We got any Bowlers up in here?

Wulaw Horn

13 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Open spot in the first pic is for my iq emerald. It’s on the rack.

Damn Thunder!  And people make fun of me for having 2 lockers.  You got mostly Storm stuff and some Lane #1 it looks like.  I'm all Storm except for the purple hammer.  Here's all 26 of my balls.  The stuff on the floor is what's going to Waxahachie.

balls.jpg

• Like 1

@Pogo yes, mostly L1 and storm stuff. I also have an SR2, and a TX1, a trident, a viper toxin (the green one), and 3 diff jackyls (including the one that got banned.) Then a couple global 900’s, and 2 roto grips that cracked. Have a L1 emerald and a blue death that have cracked. My marvel cracked, so down to my last one of those. Probably won’t see holes.

I’d have to go count for an exact total, but it’s in the 50-60 range I think. Then another 10 or so that have cracked and need thrown out.

Probably 60% of the stuff I have is set back for tournaments only. Leagues/house here not worth the high risk of trashing it out.

And some of it, no way I could keep it on the lane here. 😂

Edited by thunderlounge

57 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Probably 60% of the stuff I have is set back for tournaments only. Leagues/house here not worth the high risk of trashing it out.

That's about the right ratio.  Maybe even 70%.  Where do you bowl tournaments?  Do we know each other?

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Dumb idiot question… most expensive ball you own or have bought? 

slightly less dumb, are knee issues common for bowlers? What’s most common injury/weak spot that breaks down?

For me, the most I’ve ever paid was $400 (not including drilling/grips/slug/it/etc).

But that was several years ago, and I really, really wanted it (Lane 1, pearl cherry)

3 hours ago, Pogo said:

That's about the right ratio.  Maybe even 70%.  Where do you bowl tournaments?  Do we know each other?

I don’t get down into Texas for tournaments. Mostly KC/STL/Tulsa areas, give or take. Then nats most years, unless it’s somewhere I don’t want to go (like NY, lol.)

What I’d really like to do is get some guys together for the veterans tournament in Vegas. 

I have a friend that bowls it, but has a team that stays together every year for it. It’s every year, not sure how long it runs, they go in mid January.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Dumb idiot question… most expensive ball you own or have bought? 

slightly less dumb, are knee issues common for bowlers? What’s most common injury/weak spot that breaks down?

The most expensive balls are about $275ish.  I have a couple that were about $250.

Knee issues on your slide leg are not uncommon - things like torn patella tendons.  Arm issues are more common in the wrist, rather than the shoulder or elbow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Geez. Completely forgot the injury part of that question. 

Agree with above. 

Also can strain your sciatic nerve area. That really, really sucks.

Did that in practice before a tournament once. First shot, went to slide, stuck pretty bad. Let the counter know, they fix, and it’s 100x worse. I either pulled something, or pinched that nerve. 

It took me 2 or 3 months to get it back to full strength. 

Pulled that sciatic area bad. Still 8m of practice left. 

Immediately went to the pro shop, explained, and walked out with a ball 10 minutes later.

Had to stand at the foul line in my release position for 6 games, then drive 3 hours home. At least it was Sunday.

The shop did me a solid with the turnaround, and put me in the exact right ball for that shot. I didn’t have squat for a layout with me for that type of change, but damn sure have since then. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

The shop did me a solid with the turnaround, and put me in the exact right ball for that shot. I didn’t have squat for a layout with me for that type of change, but damn sure have since then. 

Details?  What ball, layout, oil pattern?

Well, fuck!  My weekend didn't go as planned.  I wound up having to bowl with Chris Barnes for 8 games on Saturday, so I got a front row seat to how a hall-of-famer operates.  It was a bit intimidating at first and I was already a little too hyped-up to start.  Unfortunately, I just never really settled down and got into a groove.  I made some poor equipment choices and only had a couple good games (225, 234).  The other 6 were all sub-195.  Finished 46th of 63. Dropped 10 spots with a 130 in game 8 when I was already out of it.  That was also shortly after the Horns choked in Lubbock.  Time to re-group for another one in Rowlett on ou weekend.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Spoosner said:

My Mom asked for a bowling ball bag for her bday. She's not fancy, just something for her ball, shoes, and wrist brace. I'd like it to be good quality. Brand and/or specific 1 ball bag recs? 

The main thing would probably be to get her a roller.  That's always better than carrying your stuff.  If she's partial to any specific ball brand, maybe look at the bags that brand makes.  Otherwise, KR Strikeforce should be a little cheaper and probably better quality.

