LBGTQ

Mo Horn

I had the honor of officiating my first queer af wedding just two nights ago. Felt good.

My wife has been officiating same-sex weddings since before the state recognized them. And this was the deal that she and her colleagues offered at the time: we will perform and celebrate your wedding now, with pleasure. And once same sex marriage is legalized, we’ll marry you again in a legal ceremony, no charge.
She’s married quite a few such couples. And then did a fair number of second ceremonies. Since legalization, they regularly marry same sex couples.

And you know what those ceremonies are? They’re weddings. With love, and tears, and dancing, and bbq, and shitty dry cake (there are only 2-3 design cake bakers in this town worth a shit).
And not one of them has diminished my marriage in any way. Amazing, that.

The entire GQP approach to the LGBTQ community is cruel fascism because they are weak, cowardly, craven, evil pieces of dick. This is now a uniform and universal element of the GQP - every one of them stands in support of such policies. At the very least, they happily acquiesce to them. If you vote for a GQP candidate for office, ANY office, you support this, and are thus a weak, cowardly, craven, evil piece of dick yourself.
  • Hook 'Em 7

44 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do not understand the hate for LGBTQ+.  I mean, people need to mind their own fucking business.  It is just mind blowing to me.

I would expect your lesbo ass to say something crass like that!  

Here's what the fucked up MAGA/hardcore religious right will never understand.  It's like when Henry Hill tries to explain what Paulie was for the Mafia that law enforcement would never understand.  It's that most of us don't really like or applaud gay/lesbian/trans/queer sex.  We also don't really advocate for straight sex either.  It's that we just don't give a shit.  I have friends and family who are LGBTQ+, but I like & love them because of who they are.  That they also have this "different" sexual or gender lifestyle isn't the point.  I care about them because we're connected somehow.  I wouldn't wanna watch them make out with somebody of the same sex anymore than I wanna watch one of my family members going through foreplay with a significant other.  Two dudes blowing each other is fucking gross to me but luckily they don't do it in my living room (anymore).  Two old straight people fucking is gross to me.  Two midgets going at it is probably gonna be gross to me (my membership expired to that site).  So here's what I do...I don't give a shit. 

If we're friends, if we're colleagues, if we're blood...then that's what matters.  If you are pursuing connection and love as a human being with a consenting adult, who gives a fucking rat's ass?  I admit this here and now, I don't celebrate gay sex, you'll never see me at a pride parade, and some trans stuff still confuses me...but I will advocate the hell out of their right to be treated like fucking human beings with all the rights and protections the rest of us have.  We're stuck on a fucking rock hurtling through space at 20,000mph with no idea why we're here or what happens when it's over...if your heart tells you to hold the hand of another person that society says isn't "your type" and find connection and fulfillment...do it.  We're running outta time.  All that guy suffering up on that cross ever really emphasized was "...and the strongest of these is love."  I don't recall the part where he said, "Oh yeah, that stuff my dad said about gays...that was totally the most important part of these frequently mistranslated book in a language you can't pronounce." 

We're all assholes.  But even assholes help protect the mistreated.  That's actually the highest calling of our skillset.    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I would expect your lesbo ass to say something crass like that!  

Here's what the fucked up MAGA/hardcore religious right will never understand.  It's like when Henry Hill tries to explain what Paulie was for the Mafia that law enforcement would never understand.  It's that most of us don't really like or applaud gay/lesbian/trans/queer sex.  We also don't really advocate for straight sex either.  It's that we just don't give a shit.  I have friends and family who are LGBTQ+, but I like & love them because of who they are.  That they also have this "different" sexual or gender lifestyle isn't the point.  I care about them because we're connected somehow.  I wouldn't wanna watch them make out with somebody of the same sex anymore than I wanna watch one of my family members going through foreplay with a significant other.  Two dudes blowing each other is fucking gross to me but luckily they don't do it in my living room (anymore).  Two old straight people fucking is gross to me.  Two midgets going at it is probably gonna be gross to me (my membership expired to that site).  So here's what I do...I don't give a shit. 

