Worst National Titles in CFB History

closetojumping

On October 6th, 1990, at Faurot Field in Columbia, MO, the Colorado Buffaloes defeated the Missouri Tigers on the last play of the game from the 1 yard line with a stretched ball across the goal line on a run by back-up QB, Charles Johnson. The score gave CU the win by a score of 33-31. The touchdown was also scored on 5th and goal. The refs failed to change the down marker after the 2nd down play and didn't realize the mistake until after counting the score. 

That same season, Colorado beat Stanford in Boulder on a 4th down play with 16 seconds left in which replays showed that the player did not actually score. In the Orange Bowl, a ND player was called for a phantom clip on a TD punt return by Rocket Ismail, reversing the score and CU won the game shortly thereafter, 10-9. 

So CU won 3 games they should have lost. Two games, were they played today, wouldn't have survived replay review. In any event, with no one truly "wanting" to win the title that season, CU wound up being the AP's tallest midget and awarded them the national title. Georgia Tech was awarded the Coaches Poll (UPI) national title, being rewarded for being the only D-1 team without a loss, with their only blemish being a 13-13 to a young Mack Brown-led North Carolina team. 

I'll submit that both of those titles are amazingly weak, but CU's takes the cake. They went 10-1-1 and should have been 6-4-1 and unranked. 

College football is filled with a litany of bullshit national titles. I'm not posting this thread to discuss the nonsense awarded to teams 80 years later retroactively based on computer simulations, but anything else is fair game, going as far back as you'd like so long as the team being given the title was awarded as much contemporaneously. 

Here are a few other favorites:

1984 BYU Cougars - Another season in which no one was interested in actually winning the title, BYU played exactly one ranked team - they opened versus #3 Pitt, on the road. They beat Pitt 20-14 and then Pitt went on to go 3-7-1. They played in the WAC and didn't face another ranked team all season. They beat a Michigan team that finished 6-6 in the Holiday Bowl. Basically, BYU won a season long battle of attrition by standing off to the side and watching the big guys take each other down while they bullied a bunch of kindergartners and beat their chest.

2007 LSU Tigers - LSU went 12-2. They played a hapless and unathletic Ohio State team in the title game and crushed them. Ahead of that, they lost in the last regular week of the season in triple overtime to unranked Arkansas. Then they proceeded to watch as virtually every other ranked team in the top 10 not named OSU lost around them. #2 Kansas fell to #4 Missouri, then #1 Missouri choked against #9 OU in the Big 12 title game. #2 WVU lost to unranked Pitt. 2 other teams ahead of LSU after their Arky loss lost the following week. This is how Les fucking Miles won a national title - by outlasting multiple other dummies. 

Anyway, anybody got any other favorites? I never see history like this get discussed much on the board, but surely I'm not the only person here entertained by this kind of thing?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

The 1941 Alabama National championship has always stood out to me. They suffered two shutout losses that season and still claimed the national championship after beating aggy in a bowl game. Most fraudulent national title I can think of 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football_team

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1984 BYU Cougars - Another season in which no one was interested in actually winning the title, BYU played exactly one ranked team - they opened versus #3 Pitt, on the road. They beat Pitt 20-14 and then Pitt went on to go 3-7-1. They played in the WAC and didn't face another ranked team all season. They beat a Michigan team that finished 6-6 in the Holiday Bowl. Basically, BYU won a season long battle of attrition by standing off to the side and watching the big guys take each other down while they bullied a bunch of kindergartners and beat their chest.

We offered to play Oklahoma in our bowl game in 1984 but they declined in order to play Washington instead, we then dominated  Washington the following season in our game with them.  It's not like we purposefully avoided anyone.  A national title is still a national title and thus, I'll gladly claim it.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On October 6th, 1990, at Faurot Field in Columbia, MO, the Colorado Buffaloes defeated the Missouri Tigers on the last play of the game from the 1 yard line with a stretched ball across the goal line on a run by back-up QB, Charles Johnson. The score gave CU the win by a score of 33-31. The touchdown was also scored on 5th and goal. The refs failed to change the down marker after the 2nd down play and didn't realize the mistake until after counting the score. 

That same season, Colorado beat Stanford in Boulder on a 4th down play with 16 seconds left in which replays showed that the player did not actually score. In the Orange Bowl, a ND player was called for a phantom clip on a TD punt return by Rocket Ismail, reversing the score and CU won the game shortly thereafter, 10-9. 

