LBGTQ

Mo Horn

55 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

It boils down to the fatty platform. Just like I do truly believe he doesn't want kids to get killed in school, he wants his guns and boat more than dead kid reduction.

I do believe that a significant number of Republicans would prefer to cool it on the grooming bullshit, but not at the expense of guns and boats. And since their vote is taken care of, the truly hateful are the drivers of the Republican bus. None of the passengers care enough to take over the wheel because it's still getting them to the gun and boat store, even if they run over a few gays and kids on the way.

country club republicans believe they aren't a part of it either, even those that are socially liberal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Every now and again I think of something Matt Dowd once told me.  You will hear Republicans tell you they are either socially liberal and fiscally conservative or socially conservative and fiscally conservative.  None will ever tell you they are socially conservative and fiscally liberal.  But that’s how almost all of them vote.  It’s just not popular to admit it at cocktail parties.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Here is another despicable human who doesn’t give a fuck. I have no words to describe the contempt I feel for this person

But what she's actually saying is "I'd prefer a shit ton of kids kill themselves if it keeps my daughter from transitioning."  Let's be honest here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

this culture war is not that much different than the early 90's AIDS/local ERO battles over gay rights.  codifying gay rights took a lot longer and is frankly still not done.  but the vitrol and the hate is very similar.  the only good news here is I think when this battle is won, and it will be, but not before it gets much, much worse, it will be won with something like the passing of the Federal Equality Act. 

Shown Here:
Passed House (02/25/2021)

Equality Act

This bill prohibits discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity in areas including public accommodations and facilities, education, federal funding, employment, housing, credit, and the jury system. Specifically, the bill defines and includes sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation.

The bill expands the definition of public accommodations to include places or establishments that provide (1) exhibitions, recreation, exercise, amusement, gatherings, or displays; (2) goods, services, or programs; and (3) transportation services.

The bill allows the Department of Justice to intervene in equal protection actions in federal court on account of sexual orientation or gender identity.

The bill prohibits an individual from being denied access to a shared facility, including a restroom, a locker room, and a dressing room, that is in accordance with the individual's gender identity.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5

https://www.hrc.org/resources/equality

• Hook 'Em 4

Nebraska Rs to investigate a state senator, who voted against an anti-trans bill, for ethics violations. The senator has a trans child, so they claim she would personally benefit from the bill’s failure. The hypocrisy is mind numbing.

A Nebraska state senator who has a transgender child is being investigated for a potential conflict of interest after she voted against a bill that would ban gender-affirming health care for minors.

The complaint, filed Wednesday by Omaha lawyer David Begley, alleges Nebraska Democratic Sen. Megan Hunt could benefit financially from the failure of Legislative Bill 574, a measure that would bar health care providers from administering gender-affirming medical care to transgender patients younger than 19.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3976112-state-lawmaker-who-has-trans-child-and-voted-against-anti-trans-legislation-faces-ethics-investigation/

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Nebraska Rs to investigate a state senator, who voted against an anti-trans bill, for ethics violations. The senator has a trans child, so they claim she would personally benefit from the bill’s failure. The hypocrisy is mind numbing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3976112-state-lawmaker-who-has-trans-child-and-voted-against-anti-trans-legislation-faces-ethics-investigation/

Investigate every Republican who voted for a tax cut. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

These Kancel Kulture Karens who are getting books banned, field trips squashed etc. know very fucking well that they could just opt their kid out from the "offensive" event or text, and issue solved. 

But as always, it's about control with these freaks. Gotta decide it for every family because they're addicted to moral outrage and superiority. And I feel like we're just kinda letting them do it. Or maybe there are no sane people willing to speak up in places like Spring Branch....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

yeah i'm pretty sure everybody posting in this thread with the ability to think critically was calling bullshit and cautioning against taking that 'whistleblower' story as absolute truth. which obviously left some posters out lol.

Dwyane Wade, who has a trans daughter, said he left Florida because his family “would not be accepted there.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/dwyane-wade-trans-daughter-says-003851035.html

Dwyane Wade, the Miami Heat's all-time leading scorer, no longer lives in Florida and it's partially because of the state's political climate.