If we're friends, if we're colleagues, if we're blood...then that's what matters.  If you are pursuing connection and love as a human being with a consenting adult, who gives a fucking rat's ass?  I admit this here and now, I don't celebrate gay sex, you'll never see me at a pride parade, and some trans stuff still confuses me...but I will advocate the hell out of their right to be treated like fucking human beings with all the rights and protections the rest of us have.  We're stuck on a fucking rock hurtling through space at 20,000mph with no idea why we're here or what happens when it's over...if your heart tells you to hold the hand of another person that society says isn't "your type" and find connection and fulfillment...do it.  We're running outta time.  All that guy suffering up on that cross ever really emphasized was "...and the strongest of these is love."  I don't recall the part where he said, "Oh yeah, that stuff my dad said about gays...that was totally the most important part of these frequently mistranslated book in a language you can't pronounce." 

We're all assholes.  But even assholes help protect the mistreated.  That's actually the highest calling of our skillset.    

That is my point.  If I do not like you, it is because of something that you can help, like being a Sooner, being a Yankee fan, being a shitty human being who delights in their own stupidity, being someone who hates dogs, or being someone who continutes to vote Republican.  Who you love, the color of your skin, your sex or gender, where you were born, etc... those are all out of your control.  If you are a decent human being, and your actions do not negatively impact me or mine, we are good to go.  I do not understand why more people are not like that.  No, they would rather inflict their belief's and stupidity on others and eradicate those who are different.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 6

We all know why they do it.  Because treating people who you think are "different" makes insecure people feel better.  That's human nature.  Where it gets tricky, dicey, and downright violently dangerous is they know it's wrong to mistreat people based on how they were born, and they hate themselves for doing it, so they turn that hatred into a closed-loop cycle of vitriolic bile. 

Worry about people who hate other people they don't know.  But be downright fearful of people who hate themselves.  

There are monsters inside all of us.  And this whole shitshow we call society is dependent on us suppressing our worst basic wiring.  And every once in awhile, somebody taps into that animal hatred, and a certain portion of humanity gets to act out on it.  And sad to say, we're just fucking due to for another tantrum from these hate-filled mongers.  Were it up to me, I'd have 'em on trains to summer camp but most Americans, of all political stripes, don't have the fucking stomach for it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:31 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do not understand the hate for LGBTQ+.  I mean, people need to mind their own fucking business.  It is just mind blowing to me.

Same, but I don't live in a world where I want everyone around me to look like me, act like me or share all of my same beliefs. It's hard to me to fathom those that do want that. I love queer culture. The most fun my wife and I have ever had at a bar was at a Dolly Parton singalong drag show. We still talk about it all the time. We live in what has historically been a queer neighborhood. 

One of my closest friends, someone I grew up with from the age of 8, took his own life over 15 years ago. He had come out several years before that which was unnecessary for all of us that knew and loved him since most of us knew he was gay but would never force him out of the closet. He was accepted and loved fully by his friends and family. He didn't suffer any of the trauma of coming out that many people face, but he still struggled with living life as an out gay man. I talked to him on the phone the night before he died. He sounded happy and was with some mutual friends at a party. The next day he was found dead. I had no idea that was the last time I would ever speak to him. I think of my dear friend and all of the crazy, stupid shit we did growing up almost every single day. And a bunch of assholes that vote and represent us think this is totally okay. It's disgusting and if you feel different, you are not my friend. Worse, you are my enemy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:27 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

FIFY

Women...they love me and so do the gays. I mean you gotta protect your family from the gays, but I love them and I love women too. Look at my beautiful wife, Melania, I mean who wouldn't love her? Men would love to be with my wife. But golf? Melania can't play golf well, most women and gays are not good at sports. They love that I am such a good golfer. None of them can play golf like I can. I'm a great golfer and I hit the ball real far. You have to be strong and fit like I am to be a golfer...I had this one gay friend, I don't know if he was actually gay or a he or a she but he came up to me with tears in his eyes. "Sir, sir," he said, "How do you hit the ball from the men's tee so far?" I mean, I wouldn't share lunch and have a burger at Doral with this guy, but he knew I am a great golfer. They love me.

7gc8lk.jpg

• Rage+1 2

On 3/25/2023 at 10:18 AM, Brisketexan said:

My wife has been officiating same-sex weddings since before the state recognized them. And this was the deal that she and her colleagues offered at the time: we will perform and celebrate your wedding now, with pleasure. And once same sex marriage is legalized, we’ll marry you again in a legal ceremony, no charge.
She’s married quite a few such couples. And then did a fair number of second ceremonies. Since legalization, they regularly marry same sex couples.