So CU won 3 games they should have lost. Two games, were they played today, wouldn't have survived replay review. In any event, with no one truly "wanting" to win the title that season, CU wound up being the AP's tallest midget and awarded them the national title. Georgia Tech was awarded the Coaches Poll (UPI) national title, being rewarded for being the only D-1 team without a loss, with their only blemish being a 13-13 to a young Mack Brown-led North Carolina team. 

I'll submit that both of those titles are amazingly weak, but CU's takes the cake. They went 10-1-1 and should have been 6-4-1 and unranked. 

College football is filled with a litany of bullshit national titles. I'm not posting this thread to discuss the nonsense awarded to teams 80 years later retroactively based on computer simulations, but anything else is fair game, going as far back as you'd like so long as the team being given the title was awarded as much contemporaneously. 

Here are a few other favorites:

2007 LSU Tigers - LSU went 12-2. They played a hapless and unathletic Ohio State team in the title game and crushed them. Ahead of that, they lost in the last regular week of the season in triple overtime to unranked Arkansas. Then they proceeded to watch as virtually every other ranked team in the top 10 not named OSU lost around them. #2 Kansas fell to #4 Missouri, then #1 Missouri choked against #9 OU in the Big 12 title game. #2 WVU lost to unranked Pitt. 2 other teams ahead of LSU after their Arky loss lost the following week. This is how Les fucking Miles won a national title - by outlasting multiple other dummies. 

Anyway, anybody got any other favorites? I never see history like this get discussed much on the board, but surely I'm not the only person here entertained by this kind of thing?

You nailed my Top 2.  1990 Colorado the "5th Down Favorites" and that 1984 BYU joke team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

2011 Bama was really dumb. Okie Lite received more than a few AP#1 votes that year I believe. 

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

2011 will always piss me off. Bama had the easier path to the title game after losing to LSU while LSU still had to play in the conference title game. Would’ve loved to see Weeden, Blackmon and Randle against that LSU defense. 

Late to the punch, as usual 

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

2011 will always piss me off. Bama had the easier path to the title game after losing to LSU while LSU still had to play in the conference title game. Would’ve loved to see Weeden, Blackmon and Randle against that LSU defense. 

The reason we now have a 4 team playoff. Of course, only after we got screwed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'll submit that both of those titles are amazingly weak, but CU's takes the cake. They went 10-1-1 and should have been 6-4-1 and unranked

I’ll add to that one. CU was fortunate to win against Texas in Austin. We had their defense on the ropes in the late 3Q (early 4Q?). They were gassed. What did McWilliams and OC Lynn Amedee (former aggy OC) do when we immediately got the ball back?  Run it down their throats?  Nope. They swapped out our entire (or almost entire) OL because they wanted to give our guys a rest. We went 3-and-out, they went on a sustained drive, their D got a break, and we lost a close game.

The interesting thing is, had we won the CU game, we likely would have played ND in the Cotton Bowl for the MNC instead of The U. ND was a matchup we might’ve actually won.

Nobody would’ve known how much better Miami was than Texas had we not played them. In fact, Texas may not even be on threads like this if we won it all. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

We offered to play Oklahoma in our bowl game in 1984 but they declined in order to play Washington instead, we then dominated Washington the following season in our game with them.  It's not like we purposefully avoided anyone.  A national title is still a national title and thus, I'll gladly claim it.  

Big 8 champ OU was obligated to play in the Orange Bowl. If BYU offered to play OU, isn’t that the Orange Bowl choosing Washington rather than OU dodging BYU? 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

We offered to play Oklahoma in our bowl game in 1984 but they declined in order to play Washington instead, we then dominated  Washington the following season in our game with them.  It's not like we purposefully avoided anyone.  A national title is still a national title and thus, I'll gladly claim it.  

This is the third time I’ve seen you mention the ‘85 BYU team beating the ‘85 Huskies, as support for the ‘84 title. That makes no sense to me. In ‘85, Washington went 7-5. How does that mean anything about ‘84?

For

comparison, Texas went 7-4-1 in 1984. There were five teams that beat or tied Texas in 1984 that would have been destroyed by the Horns in 1983. 

Maybe you should defend BYU’s MNC in 1984 (emphasis on “M”) by just talking about 1984. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, statsman said:

This is the third time I’ve seen you mention the ‘85 BYU team beating the ‘85 Huskies, as support for the ‘84 title. That makes no sense to me. In ‘85, Washington went 7-5. How does that mean anything about ‘84?