The future Hall of Famer, who has a 15-year-old transgender daughter, made the revelation during an interview with Rachel Nichols on this week's episode of Showtime's "Headliners," a clip of which was released to People on Wednesday.

Asked about Florida politicians who have cheered him while pushing for anti-LGBTQ+ legislation, Wade said one of the reasons he left the state because of how his family felt living there.

The full exchange:

Nichols: "What do you have to say to some of those state legislators who maybe have your jersey in their closets, who came and brought their kids to your games to cheer for you?"

Wade: "That's another reason why I don't live in that state. A lot of people don't know that. I have to make decisions for my family, not just personal, individual decisions.

"I mean, obviously, the tax [situation] is great. Having Wade County is great. But my family would not be accepted or feel comfortable there. And so that's one of the reasons why I don't live there."

Wade, who was drafted by the Heat in 2004, sold his Miami Beach mansion in 2021 after moving to the Hidden Hills community of Los Angeles County. He retired in 2019 and has since become a minority owner of the Utah Jazz.

Wade's daughter came out as trans in 2020 and has spoken publicly about the backlash she has received. Her father and stepmother, Gabrielle Union, have openly supported her, though her mother tried to legally block her formal transition.

In recent years, Florida has become a national leader in restricting the rights of the LGBTQ+ community. Last month, a law went into effect that bans gender-affirming care for most trans minors in the state, with the exception of minors already receiving the care, and threatens to remove the medical license of doctors who provide such care. The state has also passed and expanded its "Don't Say Gay" law, which, among other things, forbids schools from requiring teachers or students from using a person's preferred pronouns if they differ from that person's sex at birth.

Even more restrictive laws could be on the way, as the Florida House passed three such bills last week, including one that criminalizes using a bathroom that doesn't match the gender of one's birth certificate.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's worth combing through both the OP's and Chapman's threads as replies cite several other instances of trans characters on old TV shows like 'Night Court', 'WKRP', and 'The Jeffersons.' The obvious point is that the current climate around the topic where the right is freaking out over "wokeness" is a deliberate and completely manufactured political campaign.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Rowling is TERF scum, and it's fucking embarrassing how many people of my generation are so attached to her poorly written and pretty racist series of books that they feel obligated to defend the series' piece of shit creator.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's worth combing through both the OP's and Chapman's threads as replies cite several other instances of trans characters on old TV shows like 'Night Court', 'WKRP', and 'The Jeffersons.' The obvious point is that the current climate around the topic where the right is freaking out over "wokeness" is a deliberate and completely manufactured political campaign.

There’s a whole show on LGBTQ representation in TV and even All in the Family had the trans debate - Edith the shows moral compass brought it home. Archie played the role of Desantis obviously. 

• Like 1

There’s a whole show on LGBTQ representation in TV and even All in the Family had the trans debate - Edith the shows moral compass brought it home. Archie played the role of Desantis obviously. 
The first time I heard the word lesbian was in the 80s on The Golden Girls. For 20+ years my wife has turned that show on as we're going to sleep. I can honestly say, that show was woke as fuck.

Lesbians, gay politicians, cross-dressers, interracial marriage, Blanche the Slut... I don't recall there being a transgender character, but there were definitely queer characters. It's crazy to think how DeSantis would react to The Golden Girls today.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah but we're not that far from Ellen coming out as gay being a thing that might've ended her career. It's simply amazing that we're right back in that time frame again, typically started by assholes who grew up in the 80s and 90s when it was acceptable to bash people who were different. I hate that the idea of not being an asshole to those who may have been born differently than you is now this hideous thing called "woke" that must be deleted fully. We are big Disney fans who go to Orlando with decent regularity. We've gone to Rosemary Beach and wanted to go back to the Destin area. We've been to Universal Orlando before. But I'll be damned if I'm rewarding that state with any of my money. We'll opt for California and Disneyland instead. We just got back from Universal Hollywood and would be interested in going back to UO but I not giving that governor and his supporter any revenues from our hotel, airport, car rental, and sales tax.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

There ought be a Church of God, the Transgendered. Obviously, trans folks don’t see their gender identity as a religious issue, and I am not suggesting they should. Still, such a church should create religious protections, as recognized by this wingnut SCOTUS.

