Horrible way to die new stories

crash_davis

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

A very good friend's first husband worked oil & gas in west Texas.  He was not very high up on the totem pole.  His boss told him to climb up onto a huge tank of crude and sweep it off . . . it caved in, and he drowned.  Apparently it's very difficult to tread crude oil.

Dad had a childhood friend drown in a rice dryer. 

36 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I had a neighbor growing up who rolled a tractor into a pond, and was pinned with survivable injuries except he couldn't get his head above water and drowned before the tractor could be pulled off of him. 

Friend dated a guy lost his wife this way. Zero turn. He attempted to get it off and couldn’t. Mid 30’s guy. Ugh. 

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

1) a guy got pinned in the buckle between two rail cars. They were able to get his wife out there to say goodbye, but they couldn't pull the cars apart without him immediately bleeding out, so he had to chill while his wife probably spent 20 minutes looking for her keys that were actually in her purse the whole time.

2) an empty hopper car came in to be washed and loaded, but there was something oozing out of the bottom. A few guys had tried to sneak across the border in it, but their escape rope broke and they were trapped inside and turned to soup in the Texas/Mexico sun.

1) a guy got pinned in the buckle between two rail cars. They were able to get his wife out there to say goodbye, but they couldn't pull the cars apart without him immediately bleeding out, so he had to chill while his wife probably spent 20 minutes looking for her keys that were actually in her purse the whole time.

Something like that happened in my neck of the woods years ago. They wrapped a sheet around the guy till he could tell his family bye.

At the old ore plant, they were dumping molten ore in a frame bucket. It had water in the bottom and it shot everything out onto the operator.

My old man investigated pipeline accidents for decades.  One that he never shook was two guys in south La. who got taken out.  It was a Friday, they were probably jawing with each other about all the beer and poontang they intended to slay over the weekend.  The two of them were leaning over a hatch on a pressurized line, turning the wheel/moving whatever apparatus it was to open that hatch.  They forgot to check the pressure.  Hatch blows.  Bottom half of each guy knocked back a good ways from the location.  Top half of one guy found 1,000 feet away.  Top half of other guy never found.  That one really shook my old man up, because it was just one moment of failing to pay attention to the basics, and it killed the both of them.

He also investigated an incident where a pogie boat (so, full of oily menhaden for fish meal and such) hit a gas line that was SUPPOSED to be buried, but had been exposed and floated up to where the boat hit it, split it, and it blew.  Killed several crew members.  But when he got to the site a day later....in warm weather, with the boat and its hold refrigeration system obviously out of action....he said that the smell of all of that rotten fish was the worst thing he ever smelled.

Nevermind when he was the chief US federal investigator on loan to the Mexican government to investigate the San Juanico LNG disaster in 1984 -- killed 500-600, injured thousands more.  He saw some shit.

tragedias-Pemex-11.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Wasn't some employee of a dry cleaners here in Austin killed not too long ago when she was pulled into some equipment,  and her head and body crushed? They found her when they opened up the next morning 

And that dude who fell into the lasagna meat grinder at Michaelangelos foods in Round Rock.

I avoided buying their products for a good while after that.  Wanted to make sure they had time to, uhh, flush the machinery.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

This one creeped me out quite a bit when it happened.  As @Brisketexan mentioned, the worst deaths can just be things that occur by really random bits of bad luck.  Russians are throwing a pool party.  Someone throws dry ice into the pool.  Oxygen is immediately sucked out and several asphyxiate.  Ugh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51680049

Wasn't some employee of a dry cleaners here in Austin killed not too long ago when she was pulled into some equipment,  and her head and body crushed? They found her when they opened up the next morning 

Long haired Asian lady at the Ace Tailors off South Congress IIRC. Her hair got caught in a washing machine agitator when she opened the lid while it was running. That was probably close to 20 years ago now.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Being captured alive back in the day by the Comanches...

I had an idea, but just reading it...damn.

The Comanche roasted captive American and Mexican soldiers to death over open fires. Others were castrated and scalped while alive. The most agonizing Comanche tortures included burying captives up to the chin and cutting off their eyelids so their eyes were seared by the burning sun before they starved to death.

https://www.forttours.com/pages/torture.asp

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

1) a guy got pinned in the buckle between two rail cars. They were able to get his wife out there to say goodbye, but they couldn't pull the cars apart without him immediately bleeding out

So I worked night shifts at a grain elevator off 225 on the ship channel, and I was told this story as part of a warning that cars that got shoved down the tracks are surprisingly silent, so never ever walk around on the tracks.   This was probably around 1990. 

