I sorta liked Pink Floyd... but Fuck Roger Waters' political dumbassery!

horn4life

Spoiler

Smerconish began the interview by asking Waters why he labeled President Joe Biden a “war criminal.” “Well, he’s fueling the war in the Ukraine,” the former Pink Floyd member responded. “That is a huge crime. Why won’t the United States of America encourage [Volodymyr] Zelensky to negotiate, obviating the need for this horrific, horrendous war?”

When Smerconish pointed out that Waters was “blaming the party who got invaded,” Waters countered by criticizing NATO for forcing Russia’s hand. “Well, any war, when did it start? What you need to do is look at the history, and you can say, ‘Well, it started on this day.’ You could say it started in 2008… This war is basically about the action and reaction of NATO pushing right up to the Russian border, which they promised they wouldn’t do when [Mikhail] Gorbachev negotiated the withdrawal of the USSR from the whole of Eastern Europe.”

Waters also dismissed Smerconish’s argument that the US has a role of “liberators.”  “You got into World War 2 because of Pearl Harbor. You were completely isolationists [beforehand],” Waters argued. “Thank god the Russians had already won the bloody war by then. 23 million Russians died, protecting you and me from the Nazi menace.”

“I would suggest that you… go away and read a bit more, and try to figure out what the US would do if the Chinese were putting nuclear armed missiles into Mexico and Canada,” Waters added.

When Smerconish noted that the Chinese are “too busy encircling Taiwan as we speak,” Waters fired back by proclaiming: “Taiwan is part of China. That has been absolutely accepted by the whole of international community since 1948. If you don’t know that you aren’t reading enough…. You are believing your side’s propaganda. You can’t have a conversation about human rights and Taiwan without actually doing the reading.”

“The Chinese didn’t invade Iraq and kill a million people in 2013,” Waters added. “Who have the Chinese invaded and slaughtered?”

“Their own,” Smerconish answered, referring to the Uyghurs and other mostly-Muslim groups who China have placed in “re-education camps” and been subjected to forced sterilization and forced label.

“Bullocks! That’s absolute nonsense! Absolute nonsense!” Waters responded.

You can watch the full interview below. 

38 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Waters is an ego maniac capable of musical greatness who killed my favorite band.

Because he left the band? I too find the music of post-Waters Floyd totally uninteresting. If they weren’t playing the classics, I never would’ve bothered to see them in concert. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Roger was the creative genius behind the major albums, once he left, David had to improvise and since his was more of a musical genius, he made due with his guitar.   The Final Cut being the final album with Roger Waters being a possible indicator that they may have peaked with him in The Wall album, who knows what other albums reflecting his creative genius would have come about had he swallowed his pride and stuck with the band.  

I saw him in concert in Las Vegas in 2017 and much of his show was bashing Donald Trump. 

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Because he left the band? I too find the music of post-Waters Floyd totally uninteresting. If they weren’t playing the classics, I never would’ve bothered to see them in concert. 

High Hopes became my favorite Floyd song once I hit my 40s

Squirrel Come At Me Bro GIF

I think he's wrong about Ukraine and assuming their government is a puppet.

Aside from that, he's pretty damn right about the other stuff. We did enter WWII because of Pearl Harbor and not to save the Jews or the Chinese. We did slaughter a bunch of people in Iraq. We've been a bad actor in a number of places. Taiwan is historically part of China.

I can see someone getting sick of  American self-congratulation particularly as we plunge toward an embrace of fascism. I'm there myself.

All you have to do is follow the worms.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think he's wrong about Ukraine and assuming their government is a puppet.

Aside from that, he's pretty damn right about the other stuff. We did enter WWII because of Pearl Harbor and not to save the Jews or the Chinese. We did slaughter a bunch of people in Iraq. We've been a bad actor in a number of places. Taiwan is historically part of China.

I can see someone getting sick of  American self-congratulation particularly as we plunge toward an embrace of fascism. I'm there myself.

All you have to do is follow the worms.

He’s a total dumbfuck who is absolutely wrong about World War II. The Russians has won the war by the time we entered? The Soviets had been at war for six months, and were being smoothly buttfucked by the Wehrmacht the whole gotdamn time. On 2 December 1941, the Wehrmacht was less than 20 miles from Moscow. 

They didn’t enter the war until 1941, either and before that were grabbing chunks of Poland. And any success they had was thanks to Lend-Lease. And blizzards. 

People like this are a good litmus test for the left, if you can listen to the stream of verbal diarrhea that comes from his mouth and excuse it because he’s a lefty, then you’re not thinking anymore than MAGATs who don’t care what MTG says as long as she owns the libs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this feels reminiscent of the "fuck Rage Against the Machine! When did they get political?" people. I mean, really? Have you never listened to the lyrics before? Watched a video? Read the album cover? Lol, what is this life?

Posted this previously, but a Sirius XM host talked about that.  "Hey dumbass, what machine do you think they are raging against?  The washing machine?"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

When are celebrities (who've never really lived in the real world like the rest of us) going to figure out nobody gives a damn about their political thoughts? 

Unless they are Republicans.  Those celebrities we elect as mayors, congressmen and presidents.  But yeah, fuck all those other celebrities for having an opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I can see someone getting sick of  American self-congratulation particularly as we plunge toward an embrace of fascism.

Not sick enough that he won't tour here and take millions of American dollars though, amirite?

Full disclosure I have tickets to see him at Moody in Oct.  I didn't pay a couple hundred bucks for a political rant - quite literally the opposite - so that's kind of a bummer.  But whatever...I'll go to the pisser and trade my mortgage for a beer and hope my shrooms have kicked in by the time the music starts.

