a healthy 50 year-old's organs and a 40 year-old, and beggars can't really be choosers.

Edit #2: If you go through the "normal" and "official" medical channels to get an organ, they might raise some flags about the age of the person or other factors.  Fucking bureaucrats.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Bureaucrats are mostly lawyers. Lawyers love to draft shit lay people can’t understand. Lawyers are long winded and look for loopholes and repeat themselves like it’s GroundHog day. Lawyers take hours to make a simple deposition or to even make a point. Most of Congress is made up of lawyers. This is why we need term limits. 

The organ thing is very sad. And like everything else so much red tape…geez

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think older organ donors would be ideal candidates to donate organs to older recipients.  I mean, are you gonna give a 20-year-old's liver to a 60 year-old alcoholic?  Maybe.  But if there is a healthy 60-year-old liver available, I wouldn't think they'd be hesitant to transplant.  Obviously, the medical ethics are a little more complicated than I'm letting on.

24 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Don’t leave us hanging… so were you the father?

So I worked with a girl at the Blockbuster on Riverside while at UT.  She was an art major.  We became extremely good friends.  At one point, I moved in with her.  She had a condo, drove an Audi, and had a mint condition Jaguar in her garage.  Apparently, her family was not very well off until they struck it rich per an oil business supply company.  After about 3 months of spending almost 24/7 with her, we jumped into the sack.  Things were pretty good for all of 2 weeks until we realized we weren't really compatible.  We continued to room together.  Awesome deal for me as she only wanted me to pay the electric bill.  A few weeks later, she was watching the Sally Jesse Raphael show when she decided she had a crush on a guest.  (Ironically, it was an episode about stalkers.)  She called the show, they flew her to Chicago, and she met the guy on a show titled, "Viewers with Crushes on Former Guests" or somesuch.  They hit it off.  He lived in Florida.  After she returned, she spent something like 10 hours a day talking to him on the phone.  When the $1,000+ phone bill arrived, she decided she'd hit me up for rent and other bills.  I was out within the day.

Funny side note.  I moved in with another hottie.  We all three worked together and they hated each other.  The latter ended up getting a condo right next door to the former.  Kind of awkward for a couple of months before I moved on.

• Hook 'Em 2