And you know what those ceremonies are? They’re weddings. With love, and tears, and dancing, and bbq, and shitty dry cake (there are only 2-3 design cake bakers in this town worth a shit).
And not one of them has diminished my marriage in any way. Amazing, that.

The entire GQP approach to the LGBTQ community is cruel fascism because they are weak, cowardly, craven, evil pieces of dick. This is now a uniform and universal element of the GQP - every one of them stands in support of such policies. At the very least, they happily acquiesce to them. If you vote for a GQP candidate for office, ANY office, you support this, and are thus a weak, cowardly, craven, evil piece of dick yourself.

we want her to do ours too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Pride is an interesting term. I wouldn’t say I’m proud to be trans, I would say on days that I don’t feel the external pressure from the politicians that I’m content and thankful and on those days I wouldn’t trade my experience. I do enjoy having experienced both sides of the gender continuum with success, and I know I made the right decision with a conviction that really scoffs at the idea that it was even a decision to begin with, which is really to say the moment access and the opportunity to succeed presented itself I would leap into the gauntlet of transition, which I did. I say all of that to describe my expression of PRIDE as a trans woman.

that said, this project of the history of trans people in photography from 1893-1973 gives me the simple form of PRIDE, heart swelling, smiling and that inner voice … “see!! We have been here forever and we are normal, strong and amazing!!”

check it out, it’s worth the read if you really want to know more about our existence, our fight, road blocks we face, and the repetitive history of trying to erase us. We will not go away.

https://elierlick.com/color.html

Using recent breakthroughs in photo editing techniques, Eli colorizes, restores, and digitizes photos from queer and trans history. The following images are originally from 1897-1973. After noticing how much more responsive audiences are to color photos, Eli decided to work on these amazing moments from queer and trans history. During a time when politicians can openly argue trans people did not exist until 2015, it is important to use reminders like these that we have always been here.

7AE442A5-8905-4BF3-8225-1195F8CE3A6D.jpeg

6859693A-9E4E-4434-A894-A40215AEB07F.jpeg
btw Jacqueline Dufresnoy is hot and I will fight all of you if you get in my way. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Whenever I hear some bigmouth in Washington or the Christian heartland banging on about the evils of sodomy or whatever, I mentally enter his name in my notebook and contentedly set my watch. Sooner rather than later, he will be discovered down on his weary and well-worn knees in some dreary motel or latrine, with an expired Visa card, having tried to pay well over the odds to be peed upon by some Apache transvestite.”

---- Christopher Hitchens

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sure, that one, too.  Plenty others.  But when he turned all that bully charm to support of the Iraq invasion, his appearance was not so charming.  One thing, but a big thing.  

I am a fan of Martin Amis’ writing, and his love of Hitchens as a brother has helped me process Hitchens with a bit of forgiveness.  He was just wrong, not a bad person. 

So @cactusflinthead shared this Parts Unknown video from Bourdain's trip to Russia during the 2014 Sochi Olympics right before the Crimean invasion. One thing that's really stood out is just how many direct parallels there are between current republican culture war talking points and what russia's social stance is across a variety of issues. In particular, LGBT issues. Right down to brand-new legislation against "promoting homosexual propoganda to minors". The video below is timestamped to the segment in St. Petersburg about LGBT issues and protesters.

It's just fucking shocking to see some of the same rhetoric and tactics being imported from St. Petersburg into the deep south

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So @cactusflinthead shared this Parts Unknown video from Bourdain's trip to Russia during the 2014 Sochi Olympics right before the Crimean invasion. One thing that's really stood out is just how many direct parallels there are between current republican culture war talking points and what russia's social stance is across a variety of issues. In particular, LGBT issues. Right down to brand-new legislation against "promoting homosexual propoganda to minors". The video below is timestamped to the segment in St. Petersburg about LGBT issues and protesters.

It's just fucking shocking to see some of the same rhetoric and tactics being imported from St. Petersburg into the deep south

high quality GIF

On 2/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, Poe It Up said:

Speaking of posters that aren’t here anymore, what happened to that jimmyjames guy? I kinda miss reading all of his hyper-paranoid posts. 

