RIP Olivia Newton-John

PenelopeWitherspoon

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I saw Grease in Fayetteville, Arkansas. 

On a dead tweener weekend of Razorback basketball camp when the athletic dorms were shut down for cleaning and all the other campers had gone back to prison, my best friend and I were staying for 2 weeks and became the guests of none other than Eddie Sutton and Pat Foster. 

Eddie showed up in his Cadillac with Pat Foster in the front seat and said "hop in, we're going to get some supper and then go see OLN in Grease.  Throw you crap in the trunk."  We were in 8th grade and had nothing better to do.  

Eddie may have seemed to be a curmudgeon on the court but he was a really nice fellow.  A few years later while in high school, I ran into him at SMU when to Pigs took on the Ponies.  He called me by name, sized me up and said I hadn't grown much and I oughta try golf or some such.  We yucked it up a bit and off he went.

OLN and Eddie Sutton share a strange place together in my memory bank.

I'm outta rep, but that is a great fucking story.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gut punch.  One of pop's great natural singers, and of course hot as balls.  I think she turned Travolta straight for a couple of years.

Smoke show for sure, beautiful voice definitely.  Not sure about that last part though, but he did seem tempted 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Man, when good girl Sandy showed up in that black leather outfit...schwing! She was drop dead gorgeous and I don’t mean that disrespectfully. I was in her thrall.

RIP

Minor point of order, if I'm remembering my 70s correctly, pretty sure that's Lycra.  The original yoga pants. 

The type of music she sang was never my cup of tea but she was a great singer and of course beautiful.  

Loved her in Grease.  

The sound track from Grease and just her music in general were part of everybody's life growing up in the late 70s and early 80s***.

***Basically, you were going to hear her music everywhere.

Get some rest, Sandy.

On a dead tweener weekend of Razorback basketball camp when the athletic dorms were shut down for cleaning and all the other campers had gone back to prison, my best friend and I were staying for 2 weeks and became the guests of none other than Eddie Sutton and Pat Foster. 
Eddie showed up in his Cadillac with Pat Foster in the front seat and said "hop in, we're going to get some supper and then go see OLN in Grease.  Throw you crap in the trunk."  We were in 8th grade and had nothing better to do.  
Eddie may have seemed to be a curmudgeon on the court but he was a really nice fellow.  A few years later while in high school, I ran into him at SMU when to Pigs took on the Ponies.  He called me by name, sized me up and said I hadn't grown much and I oughta try golf or some such.  We yucked it up a bit and off he went.
Great story, but who the fuck is "OLN?"
  • Haha 1

She was really talented as well as beautiful. Early stuff was outstanding. She sort of got taken over by pop culture low common denominator status and dumbed down starting with "Let's Get Physical," which was just a total waste of her talents.  That song pretty much ushered in the shitty part of the 80s.

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Great story, but who the fuck is "OLN?"

I know.  Went back to edit but too late. OLN = ONJ.   I’ve had better moments.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Saw her live at WTSU (fuck the new a&m part) in the field house.  Good show, very capable singer, and a lovely, lovely woman.  Very sad.

What year was that?  My brother graduated from WT prior to the takeover.  His diploma was signed by T. Boone Pickens.  Aggy sent him a letter advising him of 'the once in a lifetime opportunity to trade in the WT diploma for a much more valued aggy diploma'.    He wrote "FUCK OFF AGGY" on the letter and mailed it back.  

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, hullabelew said:

What year was that?  My brother graduated from WT prior to the takeover.  His diploma was signed by T. Boone Pickens.  Aggy sent him a letter advising him of 'the once in a lifetime opportunity to trade in the WT diploma for a much more valued aggy diploma'.    He wrote "FUCK OFF AGGY" on the letter and mailed it back.  

I believe 1974, that’s what the wife and I decided last night on the way to dinner; interestingly, she did EXACTLY the same thing with her diploma trade offer!

• Like 1

It's funny, but his one has hit harder than a lot of recent rock star deaths of even those who were my very favorites, and still listened to regularly. Hadn't heard or thought much about Olivia in a couple of decades, but she really was a more significant artist from my past than I probably thought she was. Or maybe it's partially because she was so beautiful, and I'm a sucker for a pretty face, especially one so genuine. She didn't have to try very hard, she jus had it. Just like her singing.

She was such a fixture in my life for at least a decade it's like losing family that you were once very close to until you moved apart and hadn't spoken in a long time.

Edited by DougO

• 2 weeks later...