Horrible way to die new stories

crash_davis

Figured we could post all the news stories of fucked up ways to die

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/umbrella-swept-wind-kills-woman-south-carolina-beach-88248496

GARDEN CITY, S.C. -- A beachgoer was killed Wednesday after a loose beach umbrella impaled her in the chest, authorities said.

The umbrella was blown from from its anchoring by the wind around 12:40 p.m. and hit Tammy Perreault while she was at a Garden City beach, Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard told news outlets.

Perreault, 63, died about an hour later at the hospital from chest trauma, Willard said

Sorry to hear about your Mom. How did she die?

Beach umbrella.

Don't have links for stories due to being an old but had 3 high school teammates die in the following manners within 2 years of high school graduation:

- buried by an avalanche in Utah

- sitting at a red light by UH and a truck comes flying off of 45 and lands directly on top of his car

- climbing the giant TV antennas out by Missouri City late at night and fell to his demise...2 other guys had to climb down AFTER that happened...

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Don't have links for stories due to being an old but had 3 high school teammates die in the following manners within 2 years of high school graduation:

- buried by an avalanche in Utah

- sitting at a red light by UH and a truck comes flying off of 45 and lands directly on top of his car

- climbing the giant TV antennas out by Missouri City late at night and fell to his demise...2 other guys had to climb down AFTER that happened...

I had 2 high school classmates get their throats  slit during an armed robbery, and a third who took a shorgun blast point blank to the chest whose mother was working as a nurse in the ER when they brought him in.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was doing due diligence on a company a client was going to buy.  One lawsuit they were defending involved a transport truck for a load of pipe (the steel kind,not the steelshank kind). A single pipe was not chained correctly and going up a mountain it slid off and impaled a driver through the chest.

I make sure not to tailgate those trucks now.

• Like 1

The four I recall from a refineries I've worked at were

1) They were building a new sub station and the crane holding the casing of the transmission pole broke, and the headache ball sheared off the cable, and smashed a guy's head.

2) A guy was on the wrong side of a couple hundred feet of FRP fire water pipe, a dump truck dropped its load and it pushed the fire water pipe into the trench. The guy was pinned under the line in a ditch filled with water and I think drowned before dying from his injuries.

3) A heavy equipment operator was running a bull dozer while in a coke pit while the gantry crane was being repaired, and backed the dozer off the coke pile into 300 degree water. Essentially boiling him alive.

4) A guy was running a man lift and wasn't paying attention overhead and crushed himself between an I beam and the man lift basket. He was pinned onto the joystick pushing him up.

• Like 2

1) They were building a new sub station and the crane holding the casing of the transmission pole broke, and the headache ball sheared off the cable, and smashed a guy's head.
2) A guy was on the wrong side of a couple hundred feet of FRP fire water pipe, a dump truck dropped its load and it pushed the fire water pipe into the trench. The guy was pinned under the line in a ditch filled with water and I think drowned before dying from his injuries.
3) A heavy equipment operator was running a bull dozer while in a coke pit while the gantry crane was being repaired, and backed the dozer off the coke pile into 300 degree water. Essentially boiling him alive.
4) A guy was running a man lift and wasn't paying attention overhead and crushed himself between an I beam and the man lift basket. He was pinned onto the joystick pushing him up.

Username does not check out.
  • Haha 1

My environmental science class we had to go to a sewage treatment facility.  The pond is highly oxygenated to promote bacteria growth.  At least 10 people a year fall into these types of shit ponds and drown.  The highly oxygenated water causes you to sink like a rock no matter how good of a swimmer you are.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, butthurt said:

1) a guy got pinned in the buckle between two rail cars. They were able to get his wife out there to say goodbye, but they couldn't pull the cars apart without him immediately bleeding out, so he had to chill while his wife probably spent 20 minutes looking for her keys that were actually in her purse the whole time.

2) an empty hopper car came in to be washed and loaded, but there was something oozing out of the bottom. A few guys had tried to sneak across the border in it, but their escape rope broke and they were trapped inside and turned to soup in the Texas/Mexico sun.

