71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you retire and move abroad

• Yes, planning on it
    • Depends
    • No. #Merica
    • Too soon to know, depends on familial matters
    • I'd give it a hard look but I'm too tied to this country

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/09/23 at 06:07 AM

For most of my life, I would say never.  I just love this country too much and everything I have is here.  However, in recent years, I've had friends that are either moving or making a second home abroad and some have thought about making it a permanent move.  Some of the places they're going to include Vietnam, Thailand, Peru, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc.  From our discussions, here's kind of what they list as pros/cons:

Pros

Dollar goes so much further (duh)

Less political strife (No CR, but you're not worried about BLM or Alt right when you're in Costa Rica)

Food - There's some really good food abroad and the US isn't the only melting pot out there.

Beauty -The US has some beautiful locales, but places like Peru are breathtaking.

Easier life - duh.  When your dollar is going further and you don't really have to work, it's easier.  Is that a locale thing?

Cons

Different customs to adjust too

Language and cultural barriers

Americans can be treated like shit because of our predecessors or just because we're American

I think I"ll likely retire in a place like Colorado or the PNW, but I'm not opposed to at least planting a flag overseas.  What say you?

Edited by closetohumping

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I've made a lot of friends in Argentina. it was be EXTREMELY easy to meet a woman down there, get married and become a citizen 

There's not a classy way to say this, but being American holds a lot of sway in other countries apparently.  

I'd consider it, but to me it depends on what's going on with the family.  I don't think it's a slam dunk either way but it's not a hard no like it was before.  I can absolutely make it work in some countries.

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah but they’re marrying you to go to America not to stay in Argentina.

the  21 to 27yo for sure. The hot 35 to 40yo not so much. 

you’d be surprised. A buddy down there just retired. He’s coming up in oct to do some fishing. I love his property down there. I’ll probably discuss it more with him. He lives just outside centario

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Back when I was immortal, Mexico was the plan. I like it because it is a more exciting and dangerous Costa Rica.

But then I started having creative differences with some of my kidney cells, and now I really appreciate being within walking distance of my nice American oncologist. I mean, they got oncologists in Guadalajara too, but eh.

Assuming the magic drugs do their work, I'd look into it again. The way I'd want to do it is to still keep the family house in the US in the family, maybe live 6 months each place. I dunno, gotta see how much the money printing machine spits out. 

In the meantime, I have found out that Mexico can be wherever I am. With the click of a button I can be watching a Capulina movie, and, properly provoked, my dark-haired lady who makes home-made tortillas with cal is fully capable of dealing chanclazos. Our dog is a Chihuahua who has no damn idea where she is, so if I tell her it's the Huasteca, she's cool.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

There's not a classy way to say this, but being American holds a lot of sway in other countries apparently.  

True. And remember that nothing's free-- my friend Bob took a skillet upside the head from his easy-going Mexican girlfriend when he forgot that. You are entering the world where a deal is a deal. We get treated like movie stars but it's not because they think we are movie stars.

Also by way of Bob, now on his second marriage down there-- find out which town her mom is from, because at some point that is the town where you will be forced to spend your weekends. His mother-in-law lives up a 4-hour dirt track in Michoacan where they hate all white people for coming in and running mines. All white people except Bob, I guess. Anyway they had him busy on the rancho digging holes to find gold allegedly buried by an ancestor. Bob was real excited about maybe finding it. I think he's better off if he doesn't.

• Hook 'Em 2

For most of my life, I would say never.  I just love this country too much and everything I have is here.  However, in recent years, I've had friends that are either moving or making a second home abroad and some have thought about making it a permanent move.  Some of the places they're going to include Vietnam, Thailand, Peru, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc.  From our discussions, here's kind of what they list as pros/cons:

Pros
Less political strife (No CR, but you're not worried about BLM or Alt right when you're in Costa Rica)
Food - There's some really good food abroad and the US isn't the only melting pot out there.
Beauty -The US has some beautiful locales, but places like Peru are breathtaking.
Easier life - duh.  When your dollar is going further and you don't really have to work, it's easier.  Is that a locale thing?

Cons
Americans can be treated like shit because of our predecessors or just because we're American

I think I"ll likely retire in a place like Colorado or the PNW, but I'm not opposed to at least planting a flag overseas.  What say you?
Shit, I'm in CO and the wife and I have been looking at various options. Greece, Spain, Portugal, Costa Rica are all on the table.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Pros

Cons

Shit, I'm in CO and the wife and I have been looking at various options. Greece, Spain, Portugal, Costa Rica are all on the table.