But seeing here that a couple others heard this story makes me wonder it it’s an urban legend (?). 

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

What's weird about Mafia stuff? Without it we wouldn't have The Godfather and Goodfellas.

Yeah the movies are cool, but the obsession/worship is too much for some.  The worship of white gangsters from history and movies is a huge part of black gangster culture, and has had a big impact on black on black crime.  Without the gangsters to show them how, violence would not have accelerated at the rate that it has in those neighborhoods.  I think i'm probably as blood thirsty as the next guy in my entertainment pursuits, but I'm glad it hasn't devolved into fascination and/or worship.  

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

I had an idea, but just reading it...damn.

The Comanche roasted captive American and Mexican soldiers to death over open fires. Others were castrated and scalped while alive. The most agonizing Comanche tortures included burying captives up to the chin and cutting off their eyelids so their eyes were seared by the burning sun before they starved to death.

https://www.forttours.com/pages/torture.asp

I’d think they’d die of thirst before starvation. 

4 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

This thread has made my OCD 10x worse, have to avoid alot of different shit now.  

I've been close to dying from some simple, mundane shit on several occasions. We probably all have. Just don't think about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

So I worked night shifts at a grain elevator off 225 on the ship channel, and I was told this story as part of a warning that cars that got shoved down the tracks are surprisingly silent, so never ever walk around on the tracks.   This was probably around 1990. 

But seeing here that a couple others heard this story makes me wonder it it’s an urban legend (?). 

I think the incident that @Jkwellbornwas referring to was the same one I was referring to. And yes, railcars roll incredibly silently. We still roll them down (we'll, I don't anymore) to loading spots manually. One man standing at the wheel brake on the front car trying to stop it at just the right position so that the loaders can reach all the compartments of the next one. Everyone in a while youtighten down on the brakes only to realize that the brakes don't work.

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think the incident that @Jkwellbornwas referring to was the same one I was referring to. And yes, railcars roll incredibly silently. We still roll them down (we'll, I don't anymore) to loading spots manually. One man standing at the wheel brake on the front car trying to stop it at just the right position so that the loaders can reach all the compartments of the next one. Everyone in a while youtighten down on the brakes only to realize that the brakes don't work.

ExMh1qfVIAAllZC.jpg

Fire ants - https://www.winknews.com/2021/05/13/swfl-woman-dies-after-reaction-to-fire-ant-bites/

Killer Bees - https://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/articles/2013/06/03/40000-killer-bees-sting-texas-man-to-death

Marie Prevost -

Mary Provost did not look her best
The day the cops bust into her lonely nest
In the cheap hotel up
on Hollywood West July 29
She'd been lyin' there
for two or three weeks
The neighbors said
they never heard a squeak
For hungry eyes that could not speak
Said even little doggie's have got to eat
She was winner
The became the doggie's dinner

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Dad had a childhood friend drown in a rice dryer. 

Dealt with sorghum and grain dryers on the high plains in my ute. There's not enough moisture involved in which to drown.  Was the youngster covered in rice, thus suffocating?

About a month ago we were having a team building afternoon at punch bowl social at the domain. Very soon after we got there they started evacuating the place and people were running from the bowling lanes. The staff came from the maintenance area behind the pins crying and screaming. They had just seen their coworker get beheaded by the pin reset machine. All of our future events with punch bowl have been canceled and apparently that location will be closed for some time. I don’t know if they are back open yet or not.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Dealt with sorghum and grain dryers on the high plains in my ute. There's not enough moisture involved in which to drown.  Was the youngster covered in rice, thus suffocating?

Probably.  Happened to a guy where I grew up too.  He fell in and they couldn’t get the feed turned off before he was buried.

• Hook 'Em 1

About a month ago we were having a team building afternoon at punch bowl social at the domain. Very soon after we got there they started evacuating the place and people were running from the bowling lanes. The staff came from the maintenance area behind the pins crying and screaming. They had just seen their coworker get beheaded by the pin reset machine. All of our future events with punch bowl have been canceled and apparently that location will be closed for some time. I don’t know if they are back open yet or not.

