LBGTQ

Mo Horn

AP: Texas passes sexual conduct bill drag show artists fear will prompt crackdown

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas would expand what is considered an illegal public performance of sexual conduct, under a bill approved late Sunday by state lawmakers that drag artists fear will be used to criminalize their shows.

The bill approved by the Republican-controlled Legislature is part of a broader effort in Texas and other conservative states to crack down on drag shows and limit LGBTQ rights. Texas earlier this month became the largest state to ban gender-affirming care for minors, and lawmakers also approved another measure that would restrict transgender athletes in college sports.

The Texas bill on sexual content in performances was initially meant to bar children from attending drag shows. It was changed to remove specific references to drag shows, but it also broadened the scope of what would be illegal.

The bill would ban real or simulated groping, real or simulated arousal and display of a sex toy, if done in a “prurient” manner in front of a minor or on public property. And it includes a definition of sexual conduct that bars wearing accessories or prosthetics that enhance the female or male form in front of a minor or on public property.

Violators could face up to a year in jail, and businesses hosting performances deemed illegal could be fined $10,000 for each violation.

Some drag performers and LGBTQ activists call the new restrictions too vague and worry they will be unevenly targeted. Supporters of the bill say it’s needed to protect children from seeing sexually explicit content, although some critics worry the vague nature of the potential violations could ensnare suggestive performances at rock concerts, by professional sports cheerleading squads or even behavior in private homes.

The bill now goes to Republican Gov. Abbott, who is expected to sign it into law.

Oh look, more fascism and results that republican voters voted for. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lauren Witzke, apparently running for some senate seat, seems great. About 5 miles right if Ted Cruz is apparently a thing that exists. 

The same Lauren Witzke who ran her hateful mouth and is being sued by a Texas couple, new fathers of surrogate twins? I hope they win, in court, enough to fund their children’s education.

Couple sues Lauren Witzke for saying birth of their surrogate twins is 'human trafficking'

A Texas couple is suing Delaware right-wing activist Lauren Witzke after she accused the two men of human trafficking and pedophilia in response to the men posting about the birth of their surrogate twins on social media.

Experts say the lawsuit's filing can be seen as a cautionary reminder of limits people have when trolling online, even when it involves social media influencers such as Eric Vaughn — the owner of a Houston hair salon who happens to have nearly half a million TikTok followers.

If you tell a vicious lie about someone, as Lauren Witzke has done in the case of Eric Vaughn, the person can sue you for defamation," said Juliet Dee, a University of Delaware associate professor of communication, who focuses on First Amendment law. "If one avoids telling vicious lies about someone whom one has never even met, one will not be a defendant in a defamation suit."

Witzke, who ran for U.S. Senate and lost to Chris Coons in 2020, said she will defend efforts to quash speech criticizing the LGBTQ community.

There’s more. She is counter-suing. 

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2023/03/27/lauren-witzke-sued-defamation-parents-surrogate-twins-human-trafficking/70037086007/

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

What is “PRITH?”

Apparently the name of the Demon that lives in gay people's underpants.  

Also, how does she propose they "take back the rainbow."  From who, Leprechauns?   I mean, anti-LGBTQ people know that rainbows aren't like tangible?  It's light refraction, it's how colors visible to our eyes exist.  I'm gonna start drinking beer again just so I can order Bud Light and enrage stupid people.  Fuck, I hated that beer though.. 

I didn't know this about Bob Hope 

Huh. I interviewed Bob Hope in the 5th grade.

He came to Tallahassee to perform a stand up show for FSU’s homecoming week.

Three of us were “studying” journalism in our gifted program that was run by FSU.

Our elementary school was named Sealey, so we gave him a school sweatshirt. It was ginormous. He asked if we also made mattresses.

We didn’t get the joke.

His positions on gay rights and guns didn’t come up in the interview but he’s the only big celebrity I have a cool story about.

I wore a navy blazer and maroon culottes lol. Very Barbara Walters.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I hope your elementary school stage had soft lighting and you got to say something like, "Mr. Hope...tell us about the dark years..."

(that's a legit cool story though, he was larger than life for quite awhile)  

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lauren Witzke, apparently running for some senate seat, seems great. About 5 miles right if Ted Cruz is apparently a thing that exists. 

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Apparently the name of the Demon that lives in gay people's underpants.  