I definitely want some cold weather as a part of my life.  Funny you mention Portugal as a friend bought some chateau out there.  He loves it.  Splits time between there and Seattle. 

guy I know was talking about splitting Nova Scotia and the Bahamas.  Apparently if you buy a 1.5 mil home in Bahamas you get a tax break. 

@RDCanecutter yea we would be k. Their domain, their rules and not everyone loves Americans.  Hell we used to get fucked with by the cops in matamoros every time

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

This is where I have wanted to retire. Just not as economical as the previously mentioned.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/visit-giethoorn-quaint-village-without-cars

Is that Frodo’s shire?

wont be the case for me but I’ve heard that in some countries, if you’re dating a girl, you have to pay.  Like give the parents money.  When you want to go out to eat, 40 of her friends and family will come along without asking. Guess who is footing the bill?

Didn't see this on your list:

One major consideration when moving abroad at older age is the quality and cost of medical care. When evaluating places to live, look at the availability and proximity of quality care, look at the costs of that care, and consider if you can somehow quality for a national healthcare system.

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Cons

First one is a Pro, not a con. Opportunity to broaden your perspective, learn another culture.

Second one is related to the first. It is a barrier only if you want to be. If you don't want it to be, then put in the work to learn the language and culture.

Third one is broadly related to the first two, and is not <usually> for the reason of being American. Foreigners in general get treated like shit in many areas until the locals see that they genuinely are interested in being part of the community, and not just there to be rude neighbors who exploit the locals. The ones that get hated are the ones who land in a country and immediately look down at all the uncivilized squalor and horrid behaviour around them, not realizing that they really should look in the mirror.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Sam Lin said:

Third one is broadly related to the first two, and is not <usually> for the reason of being American. Foreigners in general get treated like shit in many areas until the locals see that they genuinely are interested in being part of the community, and not just there to be rude neighbors who exploit the locals. The ones that get hated are the ones who land in a country and immediately look down at all the uncivilized squalor and horrid behaviour around them, not realizing that they really should look in the mirror.

Had personal experience with this in Mexico. Several times I was offered the Gringo Discount (almost US prices) on things when they thought I was just passing through. The key to to making things almost normal was to get across that "hey, I work here," and then dig your heels in and bargain a little. Folks would smile in a "bless his heart, he tried didn't he" way and then it was cool.

But yeah everybody speculates about you behind your back. You will become known about the town.

The funny thing is how fast you can go local if you want to. The cleaning lady at my school and I had long discussions about where to buy a fan on sale. There was one model for 300 pesos (about 30 bucks at the time) that I was *this close* to getting, but 300 pesos, I could eat off that for a week. I just slept through the heat.

Man, this whole thread has me thinking about Ted. Ted was a dude who hung out at a local bar ten years ago, retirement age. Sold insurance, acted like he was rich but never bought a round. Anyway, he was always going on about buying property and building a house on some unsettled part of the Ecuador coast (why in 500 years has it not been settled? hmm...)

Ted spoke Spanish like Peggy Hill. "Costa Rica" was "Coss-tuh Rick-uh." Yet Ted was not slack in the willingness to travel dept.-- he'd been involved in road races down in Monterrey. Maybe he didn't have a good ear.

Anyway, I can see Ted bumping up against some indigenous Maoist group in the Ecuadorean wilderness and trying to throw his weight around. I kinda hope he went to a gated community in Cosstuh Rickuh instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

True. And remember that nothing's free-- my friend Bob took a skillet upside the head from his easy-going Mexican girlfriend when he forgot that. You are entering the world where a deal is a deal. We get treated like movie stars but it's not because they think we are movie stars.

Also by way of Bob, now on his second marriage down there-- find out which town her mom is from, because at some point that is the town where you will be forced to spend your weekends. His mother-in-law lives up a 4-hour dirt track in Michoacan where they hate all white people for coming in and running mines. All white people except Bob, I guess. Anyway they had him busy on the rancho digging holes to find gold allegedly buried by an ancestor. Bob was real excited about maybe finding it. I think he's better off if he doesn't.

Is that Bob Sacamano?

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This is not a slam dunk.  Doing simple shit like getting your plumbing fixed can be a huge ordeal in some other countries.  All those annoyances add up.  Plus, some of the big stuff, like dealing with the legal system (if you have to) can truly be a nightmare.  Capitalism makes a profit off making your US life easier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Pros

Cons

Good luck.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is not a slam dunk.  Doing simple shit like getting your plumbing fixed can be a huge ordeal in some other countries.  All those annoyances add up.  Plus, some of the big stuff, like dealing with the legal system (if you have to) can truly be a nightmare.  Capitalism makes a profit off making your US life easier. 