Not trying to offend, I guess I ought to say. But, I would respect a church that focuses on an obvious truth, that creation is, shall I say, fluid, with respect to gender, infinity more than the heretical prosperity gospel.

Edited by Willfully Horn

7 hours ago, troph said:

Archie was more humane than DeSantis. He actually showed remorse when Beverly LaSalle was murdered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

There ought be a Church of God, the Transgendered. Obviously, trans folks don’t see their gender identity as a religious issue, and I am not suggesting they should. Still, such a church should create religious protections, as recognized by this wingnut SCOTUS.

Not trying to offend, I guess I ought to say. But, I would respect a church that focuses on an obvious truth, that creation is, shall I say, fluid, with respect to gender, infinity more than the heretical prosperity gospel.

Quick nit:  transgender folk aren’t transgendered any more than white folk are whited.

to the substance, in many religious cultures we would be revered as religious leaders simply because we are trans.  And if - under the Christian faith - we are made in God’s image and in God there is both male and female, then it kinda follows that we trans folk are more like God than you cisgender folk are. Chew on that.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, troph said:

transgender folk aren’t transgendered any more than white folk are whited.

I suppose we are in a sense “whited,” having evolved in northern latitudes from our darker skinned African ancestors. We didn’t need the extra melanin in our skin to protect us from the harsh sun so there was no selective pressure to transmit it from one generation to the next. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I suppose we are in a sense “whited,” having evolved in northern latitudes from our darker skinned African ancestors. We didn’t need the extra melanin in our skin to protect us from the harsh sun so there was no selective pressure to transmit it from one generation to the next. 

yeah no. trust me.

TERM TO AVOID: 
"transgendered"

The adjective transgender should never have an extraneous "-ed" tacked onto the end. An "-ed" suffix adds unnecessary length to the word and can cause tense confusion and grammatical errors. Not using the "-ed" suffix also brings transgender into alignment with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer. You would not say that Elton John is "gayed" or Ellen DeGeneres is "lesbianed," therefore you would not say Laverne Cox is "transgendered." (Similarly, cisgender never needs an "-ed" at the end.)

also:

TERM TO AVOID: 
"transgenders," "a transgender"

Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, "Tony is a transgender," or "The parade included many transgenders." Do not write "transwoman" or "transman." Do not capitalize transgender, unless it begins a sentence or is part of a name (e.g., National Center for Transgender Equality).

https://www.glaad.org/reference/trans-terms

Edited by troph

19 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah no. trust me.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but about the nouns. Would it be acceptable if indelicate to say "Tony is a Trans Man," or is it just "Tony is trans?"  Also, is there a plural noun or is that whole construction of "the parade included many ________s" to be avoided?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but about the nouns. Would it be acceptable if indelicate to say "Tony is a Trans Man," or is it just "Tony is trans?"  Also, is there a plural noun or is that whole construction of "the parade included many ________s" to be avoided?

first - I'm not a huge grammar police generally, but when groups are marginalized, grammar is often used as a weapon against those people so it's why there are rules and why some are so stringent about following them.  I personally want health care, codified anti-discrim statutes applicable in all 50 states and the federal government that covers insurance, housing, employment, marriage, public accomodations, etc. and at that point I'm Bill Bradley style - it don't make a shit - re most nits/nats in grammar style. Sadly, that's not where we are, so for many (and to an extent me) grammar matters.

so with that...

++++++++

incorrect: transgenders

Correct: trans people / transgender people

I guess technically you can say whites, blacks and transgenders, but transgender has been determined to be an adjective that cannot be converted to a noun unlike white people, whites, black people, blacks.  the incongruity is noted but that's how it goes. even based on discrimination there remains incongruity blacks and transgenders - one is ok, the other is not, both are groups of people that have suffered immense discrimination, and even more historically for blacks, yet here we are.

++++++++

incorrect: transgendered (i.e. she is transgendered)

correct: she is trans, or she is transgender

this one does not lack congruence with respect to other groups of people. no one is blacked or whited.

++++++++

incorrect: transman or transwoman

correct: trans man or trans woman, or transgender man and woman.

no one is a whiteman and no one is a blackman, well there are people with surnames Whiteman and Blackman that's true.

to your specific question, Tony is not a Trans Man he is a trans man, or a transgender man, or just a dude.  you don't capitalize Tony the Trans Man unless he's a super action hero and Trans Man is part of his title.

