A League of Their Own (Amazon)

PenelopeWitherspoon

Dropped on Friday on Amazon.

Based on the movie, but Abbi Jacobson of Broad City fame is behind this.

I am 6 episodes in.  It is really entertaining and smart.  Also covers some of the social issues at the time like racism and the underground LGBTQ community (it is a show about women baseball players, so duh).

i disgree with your take entirely. 

Other than the name and the timeframe, this has absolutely nothing to do with the base material. 

which doesnt make that much sense. they literally could have expanded the entire idea of the movie, taken the characters, recasting them, and then presented a series based off that covering 1 season for every year. 

Pretty much what MASH did.  They could have still centered the story on many of the legit social issues and problems at the time using the less focused on characters from the movie. 

Instead, its a show focused on 1943 events but with a 2020s eye on how things should have been with only a passing attempt at presenting something resembling historical reality. 

i kept watching because after ep 1 it was a slow moving train wreck. 

The inevitable obvious end to the subplot comes to a spectular end as the writer finally decided to assert the real 1940s bigotry and racism when it was convient to the story.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i disgree with your take entirely. 

Other than the name and the timeframe, this has absolutely nothing to do with the base material. 

which doesnt make that much sense. they literally could have expanded the entire idea of the movie, taken the characters, recasting them, and then presented a series based off that covering 1 season for every year. 

Pretty much what MASH did.  They could have still centered the story on many of the legit social issues and problems at the time using the less focused on characters from the movie. 

Instead, its a show focused on 1943 events but with a 2020s eye on how things should have been with only a passing attempt at presenting something resembling historical reality. 

i kept watching because after ep 1 it was a slow moving train wreck. 

The inevitable obvious end to the subplot comes to a spectular end as the writer finally decided to assert the real 1940s bigotry and racism when it was convient to the story.

LOL, ok.  It is a similar concept to the movie, but it is not the same characters.  It is the same period, the founding of the All American Women's Baseball League and a story about some of the players.  

I think it is pretty obvious you are completely ignorant of the LGBTQ history in this country.

23 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Dropped on Friday on Amazon.

Based on the movie, but Abbi Jacobson of Broad City fame is behind this.

I am 6 episodes in.  It is really entertaining and smart.  Also covers some of the social issues at the time like racism and the underground LGBTQ community (it is a show about women baseball players, so duh).

Sounds great

On 8/14/2022 at 11:01 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

LOL, ok.  It is a similar concept to the movie, but it is not the same characters.  It is the same period, the founding of the All American Women's Baseball League and a story about some of the players.  

I think it is pretty obvious you are completely ignorant of the LGBTQ history in this country.

They nailed Rosie O’Donnell in the original movie!

On 8/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I didn't know who this person was.  I looked her up.  If you wanted to put an example picture next to the textbook definition of butterface....she would be strong candidate.  

She reminds me of Charlie Kirk in that her face is too big for her facial features, except her "too big face" is all in her jaw.