Learn me on rugby?

FirstTimeCaller

Happened across rugby on TV this past weekend. Actually stopped and watched a bit. While I understand the big picture object, I don't understand some of the finer points. Anyone know what's going on that can help explain it?

- The offensive player is tackled, they set the ball down and then roll it back slightly with their foot to the player behind them. Do they have to roll it back? Can the defense just dive at the ball during this exchange? 

- I never really saw the defense try to strip or punch out the ball. Is that not allowed? 

- Seemed like whenever the offense got close to reaching the endzone, they'd try a couple of times to run it in and then just do a kick with a player streaking through to try and catch it. Why not just try to keep running it in over and over? Seems like the worst that happens is you get tackled and then just give your teammate a try.

- Is holding a player to stop his progress considered a tackle? Seemed like three guys would stand up a player but not bring him down. Then the player would set the ball down and roll it back to his teammate.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Happened across rugby on TV this past weekend. Actually stopped and watched a bit. While I understand the big picture object, I don't understand some of the finer points. Anyone know what's going on that can help explain it?

- The offensive player is tackled, they set the ball down and then roll it back slightly with their foot to the player behind them. Do they have to roll it back? Can the defense just dive at the ball during this exchange? 

- I never really saw the defense try to strip or punch out the ball. Is that not allowed? 

- Seemed like whenever the offense got close to reaching the endzone, they'd try a couple of times to run it in and then just do a kick with a player streaking through to try and catch it. Why not just try to keep running it in over and over? Seems like the worst that happens is you get tackled and then just give your teammate a try.

- Is holding a player to stop his progress considered a tackle? Seemed like three guys would stand up a player but not bring him down. Then the player would set the ball down and roll it back to his teammate.

You were watching rugby league.

1. Once a player is tacked, they have to play the ball. That's just the rule of how they put it in play.

2. You can strip if if you're the only player going for the ball, but only before the tackle.

3. You have 6 chances to make a try. After 5 tackles, they usually kick--that's probably what you saw.

4. Yes. The definition of "tackled" in the rules includes being held upright.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rudiger said:

You were watching rugby league.

1. Once a player is tacked, they have to play the ball. That's just the rule of how they put it in play.

2. You can strip if if you're the only player going for the ball, but only before the tackle.

3. You have 6 chances to make a try. After 5 tackles, they usually kick--that's probably what you saw.

4. Yes. The definition of "tackled" in the rules includes being held upright.

Ah yes, forgot about one thing that number three would mention. Just randomly it seemed like they just kicked it over to the other team. I guess they reached their six chances.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ah yes, forgot about one thing that number three would mention. Just randomly it seemed like they just kicked it over to the other team. I guess they reached their six chances.

That's it. Think of it like a punt. If they were tacked on their 6th chance, the turnover would be there.

What you were watching is roughly halfway between normal rugby (Rugby Union) and American Football.

Rugby is all about field position to give a team the best chance of scoring. Think of it as trench warfare. The people who have traditionally played it were prep school kids who would go on to be officers in the military. 

Soccer was/is more of a poor person’s sport. Full coordination as a single unit is not as important as interplay with 2 or 3 players or individual skill of a single person. Think guerrilla warfare.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, Napoleon said:

Soccer was/is more of a poor person’s sport.

I always enjoyed the saying "football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans; rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen," as most of the time it rings true.  I've seen it attributed to churchill but who the hell knows.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 1:56 AM, futureman said:

I always enjoyed the saying "football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans; rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen," as most of the time it rings true.  I've seen it attributed to churchill but who the hell knows.

And cricket is a gentlemen’s game, played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I like rugby but haven’t tried to follow it in a really long time. But for me, rugby Union was the best rule set. Am I alone?

You are correct. League takes out rucks, scrums, and lineouts. Huge parts of what make union entertaining (and fun to play).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A sizable part of my ancestry is from Wales and the Welsh love to sing.  One of the things on the bucket list for me, my brothers, and our sons is to learn the Welsh national anthem and attend a rugby match in Cardiff featuring the Wales national team.  It would be fun to be a part of a crowd that sang their national anthem with such passion.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

A sizable part of my ancestry is from Wales and the Welsh love to sing.  One of the things on the bucket list for me, my brothers, and our sons is to learn the Welsh national anthem and attend a rugby match in Cardiff featuring the Wales national team.  It would be fun to be a part of a crowd that sang their national anthem with such passion.  

I recommend a Six Nations match against England or Ireland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2023 World Cup Consolation Match is at 2pm CDT Friday. Argentina v England.

Final between South Africa and New Zealand is 2pm CDT Saturday. 

Both games are on Peacock, not sure if anywhere else. Been some great finishes this year. If you're interest in watching rugby, check it out.

On 8/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

https://streamable.com/atpb2?src=player-page-share

Not rugby but you’ll probably still enjoy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ftf82 said:

2023 World Cup Consolation Match is at 2pm CDT Friday. Argentina v England.

Final between South Africa and New Zealand is 2pm CDT Saturday. 

Both games are on Peacock, not sure if anywhere else. Been some great finishes this year. If you're interest in watching rugby, check it out.

Go back and watch all 4 quarter final games on Peacock if you're at all interested in Rugby.  Some fantastic games.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Six Nations starts this weekend. First match is Friday at 2pm between defending champs Ireland and France. France is the oddsmakers favorite this year. All matches will be on Peacock.

Hard for me to get excited with no Antoine Dupont.

• Like 1