54 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He’s a total dumbfuck who is absolutely wrong about World War II. The Russians has won the war by the time we entered? The Soviets had been at war for six months, and were being smoothly buttfucked by the Wehrmacht the whole gotdamn time. On 2 December 1941, the Wehrmacht was less than 20 miles from Moscow. 

They didn’t enter the war until 1941, either and before that were grabbing chunks of Poland. And any success they had was thanks to Lend-Lease. And blizzards. 

People like this are a good litmus test for the left, if you can listen to the stream of verbal diarrhea that comes from his mouth and excuse it because he’s a lefty, then you’re not thinking anymore than MAGATs who don’t care what MTG says as long as she owns the libs. 

The Russians did win the war in Europe. They were responsibe for 8 of every 10 Nazi casualties. Rogers misspoke about the timing, but I'm sure he understands it. We played a great part in that theater and did liberate Europe. I will never demean the risks and sacrifices made by soldiers and airmen, but the Soviet Union was the sledgehammer that finally drove the bulk of the German Army back and into ruin.

Saying the weather and supplies beat Germany while denying the part Russia played is petty and, from you, surprisingly USA-centric. A fresh Russian Army moved from the east smashed the last hope of Germany. I believe both sides fought in the same weather. 

We were the big dog in the Pacific.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The Russians did win the war in Europe. They were responsibe for 8 of every 10 Nazi casualties. Rogers misspoke about the timing, but I'm sure he understands it. We played a great part in that theater and did liberate Europe. I will never demean the risks and sacrifices made by soldiers and airmen, but the Soviet Union was the sledgehammer that finally drove the bulk of the German Army back and into ruin.

Saying the weather and supplies beat Germany while denying the part Russia played is petty and, from you, surprisingly USA-centric. A fresh Russian Army moved from the east smashed the last hope of Germany. I believe both sides fought in the same weather. 

We were the big dog in the Pacific.

The timing was pretty much the whole point of his rant. He got it badly wrong. He’s a dumbfuck and it’s better not to make excuses for someone who is not just apologizing for, but pumping brutal and murderous regimes. 

28 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Not sick enough that he won't tour here and take millions of American dollars though, amirite?

Why wouldn't he? I don't get the connection between stating an opinion about this country and still visiting it. I strongly opposed the English tyranny over Northern Ireland, but visited there often when I worked for a courier company. The theater was still good (the dollar was unbelievably strong), the sites still interesting, and the people very nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

When are celebrities (who've never really lived in the real world like the rest of us) going to figure out nobody gives a damn about their political thoughts? 

He didn't sign into Surly and force them on us. Somebody from Surly posted an interview where he was asked questions that he answered honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The guy is pro-Russia, pro-China, and pro-Palestine, among other things.  He's a nutjob.  Not because of his stances, but because of the seeming randomness of his stances.

I don't necessarily get the "pro"'s you cite based on that one interview.  But I know you're well versed in the musician world so maybe you know more than me about him.  That stated, the 'randomness' I find a bit refreshing.  Part of not being categorized into the binary options we present here in the US as somehow sane.

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The timing was pretty much the whole point of his rant. He got it badly wrong. He’s a dumbfuck and it’s better not to make excuses for someone who is not just apologizing for, but pumping brutal and murderous regimes. 

I'm sure he's incredibly stupid. You make a powerful argument. 

Also, you are saying the point is the timing and not the fact that he names America's oversized opinion of its relative effort against Nazi Germany with, I believe, a clear allusion to how we justify our invasions after WWII? He says we entered the war because of Pearl Harbor not because of NAZI evil. He's right. We're rightfully proud of our part in destroying Hitler's Germany, but we wouldn't have gone when we did (if at all) without the sneak attack on Hawaii. Yet, we bend the narrative to reinforce the notion of our unique virtue. 

I suppose I am equally a dumbfuck, because I've made the same point many times.

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Why wouldn't he? 

Because it rings hollow when someone is ranting about how terrible something is while also profiting off of it. He's got 30 shows in America, 0 in China, 0 in Russia.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm sure he's incredibly stupid. You make a powerful argument. 

Also, you are saying the point is the timing and not the fact that he names America's oversized opinion of its relative effort against Nazi Germany with, I believe, a clear allusion to how we justify our invasions after WWII? He says we entered the war because of Pearl Harbor not because of NAZI evil. He's right. We're rightfully proud of our part in destroying Hitler's Germany, but we wouldn't have gone when we did (if at all) without the sneak attack on Hawaii. Yet, we bend the narrative to reinforce the notion of our unique virtue. 

I suppose I am equally a dumbfuck, because I've made the same point many times.

Why are you defending this person? He’s wrong about what the Soviets were doing in 1941. He straight up denied that atrocities are taking place in Xinjang. He blamed everyone except the country that invaded Ukraine for the invasion of Ukraine. But he sort of, kind of made a point you’ve made sometimes too, except for the whole “being wrong about everything and also denying human rights abuses.” 

Continuing to defend this shit is dumb as fuck, yes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He didn't just leave the band, he first made it an autocracy, and thus made it to where he, Gilmour and Richard Wright could never really work together again.  From most accounts not Roger Waters, he was the destructive force that led to the end of their best lineup.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Here's a fun question: do the Allies defeat Germany without the Soviet Union?

I'm not familiar with all of his views but if you're going to a concert with a performer known for expressing their political views, I don't fault Waters if a concert-goer is upset with it. Waters also doesn't seem to think of his shows as a concert but rather a show including political commentary.

If you just to listen to his music, just fire up Spotify and save yourself a lot of money.

• Hook 'Em 1