Uber vs Lyft

SDG

I’m drunk so forgive me it this has been covered because either my search skills suck or the topic hasn’t been addressed.  

I haven’t been out or needed a ride hailing company for a few months so tonight it’s a bit of a surprise that only Lyft shows up on google maps with no option for Uber.  I used to be able to compare prices before opening the app to order.   

is Uber pulling a 1990’s Microsoft or 2000’s + southwest?   

Yeah just have both on your phone and pull up the apps to check. Not sure why one is on maps and the other isn't. 

5 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

If you can’t afford the $3 price difference one way or the other then you should be home drinking Natty Light. 

What does intentionally paying more for the same product have to do with how much money you have? 

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah just have both on your phone and pull up the apps to check. Not sure why one is on maps and the other isn't. 

What does intentionally paying more for the same product have to do with how much money you have? 

Technically it's a service and experience matters so it's not the same service. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Technically it's a service and experience matters so it's not the same service. 

If you think one is better than the other then feel free to make that call. I'd say a large percentage if not most drivers drive for both. It's a duopoly that hires from the exact same pool and has largely identical business practices. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

If you think one is better than the other then feel free to make that call. I'd say a large percentage if not most drivers drive for both. It's a duopoly that hires from the exact same pool and has largely identical business practices. 

I don't think this is as true anymore. Most drivers I talk to do only one or the other now. I typically find newer cars on Uberx than Lyft, the premium tier on Lyft is way better and the black on Uber is way better. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't think this is as true anymore. Most drivers I talk to do only one or the other now. I typically find newer cars on Uberx than Lyft, the premium tier on Lyft is way better and the black on Uber is way better. 

You may be right. I actually quit driving Uber and just did Lyft for the last couple months I was doing it. The thing is they will always push and pull each other back to an equilibrium of supply. I think it can depend from city to city as well. 

I'd still maintain it's just as easy to get a bad or good driver with each and think it's similar enough to where I'm always going to just pick the cheaper option. 

Plus - sometimes the price difference is significant. It's always worth checking.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ve used Uber because it came out first and I don’t use it or care enough to download Lyft

Same here. When Lyft first came out, the cars had that stupid pink mustache attached to the grille and there was no way I was going to ride around in a car with that on it. Never bothered to download it because of that and Uber has never been a problem for me so have never had a reason to check Lyft out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There can be a substantial price difference on longer trips.  Last time I came home from the airport it was $65 on Uber and $35 on Lyft.  Shorter trips I generally just use Uber unless the price seems really out of whack for no reason, primarily because it’s on the first screen on my phone and Lyft is on the third.  i view them as identical services.  YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What happened to calling friends or family to pick you up at the airport? And if a girlfriend picks you up the benefits are usually worth quite a bit more than Marriott points.

Marriott points are better for clandestine encounters with the side piece.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What happened to calling friends or family to pick you up at the airport? And if a girlfriend picks you up the benefits are usually worth quite a bit more than Marriott points.

Hey Bevo’s buddy! Can you pick me up at the airport then help me move?

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Same here. When Lyft first came out, the cars had that stupid pink mustache attached to the grille and there was no way I was going to ride around in a car with that on it. Never bothered to download it because of that and Uber has never been a problem for me so have never had a reason to check Lyft out.

Sounds like you missed out on making a lot of good mustache ride jokes. 

On 8/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, RPM said:

I've had numerous sketchy Uber rides with young or immigrant drivers that barely spoke (or apparently read) English.

2 of my last 3 rides were like this. One dude I asked for him to pull over and he either didn’t understand or didn’t care. Got up to over 100mph on 99, accelerated up a fucking overpass to the point his little pos car couldnt take it, and he braked hard on the corner. Uber refunded my $$$ on both. Seems to only be an issue on long rides, airport to house, etc.  

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

2 of my last 3 rides were like this. One dude I asked for him to pull over and he either didn’t understand or didn’t care. Got up to over 100mph on 99, accelerated up a fucking overpass to the point his little pos car couldnt take it, and he braked hard on the corner. Uber refunded my $$$ on both. Seems to only be an issue on long rides, airport to house, etc.  

Holy shit.  I'm surprised that Uber's GPS didn't flag that the dude was driving that fast. 

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Holy shit.  I'm surprised that Uber's GPS didn't flag that the dude was driving that fast. 

I don’t get shaken by much but it had me sick when I got to my destination. First one was a young African guy (21 maybe?), car reeked of weed.  Shit ass Ford Focus. The highway was wide open so we weren’t weaving and shit just straight line speed. I was worried more about the tires than anything until we took that ramp onto 290.  Dude never even acknowledged me  when I asked him to slow down.  Was leaving from my house for an extended trip so was weighing that in regards to how far I wanted to take it. Dude also would have stretched me out; built like a strong safety. 

Second time was next ride ~ weeks later.  A young (early 20’s) gentleman from Middle East. He had a flag on mirror but I’m an aggy in regards to geography.  This dude was weaving thru traffic but never got over low 80’s.  The car was at least competent.   

