Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire (AMC, October)

atomheartbevo

Based on Anne Rice’s revolutionary gothic novel, Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire follows Louis de Pointe du Lac (Jacob Anderson), Lestat de Lioncourt (Sam Reid) and Claudia’s (Bailey Bass) epic story of love, blood, and the perils of immortality, as told to journalist Daniel Molloy (Eric Bogosian). Chafing at the limitations of life as a black man in 1900s New Orleans, Louis finds it impossible to resist the rakish Lestat’s offer of the ultimate escape: joining him as his vampire companion. But Louis’s intoxicating new powers come with a violent price, and the introduction of Lestat’s newest fledgling, the child vampire Claudia, soon sets them on a decades-long path of revenge and atonement. Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire will debut on October 2 at 10pm ET/9c on AMC, with the series’ first two episodes available on AMC+ that same night.

Interesting, didn’t know they were doing this.  Big budget.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've read every Vampire Chronicles novel and enjoyed each, although not surprisingly some are much better than others.  And a few are great.

The final few with "Prince" Lestat were really damned good.

The second novel in the series, The Vampire Lestat, is genuinely as much a work of philosophy as it is a horror/fantasy novel.

Not everyone enjoyed the Cruise/Pitt "Interview" but I thought it was well done.

So in other words, I hope this doesn't suck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

Why in the hell would they take a very young (in the novel) Daniel Molloy and turn him into a character played by 70-yr-old Eric Bogosian?

They also changed when Louis was made a vampire.  I think this will be very interesting.  Sam Reid is a very underrated actor.  He looks the part.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They also changed when Louis was made a vampire.  I think this will be very interesting.  Sam Reid is a very underrated actor.  He looks the part.

Yeah, part of the fascination is that when Louis is telling his story to Daniel, he's around 200 years old.

Interview was nowhere near as great as the novels that succeeded it, but the part of it I found most compelling was Louis' desperation to know what they were, where they came from, how they came into being, etc.  Same existential questions we have but explored through perspective of an immortal vampire.

Although, I've often found it odd to refer as a being as "immortal" when there are a handful of ways you can permanently kill him.

17 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've read every Vampire Chronicles novel and enjoyed each, although not surprisingly some are much better than others.  And a few are great.

The final few with "Prince" Lestat were really damned good.

The second novel in the series, The Vampire Lestat, is genuinely as much a work of philosophy as it is a horror/fantasy novel.

Not everyone enjoyed the Cruise/Pitt "Interview" but I thought it was well done.

So in other words, I hope this doesn't suck.

I read the first five. She kinda lost me at Memnoch the Devil, but I always thought Body Thief would make a great movie. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I quite enjoyed the first episode and looking forward to the rest of the season.  I am a big fan of the first 3 vampire books and first 3 Mayfair witches books.  I thought all of those were really great but after those books Anne Rice kind of lost me.  

I agree about a lot of her later vampire books, though I remember really enjoying Memnoch the Devil.

She was an odd woman, but a great storyteller. Claudia was such a tragic figure. Those near 80 years that Louis and LeStat lived as a happy family with her, spoiling her and doting on her while in a loving relationship. They had everything until they didn't. How bitter she became, how vicious. I always felt sorry for her. I think Anne wrote herself in the novel has the woman who lost her child and wanted Claudia to turn her so she could be mother to her little girl forever. So twisted and so sad. Anne wrote some badass stories.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I quite enjoyed the first episode and looking forward to the rest of the season.  I am a big fan of the first 3 vampire books and first 3 Mayfair witches books.  I thought all of those were really great but after those books Anne Rice kind of lost me.  

I liked when they did the one off books about the various vampires, like Pandora.  I did enjoy the first three Mayfair Witches books, and I also enjoyed #4 which was Merrick.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:43 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I did enjoy the first three Mayfair Witches books, and I also enjoyed #4 which was Merrick.  

On 10/7/2022 at 10:43 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I did enjoy the first three Mayfair Witches books,

Guess what’s coming in January

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, burntorangebongos said:

She was an odd woman, but a great storyteller. Claudia was such a tragic figure. Those near 80 years that Louis and LeStat lived as a happy family with her, spoiling her and doting on her while in a loving relationship. They had everything until they didn't. How bitter she became, how vicious. I always felt sorry for her. I think Anne wrote herself in the novel has the woman who lost her child and wanted Claudia to turn her so she could be mother to her little girl forever. So twisted and so sad. Anne wrote some badass stories.

This will be a good measure of how well this series adaption stays to the important elements of Rice's story.  Rice's story with an 80 year old in a 5 year old's body is impossible to pull off on camera.  I believe this show makes Claudia a young teenager - which is fine as long as her arch follows the storyline. 