Correct.  You won’t be familiar with their customs, norms and mores.  Hell when I’m in Mexico I sometimes wonder if I’m paying more than the locals for my accommodations.  It’s the game.  Also how clean is home ownership in other countries?

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Also how clean is home ownership in other countries?

We choose to no longer own here, and definitely won't own in another country, unless we win the lottery, or something crazy like that. Just pay my monthly rent, let someone else take care of everything, and just enjoy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I definitely want some cold weather as a part of my life.  Funny you mention Portugal as a friend bought some chateau out there.  He loves it.  Splits time between there and Seattle. 

guy I know was talking about splitting Nova Scotia and the Bahamas.  Apparently if you buy a 1.5 mil home in Bahamas you get a tax break. 

@RDCanecutter yea we would be k. Their domain, their rules and not everyone loves Americans.  Hell we used to get fucked with by the cops in matamoros every time

We're keeping the mountain house regardless of where we go (and we've also just talked about picking somewhere to go for 1-2 months at a time instead of buying somewhere).  Who knows where we'll end up.  It'll be fun figuring it out, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Any kids?

Grown. So far no grandkids. At one point Mrs. Mo said if that happened we might have to reconsider, but she's so disgusted with what's happening here that she says that's no longer a factor. I expect that might change, should our children choose to procreate. However, our kids are spread out, and we never planned on living that close anyway, so maybe not. With video capabilities these days, not sure the difference on being 1000 or 5000 miles away. It's a plane ride either way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just moved to CO a few years ago and it’s been awesome but the fiancé and I are getting a bit nervous with the continued drought and what water scarcity will look like in the next 10-15 years. We’ve had early discussion about what our next move will be and the idea of moving abroad has been brought up.  I’d say somewhere in Central Europe would be our primary choice, somewhere like Czechia, Austria, or Slovenia. Toughest issue for me is leaving behind family and friends. We don’t have any kids and don’t plan on it for at least another 7-8 years but seeing my 85 year old grandmother even less than we do now is what’s holding me back from absolutely jumping onboard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Correct.  You won’t be familiar with their customs, norms and mores.  Hell when I’m in Mexico I sometimes wonder if I’m paying more than the locals for my accommodations.  It’s the game.  Also how clean is home ownership in other countries?

You are. :)

You have to be as stubborn and patient as a rock to even get prices down to 120% of local average. Talking about a regular neighborhood, not some expat area where "Hey! Look how much cheaper than San Diego this is Honey!" 300% local prices are the norm.

I was so proud of talking my furnished house rent down to $200 until my neighbors clued me that a Mexican would've paid 150. They still gave me cred for talking it down from 275. Bless his heart he tried.

As for owning, in Mexico and probably most others farther south, you don't really own it, and even if you do, nobody ever lost a single vote knocking some rich Gringos down a peg. I'd rent.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Asking about kids as I think it may be a reason to buy but if you’re gonna get dicked out of the property maybe not 

I mean, it's not like there's a revolution every year. You'd probably be ok for a good long stretch. But a rich Mexican would have a back-up plan, so so should we.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Asking about kids as I think it may be a reason to buy but if you’re gonna get dicked out of the property maybe not 

Our kids are all professionals and have no desire to return to a family home. We've talked seriously with them about leaving them something, and they've said spend your money and enjoy it. We don't expect you to leave us anything. That's just our family, and I totally respect other families that chose differently. I have a SIL that lives in the house that she moved into when she was probably 10 years old. She's now in her 60s. Her sister, Mrs. Mo, has different ideas, thank goodness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Definitely depends on where the kids end up.  Right now, they are studying in the UK and northern europe, and there's a chance one or both will settle there.  If so, and there are grandkids etc., that may figure into the decision.

In any case, we'll probably always keep a "home base" place somewhere in the US.  If one of the kids is in the US, but not Texas (Seattle, Denver, DC, wherever), then I suspect our "home base" will be someplace within a short drive to there, and with access to good medical care (because yeah, we'll be getting old, and shit starts to break down).  But I can easily see us spending 3-6 month stretches abroad -- cheap Airbnb, that sort of thing -- to be near a kiddo.  If a kid settles in Germany, or Scotland, or what have you, then we'd likely spend chunks of time nearby.  The more we could, the better.  But having a safe "home base," decent medical care, and dealing with the various restrictions on immigration (we can't stay in Germany for more than 90 days every 6 months) means that we'll likely always have SOMEPLACE that is "home" in the US.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Definitely depends on where the kids end up.  Right now, they are studying in the UK and northern europe, and there's a chance one or both will settle there.  If so, and there are grandkids etc., that may figure into the decision.

