Worst National Titles in CFB History

closetojumping

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Literally no one is calling Tebow the GOAT but you in this thread and delusional Florida fans. You're attacking strawmen here. If someone at a bar tells me they think that Tebow was a better player than VY I'm ridiculing them until they either accept I'm right or one of us is kicked out. Tebow is properly rated. You must be going down some weird internet rabbit holes or hanging out with Tebow fans. 

i'm recounting to you actual experiences that i've had with real life people and countless people on r/cfb, and you're in here arguing with me about it for reasons i can't explain and frankly don't care about. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Edited by shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm recounting to you actual experiences that i've had with real life people and countless people on r/cfb, and you're in here arguing with me about it for reasons i can't explain and frankly don't care about. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

You must be going down some weird internet rabbit holes or hanging out with Tebow fans. 

Why are you making me repeat myself. 

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Tebow is Sam Ehlinger with better teammates.

I love Sam but no, it's not even close. I've seen them both play live a quite a few times.

Worst natty is 2003 LSU/USC

Because Oklahoma had no business playing for the championship after getting slaughtered in the big12 title game. Also fuck Oklahoma, fuck Lincoln Riley, fuck LSU and fuck USC, and fuck OSU too they came in #5 end of the year. 

2004 is hilarious because they fed USC blowU instead of Auburn. Then USC had to vacate the title later. 

All leading to 2005-2009 the golden age of cfb

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

2011 will always piss me off. Bama had the easier path to the title game after losing to LSU while LSU still had to play in the conference title game. Would’ve loved to see Weeden, Blackmon and Randle against that LSU defense. 

THIS! Okie State truly got screwed. Even Lou Holtz was ranting on College Football Final about how furious he was that it was a rematch between Bama and LSU. "Bama, you didn't win your conference or even play for the title, you shouldn't be in the National Championship!"

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They were coming from behind and they could have gone for the conversion on an earlier series to then know for sure what their choices were, should they score again at the end. Had they converted the earlier conversion, kick the EP on the final touchdown and go home a champ. Miss it, and then you're going for another 2 pt conversion anyway for a chance to tie (and with the way things turned out that day, probably also win the national title without criticisms of "settling for the tie"). 

Instead, dumbfuck didn't understand math and economics, UNL lost. Then Craig Curry and Fred Akers had angry football sex on the floor of the Cotton Bowl and their hideous offspring was #2 Texas not beating fucking Georgia.

I’ve enjoyed pissing in my Cornhusker friends’ Post Toasties when they bring this game up. I tell them that if both Texas and Nebraska have the chance to rethink one coach’s decision from that day, Akers doesn’t leave his defense on the field for a 4th-and-25 punt late in the game (or tells them that Jitter Fields is the only player who can field the ball since he at least returned kickoffs). Texas wins that game and forces TO into the same decision to go for 2 that night.

Gotdammit, my day is ruined now, thinking of that game. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Tebow is Sam Ehlinger with better teammates.

Absolutely. There was absolutely nothing special about Tebow. Not bad at all but not even close to the knob slobbing he received. I always said Sam and Tebow were the same player except Sam had Herman as coach and Tebow had Urban with a loaded roster. That 2008 Florida team would have ran Sam's Texas teams off the field with just talent alone. They could have placed any QB in there and won. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fletch said:

2011 will always piss me off. Bama had the easier path to the title game after losing to LSU while LSU still had to play in the conference title game. Would’ve loved to see Weeden, Blackmon and Randle against that LSU defense. 

Sigh.

I will never not believe that we wouldn't have beaten LSU easily. It was the perfect matchup for that OSU team - a very good defense and a plodding offense that was challenged in its ability to throw the forward pass.

The Stanford team we beat in the Fiesta Bowl was a WAY worse matchup because they had Andrew Luck and a host of NFL players on offense that was a huge problem for that defense.