Hybrid Single Roller

• Hook 'Em 1

Definitely don’t want any of the Ebonite brands. Ebonite/hammer/track/columbia

Their parts are shit and their warranty claims are ridiculous.

Look at Turbo, KR, or Storm.

Cannot speak about Brunswick, haven’t had one of those. 

I did do a warranty claim with KR, and it was stupid easy.  Fuck ebonite. lol

I currently have two storm 6-ball rolling thunders, two 4-ball rolling thunders, and two 3-ball turbo’s (for flights).

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

10.7? Da fuq?

I’m trying to throw the ball very slowly as I’m learning to throw a hook which is something completely different for me. The slower you throw it the more it bites and the more I can work on grooving my throw. 
I used to throw the 15 pound house ball 16-18 mph. This way is obviously getting me better results. I imagine I will work up to throwing it faster once I get my form down. 
also- I think that was on my last pickup attempt and I was fucking around. I usually throw my first ball somewhere between 11.5 and 12.5 MPH but my results are best when it’s sub 12. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, Pogo said:

Very nice Wulaw!  Strikes for show, spares for dough.  As for the 10.7 mph, those radar guns are pretty suspect.  I had one last week consistently read in the 40mph range.  If they get bumped a little, the reading is trash.

Lane 12 at Highland?

• 4 months later...

Dammit, it took me too long to have something to update in this thread!  After Waxahachie, I started off in Rowlett doing the wrong thing for 4 games and was 80 pins out of the cut.  Switched balls, got deep and started hooking it.  Wound up missing the cut by about 10 pins. 🤬  Almost the same thing happened in Beaumont in November.  Started with 240, then lost it and missed some spares.  Made a change and came back the last 2 games to miss by about 10 again. 🤬 🤬  Next was Odessa in January.  I thought my spare game had gotten better, but I was wrong.  Missed about 8 in that 8 games to miss the cut again by 30ish. 🤬🤬🤬  Totally changed how I hold my spare ball when I got home.

Then, I decided to go to Colorado to see an old UT roommate and bowl a regional up there.  Glad I did.  Started 252-290.  LFG!  It was up and down after that, but finished +168 to be 3rd after qualifying (behind only Tom Hess and Tish Johnson).  Slipped a little to 5th the next 6 games Sunday morning because I didn't put enough surface on the purple hammer.  Didn't make that mistake twice.  After the 3rd round, I finished in the 3-seed for the stepladder.  Shot a clean 225, but lost to a 229 because he strung more strikes.  The 4th place $1000 check barely covered my expenses, but I didn't go for the money.

Don't know if I'll bowl another regional before the summer, but the National PBA50 tour starts in Vegas the first week of June with the USBC Senior Masters.  I'm taking the wife to that one.  Should be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh, they have hvac. They just don’t set it near low enough. If you’re sitting and watching, not moving at all, it’s a hair warm but passable. Better than outside for sure. But by the time practice is over you’re turning on the battery powered fan you brought. Not like AA battery, like milwaukee/dewalt type ones.

Fall starts the first week of august. It will be “fan season” through October or so. 

Short of that: when AMF is the only house around within 45 minutes or so, they’re tight with resources and high as fuck on the prices. 

• Like 1

Did not see this posted anywhere else.  Did a search but who the hell knows.  Tangential to this thread but not sure if there is a better place to put it.

Stephen F. Austin bowling assistant out after relationship with student athlete

A Stephen F. Austin assistant bowling coach resigned after it was discovered that he was having an inappropriate relationship with a player on the team.

Steve Lemke, who is married to the team's head coach, Amber Lemke, was given a choice to resign or be fired by the school. He quit on April 10.

"He’s not working here anymore," Stephen F. Austin athletic director Ryan Ivey said. "From a departmental standpoint, he had a choice and he chose to resign."

The school won national championships in 2016 and 2019 and had runner-up finishes in 2015 and 2022.

Steve Lemke said he did nothing wrong in having a relationship with the player and defended his actions.

"I knew it was kind of a no-no, but there’s not a rule saying it can’t happen," Lemke said, via The Daily Sentinel. "There's not a law saying I’m going to go to jail for doing something like this. There’s nothing in stone. I guess it’s just an ethics code, like we frown upon it, but there’s no rule, there’s no law broken."

The relationship between Lemke and the player was discovered when Amber Lemke saw a text from the player on Steve Lemke’s phone. The couple has since filed for divorce.

