Horrible way to die new stories

crash_davis

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/houston-i69-trailer-death-17583505.php?utm_campaign=premiumchron_breakingnews_20221114&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Man killed after leaping onto moving trailer along I-69 in Houston, getting knocked off by bridge

A man who climbed onto a tractor trailer and began dancing was killed after the truck passed under a bridge along Interstate 69, knocking him to the road below, according to Houston police.

In a release sent Monday morning, officials said the unidentified man "jumped or climbed" on a moving 18-wheeler around 11:35 a.m. Thursday. The driver, traveling south, was unaware of the trespasser, police said.

The man then climbed onto the truck's trailer and "began dancing and possibly recording himself," authorities said.

As the truck passed below Tuam Street, which spans the freeway, the man hit the bridge and fell onto the freeway. Paramedics with the Houston Fire Department rushed the man to Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center, where he later was pronounced dead.

Flatlined?

23 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/houston-i69-trailer-death-17583505.php?utm_campaign=premiumchron_breakingnews_20221114&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Man killed after leaping onto moving trailer along I-69 in Houston, getting knocked off by bridge

A man who climbed onto a tractor trailer and began dancing was killed after the truck passed under a bridge along Interstate 69, knocking him to the road below, according to Houston police.

In a release sent Monday morning, officials said the unidentified man "jumped or climbed" on a moving 18-wheeler around 11:35 a.m. Thursday. The driver, traveling south, was unaware of the trespasser, police said.

The man then climbed onto the truck's trailer and "began dancing and possibly recording himself," authorities said.

As the truck passed below Tuam Street, which spans the freeway, the man hit the bridge and fell onto the freeway. Paramedics with the Houston Fire Department rushed the man to Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center, where he later was pronounced dead.

i wouldnt call that a horrible way to die....

I would call that darwin awards in action.

this probably went so fast it wasn't actually a horrible way to die for being a horrible way to die.  i'm sure the $145,000 fine will get cat to think more about safety. 

A Caterpillar employee was “immediately incinerated” when he fell into an 11-foot-deep pot of molten iron heated to more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

https://www.wndu.com/2022/11/15/caterpillar-employee-immediately-incinerated-after-falling-into-pot-molten-iron-osha-says/

Edited by elfenix

There's a concrete plant in Maryneal. It was updated a few years ago but was originally built in the 50's so the technology was pretty old before it was rebuilt. There is a giant room where the "clinker", big chunks of cement, falls before being put into the ball mills for pulverizing. They fed the clinker to the mills with a giant overhead crane. It had exposed drums that had to be worked on constantly. A few years ago there was a guy standing on top of the crane with a foot on each drum. One of the women that worked in maintenance, gave the wrong instructions to the crane operator and he ran both drums inward. It sucked the worker between the two drums, a space of about 6", up to his chest.. Because of his location in the plant, 50' in the air on a crane and the fact that Maryneal is in the middle of BFE, he had no chance. He knew he weas going to die. Some of the managers tried to save him but all they could do was talk to him while he expired. The guy I knew who tried to help was messed up for years.

• 3 weeks later...

add rogue wave to the list. did the falling, broken window chop off her head?

https://abcnews.go.com/International/rogue-wave-strikes-antarctic-cruise-ship-leaves-1/story?id=94351154

Californian Beverly Spiker told ABC News that a "huge smash" against the window of her and her husband's cabin caused her window frame to break.

https://www.wral.com/viking-polaris-cruise-ship-wave-crash-death/20608926/

640x360

• 1 month later...

A worker from Texas is dead after falling at an oil rig site in North Dakota.

Daniel Navarrete, 42, of New Braunfels, Texas, fell through an open hatch Thursday in a pit at a Nabors Industries rig north of New Town, according to Mountrail County Sheriff Corey Bristol.

Other workers tried to rescue Navarrete and even drained the pit, the Bismarck Tribune reported Friday, but Navarrete died at the scene.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/texas-oil-worker-dead-after-falling-into-pit-in-north-dakota

17 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

A friend of mine lost her husband when he was told to sweep the "lid" of a big oil vat.  Lid failed, he fell in, and drowned in crude.

She and her son will never want for money, that's for sure.

On 11/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

i wouldnt call that a horrible way to die....

I would call that darwin awards in action.

The husband of a friend of my wife tried to cross a racetrack during a race (the racetrack didn't have a fence). It didn't end well. His widowed wife received a lot of money, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I think goes here 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-activist-decapitated-swinging-gate-utah-park-awarded-105m-rcna68861

Recreation areas had recently opened after pandemic-era closures and, on the edge of Arches, a metal gate normally secured with a lock was left untethered.

As the couple was leaving the park, gusts of wind swung the gate around rapidly, enough to slice through the passenger side door of the couple’s car, decapitating Nakajjigo as her husband sat feet away in the driver’s seat.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

I respectfully disagree (is that even allowed in here?)  It was over for her almost instantly.  Now, if we are talking about horrible ways to watch your significant other die, then 100%.