In any case, we'll probably always keep a "home base" place somewhere in the US.  If one of the kids is in the US, but not Texas (Seattle, Denver, DC, wherever), then I suspect our "home base" will be someplace within a short drive to there, and with access to good medical care (because yeah, we'll be getting old, and shit starts to break down).  But I can easily see us spending 3-6 month stretches abroad -- cheap Airbnb, that sort of thing -- to be near a kiddo.  If a kid settles in Germany, or Scotland, or what have you, then we'd likely spend chunks of time nearby.  The more we could, the better.  But having a safe "home base," decent medical care, and dealing with the various restrictions on immigration (we can't stay in Germany for more than 90 days every 6 months) means that we'll likely always have SOMEPLACE that is "home" in the US.

Funny enough I’ve lived in Seattle , Denver and DC.  I’d recommend them all tbh.  Lived in Boston too.  All great places.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If a kid settles in Germany, or Scotland, or what have you, then we'd likely spend chunks of time nearby.  The more we could, the better.  But having a safe "home base," decent medical care, and dealing with the various restrictions on immigration (we can't stay in Germany for more than 90 days every 6 months) means that we'll likely always have SOMEPLACE that is "home" in the US.

If one is in Scotland and one in Germany, you could just split time between the two and never go back to the US.  You can get an expat medical insurance policy for pennies on the dollar of a US policy (because it doesn't cover use in the US) and just have doctors in one of those locations.  Honestly, a flat in Edinburgh and one in Berlin would be a pretty stellar living arrangement.  Throw in some nice weekends on the beach in Greece, and that's L-I-V-I-N'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

We've talked about it but I don't know if we will. We have too many family obligations here.  

I definitely see us traveling more.  That's a goal we are working towards and getting out of Texas from June to Sept.

Easy solution. Just knock up a foreign broad

My wife and I are in our 40s with two little kids. I work in investments and she is a stay-at-home mom. After several years of island hopping in the Caribbean, we decided to buy a piece of waterfront land in a tiny island called Utila on the western Caribbean. The island is small, less touristy, affordable, outside of the hurricane belt, and full of expats from North America and Europe.

Two years ago, we built the house to use it as our vacation retreat until we decide to move there full time. Since then, I have built 3 more houses in Utila and its sister island, Roatan, so that we could rent them out as our retirement income. If not for the kids, we would have moved there full time already. We just got back home to California after a two-month vacation. Going back again in winter. 

I also like some parts of Mexico (Yucatan peninsula Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta) as a vacation and/or retirement destination,  but the costs for waterfront houses in those parts are up through the roof, so the dollar probably doesn't take you farther. Other than that Mexico is not a bad option either.

20220804_113042.thumb.jpg.4721cc4894f67daee3dc0122f56c8f9d.jpg20220726_121508.thumb.jpg.aad298d6fb8ebc01a9b60bb8fae3bec8.jpg20220713_103425.thumb.jpg.e43c6b00035664cc878adbeef0148e05.jpg20220807_102621.thumb.jpg.df43a4b572d94e3bc9be306b62ce5b35.jpg

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I keep trying, not as easy as you would think.

I’ll put up a lengthy post when I get time on the Costa Rica thread but this place is on the verge of exploding again. We’re traveling almost the entire Pacific coast this trip and you can see it coming in the next 5 years or so assuming the economy doesn’t tank. 2 new major airports are in the works with one of them down south of Uvita. That’s going to be huge -  major game changer for that area.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’ll put up a lengthy post when I get time on the Costa Rica thread but this place is on the verge of exploding again. We’re traveling almost the entire Pacific coast this trip and you can see it coming in the next 5 years or so assuming the economy doesn’t tank. 2 new major airports are in the works with one of them down south of Uvita. That’s going to be huge -  major game changer for that area.

Costa Rica was ruined 10+ years ago. I went back this year because my cousin is involved in some of the billfish tournys and yea never again. Have you done Baja north of La Paz?

40 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Costa Rica was ruined 10+ years ago. I went back this year because my cousin is involved in some of the billfish tournys and yea never again. Have you done Baja north of La Paz?

