LBGTQ

Mo Horn

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Meanwhile, over on texaggy, they are pissed off that Southern Star will not be at that little fascist murder’s free speech event. Texaggy is the types of folks running this state headfirst into a fascist theocracy.

Given that it's in their neck of the woods, if I'm working at that place, I'd be thinking about some body armor.  Some nutcase is liable to fire a few shots in there some night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Some low level employee was the one that contacted me back, shift manager or some shit. Was pissed in his VM that the event was cancelled.  Basically said it was people like Kyle and he who kept bad guys from getting my family.  And that when people like them are silenced, bad things happen to good people like me.  I guess MS-13 is coming here to kill Texans and drink craft IPA……..and we’re all out craft IPA. 

i was gonna call and say I made mistakes with regard to TABC laws but the fallout from this has been too funny.  Well, not that funny.  Kyle is gonna grift money off this so i guess joke is on me.  Still, the stuff I instantly think of while taking a shit ruins the week for thousands of horrible people.  Puts a pep in my step. 

also, I’m deeply curious who is handling Kyle’s money and media right now.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I know the religious right has been incredibly politically active for the last 40 years.  Then MAGA/Christian Nationalism put it into overdrive.  And we have new depths to sink to before we make our way back up to decency.  And finally, maybe this is just wishful thinking.  But this really is starting to feel like the hurried and twisted desperation of a movement that knows it's dying.  

People with this much hate in their hearts are gonna pass it around their families and communities.  But in terms of political sway, I don't see this lasting more than 7-10 years.  The support isn't there for it, demographies change, and the political will may fade like the stars at dawn.  they just can't finance and win elections without that fringe third that's not so much far-right as far-gone right.  They need their turnout in Texas otherwise and it's batshit crazy stuff like threatening young teenagers who seem different, shutting down history textbooks, and calling everything they don't like 'cancel culture' or 'wokeness.'  

Without appealing to this moronic fringe 1/3rd of the party...there are no more paths to power.  Almost everything we are gonna see out this upcoming session is basically them just 'workshopping' insane shit to that element of the TRP.  Every other session I've ever worked, I hear 80% of the time, "That's not realistic right now, it won't work politically/financially.  Even with bipartisan support."  And that's the way democracy should work.  Now, I imagine it's "You're not thinking boldly enough.  Why stop at banning books about CRT and gays?  Think broader and get back to us with a draft."  

That's possible and I hope it's truly the case, but one thing to consider: South Africa didn't actually adopt formal apartheid until 1948.  They did so in part because black South Africans had begun making more money as a result of wartime economic development, and the accompanying social and economic changes were threatening white South Africans' social status. It was when their status was threatened and in many ways at its weakest that they were their most dangerous, and in their desperation were able to enact a vicious system of apartheid that lasted for nearly 50 years and was dismantled in no small part because of global opposition to the practice.

I don't know enough about the structure of South Africa's political system prior to the adoption of apartheid to know if there are more specific parallels, but the many ways in which the GOP is systemically favored in our political system despite being an ever-shrinking minority party gives them the chance to do something similar here, even as their numbers continue to shrink relative to the rest of the American population.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Seriously though, this thread is pretty amazing. Even for them. Makes me want to go buy southern star at HEB and I can’t recall the last time I bought beer. Fuck aggy. Fuck rittenhouse. Fuck our state government.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3356045

four posts in some dipshit is posting about megan markle.

hey guys, you don't have to give a fuck about the british royal family and if you know anything at all about them, it's because you decided to learn it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Truly, we too often forget that the night shift managers at the local craft brewery are the guys on the front lines. 

Night shift is always the most important shift. Surly knows this well

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Seriously though, this thread is pretty amazing. Even for them. Makes me want to go buy southern star at HEB and I can’t recall the last time I bought beer. Fuck aggy. Fuck rittenhouse. Fuck our state government.

Fuck aggy.  God, these folks are so fucking deplorable.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Fuck aggy.  God, these folks are so fucking deplorable.

and yet...a large portion of folks on this site agree with those aggy sentiments. and don't see the problem. they poke fun and ridicule...but secretly agree. talk about hypocritical 🙄

• Hook 'Em 5

and yet...a large portion of folks on this site agree with those aggy sentiments. and don't see the problem. they poke fun and ridicule...but secretly agree. talk about hypocritical

I wouldn’t say large. There seems to be about 10 that are vocal. So there are likely another 40-50 cowards that won’t say anything. Just a guess.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Oh fuck off (OAN person), first pageants are the definition of patriarchal and a war on women. Actually, not sure I need to go much farther than that on this one.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I wouldn’t say large. There seems to be about 10 that are vocal. So there are likely another 40-50 cowards that won’t say anything. Just a guess.

