Hard Knocks 2022: Midseason with the Cardinals

4th&Five

19 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Would you trade Mike McCarthy for Dan Cambell right now if you had a choice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninety-eight percent of the assholes on Surly would be an upgrade of McCarthy.  Hell, a corpse in the morgue would be an upgrade on McCarthy.

Agree. Success in Detroit is a low bar, but I think he will build a new culture if the Fords just stay out of his way.

That’s the point. They had a guy with Jim Caldwell who had them on the right track and the best prospects they’d had for decades and they whacked him. (How has this guy not gotten another shot?)

That franchise has such a history of ineptitude and losing its hard to break the curse. I hope he can get something done. I don’t like the Lions but would like Campbell to succeed.

Campbell is not rah rah in a fake way. He was a strong player in the league and a disciple of Parcells. He is excitable but serious as fuck about learning how to win, something his team is ignorant about.

Bad rah rah is a Brian Kelly. Dancing in his sailor pants and velvet shoes with a player. Speaking with a fake accent. Chad Morris with his goofy shit.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:56 AM, Mac8111 said:

Would you trade Mike McCarthy for Dan Cambell right now if you had a choice ?

Uh, yeah….”I’ve already seen fuckin’ three What the Fucks and two Bullshits.”

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Here’s what they’re doing at the QB position. I’ll spoiler it just in case anyone is that wrapped up. 

Spoiler

The dude is really small and likely has a fucked up knee thanks to Eze. He's a nice guy and you know where they finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great point. I don’t know how much the teams influence the narrative but if you contrast last season with the Cowboys with this one, it’s two different shows. Last year it was showcasing the Star, the helicopter, facilities. McCarthy was dull as shit. The player stories were forced. The lions focused on Dan Campbell, his struggles to fight a losing culture, no Ford owners but tasteful Ford placements.

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Good season. I don’t know why people think the quality of the team matters. It’s about the personalities and this staff had that. Much better than that bag of fat, McCarthy. 

Yeah just because of how the selection process for the teams work, it's almost always going to be a bad team.

For me, it's mostly about celebrating the return of football.

• Hook 'Em 1

As hyped as Hard Knocks got me for the season I still think the defense is going to be pretty bad. Goff has been getting a lot of hype around town that he is able to throw downfield again and now that he has weapons lots of excitement for the offense. 

I still think 5-6 wins is the best this team is going to be this year, and I'm good with it. I would take another season like last year with lots of losses, but keeping it close and competing. They are one more draft class away from being able to contest for a wild card spot. 

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Apparently Stafford watched it too and got homesick.

There was so much hype that he was going to "come home" after a few years in LA and do what Lebron did in Cleveland. Then he signed the extension.....

I want the rams to completely implode this year, need that draft pick to be higher than 32nd.

• Like 1

As hyped as Hard Knocks got me for the season I still think the defense is going to be pretty bad. Goff has been getting a lot of hype around town that he is able to throw downfield again and now that he has weapons lots of excitement for the offense. 
I still think 5-6 wins is the best this team is going to be this year, and I'm good with it. I would take another season like last year with lots of losses, but keeping it close and competing. They are one more draft class away from being able to contest for a wild card spot. 

I think Lions will improve, maybe 5-7 wins. I’m a Dan Campbell fan and hope the fords support him. The best thing for them would be to tank and get a high pick to get a QB but Coach won’t allow that.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I think Lions will improve, maybe 5-7 wins. I’m a Dan Campbell fan and hope the fords support him. The best thing for them would be to tank and get a high pick to get a QB but Coach won’t allow that.

He didn't do them any favors yesterday with his terrible clock management. He gifted Philly 3 points to end the half, and the final margin of victory...... 3 points. 

I love campbell but he is too emotional. Get pissed off and fired up, but then take a breath and make the right call. First down on philly's 17 with 3 minutes left, he runs a hurry up on first down and then again on second down and its 4th and 1 before the 2 minute warning. Philly keeps all their time outs and goes down the field easily. Could have ran it down inside a minute.

First and 10 on the 17, you have 2 time outs and a maximum of 8 plays before you run out of field. Why in the world would you run hurry up. 

I didn’t watch much of the game. Your points are correct, and bad clock management seems endemic in the league. Zac Taylor cost his team the game with total stupidity to go with the lack of an o line and Burrow spraying it all over.

It’s like don’t these teams have analysts in the booth running scenarios and algorithms in seconds and getting coach’s ear.

I think it’s also an issue with genius HCs who remain the OC or DC. Just manage the game. Although McCarthy can’t manage a clock or stop stupid penalties and he doesn’t call plays.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I didn’t watch much of the game. Your points are correct, and bad clock management seems endemic in the league. Zac Taylor cost his team the game with total stupidity to go with the lack of an o line and Burrow spraying it all over.

It’s like don’t these teams have analysts in the booth running scenarios and algorithms in seconds and getting coach’s ear.

I think it’s also an issue with genius HCs who remain the OC or DC. Just manage the game. Although McCarthy can’t manage a clock or stop stupid penalties and he doesn’t call plays.

I know the madden champ thing is a running joke, and hindsight is 20/20 but the average fan should not have better situational awareness than the head coach. 

When they hurried to the line on first down, i was telling my wife no way are they going to run a play, 22 seconds left on the playclock and oh shit they snapped it, OK maybe they were trying to catch the D off guard, they will let this run down to the 2 minute warning so Philly has no time left to score aga..... what the fuck they just snapped the ball again, and now they are hurrying to the line, wtf is happening. 

My wife probably thought i was having a stroke but it was just an unreal chain of events. Yeah they scored on 4th down but there should have been 20 seconds left in the half not 1:52

• 2 weeks later...

The best offense in the NFL, and the worst defense in the NFL. Its really incredible. 
Also in ways the lions can lose games, that have never happened before..... Yesterday the Seahawks ran a play on 3rd and 16. Geno throws the ball away, should be 4th down and 16. But wait...... Refs conferring, and they come back and say, the clock was stopped prior to the snap (not sure why that matters) replay 3rd down...... Of course the next play is a Touchdown. 
The refs are out here giving fucking do overs, no flag, no penalty, just an extra down for the seahawks.

3ba69ca674c5ae8a69ace7b53f99dd6d.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trading Hock, who you spent a top 7 pick on, for literally nothing is the ultimate white flag move. They got two picks for him, and would have gotten a compensatory second or third anyway if they just let him walk..... Makes no sense. 

They must really like Bryce Young. 

• Like 1

• 4th&Five changed the title to Hard Knocks 2022: Midseason with the Cardinals