For

comparison, Texas went 7-4-1 in 1984. There were five teams that beat or tied Texas in 1984 that would have been destroyed by the Horns in 1983. 

Maybe you should defend BYU’s MNC in 1984 (emphasis on “M”) by just talking about 1984. 

It's no more of a "MNC" then any other programs MNC.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

For

As long as he is wearing his magic underwear he can say whatever best fits his chosen narrative.

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

I would claim it, too. You'd be a fool not to do so. Just the same though, you have to recognize why others, especially patricians like Texas fans, would point to it as one of the worst titles ever awarded, right?

1 hour ago, Bigbend1812 said:

1939 Texas A&M -  Fucking lulz. Come on! 

So who was the alternative for that title? Didn't USC have a better record and team? I don't recall ever really digging into it, personally.

3 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

22-2-1 over that 2-year stretch and go look at the non-conference teams we played during that run.  We would have won the coaches poll too if Osborne had any honor.  CTJ can eat a dick.

Look, you get to claim the title. I didn't take that away from you. I was a young fan and enjoyed watching those CU teams. That said, yeah, it's an incredibly weak title and usually one of the top 5 on anyone's list, and you know that. 

Separately, since we're talking about that piece of shit, Tom Osborne, he's involved with several titles that could go on this thread.

1) 1997 - Again, Missouri sits at the forefront of the controversy. Mizzou was a mediocre team that season and had lost to Nebraska 18 straight times. On the last play of the game, with Missouri up 38-31, Scott Frost hits his flexbone WR in the fucking chest, that dude drops the pass, it gets kicked by a defender and then the WR kicks it again, and then Whitey Davison dives in from nowhere and catches the ball off the carpet. Missouri fans had stormed the field, but the "Flea Kicker" was called a TD.

Anyway, eventually, the refs ruled the kicking accidental and officially gave the TD to Nebraska. They went on to win in OT. After routing UTenn in the bowl game while UNL was ranked #2, the coaches voted UNL #1 over Michigan, splitting the national title. Unsurprisingly, Tom Osborne had announced his retirement just ahead of the bowl and then his players lobbied and begged on national tv for the coaches to be sympathetic. Of course they fucking were and UNL got a part of the damned thing. 

2) 1983 - Osborne takes #1 ranked Nebraska to the Orange Bowl where they play #5 Miami. Osborne elects to go for 2 pts and the win, late, and failed to convert. In 1983, OT didn't exist and Osborne wanted an outright title or nothing at all. I wrote a thread that got pretty fun about this game on Shaggy, but it's gone now. If Osborne understood game theory, he would have known the dominant choice in going for 2 pts was with an earlier score.

They were coming from behind and they could have gone for the conversion on an earlier series to then know for sure what their choices were, should they score again at the end. Had they converted the earlier conversion, kick the EP on the final touchdown and go home a champ. Miss it, and then you're going for another 2 pt conversion anyway for a chance to tie (and with the way things turned out that day, probably also win the national title without criticisms of "settling for the tie"). 

Instead, dumbfuck didn't understand math and economics, UNL lost. Then Craig Curry and Fred Akers had angry football sex on the floor of the Cotton Bowl and their hideous offspring was #2 Texas not beating fucking Georgia. #4 Illinois was rolled in Rose Bowl 45-9, and #3 Auburn barely beat a mediocre Michigan team, 9-7. Osborne knew all of this by the 4th quarter of the late in the evening Orange Bowl. Dude kicks the EP and they go home with a national title. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Do you really think we spike the ball on 4th down? 
Also, fuck mizzou and their shitty old turf field.

I’ve always said that. Colorado would’ve played that sequence differently had the officials not fucked up. Would they have won? Who knows.

Bama’s 2011 championship was horseshit. They should never have gotten the rematch with LSU.
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Johnson fucking said he had no awareness that the markers were wrong. It was year 1 of CFB players being able to legally spike the ball and there were multiple errors that year in handling the spikes across the country.

The old turf, which Missouri alum and sweet, morally sound Bill McCartney attempted to absurdly blame for the outcome of the game and a reason why the game's score should not be corrected, had nothing to do with getting a 5th down and CU sucking balls that day.

Just now, C-Man said:

I’ve always said that. Colorado would’ve played that sequence differently had the officials not fucked up. Would they have won? Who knows.

Bama’s 2011 championship was horseshit. They should never have gotten the rematch with LSU.