How do you know that she didn’t have 15-30 seconds to watch her headless body bleed out?  That sounds terrifying 

Suit was asking for $140 million, lulz: 

Throughout the trial, attorneys debated estimates of Nakajjigo’s earnings potential. McGinn, representing Nakajjigo’s family, likened her to a nonprofit CEO for an American charity and said she would have likely made millions throughout her life. Attorneys representing the U.S. commended her work, yet noted her most recent job was working at a restaurant making $15 per hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Sucks he was 15, but stupid gets what stupid gets. 

A 15-year-old boy was tragically killed while subway surfing atop a Brooklyn-bound J train while his girlfriend watched in horror, police said Tuesday.

The train was rumbling along the Williamsburg Bridge over the East River around 6:45 p.m. Monday when Zackery Nazario and his girlfriend went walking between train cars. When Zackery climbed onto the train’s roof, his 17-year-old girlfriend followed but only far enough to peer over the top, a police source said.

When Zackery turned to look back at his girlfriend, he was struck by a low beam and toppled between cars, cops said. He was run over by the train and died at the scene.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-15-dies-subway-surfing-132800560.html

• 4 months later...

https://nypost.com/2023/06/25/san-antonio-airport-worker-killed-after-being-sucked-into-delta-jet-engine/

A Texas airport worker was killed after being sucked into a jet engine at San Antonio International Airport on Friday night, according to a report.

Emergency crews were called to the tarmac just before 10:30 p.m. after reports that a ground worker had been “ingested” into the engine of a plane that had just landed.

The Delta flight had just arrived from Los Angeles and had only one engine running at the time of the incident.

“Delta Flight 1111 was taxying to the gate, with one engine on at that time, and a worker was ingested into that engine at 10:25 p.m,” the NTSB said in a statement to KENS5.

An investigation into the worker’s death is ongoing.

• Hook 'Em 1

A high school teammate died in an avalanch in Utah while he was in college.  The guy he was out there with was only a few yards away from him and was completely fine, but was helpless to try to find or rescue him. 

Another guy I knew in high school died when a vehicle came flying off the freeway and landed on his car as he was on the feeder road waiting to turn at an intersection. 

In high school there were three dudes whose last name started with O. One hung himself in the attic while his parents were on vacation during the summer. He decomposed enough that his liquified putrefication leaked through the ceiling into the house. Another drag raced his Camaro into a bridge abutment that flipped into a creek then exploded. So wreck then drowning then burned. The third broke his arm playing football. Ate all his percodans then drank a fifth of whiskey on a dare to impress the girls. Woke up dead.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So far, no casualties have been mentioned, but this is happening like in the same block as another fire from 2016.

This is probably a top 3 horrible ways to die for me.

2016 fire for comparison

So Bob,

You remember when we used that diesel bi-product as flame retardant?  As it turns out, maybe not our best thought.  

• 3 weeks later...

Homeless woman dies after being run over by weed mower in California

An organization that supports the unhoused and a family are heartbroken after a landscaping contractor hired by the city of Modesto allegedly drove over and killed a woman who was laying in a field of overgrown vegetation.

“I feel terrible because they killed my daughter,” said Christopher Chavez, the father of 27-year-old Christine, who was unhoused and died Saturday, the day when workers driving a John Deere tractor with a pull-behind mower were cleaning up Beard Brook Park.

Christopher said that he immediately went to the spot where his daughter died after learning about her death.

“There were many pieces of (her remains) around there and I called the police,” Chavez said. “I went there and I still have pieces of bones, like pieces of her skull and some teeth. It’s terrible.”

At Tuesday’s city council meeting, a representative of the organization We Are Not Invisible addressed city leaders, saying that Chavez’s father will not get the opportunity to say goodbye to his daughter at a proper funeral.

Modesto Police Spokeswoman Sharon Bear said city officials believe it is a “terrible accident,” and a detective has returned to the scene to make sure they didn’t miss any details.

At the family home, Christine’s mother and siblings have been gathering to grieve and share their heartbreak and frustration.

“I am sad for what happened to my daughter, and we want justice for the way that she died,” said Josefina Chavez, Christine’s mother.

Christine’s sister, Rosalinda, recalled the moment she saw several remains of her deceased sibling. “…They left big (pieces) of her all over the place, just covered up with the grass. We have to go see the place because we wanted some kind of closure, and to be right there, looking at the ground, and then all of a sudden, seeing (pieces) of her, is horrible.”

E & J Gallo Winery, which owns Beard Brook Park, issued a statement, saying, “Gallo acquired the Beard Brook Park property in Modesto on Friday, July 7, 2023. On Saturday, July 8, 2023, a landscaping contractor was hired to perform weed abatement and fire prevention services. There was an accident at approximately 12:00 p.m. involving the contractor’s tractor and an individual who was not visible and laying in a tall, weeded area. The contractor immediately contacted the Modesto Police Department, and upon arrival, MPD officers declared the individual was deceased.”

OK, If you want justice for your daughter that was sleeping in an overgrown field, WTF didn't you let her live with you or find her a place? Because you couldn't make money off of it and you found out E&J Gallo bought the land the day before? No, that certainly couldn't be the reason.

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

So she got ran over by a brush hog? If that’s the case, how out of it do you need to be in order to not hear the tractor dragging it?

Shit happens to animals all the time during the rut.

Yep.  As you know, lots of fawns meet that fate cutting hay.  

• Like 1