If you gave up at some point on the Vampire Chronicles novels I strongly encourage you to read:
Prince Lestat
Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis
Blood Communion
They (the novels) got really great again. You'll thank me.
Looking at my bookcase, the ones I didn't read are the Prince Lestat books. I have all the other Vampire Chronicals, Pandora, Vittorio, and the Mayfair books. For some reason, I have two copies of The Vampire Armand. I might give the later ones a read. Thanks for the recommendation.

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
On 10/9/2022 at 11:53 AM, Augustus said:
If you gave up at some point on the Vampire Chronicles novels I strongly encourage you to read:
Prince Lestat
Blood Communion

Looking at my bookcase, the ones I didn't read are the Prince Lestat books. I have all the other Vampire Chronicals, Pandora, Vittorio, and the Mayfair books. For some reason, I have two copies of The Vampire Armand. I might give the later ones a read. Thanks for the recommendation.

My pleasure.  She takes the story in a direction I never imagined it going, and even thought a little silly at first, so I was surprised at how great they turned out to be.  Lestat is forever Lestat, of course, so he's awesome as usual.

On 10/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, Augustus said:

Prince Lestat

Blood Communion

I ran out of new stuff to read, so I re-started the Atlantis book, couldn't remember why I didn't finish it.

Oh right, I remember now, it's because the author is fixated on every male vampire sucking each other off. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Finished the season last night.  I thought it was done pretty well.  Although it doesn't follow the book in every way, I felt it stayed pretty true to the story and told the story much better than the movie.  Looking forward to season two.

I also thought it was pretty good and can’t wait to see what they do with The Mayfair Witches in January.  

Just finished.

I got pretty doubtful about it into the second episode, as I wasn't caring much for replacing the broader existential questions/distress of Louis with the oppression of Jim Crow and homophobia, as that's fundamentally the purpose Rice's vampires served, a vehicle for exploration of humanity's greatest questions and dilemmas, but I thought they navigated it really well and it actually turned into (for a while) an interesting exercise in how attachment/selfish desire leads to suffering--in this case by Louis clinging to his mortal family and business goals. 

So, we ditched Kant but welcomed in the Buddhists.  

I've no idea where they're going to ultimately go with Lestat, but the other thing I didn't care for was turning him into an actual monster who gets off on cruelty for cruelty's sake, behaves like a psychopath, imprisoning whom he claims to love, etc.  This is still Louis' perspective, though, so perhaps it'll go the same way as the novels and we'll find out this characterization has been over-the-top unfair to him.  

Once we saw Rashid in Daniel's dream I thought it was obvious they were gonna make him Armand.  Interesting.

Only other thing I didn't care for:  The variation of presentism, so to speak, and I'm referring to Molloy and his high-horse self righteousness with the snarky comments about vampires--Claudia in particular--killing people.  Well no shit, dude.  Lions eat gazelles.  Vampires drink human blood.  We didn't start the fire...

Even though I didn't care for how Lestat was portrayed, Sam Reid went Barry Bonds on that role.  Bailey Bass did right by this version of Claudia, as well, though we've come a long way from 5-year-old Claudia in the novel.

No way for me to know, but I'd wager Anne Rice would have approved.

The atmosphere was great, very haunting at times, along with the sets, lighting and costumes.  Thumbs up from me.  Really looking forward to what they'll do with the Mayfair Witches.  Is Harry Hamlin playing Oncle Julien?  I haven't looked at the casting.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

By the way, speaking of racism and New Orleans and Anne Rice, if you haven't read Feast of All Saints, it's worth it.  When I read that novel, I had no idea what the gens de couleur were (free people of color).  Blew me away there was a society of free black/mixed race folks right in the middle of the slave owning south.

It's educational as well as compelling fiction.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, Buzzrock said:

I read the first five. She kinda lost me at Memnoch the Devil, but I always thought Body Thief would make a great movie. 

It would make a great movie if done right, but I'd wager heavily they'd turn it into a vampiric action/adventure film.  The chase to get his body bck would be the plot, instead of the philosophical questions and fundamental fears involved in both his dilemma and ultimate choice.

Haven't read the books, but we finished this recently and enjoyed it well enough. 

I've only seen the movie a long while ago, but I seem to remember significant differences in the Armond character in the movie - in the movie, doesn’t he arrive in response to some violation of vampire norms to hold Louis and/or Lestat accountable?

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Haven't read the books, but we finished this recently and enjoyed it well enough. 

I've only seen the movie a long while ago, but I seem to remember significant differences in the Armond character in the movie - in the movie, doesn’t he arrive in response to some violation of vampire norms to hold Louis and/or Lestat accountable?

In the film, Santiago finds him on the Paris streets, then Armand appears and invites him to the Théâtre des Vampires, but it's never made clear that the reason for that was anything other than curiosity about Louis and Claudia.  Armand does comment that it's "forbidden to make one so young," but the trouble doesn't really start until Santiago discerns that Louis "killed" Lestat.   

• Hook 'Em 1