The Bama/LSU title game for the 2011 season is the only national title game that I can remember since New Year's Day, 1984, in which I purposely didn't watch it. I have friends involved with Bama and they get more upset when told that that title was horseshit than they do about any other dispute. But fuck them. Alabama should not have been in that game and that title is a media-manufactured sham. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The old turf, which Missouri alum and sweet, morally sound Bill McCartney attempted to absurdly blame for the outcome of the game and a reason why the game's score should not be corrected, had nothing to do with getting a 5th down and CU sucking balls that day.

Jesus' favorite coach Bill McCartney acting in a dodgy manner? I find that hard to believe. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The Bama/LSU title game for the 2011 season is the only national title game that I can remember since New Year's Day, 1984, in which I purposely didn't watch it. I have friends involved with Bama and they get more upset when told that that title was horseshit than they do about any other dispute. But fuck them. Alabama should not have been in that game and that title is a media-manufactured sham. 

I purposely have watched no title games since January 2010. Too much PTSD.

• Like 1

Any retro-actively claimed title. If your administration at the time didn't think you won it, you most certainly didn't. Here's looking at you, Texas A&M, Alabama, Washington, and Oklahoma State just off memory.

Second, 1974 OU. On probation so ineligible for a bowl game or the Coaches Poll. Fuck cheaters and fuck OU.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Any retro-actively claimed title. If your administration at the time didn't think you won it, you most certainly didn't. Here's looking at you, Texas A&M, Alabama, Washington, and Oklahoma State just off memory.

Yeah. This absolutely.

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

SC's '04 AP NC.  LSU wins the BCS title, SC doesn't even play in the title game, but claims the title anyway.

Naw, it’s as legit as any pre-BCS MNC. 

This is as good a time as any to mention one of the craziest figures in college football history, the coach of UCLA’s last MNC (and it was legit). His name was Red Sanders. He was a southerner, hired away from Vanderbilt by the Bruins. Almost immediately, he outraged the locals by dropping a “N-bomb” during a booster talk. Even in the 1950’s, that was no bueno in LA. 
Sanders won pretty big at UCLA, but died of a heart attack while banging a hooker in a cheap downtown LA hotel. 

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

SC's '04 AP NC.  LSU wins the BCS title, SC doesn't even play in the title game, but claims the title anyway.

For the 03 season but I agree with 04 in general. SC had multiple ineligible players and knew it. That game should have been Auburn vs OU.

The 83 Miami also stinks. (putting on a helmet here because I know Texas should could have won it) but that Miami team didn't play anyone. Nebraska was highly overated because they beat Penn State badly in the first game. They really didn't play anyone either. I still mad that a one loss Auburn (to Texas) didn't even move up when everyone above them lost in bowls. I also wonder if Texas had won their bowl - would they have won it over Miami. The NBC press department spent an entire month advertising the Orange Bowl as the NC.

But the 84 BYU was just bad. Because of conference tie ins they didn;t even play in a "big" bowl. IIRC they beat Michigan in Holiday Bowl

19 minutes ago, statsman said:

Naw, it’s as legit as any pre-BCS MNC. 

This is as good a time as any to mention one of the craziest figures in college football history, the coach of UCLA’s last MNC (and it was legit). His name was Red Sanders. He was a southerner, hired away from Vanderbilt by the Bruins. Almost immediately, he outraged the locals by dropping a “N-bomb” during a booster talk. Even in the 1950’s, that was no bueno in LA. 
Sanders won pretty big at UCLA, but died of a heart attack while banging a hooker in a cheap downtown LA hotel. 

That deserves a thread of its on :)

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

I notice how you also conveniently forget that for some fucked up reason, while un-piling on the 2 yard line - the refs fucking called TO- FOR NO FUCKING REASON "they stopped the clock to unpile everybody"   - THATS NOT IN THE FUCKING RULES.

The ball was live, the play before was live and the mizzou players weren't lollygagging, they were getting up at a regular pace, yet the refs gave 7 free seconds of Time out on that last play...  a play where the entire CO line wasnt even SET yet until 5.5 seconds were left on the re-running clock.

that play never should have happened just from the time standpoint.

The refs literally fucked that last 30 seconds of gametime every which way to sunday.   and you kept getting the fucking beneficiary of that gift.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Never understood why Fla was considered the champ. All they did was the same thing Texas did - won all their games except 1 and beat ou by 10 on a neutral field. Our loss was to top 10 tech on the road and their was to unranked ole miss at home.