Jordan Jefferson would have been about the 6th or 7th best QB that OSU team faced that year.  We faced 4 future NFL starters (Foles, Tannehill, RGIII, Luck), another long-term NFL backup (Landry Jones) and two other damn solid college QBs (Collin Klein, Seth Doege).

And yeah -- it was also likely the best and only change that OSU had to win a national title in football in my lifetime. Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 8/8/2022 at 1:07 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Big 8 champ OU was obligated to play in the Orange Bowl. If BYU offered to play OU, isn’t that the Orange Bowl choosing Washington rather than OU dodging BYU? 

I can assure you OU didn’t doge anyone and would’ve beaten BYU. ‘84 was a farce. 

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Excuse me?  UDub claims 1960 (Helms Foundation or something, which was awarded after the bowls; Huskies beat #1 Minnesota in Rose) and 1991.  

"On Sept. 29, 2007, in a ceremony at a game vs. USC, Washington made an official claim to the 1960 national championship."

https://gohuskies.com/sports/2020/12/21/uw-football-national-championships.aspx

See original comment: "Any retro-actively claimed title. If your administration at the time didn't think you won it, you most certainly didn't." Since 2007 is a different year than 1960, it fits the criteria.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sigh.

I will never not believe that we wouldn't have beaten LSU easily. It was the perfect matchup for that OSU team - a very good defense and a plodding offense that was challenged in its ability to throw the forward pass.

The Stanford team we beat in the Fiesta Bowl was a WAY worse matchup because they had Andrew Luck and a host of NFL players on offense that was a huge problem for that defense.

Jordan Jefferson would have been about the 6th or 7th best QB that OSU team faced that year.  We faced 4 future NFL starters (Foles, Tannehill, RGIII, Luck), another long-term NFL backup (Landry Jones) and two other damn solid college QBs (Collin Klein, Seth Doege).

And yeah -- it was also likely the best and only change that OSU had to win a national title in football in my lifetime. Oh well.

I felt like you would have been able to outscore LSU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

I felt like you would have been able to outscore LSU.

Yeah... like I said... we were able to out-score Andrew Luck and Stanford in the Fiesta, which was a much, much worse matchup for us.

The OSU defense that year gave up a bunch of yards but thrived on creating turnovers because of the pressure our offense put on the opposing offense to keep up.

I really think it possibly could have gotten ugly if we got up a few scores and then they are relying on Jordan Jefferson to throw every down to try and catch up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I can assure you OU didn’t doge anyone and would’ve beaten BYU. ‘84 was a farce. 

I always heard that Barry was scared to death of Reuben LaVell Edwards.

Come to think of it, that name does have certain ring to it, unbefitting a guy from Orem, Utah. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Literally no one is calling Tebow the GOAT but you in this thread and delusional Florida fans. You're attacking strawmen here. If someone at a bar tells me they think that Tebow was a better player than VY I'm ridiculing them until they either accept I'm right or one of us is kicked out. Tebow is properly rated. You must be going down some weird internet rabbit holes or hanging out with Tebow fans. 

espn's all time greatest college QBs here. guess who's no.1? and guess where most CFB fans get their opinions from?

your insistence that nobody but a select few gator homers thinks that tebow is the goat is just plain wrong. in fact i'm pretty stunned that anyone would argue otherwise. stop acting like i'm inventing the mythology of tim tebow, as if the subject isn't a known fact that's been extensively covered on these boards since tebow was at florida. 

also, while googling "top cfb qbs of all time" to find that espn video, i stumbled across a bleacher report list that had colt brennan at no.8 and VY at no.25. so that was the most unbelievably stupid thing i've seen in a while.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

espn's all time greatest college QBs here. guess who's no.1? and guess where most CFB fans get their opinions from?

your insistence that nobody but a select few gator homers thinks that tebow is the goat is just plain wrong. in fact i'm pretty stunned that anyone would argue otherwise. stop acting like i'm inventing the mythology of tim tebow, as if the subject isn't a known fact that's been extensively covered on these boards since tebow was at florida. 

also, while googling "top cfb qbs of all time" to find that espn video, i stumbled across a bleacher report list that had colt brennan at no.8 and VY at no.25. so that was the most unbelievably stupid thing i've seen in a while.