Hope somebody at least picked up the spare.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the mid 80s my brother worked at a place that made the wire racks for Little Debbie's and Frito Lays displays.  One night everyone went on break except the guy operating the chrome plating line.  When everyone returned from break, he was nowhere to be found, so they started looking for him.  About an hour later someone looked in the hot (approximately 190° F) rinse and saw his remains on the bottom.  He had tried to walk along the top of the wall for some reason, slipped and fell in.

They tried to scoop him out, but, to quote my brother, "he fell apart like a boiled chicken."  They had to pump out the tank for the recovery, which took over 24 hrs due to capacity to treat the rinse water as it was pumped out.

The counselor the company brought in to help folks deal with it said that with the shock of the hot water the guy probably died quickly, but my brother and a couple of the others saw marks on the tank walls showing not only where the guy had slipped on the wall, but also where he tried to crawl out but couldn't pull himself out.  Boiled alive little at a time seems like it would suck.

I think the incident that [mention=234]Jkwellborn[/mention]was referring to was the same one I was referring to. And yes, railcars roll incredibly silently. We still roll them down (we'll, I don't anymore) to loading spots manually. One man standing at the wheel brake on the front car trying to stop it at just the right position so that the loaders can reach all the compartments of the next one. Everyone in a while youtighten down on the brakes only to realize that the brakes don't work.

Yeah, I’ve spotted them up at work and it’s crazy how quiet they are. We would drag them with a forklift and once they started, all you did was let it roll.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:54 PM, Not a cat said:

I was doing due diligence on a company a client was going to buy.  One lawsuit they were defending involved a transport truck for a load of pipe (the steel kind,not the steelshank kind). A single pipe was not chained correctly and going up a mountain it slid off and impaled a driver through the chest.

I make sure not to tailgate those trucks now.

I know a guy whose wife was driving through town, following the speed limit, minding her own business and the PTO driveshaft fell off an oilfield truck she met. Went through her windshield and you know the rest of the story.

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I always thought that slowly getting ran over by a steamroller starting at your feet would be one of the worst ways to go.  Especially if it ran out of gas when it got just past your waist.

abcef60b-2559-4b46-8b4f-9db2ddbde8d5_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Jesus. I hope it wasn't a league game.

• Like 3

My wife works in construction QA/QC. A crew on her project was operating one of the millers that scrapes the old asphalt off. A younger guy directing the miller wasn't paying attention for a second and got his leg pulled into the miller. He died within a couple minutes. The miller operator was his uncle.

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This one creeped me out quite a bit when it happened.  As @Brisketexan mentioned, the worst deaths can just be things that occur by really random bits of bad luck.  Russians are throwing a pool party.  Someone throws dry ice into the pool.  Oxygen is immediately sucked out and several asphyxiate.  Ugh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51680049

Someone drop that bit of wisdom to Ukraine... 

BTW... 

23AA5006-1726-4021-A4F2-A76F3CF400DE.thumb.jpeg.b5a749816177a319a3e0e1a4bf8e2c9e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Summer after our college freshman year, a couple of friends went scuba diving in one of the N. Florida panhandle caves. Both were very experienced divers, but they still got lost. When their bodies were recovered around 120' down, neither was wearing his weight belt. The thought of their final moments still haunts me decades later.

Knew a dude who was riding in the back of a pickup.  Short ride of about a mile from one friends apartment complex to another, so he jumped in the back while dude driving and some girls sat up front.  He was sitting on the side instead of down in the bed.  His other buddy gunned it pulling into parking garage of the arrival complex.  Guy was pretty tall. Low clearance man....low fucking clearance.

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Electricity scares the shit out of me, reminds me of my Church’s days anytime I had to do electrical repairs on the fryers and such I’d turn the power completely off for the store.  Too many stories out there of accidental electrocutions.  

When I was in the navy a guy was doing a clean an inspect on some 4160 V breakers.  They electrically disconnect when you rack out that breaker drawer from two stabs in the back.  Guy had reached back there and his body had became part of the circuit.  They found just his bones when they got to him

46 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Electricity scares the shit out of me, reminds me of my Church’s days anytime I had to do electrical repairs on the fryers and such I’d turn the power completely off for the store.  Too many stories out there of accidental electrocutions.  

Based upon the other stuff in this thread, electricity seems pretty good. 

• Haha 1