Speeches matter I guess.

I guess so.  Also, all we heard in 2006 and 2008 was that we couldn't have a rematch for the MNC.  All of the talking heads said that we had already seen the results and didn't need to see it again, and then we had the bullshit LSU-Bama rematch just a couple of years later.  Fuck the SEC bias bullshit...at least for a couple of more years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't watch it either.  The first one was boring and Alabama lost at home so they didn't deserve a rematch.

1960 Minnesota.  Went 8-1 and then lost the Rose Bowl.  Ole Miss was 9-0-1 and then won the Sugar Bowl.

Not quite as bad was:

1964 Alabama.  Jerry, Ken and the Pigs were unbeaten and won the Cotton.  Texas, who only lost to the Pigs beat previously unbeaten Alabama and Joe Namath in the Orange Bowl.

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

1960 Minnesota.  Went 8-1 and then lost the Rose Bowl.  Ole Miss was 9-0-1 and then won the Sugar Bowl.

Not quite as bad was:

1964 Alabama.  Jerry, Ken and the Pigs were unbeaten and won the Cotton.  Texas, who only lost to the Pigs beat previously unbeaten Alabama and Joe Namath in the Orange Bowl.

NCs were awarded before the bowls. Bowls were exhibitions. 

Ole Miss didn’t play a game outside Dixie. Even in their bowl. They didn’t play a single integrated team. Really want to go with them as NC? Think their star free safety, Clayton Thurston Beauregard IV, could cover a PAC WR?

49 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

For the 03 season but I agree with 04 in general. SC had multiple ineligible players and knew it. That game should have been Auburn vs OU.

The 83 Miami also stinks. (putting on a helmet here because I know Texas should could have won it) but that Miami team didn't play anyone. Nebraska was highly overated because they beat Penn State badly in the first game. They really didn't play anyone either. I still mad that a one loss Auburn (to Texas) didn't even move up when everyone above them lost in bowls. I also wonder if Texas had won their bowl - would they have won it over Miami. The NBC press department spent an entire month advertising the Orange Bowl as the NC.

But the 84 BYU was just bad. Because of conference tie ins they didn;t even play in a "big" bowl. IIRC they beat Michigan in Holiday Bowl

Texas wins the 1983 national title if they don't send anyone back to field the punt. It's still Texas and, frankly, the brand and ethos around it in 1983 might have been bigger in some ways. 

The issue for you guys was that Texas went into Jordan-Hare and just beat the absolute dogshit out of your team. At that point in time, you weren't going to be forgiven for that if there was a viable alternative. Auburn lost at home, 20-7, and the 7 points were scored with less than 2 minutes on the clock, long after the outcome had been decided. Final stats weren't that different, but the game was over at halftime against that Texas defense and they made Bo Jackson look more than mortal in that decisive half. No offense. 

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean literally, right after the 2011 BCS title game the talks took off in earnest and the agreement to start the CFP was in place within a year.

It's a cumulative effect. Auburn goes undefeated in 2003, LSU wins a ludicrous season in which everyone just rolled their eyes, Texas gets fucked without permission by Art Briles, you guys get runover by the SEC silliness, the Bama-LSU rematch has terrible numbers and an indefensibly boring outcome. Your robbery in 2011 along with the title game yawner that was traded for it were the end of the beginning, nothing more and nothing less. Everyone was fucking tired of the nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean literally, right after the 2011 BCS title game the talks took off in earnest and the agreement to start the CFP was in place within a year.

They didn't care that Okie St. got screwed.  They cared that Alabama-LSU drew the worst title game ratings.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

They didn't care that Okie St. got screwed.  They cared that Alabama-LSU drew the worst title game ratings.

I know. I'm more lamenting that it was the last straw but too late to help us out, which sucks ass. If they had made the change before we would have been, at worse, the three seed in the playoff.

05 Texas

Just kidding....  That was a badass team with a badass player/leader in VY.  I was a student at BYU at the time and made sure to rub it into the faces of USC fans (the California students) with my Sports Illustrated Rose Bowl National Champion Ship hat and shirt, lol.  Texas was my #2 favorite team at the time.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

05 Texas

Just kidding....  That was a badass team with a badass player/leader in VY.  I was a student at BYU at the time and made sure to rub it into the faces of USC fans (the California students) with my Sports Illustrated Rose Bowl National Champion Ship hat and shirt, lol.  Texas was my #2 favorite team at the time.  

The Office Questions GIF

• Haha 2