Youth Football Coach Shot and Killed by Aquib Talib's Brother

cmontexas

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Wasnt Aquib a pretty good color commentator for Fox? Am I imagining that?

He was and had a gig with Amazon. He won’t be employed by anyone now and will rightfully serve jail time. 

Their temper was always going to get them into bad shit they wouldn't be able to get out of. Was just a matter of time.  But like Everlast said "that's the way it goes when you play that game"

A Super Bowl champion gets into this all over the score of a little kid's football game. Just senseless

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Their temper was always going to get them into bad shit they wouldn't be able to get out of. Was just a matter of time.  But like Everlast said "that's the way it goes when you play that game"

A Super Bowl champion gets into this all over the score of a little kid's football game. Just senseless

This comes out as misplaced emotions: It is like you feel sad for the murderers.

13 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Most parents are bad judges of their kids’ ability, and most get emotional. More parents act poorly than do not, believe me. You cannot equate this very normal, yet irrational behavior with those that would not only bring a gun to a 9 yo sporting event but actually use it. Yet you just did equate them.  Believe me, more parents have visceral reactions and yell at games than do not.  It takes a special kind of thug to bring a gun to a game.

This guy ought to get the death penalty and Aqib ought to go to prison for aiding and abetting. These brothers are scum of the earth. 

It's the exact same impetus, just carried farther.  Any adult who gets upset enough to yell and scream at a youth sporting event is a douchebag at best, and is most likely in need of intense therapy.  It's a continuum, and Talib is on the extreme end of it.  Don't kid yourself though, if you're one of the jackasses yelling at refs, kids, your own kid, or other parents at a youth sporting event, then you have a lot more in common with Talib than with the sane  parents cheering for their kid and just hoping they have a good time and learn a thing or two that can translate to real life.  Having umped, refereed, coached, and sat in the stands as a parent at thousands of these events I completely agree that more parents than not act poorly.  It's not because they're emotional about their kid (what a load of crap that is - if they cared about their kid at all they wouldn't act that way), it's because more parents than not are complete pieces of shit.   Trying to justify their behavior with the "at least they didn't shoot somebody" defense is ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 2

The warrant said eyewitnesses saw a man -- later identified as Yaqub Talib -- shoot another man multiple times with a semi-automatic handgun.

The victim, later identified as Mike Hickmon, was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, according to a news release.

Hickmon was shot in the chest, back and forearm, the affidavit said. 

According to team official Mike Freeman, the fight started when Hickmon went to pick up a football and someone kicked it away.

—————

I’m not sure I give two fucks about Yaqub’s “side” of the story. Or his famous brother’s side of the story. I know Yaqub is entitled to a defense and it will be a vigorous one. I don’t care who these two brothers are or who knows them or what their childhood was like. When someone shows you time after time exactly who they are…believe them. We aren’t talking about 13-17 year old boys. I would feel the same about any grown man who acts this way that should damn well know better. What a fucking depressing story.

18 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

It's the exact same impetus, just carried farther.  Any adult who gets upset enough to yell and scream at a youth sporting event is a douchebag at best, and is most likely in need of intense therapy.  It's a continuum, and Talib is on the extreme end of it.  Don't kid yourself though, if you're one of the jackasses yelling at refs, kids, your own kid, or other parents at a youth sporting event, then you have a lot more in common with Talib than with the sane  parents cheering for their kid and just hoping they have a good time and learn a thing or two that can translate to real life.  Having umped, refereed, coached, and sat in the stands as a parent at thousands of these events I completely agree that more parents than not act poorly.  It's not because they're emotional about their kid (what a load of crap that is - if they cared about their kid at all they wouldn't act that way), it's because more parents than not are complete pieces of shit.   Trying to justify their behavior with the "at least they didn't shoot somebody" defense is ridiculous.

I’m not defending that behavior. It’s deplorable. I disagree that the Talibs are “the exact same” “just carried out further”. There is a big difference between chirping or even yelling at umps or even other coaches or parents at a youth sports event, and knowing when to cool it and not pull out a gun and kill someone. A MASSIVE difference. 