++++++++

it goes on and on and I don't have the mental energy for much more than those three.

special note on slurs - they fucking suck, I hate them, and they are signals of significant discrimination and physical harm.  Now, I do call myself a "tranny" and a "homo, fag or queer" often. I do so to inoculate from being hurt by slurs and make a point when talking about these political issues. but they are terribly hurtful.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

the other reason I don't like to always harp on grammar is that it takes away from the substance.  everyone wants to talk grammar and I just threw down I was god like and it got nothing.  fuck grammar, I'm a god. 

sexy megan fox GIF

To Troph's last point, just reinforcing (again) that it's not cool for allies to use the slurs, even in an ironic way or to illustrate a point. T-word, t-slur, t***** are all fine, but just because you support the cause doesn't mean your usage of the slur isn't any less hurtful in those contexts. 

On 4/28/2023 at 1:10 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

These Kancel Kulture Karens who are getting books banned, field trips squashed etc. know very fucking well that they could just opt their kid out from the "offensive" event or text, and issue solved. 

But as always, it's about control with these freaks. Gotta decide it for every family because they're addicted to moral outrage and superiority. And I feel like we're just kinda letting them do it. Or maybe there are no sane people willing to speak up in places like Spring Branch....

https://comb.io/rggHn2

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I know what you’re saying. And I know what I was saying wasn’t analogous because it was about humanity as a species and not about individuals. But it is true that whiteness is a more recent differentiation in our pigmentation. So in a sense some of us were “whited.” Or “unblacked,” if you prefer. I was just having fun.

Also, I don’t really care for the term “cisgender” and never asked anyone to use that term to refer to me. Can I expect anyone to refrain from using it because it makes me uncomfortable? 

• Hook 'Em 1

It occurs to me the Louis C.K. bit about racial slurs.  And that the one that sticks out is "Jew" because it's the correct and respectful identifying noun of a group of people but also used as an insult just depending on how you pronounce it.  

"Oh yes, my brother-in-law David, is a Jew."

versus

"Yeah, I bet that guy is a Jew."

I suspect we're gonna start to hear that with trans folks if we haven't already.

"I know a trans person from our Longhorn message board."

versus

"There's a trans person in our neighborhood now."  

Most people (hopefully over 50%) want to be respectful of how people want to be addressed in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc.  But you can also use the right words and still sound like a fucking asshole.  It's almost part of the hatred, is sounding enlightened.  I think of Ben Shapiro.  Say what you want about him, but he's an articulate motherfucker with all the right vocabulary at the ready.  He's hate filled but he uses polite terminology most of the time with some hate sprinkled on top of it.  

All that said, I want to be more inclusive and use the right words that folks know means I'm an ally.  But I am not accepting LatinX.  As both my mother and Cheech Marin (both from Mexico) said, "We did not assimilate in this country for three generations to have a fucking 'X' attached to our name, there is no ChicanX or HispanicX. "

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It occurs to me the Louis C.K. bit about racial slurs.  And that the one that sticks out is "Jew" because it's the correct and respectful identifying noun of a group of people but also used as an insult just depending on how you pronounce it.  

versus

I suspect we're gonna start to hear that with trans folks if we haven't already.

versus

Most people (hopefully over 50%) want to be respectful of how people want to be addressed in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc.  But you can also use the right words and still sound like a fucking asshole.  It's almost part of the hatred, is sounding enlightened.  I think of Ben Shapiro.  Say what you want about him, but he's an articulate motherfucker with all the right vocabulary at the ready.  He's hate filled but he uses polite terminology most of the time with some hate sprinkled on top of it.  

All that said, I want to be more inclusive and use the right words that folks know means I'm an ally.  But I am not accepting LatinX.  As both my mother and Cheech Marin (both from Mexico) said, "We did not assimilate in this country for three generations to have a fucking 'X' attached to our name, there is no ChicanX or HispanicX. "

I'm Hispanic and the Latinx thing just isn't worth the fight to me. I don't like it because it makes no sense grammatically and that language's gendered nature was never created to be harmful to anyone. If you identify as a man, you're Latino regardless of what bits you were born with, same vice versa. If you're somewhere in between, I'm happy to use whatever term you prefer, the best argument I've seen is Latine', and if that's preferred, I'm okay with it in general. But like I said, I'm not going to fight against Latinx, it's not worth the grief. If that's one's preferred terminology, I'm happy to go along with it.