Okay, Derka. Most agree with your issues. Leave the other rube alone. It’s not all that germane to the thread from this point forward. 

On 8/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, bullet said:

1960 Minnesota.  Went 8-1 and then lost the Rose Bowl.  Ole Miss was 9-0-1 and then won the Sugar Bowl.

Not quite as bad was:

1964 Alabama.  Jerry, Ken and the Pigs were unbeaten and won the Cotton.  Texas, who only lost to the Pigs beat previously unbeaten Alabama and Joe Namath in the Orange Bowl.

I live and breathe Alabama football but I don’t claim 64 as a NC. In those days UPI named the champion after the regular season. Is the trophy in the case? Yes. Does it mean anything? Other than recognizing a good season, nah.

66 is the one that chaps me the most. Bama goes undefeated and Snake Stabler & Co. shredded Nebraska 34-7 in the Sugar Bowl. Ending the regular season, Sparty and ND played to a 10-10 tie with ND running out the clock at midfield, no less. ND, which didn’t play in bowls in those days, gets the natty. Nossir, I don’t like it.

One year in the 70s, can’t remember which, #5 ND magically jumped #2 Bama although both won their bowl games. Don’t like that either.

19 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sigh.

Dude, I don’t quite feel ya, but I understand. I think Blackmon would’ve owned honey badger and Weeden would’ve been locked in. Damn fucking shame for y’all and college football. Watching that offense against that LSU defense would’ve been legendary. Thanks ESPN! Game of the century part deaux!!!!

God fucking dammit that game still pisses me off. The regular season game was fun in the snot slinger way but come the fuck on. We didn’t need a fucking rematch. And fuck it. Why not a game 3? Everything about 2011 pisses me off

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

I live and breathe Alabama football but I don’t claim 64 as a NC. In those days UPI named the champion after the regular season. Is the trophy in the case? Yes. Does it mean anything? Other than recognizing a good season, nah.

66 is the one that chaps me the most. Bama goes undefeated and Snake Stabler & Co. shredded Nebraska 34-7 in the Sugar Bowl. Ending the regular season, Sparty and ND played to a 10-10 tie with ND running out the clock at midfield, no less. ND, which didn’t play in bowls in those days, gets the natty. Nossir, I don’t like it.

One year in the 70s, can’t remember which, #5 ND magically jumped #2 Bama although both won their bowl games. Don’t like that either.

We (Bama) were also recognized by the AP as champs in 1964. As pointed out many times before, the bowl games just weren't that important back then..just a fun trip/award for the players for a good season. Bryant clearly didn't care that much about the bowls as evidenced by his bowl game record. 1966 was a fucking travesty.

54 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

We (Bama) were also recognized by the AP as champs in 1964. As pointed out many times before, the bowl games just weren't that important back then..just a fun trip/award for the players for a good season. Bryant clearly didn't care that much about the bowls as evidenced by his bowl game record. 1966 was a fucking travesty.

Point taken and I stand corrected. Someone with more intelligence and time than I have needs to graph / rank how long teams remained in the hunt for a MNC over the years. For most of the 60s, 70s, and years 2008-2021, Bama was the hunt deep into the season. That has been the most amazing element in the Saban years, IMHO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Squints said:

If it was awarded at the time by the AP or the Coaches' Poll, I count it. If not, I don't.  Bowl games were not consistently valued as part of the official season until the early 70s, once both the AP and Coaches' polls settled on awarding their trophies after the bowl games, and never changed again.  So that includes those mid-60s/early-70s seasons where sometimes a team lost a bowl game but one or both of the Polls had already awarded its MNC after the regular season.  That's part of college football and just the way it is.