There have been four instances that have shaped my views on this behavior. One is my sweet wife, who never says a word and rolls her eyes at anyone who says anything. At a baseball game, one opposing mother was running her mouth at the ump and our parents, loudly cursing. My wife let her have it publicly. Another instance is when my son caught a TD in 7on7, and a kid trying to break up the ball, was frustrated he’d been scored on, and was playing well beyond the whistle and effectively tackled my son in the end zone and kept going after him until the ref pulled him out (he was ejected). She tried to run on the field to try to pull the kid off herself. They were 11. In the first instance, I laughed but grabbed her arm and told her to cool it. In the second, I was an assistant coach, on the field, and blocked her from entering the field. I told her he has to work this out on this own and cannot be protected by Mom.  Plus the ref had it. 

Another is a guy for whom I had the utmost respect for before our sons were on the same sports teams. Church going, CEO, generally great dude. He ALWAYS ends up yelling at the umps at baseball games (he played college baseball) for being “HORRIBLE!”  He also exacerbated an altercation at a basketball game that ended up in me having to hold him back in front of his entire family from going after a woman (yep) and her husband. I don’t really associate with the guy anymore.  He’s not a “piece of shit”, but instead, a totally reasonable guy until a flip switches for whatever reason.  And MOST parents (mostly dads, but moms too) are like him to varying degrees.

Lastly, we have a very good youth football team. We have never lost and won 3 league titles in a row. I’m an assistant. Opposing coach from an area that hates us wants very badly to beat us and in a playoff semifinal, we scored our final possession to take 35-0 lead. Kids are 10-11. At this point we have our 2nd and 3rd team running backs and are handing it off the whole time - hardly running up the score. With little time left, on ensuing possession, other coach hands the ball off to a clear lineman (illegal) who seeks out contact on our boys. He gave one of our linebackers a concussion. His dad was about to fight the other coach, and if I were him, I have a hard time seeing myself wanting to do anything differently. I would probably collect my son and pursue legal action against the coach and league. All of our coaching staff approached the opposing staff after the game. One guy said, “y’all shouldn’t have run up the score”. Aware there were other kids around me, I was restrained and told the guy our backups ran the ball in, his team didn’t stop it, and he retaliated by giving our player a concussion. He didn’t have much to say, and parents on his team were vocally critical of him. He didn’t coach again. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I disagree that the Talibs are “the exact same” “just carried out further”. There is a big difference between chirping or even yelling at umps or even other coaches or parents at a youth sports event, and knowing when to cool it and not pull out a gun and kill someone. A MASSIVE difference. 

Correct.  They are not in the same universe.  Are they both dickhead behavior, yes.  =/=

33 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not defending that behavior. It’s deplorable. I disagree that the Talibs are “the exact same” “just carried out further”. There is a big difference between chirping or even yelling at umps or even other coaches or parents at a youth sports event, and knowing when to cool it and not pull out a gun and kill someone. A MASSIVE difference. 

There have been four instances that have shaped my views on this behavior. One is my sweet wife, who never says a word and rolls her eyes at anyone who says anything. At a baseball game, one opposing mother was running her mouth at the ump and our parents, loudly cursing. My wife let her have it publicly. Another instance is when my son caught a TD in 7on7, and a kid trying to break up the ball, was frustrated he’d been scored on, and was playing well beyond the whistle and effectively tackled my son in the end zone and kept going after him until the ref pulled him out (he was ejected). She tried to run on the field to try to pull the kid off herself. They were 11. In the first instance, I laughed but grabbed her arm and told her to cool it. In the second, I was an assistant coach, on the field, and blocked her from entering the field. I told her he has to work this out on this own and cannot be protected by Mom.  Plus the ref had it. 

Another is a guy for whom I had the utmost respect for before our sons were on the same sports teams. Church going, CEO, generally great dude. He ALWAYS ends up yelling at the umps at baseball games (he played college baseball) for being “HORRIBLE!”  He also exacerbated an altercation at a basketball game that ended up in me having to hold him back in front of his entire family from going after a woman (yep) and her husband. I don’t really associate with the guy anymore.  He’s not a “piece of shit”, but instead, a totally reasonable guy until a flip switches for whatever reason.  And MOST parents (mostly dads, but moms too) are like him to varying degrees.