• Like 1

I know what you’re saying. And I know what I was saying wasn’t analogous because it was about humanity as a species and not about individuals. But it is true that whiteness is a more recent differentiation in our pigmentation. So in a sense some of us were “whited.” Or “unblacked,” if you prefer. I was just having fun.

Also, I don’t really care for the term “cisgender” and never asked anyone to use that term to refer to me. Can I expect anyone to refrain from using it because it makes me uncomfortable? 

you're a whited cishet man, so no you have no say here.  kthxbai.

just kidding. by the way, "cis" is simply latin for "on this side" where "trans" means "on the other side".  you don't have to like it, hell I don't like trans but it's what I am. so meh.

my ex hated cis, especially as our relationship was crumbling, and frankly I don't get it. it was very clearly an attempt by her in how she described it to say "look, we [cisgender] are the norm, we don't need an adjective, you are not the norm, you need an adjective."  it was kind of holier than thou. and that attitude (which she has continued) can just get fucked. describing someone as cisgender allows for transgender folk to have some modicum of equality in the written word.  but whatever, I won't call you cisgender unless I'm insulting you. /sarcasm (I try not to insult anyone)

Edited by troph

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm Hispanic and the Latinx thing just isn't worth the fight to me. I don't like it because it makes no sense grammatically and that language's gendered nature was never created to be harmful to anyone. If you identify as a man, you're Latino regardless of what bits you were born with, same vice versa. If you're somewhere in between, I'm happy to use whatever term you prefer, the best argument I've seen is Latine', and if that's preferred, I'm okay with it in general. But like I said, I'm not going to fight against Latinx, it's not worth the grief. If that's one's preferred terminology, I'm happy to go along with it.

I take my cues from those around me. the "x" thing is not universally adopted, makes it kinda hard when you're trying to be respectful. same for black and african american. I have friends that are fine with black, others aren't. I have friends that don't identify as african-american, only american, so they are black americans and have a reaction to being called african american. 

55 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

versus

versus

intent is everything and it's pretty easy to see it, especially if your well-being depends on reading it.  95% of folks here are fine because they are trying. 5% can get fucked because they either use improper terminology on purpose or worse use slurs (those have largely stopped after multi year requests to treat slurs as slurs, thank you Bob). intent is everything.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don’t really give a shit either way.  I say I’m Hispanic or mixed race.  Said it for 40 years, gonna say it for another 40.  But I suspect you and I have some uncles with very stern opinions on the nomenclature after a few drinks.  

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My satire meter is broken.  The point seems to be that is not something that happened to them, personally.  It is them.  You are referring to a population.  Like as in a statistic. An old prof once said a statistic never caused anything. 

45 minutes ago, troph said:

"cis" is simply latin for "on this side" where "trans" means "on the other side".  you don't have to like it, hell I don't like trans but it's what I am. so meh.

I know what it means. Ironically, I was informed by members of the LGBTQ community what it means and told that that’s what I am. I was never consulted. 

I know what it means. Ironically, I was informed by members of the LGBTQ community what it means and told that that’s what I am. I was never consulted. 

Okay. Not sure what you want from me but okay.  But erase trans from your lexicon for me and I’ll erase cis for you and you’ll be a pretty cool dude and I’ll be a pretty cool chick and we can leave it at that, pretty simple really.

*I am not insulted by the use of the term chick, or ragey bitch for that matter, they are gender affirming so I approve. 

Edited by troph

Thanks, Troph, for the head’s up. Church of God, Transgender, then.

I agree that God is in all things, male, female, and neither.

My point is this SCOTUS seems to go out of its way to protect religious rights, and therein lies a position to fight back against state oppression.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Can I use whited though? It sounds hilarious. I currently use “white-a-fied” to refer to certain taco joints. I think whited might be a better fit 

Just recognized I own the trademark and you’re good.