But I exclude retroactive MNCs, and I exclude weird non-nationally recognized NCs that weren't broadly known or accepted at the time.  No, the St. Joseph County Fair college football national championship for 1948, does not count. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Point taken and I stand corrected. Someone with more intelligence and time than I have needs to graph / rank how long teams remained in the hunt for a MNC over the years. For most of the 60s, 70s, and years 2008-2021, Bama was the hunt deep into the season. That has been the most amazing element in the Saban years, IMHO. 

All I can say is to enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever. I was in school during the Bryant era and knew then to appreciate (when sober) the moment. I just hope that after Saban retires, our journey into the wilderness won't be as long or as painful as the last one.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, Zeus said:

I love Sam but no, it's not even close. I've seen them both play live a quite a few times.

Worst natty is 2003 LSU/USC

Because Oklahoma had no business playing for the championship after getting slaughtered in the big12 title game. Also fuck Oklahoma, fuck Lincoln Riley, fuck LSU and fuck USC, and fuck OSU too they came in #5 end of the year. 

2004 is hilarious because they fed USC blowU instead of Auburn. Then USC had to vacate the title later. 

All leading to 2005-2009 the golden age of cfb

Tebow was an overrated blow hard.  Just admit it.  So glad he got his ass handed to him and went out crying.  Ehlinger easily could have been Teblow on that team, especially if he decided to give long winded Jesus speeches.  

edit: and lol and any morons referencing Espin lists.  Anyone with half a brain knows VY and even Cam were on another level.  That jump pass tho!

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa claims a natty from the late 50's in a year they had 2 losses and LSU had 1.  And it came from some publication that doesn't exist anymore.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I looked it up.  1958.

Iowa went 8-1-1 and was awarded the FWAA national championship.

LSU was 10-0 and won the AP and Coach's poll.  It's on par (arguably worse) than UCF claiming the 2017 title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NCAA_University_Division_football_season

The FWAA does still exist. With the advent of the CFP, the FWAA automatically declares the CFP winner as national champion. So you're right that the publication doesn't vote anymore on a champ, but they're still around. However, nobody should be counting 1958 Iowa as a national champion.

Edited by n64ra

This may be a bad interpretation of the topic but that 2013 Florida State team may have been the worst championship team of that decade. Feels like Bama was rebuilding and would have won had the kick 6 not happened. Plus nobody else was super impressive that year and all we cared about was the 2014 playoff. The Bama/LSU debacle a few years earlier was a worse title but man that FSU team was as forgettable as they come. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

"How do you win a National Championship? Well, first Notre Dame has to lose..." - DKR

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

I don't have any problem with Alabama claiming that one.  But Arkansas did get the shaft that year.  They were also unbeaten in the regular season.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Tebow was an overrated blow hard.  Just admit it.  So glad he got his ass handed to him and went out crying.  Ehlinger easily could have been Teblow on that team, especially if he decided to give long winded Jesus speeches.  

edit: and lol and any morons referencing Espin lists.  Anyone with half a brain knows VY and even Cam were on another level.  That jump pass tho!

On 8/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, closetojumping said:

On October 6th, 1990, at Faurot Field in Columbia, MO, the Colorado Buffaloes defeated the Missouri Tigers on the last play of the game from the 1 yard line with a stretched ball across the goal line on a run by back-up QB, Charles Johnson. The score gave CU the win by a score of 33-31. The touchdown was also scored on 5th and goal. The refs failed to change the down marker after the 2nd down play and didn't realize the mistake until after counting the score. 

That same season, Colorado beat Stanford in Boulder on a 4th down play with 16 seconds left in which replays showed that the player did not actually score. In the Orange Bowl, a ND player was called for a phantom clip on a TD punt return by Rocket Ismail, reversing the score and CU won the game shortly thereafter, 10-9. 

So CU won 3 games they should have lost. Two games, were they played today, wouldn't have survived replay review. In any event, with no one truly "wanting" to win the title that season, CU wound up being the AP's tallest midget and awarded them the national title. Georgia Tech was awarded the Coaches Poll (UPI) national title, being rewarded for being the only D-1 team without a loss, with their only blemish being a 13-13 to a young Mack Brown-led North Carolina team. 