"It didn’t have anything in detail," Steve Lemke said about the text message. "It was just about how amazing I am, basically, in general perspective. Amber saw that and questioned me, and I got to the point where it just built up so much that I basically told her the truth after she dug through my phone."

Steve Lemke was a volunteer assistant with the program until 2019, when the school hired him as an assistant coach.

"I was the stay-at-home dad for five years with the kids while Amber got to go off and coach the team. And when she’d get back, I’d run practices on top of taking care of the kids while she was back," Steve Lemke said. "When they’d travel again, I would sit back and take care of the kids. Then when I got hired on, she almost forced me to run practices. I was a volunteer the entire time before that trying to help out Amber. Once I got hired on, one thing stemmed from another. I felt like I was doing too much for what I was being valued at."

Amber Lemke will continue coaching the team, and the player has exhausted her eligibility.

“As soon as we found out, we went through the process,” Ivey said. “We support our student athletes, and obviously Amber, with what was going on."

The head coach of the bowling team.

Amber Lemke

Amber Lemke

Nothing. Guess I’m just no longer part of the cool kids club and they’re little clique. Been on that team for 15 years, and then poof.

Shoulda seen it coming long ago, I guess. You just think your “friends” wouldn’t do that to you. Guess I was wrong.

And not like I suck, either. Far from it. Good for a 3 every season, more times than not a second or more. Deuce average.

I got some bullshit excuse, but I didn’t fall off the turnip truck last night.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Damn, that is real shitty. Winning is cool, but bowling league night is about booze & having fun for a few hours. 

What was their bullshit excuse? 

Exactly. That was my one night a week to get out and kick back with people I’ve been friends with for a long time.

We typically finish mid to upper mid of the pack. Skill-wise I’m far from the weakest link.

But somehow, out of thin air, my personality is a problem for “a few of the guys, and unfortunately majority rules and  all.”

Um, what? So just that at face I simply said that must mean at best it’s 3-2, or may be 4-1. Whatever. 

At least one of the guys that would have “voted” for it, I treated like we were family. Would have given him the shirt off my back. And he would have had to OK it. The other guy is who called me (he’s also the captain), and I’m like that with him too. 

The other two I thought I was pretty tight with too.

Of course there was the “I’m sure one of the teams will need ya, someone always does.”

Yeah, ok. 

Like I’m going to go up in there and be around people every week that did me like that. I don’t need that bullshit in my life.

So something is rotten in Denmark. There wasn’t a vote. Someone I thought I was like family with did me dirty like it’s some high school bullshit. 

I don’t need it. Good riddance. 

Edited by thunderlounge
  • Like 1

No, unfortunately there isn’t one. Sun-Thurs, one of them is around. I’ll probably hit it on a weekend afternoon or Friday night now and then to keep it around. 

I’m also not driving 45 minutes to the next closest house, either.

When I move (building) in 5-6 years, I’ll be a lot closer to another house. Maybe I’ll pick back up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I’m getting the itch to bowl more frequently.

I was in a league years ago with friends and had a 150 average. I’m currently a mostly straight bowler with a baby hook, but I want to develop my hook a little more. YouTube has a fuckton of videos on trying to show the right way to bowl. I feel like I’m in the weeds.

Living in pflugerville, Spare time is my closest but the oil really seems to prevent much of a hook. And the league seems to eat up all the lanes on Wednesday nights. I’d join but the league is full. So I only get to bowl about half the time I show up. It’s kind of frustrating. Apparently there are lanes at Bass Pro and Austin Park and Pizza I could try but I don’t expect much better conditions for either of those.

I even tried tried to get a lane at Pinstack(?) on tech ridge but it also had a huge wait on a weeknight. I feel like my best bet is to drive a little further back into town at Highland Lanes.

How easy is it to get into the leagues at Highland as a solo?

Funny bump. Me and my fam just played a couple games this afternoon. 

I was a pin behind my brother in the 2nd game and playing right after him - we had both gone back to back strikes in the 8th and 9th - he put up another X and carded a 150 - I went gutter ball, 1 for a pathetic 114.

That asshole. 

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

^ Whatever happened with your team drama? Forgot about that until I scrolled up when he bumped it. 

Well, I ain’t heard a so much as a fuck you from either of them since. Nothing. Guess they really weren’t friends after all. Wish I’d have known that 15 years ago, but whatever.

Ain’t nobody got time for that bullshit drama. 

• Like 2