• Rage+1 2

The beach is fraught with danger. If the waves won’t get you, sharks will. Or a boat propeller. Or drowning. Or a parasailing freak accident. Or a sailfish will impale you. Or an umbrella will fly into you and you die. 

what’s the main reason to go? Undefeated? Lol…

F6157776-68ED-4AA1-83E5-743C9F581229.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

A teen-ager who hit a bench with his golf club in a fit of frustration was killed on Saturday when the club's shaft broke, bounced back and pierced his heart, authorities said today. The youth, Jeremy T. Brenno, 16, of Gloversville, was playing golf with some friends at the Kingsboro Golf Club about 3:30 P.M. Saturday when he struck the bench with his No. 3 wood after missing a shot, Fulton County Sheriff's deputies said.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/11/nyregion/youth-killed-as-club-s-shaft-pierces-heart.html

• Haha 1

I was doing due diligence on a company a client was going to buy.  One lawsuit they were defending involved a transport truck for a load of pipe (the steel kind,not the steelshank kind). A single pipe was not chained correctly and going up a mountain it slid off and impaled a driver through the chest.
I make sure not to tailgate those trucks now.

That’s how some movie director from the 70s died over a decade ago…Allan something IIRC.

3 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

My environmental science class we had to go to a sewage treatment facility.  The pond is highly oxygenated to promote bacteria growth.  At least 10 people a year fall into these types of shit ponds and drown.  The highly oxygenated water causes you to sink like a rock no matter how good of a swimmer you are.

They are called aeration basins, and yes, you will sink in them.  I see pictures of wastewater plants with the floating life rings mounted on the aeration basin hand rails and laugh.  Someone would have to be standing next to the ring and throw it to the victim in seconds for them to have a chance to pull the victim out.  It just isn't likely.

And, yes, I saw the Myth Busters episode that supposedly proved that one can float in aerated water.  They did not convince me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friends and family gathered Sunday evening to mourn the loss of a tuna factory worker killed in an accident at a processing plant last week.

The worker, now identified as 62-year-old Jose Melena, was cooked to death inside a steam oven last Thursday.
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/worker-dies-after-being-cooked-in-tuna-plant-oven/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This place used to be off limits, man, 'cause some drunk freshman fell off. He went right down the middle, smacking his head on every beam, man. I hear it doesn't hurt after the first couple though. Autopsy said he had one beer, how many did you have?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This place used to be off limits, man, 'cause some drunk freshman fell off. He went right down the middle, smacking his head on every beam, man. I hear it doesn't hurt after the first couple though. Autopsy said he had one beer, how many did you have?

I was not there...he was running with a different crowd by then 

• Drool 1

I had a buddy in college whose grandpa lived right along 290 in an area where it was 4 lanes with a median.  He used to sit in his yard and watch traffic on the highway.  One day an axle broke loose off of an 18 wheeler trailer that was going by and  it bounced across the median and two more lanes of traffic and hit him while he was sitting outside in a lawn chair.  It killed him instantly, but the fucking odds of that have to be astronomical.

Edited by kevwun
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

climbing the giant TV antennas out by Missouri City late at night and fell to his demise...2 other guys had to climb down AFTER that happened...

I used to run cows on that spot. 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One day an axle broke loose off of an 18 wheeler trailer, bounced across the median and two more lanes of traffic

This happened to a truck right in front of me on 45 somewhere around Centerville. Had it not been 0530 I bet it would have taken out some cars behind me. 

10 hours ago, butthurt said:

This guy's uncle was working graveyard shift at a refinery, and it started storming.  Lightning struck one of the tanks and started a fire right by his uncle. He tried to go save his uncle but the other employees held him back because it was too dangerous 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

A parachute not opening… that’s a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine… having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that’s the way I wanna go!

I always thought that slowly getting ran over by a steamroller starting at your feet would be one of the worst ways to go.  Especially if it ran out of gas when it got just past your waist.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Had a guy fall into a vegetable oil holding tank and drown.  Rumor at first was that he had fallen into a fryer and cooked to death.

Either way, fuck that.

Get the right actors and that could be a good movie. If Ryan reynolds can do a coffin movie, no reason this can’t be made

edit: not sure why it quoted that post. Meant to quote the one about the soup coming out of the rail car. 

Edited by achooloco

A very good friend's first husband worked oil & gas in west Texas.  He was not very high up on the totem pole.  His boss told him to climb up onto a huge tank of crude and sweep it off . . . it caved in, and he drowned.  Apparently it's very difficult to tread crude oil.

My Aunt and Uncle who live by Giddings, had a neighbor killed a few years back when his bush hog threw a wire through the back of his skull. I had a neighbor growing up who rolled a tractor into a pond, and was pinned with survivable injuries except he couldn't get his head above water and drowned before the tractor could be pulled off of him.