Ive taken a few hundred Uber rides over the last several years with only 3-4 bad experiences. These two being the worst, and back to back is what has concerned me. 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, royiv said:

You have pink flamingos in your avatar.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, RPM said:

I've had numerous sketchy Uber rides with young or immigrant drivers that barely spoke (or apparently read) English. Most of my Lyft drivers were older retired types and no problems. 

Used Lyft 2 weeks ago in Newark.  Confirmed it was Rafael and plates/ vehicle matched text message.  First dude I checked on was Saed.  Nope...

Got in and he had Cuban music on and it was fucking perfect after being on a flight for 3 hours.  Nobody said shit for 30 minutes and he either knew to STFU or didn't know much English.  Either way it was great.

Edited by slorch

All of my bad drivers were Uber. In downtown Denver the cocksucker was going 80 and ran two red lights. I said pull over here. Almost ran over a pedestrian. Jumped out and called Uber.
Had others who seemed drunk, lost, or inept at driving. Have had Ubers show up in different cars with different drivers. Nope.

One other tip: know your market. In many places cabs are regulated on airport fares and ride share is not, like Chicago. Take a cab.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, our fare was $38 to go 30 miles from airport. The companies generally take 20-25% cut, so $30-ish went to driver.  That's his gross.  Then he has to pay fuel, maintenance, and tolls if applicable.  And it's not like he just picked someone else up down the street from us in the burbs.  He very likely deadheaded back to the airport area.  If he had 10 fares that day like us, he would have grossed around $300, but then back out those other costs.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

yeah, our fare was $38 to go 30 miles from airport. The companies generally take 20-25% cut, so $30-ish went to driver.  That's his gross.  Then he has to pay fuel, maintenance, and tolls if applicable.  And it's not like he just picked someone else up down the street from us in the burbs.  He very likely deadheaded back to the airport area.  If he had 10 fares that day like us, he would have grossed around $300, but then back out those other costs.

Tolls are paid by the customer

same as some others.  had the uber app first and never bothered to get the lyft app.  wife only rolls with uber black, so that's what we get most of the time.  if i'm solo, i will use some the cheaper options, but nothing is as consistent as getting an  uber black SUV.  I am a tall dude and the back seats of most cars suck ass.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Holy fuck dude that article is from April 2020. First of all - it isn't a flat % (you could have read the article to figure that out) . Second of all - it's more than 25%. They also made significant adjustments to how they pay drivers 4-5 months ago to the detriment of drivers. There are also these things called tips. There are also bonus incentives. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Holy fuck dude that article is from April 2020. First of all - it isn't a flat % (you could have read the article to figure that out) . Second of all - it's more than 25%. They also made significant adjustments to how they pay drivers 4-5 months ago to the detriment of drivers. There are also these things called tips. There are also bonus incentives. 

Settle down, Travis. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Same. I haven’t had an under $70 ride in quite awhile. 

*all my rides are airport to house or vice versa. About 45 miles.  

I swear one time is was $120 from the airport in the past year.  Every time I go down to Mohawk, which maybe 6 miles, it's at least $60 each way. I have to overconsume beer while there  just to make that cost worth it.

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Settle down, Travis. 

?

I'm saying Uber pays less than that. I'm not defending Uber and I promise you they don't give a shit about their drivers. 

2 hours ago, slorch said:

He's salty about something else, so he's going to be a bitch.

No worries.

No one is being a bitch. You're being a raging idiot as per usual - making stuff up and citing irrelevant information. 

I fly airplanes for a living and am always picking up uberlyfts around the country. Lyft generally comes in for less so they are my first choice but I will usually bring up both and go with whoever can get there first if they are otherwise close in price. Sometimes only one or the other is available . Or, if your company puts you up in BFE “near the airport”, you are SOL with “no nearby drivers found” and you have to make do with Red Robin assuming you can make it past the crack whores in the Motel 6 parking lot between you and there, but I digress….
From conversations with guys who drive for both, Lyft pays them more.
I do like Uber for their schedule ahead service though.
Also, pro tip for you guys who pay the airport surcharge, if you are able to walk to an adjacent hotel or anywhere besides the designated terminal pick up spots your fare will drop in half.

14 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

I fly airplanes for a living and am always picking up uberlyfts around the country. Lyft generally comes in for less so they are my first choice but I will usually bring up both and go with whoever can get there first if they are otherwise close in price. Sometimes only one or the other is available . Or, if your company puts you up in BFE “near the airport”, you are SOL with “no nearby drivers found” and you have to make do with Red Robin assuming you can make it past the crack whores in the Motel 6 parking lot between you and there, but I digress….
From conversations with guys who drive for both, Lyft pays them more.
I do like Uber for their schedule ahead service though.
Also, pro tip for you guys who pay the airport surcharge, if you are able to walk to an adjacent hotel or anywhere besides the designated terminal pick up spots your fare will drop in half.

How is frontier these days?