Salman (not Salbass) Rushdie attacked/stabbed during lecture in western NY

C-Man

Somebody playing the long game?

https://apnews.com/article/salman-rushdie-attacked-9eae99aea82cb0d39628851ecd42227a?taid=62f66e7da3b3e500018694a5

CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (AP) — Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked Friday as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.

An Associated Press reporter witnessed a man storm the stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing Rushdie as he was being introduced. The 75-year-old author was pushed or fell to the floor, and the man was restrained.

Rushdie was quickly surrounded by a small group of people who held up his legs, presumably to send more blood to his chest.

His condition was not immediately known.

Hundreds of people in the audience gasped at the sight of the attack and were then evacuated.

Rushdie’s book “The Satanic Verses” has been banned in Iran since 1988, as many Muslims consider it to be blasphemous. A year later, Iran’s late leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or edict, calling for Rushdie’s death.

A bounty of over $3 million has also been offered for anyone who kills Rushdie.

Iran’s government has long since distanced itself from Khomeini’s decree, but anti-Rushdie sentiment has lingered. In 2012, a semi-official Iranian religious foundation raised the bounty for Rushdie from $2.8 million to $3.3 million.

Rushdie dismissed that threat at the time, saying there was “no evidence” of people being interested in the reward.

That year, Rushdie published a memoir, “Joseph Anton,” about the fatwa. The title came from the pseudonym Rushdie had used while in hiding.

Rushdie rose to prominence with his Booker Prize-winning 1981 novel “Midnight’s Children,” but his name became known around the world after “The Satanic Verses.”

The Chautauqua Institution, about 55 miles southwest of Buffalo in a rural corner of New York, is known for its summertime lecture series. Rushdie has spoken there before.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Who exactly pays bounties and is that a taxable event?  

ironically, it is a band of media organizations that purport to deliver "news" in iran.  it is effectively the state media group that have pooled together the equivalent of $3 million for the bounty.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Foosters said:

Know a guy who was with Rushie at dinner last night and said he made a joke about being Fatwa'd . . .  

I was alone in a elevator with him once in LA and I actively wondered what he would do if I made a quick move towards him.  
Hope he pulls through.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

I read Midnight's Children in high school English.  Some weird stuff but I liked it.  I should read Satanic Verses sometime just to see what made it fatwa-worthy.

absolutely nothing made it worthy. Just stupid bullshit. 

Another in the long line of evidence that religion is the worst plague to ever befall mankind. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Everyone should read Midnight’s Children because it’s an amazing book. It’s like a great symphony in novel form. It’s VERY dense for a westerner, but if you’re willing to go along for the ride, it’s worth it.

Everyone should read The Satanic Verses because of Iran’s endorsement. It’s a very good book, but any book that causes a fatwa and bounty demands to be read.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

No shit. The guy that attacked him was born the year Satanic Verses was published. Fucking nuts. Doubt this guy has ever even read the book. 

Nah, he wasn’t born when the book was first published.  Happens to me, too. I am confident that the 1980s happened about 20 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Nah, he wasn’t born when the book was first published.  Happens to me, too. I am confident that the 1980s happened about 20 years ago. 

Knew that felt off. Even worse. Someone groomed this kid to try and kill someone over this book. Just stupid 

This is a crazy story…for my family as well. We used to visit Chautauqua every summer with my wife’s family. Her step mom led the women’s club there and we would go to each lecture and listen to fascinating speakers and enjoy the peaceful and open grounds. If you’ve ever been, it’s the last place you would expect something like this to happen…which is likely how he got away with it. It’s truly an amazing place. Pre internet and phone Chautauqua was a place where leaders in their field would come and enlighten the audience with what was going on in the world. The first house Edison electrified is there (or hotel or something of his firsts)…Amelia Earhart landed her plane there to speak. I was there one summer when they had a sports leader section and Roger Goodell spoke and I met him next to the stage. 

No cars, only bikes…arts, literature, music…some of the best ice cream you’ve had…just a really special place. Great historic homes everyone stays in on property. Still unreal to think about this happening there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chautauqua

St. Stephen’s site in Austin was originally a Chautauqua as well.