It’s A LOT better now. 2015-2018 or so it was pretty rough around here. I’d say 25-30 clear assholes AND it was tolerated and allowed, considered funny actually.  It’s really close to all good or silent now. Props to the bobs for the last push this past year. Prior to that props to all of you who listened to the humanity of it. It’s really that simple. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

In Captain Obvious news:

Transgender teens receiving hormone treatment see improvements to their mental health

Transgender teenagers who receive gender-affirming hormone treatments are more comfortable with their appearance and experience fewer depression and anxiety symptoms, according to a US study. The researchers recruited 315 transgender and nonbinary people aged 12-20 receiving testosterone or estradiol, and asked them to report how they felt their appearance matched their gender identity, their overall life satisfaction and answer questions about their mental health over a period of two years. The researchers say depression and anxiety levels dropped over the study period and appearance congruence and life satisfaction improved. In an accompanying editorial, Dutch researchers say there is more we need to know about other factors influencing the mental health of transgender youth, such as the type of mental health care they are receiving and their level of social support.

Journal/conference: New England Journal of Medicine

Link to research (DOI): 10.1056/NEJMoa2206297

Organisation/s: Potocsnak Family Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine, USA

Funder: Funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But republicans are the party of dead children. That’s like one of the pillars of the party. In order to get more dead kids (suicide, school shootings, etc) they have to create laws that will produce the most dead kids.

An aborted fetus never turns into a child you can kill. 

• Like 1

Being anti abortion lets them care about people without actually doing any heavy lifting. It’s a short cut to righteousness.  Crucified savior out front shoulda told them there are no short cuts to righteousness. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Willfully Horn said:

In Captain Obvious news:

Transgender teens receiving hormone treatment see improvements to their mental health

FWIW, testosterone has anti-depressant effects. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the effects for M->F transition vs F->M.  I suspect the effect with regard to depression scores differentiates between the two based on the known effects of testosterone supplementation.  Do you have access to the full text, cause they have it behind their paywall. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I would rather dig into the actual data of the study you linked.  I understand if you didn't actually read it. 

Nope. Didn’t  read it. I’m not to the point that I mistrust peer reviewed research, nor really adept at deciphering the details of such, in this field. 

I would be surprised if the summary differs from the facts. And I am surprised the details aren’t readily available to those wanting to dispute a conclusion that jibes with human nature.

Edited by Willfully Horn

15 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Nope. Didn’t  read it. I’m not to the point that I mistrust peer reviewed research, nor really adept at deciphering the details of such, in this field. 

"Here is a link to an article in NEJM. I am not going to read it. And even I did, I probably wouldn't understand it."

Good discussion WH.  Until next time, amigo.  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

"Here is a link to an article in NEJM. I am not going to read it. And even I did, I probably wouldn't understand it."

Good discussion WH.  Until next time, amigo.  

I can understand that when one’s appearance matches one’s belief of who they are, they are happier. It’s as simple as that.

How’s your quest to blow up the numbers, parsing individuals given testosterone from individuals given estradiol, going? Surely you’d announce if your pet theory did not follow the data, right?

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling

I thought this was social media clickbait.  Nope.  SIAP.  Some are claiming they are seeking the names of people, but the memos say they aren't.  For now.

Just imagine this motherfucker doing this at the federal level.  Trump would not do this on his own, because it wouldn't occur to him, it would take Stephen Miller whispering in his ear.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2023/01/18/desantis-seeks-florida-university-information-on-trans-health-care/

DeSantis seeks Florida university information on trans health care

Questions include info on people who sought ‘sex-reassignment treatment’

Continuing to target treatment for transgender people, Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration is requiring state universities to provide information from the past five years about services they have provided to people with gender dysphoria, according to documents released Wednesday.

Chris Spencer, director of the governor’s Office of Planning and Budget, sent a memo last week requiring that universities answer a lengthy list of questions about issues including numbers of people who sought “sex-reassignment treatment,” numbers of people prescribed such things as hormones and puberty blockers and numbers of people who underwent surgical treatments such as mastectomies.

It also seeks breakdowns of the information by age. Answers are due by Feb. 10.

The memo and an accompanying document did not detail what the DeSantis administration will do with the information dating back to Jan. 1, 2018. But the administration has taken a series of steps during the past year to curb treatment for transgender people, including prohibiting Medicaid coverage for such treatments as puberty blockers, hormone therapy and gender-reassignment surgery.