Not to worry. You’ll see me again eventually. Just got tired of arguing with internet trolls like Annie. No point to it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Captainant said:

Parts Unknown might be the best travel show one of the best shows of all time. The world is a worse place without Anthony Bourdain. It's hard to overstate his impact on the world when it comes to using storytelling and experiences to highlight communities and peoples most people wouldn't give a second thought. All he ever did was try to use his power and fame to let otherwise marginalized people tell their stories to the world, with empathy and understanding rather than judgment. We could all learn a few things from people like that.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bari Weiss' anti-trans propaganda rag has stepped in it again. After publishing what purported to be serious reporting about how a parent was pressured by the St. Louis clinic to agree to allow the clinic to treat her child, uh, this happened:

Everyone should click through and read the whole thread, because it's too long to paste it all, but the extremely obvious conclusion is holy shit did they misrepresent the situation. And then things got worse:

Also note the tell about how she contacted "an attorney," who I suspect is the same attorney who is representing the "whistleblower" and likely encouraged her client to commit federal crimes. Also, a fun little tidbit in all of this is that they gave a draft of their entire "story" to the mom to review before it was published, and though it isn't 100% clear, it doesn't look like they attempted to speak with her child or her child's father, and that they only spoke with the child after the child contacted them. That's multiple different forms of journalistic malpractice that would get a reporter fired immediately from any serious publication.  Bari Weiss' blog isn't anything resembling journalism, it's a PR front for an anti-trans legal movement.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

48 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Bari Weiss' anti-trans propaganda rag has stepped in it again. After publishing what purported to be serious reporting about how a parent was pressured by the St. Louis clinic to agree to allow the clinic to treat her child, uh, this happened:

Everyone should click through and read the whole thread, because it's too long to paste it all, but the extremely obvious conclusion is holy shit did they misrepresent the situation. And then things got worse:

Also note the tell about how she contacted "an attorney," who I suspect is the same attorney who is representing the "whistleblower" and likely encouraged her client to commit federal crimes. Also, a fun little tidbit in all of this is that they gave a draft of their entire "story" to the mom to review before it was published, and though it isn't 100% clear, it doesn't look like they attempted to speak with her child or her child's father, and that they only spoke with the child after the child contacted them. That's multiple different forms of journalistic malpractice that would get a reporter fired immediately from any serious publication.  Bari Weiss' blog isn't anything resembling journalism, it's a PR front for an anti-trans legal movement.

JFC this mom still has the story as her pinned tweet too. What a hateful, awful mother. She's STILL playing an aggrieved victim, when her grievance is that she isn't allowed to dictate her daughter's life to her

Edited by Captainant

Right, the “lemme dominate sports” reason for transition.  Again.  Well, one would have to be a sort of dumbass to find this logic motivational.   Let’s check the comparative dumbass fractions of a couple of populations:  LGBTQ+ vs MAGA.  Hmm.  Way different.

Basically, this is the only reason that these people can conjure with their pea brains and decomposed souls.  Another pathetic projection:  wish I could do this.  Wah.  Not fair.

There does exist in this plane of creation, the possibility that somebody could say, "There's a guaranteed scholarship spot at tiny Division II xyz college from our high school girls' swim program, and I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna let Lobo's daughter have that spot...so I'm gonna undergo extreme gender conversion and beat her up and down the pool and get that scholarship spot so help me God!"  In which case, I'd call out the kid, slap his mother, and beat the fuck out of his dad on the pool deck.  I think that's justified, sorry.  But on the off chance that such a 1 in 10 billion event does not occur, it's a completely worthless talking point and obviously intended to stir up fervor among stupid people.  

I mean, I think here amongst us pro-homos, we all remember that famous baseball player who gave up millions of dollars to make $300 in fast pitch women's league after life-altering surgery at the behest of the coach played by Tom Hanks, co-starring Gina Davis.  

Jesus Fucking Christ, it's Holy Week and we gotta entertain this idiotic, no-odds bullshit?  I know they're not good at maths, but they're not even good at anecdotal evidence either.  And that was like their thing for awhile.  

Do we make anything in this country anymore besides stupidity and porn?  

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

actually, MAGA nation is boycotting NASCAR because they keep veering to the Left and all the cars have to be the same---SOCIALISM! 

Didn’t a black guy win a race recently? Pretty sure that did it for many of them, letting “those people” into their stadiums.