I'll submit that both of those titles are amazingly weak, but CU's takes the cake. They went 10-1-1 and should have been 6-4-1 and unranked. 

College football is filled with a litany of bullshit national titles. I'm not posting this thread to discuss the nonsense awarded to teams 80 years later retroactively based on computer simulations, but anything else is fair game, going as far back as you'd like so long as the team being given the title was awarded as much contemporaneously. 

Here are a few other favorites:

1984 BYU Cougars - Another season in which no one was interested in actually winning the title, BYU played exactly one ranked team - they opened versus #3 Pitt, on the road. They beat Pitt 20-14 and then Pitt went on to go 3-7-1. They played in the WAC and didn't face another ranked team all season. They beat a Michigan team that finished 6-6 in the Holiday Bowl. Basically, BYU won a season long battle of attrition by standing off to the side and watching the big guys take each other down while they bullied a bunch of kindergartners and beat their chest.

2007 LSU Tigers - LSU went 12-2. They played a hapless and unathletic Ohio State team in the title game and crushed them. Ahead of that, they lost in the last regular week of the season in triple overtime to unranked Arkansas. Then they proceeded to watch as virtually every other ranked team in the top 10 not named OSU lost around them. #2 Kansas fell to #4 Missouri, then #1 Missouri choked against #9 OU in the Big 12 title game. #2 WVU lost to unranked Pitt. 2 other teams ahead of LSU after their Arky loss lost the following week. This is how Les fucking Miles won a national title - by outlasting multiple other dummies. 

Anyway, anybody got any other favorites? I never see history like this get discussed much on the board, but surely I'm not the only person here entertained by this kind of thing?

I immediately thought of 2 loss LSU, but the CU season you mentioned was actually much worse.

4 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

All I can say is to enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever. I was in school during the Bryant era and knew then to appreciate (when sober) the moment. I just hope that after Saban retires, our journey into the wilderness won't be as long or as painful as the last one.

You have that shit right. I certainly enjoyed 1998-2009 as a Texas fan and knew it was fleeting. It always is unless you are Ohio State and have the most unbelievable run of HC hires in the history of the sport. Even Earl Bruce and John Cooper ran a top 10 program while there.

To counter your last point, I'm actively cheering for you guys to get at least a full decade of pain and anguish after Darth Saban fades out. We've had 12 years and counting, so a decade for you guys after this fucking cycle only seems fair.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I looked it up.  1958.

Iowa went 8-1-1 and was awarded the FWAA national championship.

LSU was 10-0 and won the AP and Coach's poll.  It's on par (arguably worse) than UCF claiming the 2017 title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NCAA_University_Division_football_season

3 hours ago, n64ra said:

The FWAA does still exist. With the advent of the CFP, the FWAA automatically declares the CFP winner as national champion. So you're right that the publication doesn't vote anymore on a champ, but they're still around. However, nobody should be counting 1958 Iowa as a national champion.

I get the point of not wanting to count Iowa's 1958 title, but that was kind of the point of this thread. They can legitimately count it. It was contemporaneously awarded by a legitimate institution. Football Writers Association of America is credible. And it was a shit title to be awarded.

Similarly, the NCAA recognizes UCF's national title claim in 2017 and they were absolutely excluded from competing for the NC via the playoff. They have every right to claim it and be happy with it. 

That all considered, yeah, we don't have to agree with viewing them as good choices. I certainly don't consider 2017 a "split title" year, but UCF has every bit the right to claim that title as Bama or Tennessee or Ohio State or ATM does in the counting of all of their non-AP/UPI/Coaches/BCS/CFP titles and even more so than all of the shit "awarded" decades after the fact.

Iowa State fans regularly call into local talk radio stations and bring up the 1958 National Championship deal, I have never heard a single Hawk fans mention it aside from a trivia question or footnote. The Cyclone fans seriously pick up a phone call and call into a radio show to tell the hosts that LSU was undefeated that year.