The accompanying document included the list of information sought and was broadly written. It did not appear to be limited to information about services provided to students and university employees. It was not clear whether that could implicate services provided to the general public by university faculty members.

The University of Florida’s UF Health, for instance, says on its website that “UF Health is committed to improving the health and well-being of transgender and non-binary individuals in the communities we serve.”

The memo also made clear that the universities should not provide information that would identify patients.

“Please ensure all responses do not contain personally identifiable information or protected health information and are provided in an aggregated and de-identified format,” the memo said.

• Hook 'Em 1

We all know where this goes, right?  And I'm not just talking about the shaming and harm to actual gay young people.  You realize how this can be politically weaponized by all sides?  This is beyond dangerous.  It won't be me, but somebody will turn in an LGBTQ member of the family of a GOP elected official.  Out of shame, that young person will take their own life and then what?  Serious question.  That is absolutely, 100% going to happen in the next 2-4 years.  So what then?  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 1/20/2023 at 9:32 PM, Anastasis said:

FWIW, testosterone has anti-depressant effects. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the effects for M->F transition vs F->M.  I suspect the effect with regard to depression scores differentiates between the two based on the known effects of testosterone supplementation.  Do you have access to the full text, cause they have it behind their paywall. 

Trans men get left the fuck alone post transition as well while trans women get harassed, called out, ridiculed, punished, cast aside and more. If we are lucky it’s just the narrative of parts of society and not a direct personal experience, for some it’s their daily life.  So I would expect trans men  outcomes to be at least slightly better. But I can also tell you testosterone at M levels is poison to trans women. It’s oppressive actually. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Trans men get left the fuck alone post transition as well while trans women get harassed, called out, ridiculed, punished, cast aside and more.

This is certainly interesting perspective. Do you think that the dynamics are similar among adolescents. Cause I could see post transition males having a pretty rough time among cisgendered teenage male peer group. 

44 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is certainly interesting perspective. Do you think that the dynamics are similar among adolescents. Cause I could see post transition males having a pretty rough time among cisgendered teenage male peer group. 

In my experience kids are pretty much whatever about it and in the larger schools there are enough groups to belong to that a trans kid doesn’t have to be around football players or whatever. We’ve been in the same district for 12 years and bullying at school is infrequent (social media for girls may be different), kids actively police it themselves, and queer identities aren’t celebrated or sneered at, they are just part of the fabric of their lives. I’m sure jokes are made behind kids’ backs but no I’m not hearing anything like what we grew up with such as fights in the hallways, in person bullying, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Of 173 comments, 3 are considered sane. I'm convinced the comments section of instagram has the greatest amount of bots of all social media platforms. No way these are real people.

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn3JLgeNm2D/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

The comments are really sad. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Honestly, a lot of these folks are uneducated bigots who do not believe people different than them deserve to be happy and celebrated.  Social media has given these people a platform.  Unfortunately, they have always been here.

• Hook 'Em 4

Seems about 60/40 now. But you should never read the comments. It’s the cesspool of society.  

best comments - broke the student attendance record, and maybe there are lesbians on the team (ya think?) and they felt energized with school support.  Texas won and fuck OU. Substantively, those are the only four facts that really matter. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 1/21/2023 at 6:36 PM, Willfully Horn said:

How’s your quest to blow up the numbers, parsing individuals given testosterone from individuals given estradiol, going? Surely you’d announce if your pet theory did not follow the data, right?

LOL.  My quest is for honest people to dig into the data.  I am sorry that you cannot be counted among that measure. That study has numerous limitations. Maybe other posters will be capable of considering them after reading the actual report.

Blue line is F->M, orange line is M->F. But I am not sure that we can actually make any firm conclusions from these data. Regretfully, there is apparently no control for antidepressant or psychotropic use, which seems like a major limitation when examining psychosocial outcomes such as BDI scores. And wrt to controls, no attempt to formulate a control group comparison generally.  Frankly, kinda amazing that this got published in NEJM.  

image.thumb.png.aeb18dfeb73e60782ab40ffc98c95aad.png

Edited by Anastasis
Double negative.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I thought this was social media clickbait.  Nope.  SIAP.  Some are claiming they are seeking the names of people, but the memos say they aren't.  For now.

Just imagine this motherfucker doing this at the federal level.  Trump would not do this on his own, because it wouldn't occur to him, it would take Stephen Miller whispering in his ear.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2023/01/18/desantis-seeks-florida-university-information-on-trans-health-care/

Ummmm doesn't this violate the fuck out of HIPPA?

Edited by MissingInAction