Yes, CR is completely ruined. That’s a great fucking take. I assume you where in Los Suenos and I’d agree with you on that. I hate that place. Might as well be in Florida. The growth explosion is a good thing for those other areas and besides they can’t ruin where I am in Quepos. I like hanging with the locals here and there is no room to grow in the main part of town.
I like Baja ok but I prefer it here with all the different climates.Here’s how I have spent my last few days:

1. 2 hour drive from the Quepos marina to just south of Uvita to play golf at Osa Golf Course. There were 2 other groups there and a dog. Stayed in a great 2 bedroom condo overlooking the mountains and rain forest and ocean view for 150 a night. That price includes golf for 2 people. Did this for 2 days. Including the great restaurants we went to both nights we were there, I maybe saw 50 people on that weekend trip.

2. Drove from the golf course to a small coffee and fruit plantation in the mountains 1500 feet above Dominical. Place is owned by a friend who has a main house, 4 cabins,and an open air chef’s kitchen with seating for about 20 people. Amazing views and wildlife on property. Went to a local bar a mile down the dirt road for beers and pizza one night but other than that didn’t see a single other person.

3. Back to the marina, cold drinks and good food at one of the restaurants here last night. Back to the boat for a few more beers and listen to the rain while we fall asleep. In the next few days we will take the boat out fishing literally the best billfish waters on the planet and also catch some dorado and tuna to eat.

So yeah Costa Rica sucks and is ruined and I hate it.

476841FE-A24A-4E6B-AE44-803431D31406.jpeg

10CF8C0A-3379-4E5B-BCF4-46164890414F.jpeg

4C2A1CE3-2313-4E4E-9F3C-C7E5A4E081A2.jpeg

1F1F4007-F1C1-4955-B013-7532D6E79C0E.jpeg

A20616AD-5F25-4170-A0E8-55E89E1F5827.jpeg

1C185169-5B70-4CD6-AA67-2742D8408BAA.jpeg

03CA6DEC-522B-49ED-A197-6E537E474916.jpeg

D7248C87-58E5-4E68-8253-BAC72981C77E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, texasdago said:

I think about it occasionally... could make the transition to Italy but I know there would be challenges.  I don't know that my wife would be willing to make the sacrifices it would require.  

Just tell her you no longer have to spend all of your vacations in Italy.

27 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yes, CR is completely ruined. That’s a great fucking take.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, CR is far from spoiled.  Love that place so much.

The guy who said that is a fucking regard.  Why even bother responding? 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yes, CR is completely ruined. That’s a great fucking take. I assume you where in Los Suenos and I’d agree with you on that. I hate that place. Might as well be in Florida. The growth explosion is a good thing for those other areas and besides they can’t ruin where I am in Quepos. I like hanging with the locals here and there is no room to grow in the main part of town.
I like Baja ok but I prefer it here with all the different climates.Here’s how I have spent my last few days:

1. 2 hour drive from the Quepos marina to just south of Uvita to play golf at Osa Golf Course. There were 2 other groups there and a dog. Stayed in a great 2 bedroom condo overlooking the mountains and rain forest and ocean view for 150 a night. That price includes golf for 2 people. Did this for 2 days. Including the great restaurants we went to both nights we were there, I maybe saw 50 people on that weekend trip.

2. Drove from the golf course to a small coffee and fruit plantation in the mountains 1500 feet above Dominical. Place is owned by a friend who has a main house, 4 cabins,and an open air chef’s kitchen with seating for about 20 people. Amazing views and wildlife on property. Went to a local bar a mile down the dirt road for beers and pizza one night but other than that didn’t see a single other person.

3. Back to the marina, cold drinks and good food at one of the restaurants here last night. Back to the boat for a few more beers and listen to the rain while we fall asleep. In the next few days we will take the boat out fishing literally the best billfish waters on the planet and also catch some dorado and tuna to eat.

So yeah Costa Rica sucks and is ruined and I hate it.

476841FE-A24A-4E6B-AE44-803431D31406.jpeg

10CF8C0A-3379-4E5B-BCF4-46164890414F.jpeg

4C2A1CE3-2313-4E4E-9F3C-C7E5A4E081A2.jpeg

1F1F4007-F1C1-4955-B013-7532D6E79C0E.jpeg

A20616AD-5F25-4170-A0E8-55E89E1F5827.jpeg

1C185169-5B70-4CD6-AA67-2742D8408BAA.jpeg

03CA6DEC-522B-49ED-A197-6E537E474916.jpeg

D7248C87-58E5-4E68-8253-BAC72981C77E.jpeg

It is ruined in the sense that it is beyoned Americanized. There is a reason a bunch of Americans retire down there. IT is easy. Sure it's pretty but if I am going to retire somewhere to experience something different, it is not going to be a place that accepts the US dollar. 

Also, I stayed in Quepos and Dominicalito. 

• Hook 'Em 1