Also, how does she propose they "take back the rainbow."  From who, Leprechauns?   I mean, anti-LGBTQ people know that rainbows aren't like tangible?  It's light refraction, it's how colors visible to our eyes exist.  I'm gonna start drinking beer again just so I can order Bud Light and enrage stupid people.  Fuck, I hated that beer though.. 

I hope she shuts down the Targets - that'll make suburban moms happy.

And I hope she tries to reclaim the rainbow by wearing rainbow stuff.  It'll go over well when one of the MAGA idiots spots her doing it.

43 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Why is it always semen with these guys?

image.png.b6effaa646836963399db0fbc8fee89f.png

You know why.

Also, it's sad to keep seeing Fat Joey Mannarino making the rounds on all the various threads here with his hatred. Although I do enjoy how he photoshopped his own twitter bio pic. THat or it's from 15 years ago.

I also enjoyed this tweet:

"Desperate." Says the guy unironically who's actually shopping at a Burlington Coat Factory. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

These people really are too stupid to understand that businesses have DEI initiatives to protect themselves from liability for discrimination claims. 

Why are you asking silly questions

• Hook 'Em 1

In junior high, we went on a class trip to Washington DC.  While we were at the Arlington National Cemetery, Hope pulled up with his wife in a limo and go out to use a payphone.  He interacted with all of us as if he had all the time in the world, then jumped back in his limo and took off.  That's my CSB about Bob Hope.

I also once saw Tiny Tim at the DFW airport.  I had no idea who that was, but my dad thought it was funny.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm starting an internet rumor that Chick-Fil-A is closed on the Sabbath, because after a long night of grooming and drag shows on Saturday night, there's nothing left to use on Sundays.  I think I could probably have a boycott, maybe even a riot, by next week.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The Right is about to run into the problem that the Left sometimes does of when you try to cancel everyone for the smallest perceived slight, you're eventually going to have no one worth a damn that can pass your purity test.

I chuckled earlier when bigots on Twitter were up in arms because a man at Disneyland was working at the Princess beauty shop and wearing the same outfit all the Fairy Godmothers do there. None of the guests seemed to have any issue with this cast member who was trying to make their little boys and girls feel welcomed and happy. If it means Disneyland is less crowded because the bigots all stay home and punch their LGBTQ+ pillows in anger then that's a great thing. Stay in your f'ing bubble and keep screaming into the void about the world that will keep changing around you. 

I don't want to link to any of the bigots but if you want to chuckle as well then just do a search for Disneyland on there. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

I shouldn't be, but I am genuinely surprised that they're going back to this well.  Generic "gay pride" hatred is a well-documented losing battle for the right. 

It seemed that they were making a concerted effort to keep their focus on transgender issues (not that I necessarily think that is any more of a "winning" message, but it was at least seemingly strategic) for a while, but now they've slipped back into boycotting anything with a rainbow and  "ALL GAYS ARE PEDOS."   The normal public moved on from that shit like a decade ago, these culture warriors have no idea what they are doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I shouldn't be, but I am genuinely surprised that they're going back to this well.  Generic "gay pride" hatred is a well-documented losing battle for the right. 

It seemed that they were making a concerted effort to keep their focus on transgender issues (not that I necessarily think that is any more of a "winning" message, but it was at least seemingly strategic) for a while, but now they've slipped back into boycotting anything with a rainbow and  "ALL GAYS ARE PEDOS."   The normal public moved on from that shit like a decade ago, these culture warriors have no idea what they are doing.

Just wait til they start advocating for slavery again.  Though that will be after getting rid of women’s rights. I’m sure there are other things as well. Regression is the goal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We need Apple to come out with a trans ad so these morons chunk their phones into the trash and we don't have to see their tweets anymore.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/05/apple-watch-pride-edition-celebrates-the-lgbtq-community/

Celebrating the ongoing movement to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities around the world, Apple is introducing a new Pride Edition Sport Band accompanied by a matching watch face and iOS wallpaper.

Through these efforts, Apple supports and brings awareness to LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations that are working to bring about positive change, including Equality Federation Institute, an advocacy accelerator that is building a network of state-based LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations in the U.S., and GLSEN, an education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. Additional advocacy organizations Apple supports include Encircle, Equality North Carolina, Equality Texas, Gender Spectrum, Human Rights Campaign, ILGA World, the National Center for Transgender Equality, PFLAG, SMYAL, and The Trevor Project. 

Their outrage does seem selective

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just wait til they start advocating for slavery again.  Though that will be after getting rid of women’s rights. I’m sure there are other things as well. Regression is the goal. 

This guy wouldn't have a problem with it.