Lastly, we have a very good youth football team. We have never lost and won 3 league titles in a row. I’m an assistant. Opposing coach from an area that hates us wants very badly to beat us and in a playoff semifinal, we scored our final possession to take 35-0 lead. Kids are 10-11. At this point we have our 2nd and 3rd team running backs and are handing it off the whole time - hardly running up the score. With little time left, on ensuing possession, other coach hands the ball off to a clear lineman (illegal) who seeks out contact on our boys. He gave one of our linebackers a concussion. His dad was about to fight the other coach, and if I were him, I have a hard time seeing myself wanting to do anything differently. I would probably collect my son and pursue legal action against the coach and league. All of our coaching staff approached the opposing staff after the game. One guy said, “y’all shouldn’t have run up the score”. Aware there were other kids around me, I was restrained and told the guy our backups ran the ball in, his team didn’t stop it, and he retaliated by giving our player a concussion. He didn’t have much to say, and parents on his team were vocally critical of him. He didn’t coach again. 

News flash. This person is always a piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Parents overreacting or behaving badly at youth sporting events has been going on since the advent of youth sports.

I remember when I was walking to the baseball field getting ready to play a game - some East Texas equivalent of Little League.  A game had just wrapped up when I saw a mother of a ball player slap her son for, basically in her words... not striking out the last batter he faced to win the game.

My sister-in-law has lots of stories about parents getting out of control stemming from her days as a soccer mom for club teams in the Dallas area.  So bad at times they banned the parents from matches.

Then there are the Moms I used to see wearing their kids letter jackets in The Woodlands.  WTF.  I bring this up to point out how wrapped up parents get into what their kids are doing

My oldest granddaughter is active in club ball and school sports.  She played in basketball tournament for her Junior High Team and there was an asshole parent in the stands acting like he was at Rupp Arena when the girls would go to the free throw line.  There's that and then watching her play club ball where the whining about the officiating is pretty consistent.  I have to distance myself from where the parents(yep, my own family) sit at these games.

Bottom line... Mom's and Dad's, your time for athletic glory days have passed.  Sit down and shut up and let the kids play the game.  Don't put your failed dreams and expectations on your kids.  It is their time.  Treat the officials with respect no matter how bad you think they are.  Treat the coaches with respect no matter how bad you think they are or how biased they are against your kid.  If you think you can do a better job then sign up.

I say this as someone who has been a player, coach and umpire(part of coaching duties).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

News flash. This person is always a piece of shit. 

Are you talking about the guy I’ve distanced from?  I can see why people would conclude that. But in my extensive observations, he’s decidedly not. He is a genuinely good person, dad and boss that loses his mind when his kids compete in sports. I understand everything he says and does. I just don’t act on those feelings for fear of embarrassing my child and my family. 

7 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Parents overreacting or behaving badly at youth sporting events has been going on since the advent of youth sports.

I remember when I was walking to the baseball field getting ready to play a game - some East Texas equivalent of Little League.  A game had just wrapped up when I saw a mother of a ball player slap her son for, basically in her words... not striking out the last batter he faced to win the game.

My sister-in-law has lots of stories about parents getting out of control stemming from her days as a soccer mom for club teams in the Dallas area.  So bad at times they banned the parents from matches.

Then there are the Moms I used to see wearing their kids letter jackets in The Woodlands.  WTF.  I bring this up to point out how wrapped up parents get into what their kids are doing

My oldest granddaughter is active in club ball and school sports.  She played in basketball tournament for her Junior High Team and there was an asshole parent in the stands acting like he was at Rupp Arena when the girls would go to the free throw line.  There's that and then watching her play club ball where the whining about the officiating is pretty consistent.  I have to distance myself from where the parents(yep, my own family) sit at these games.

Bottom line... Mom's and Dad's, your time for athletic glory days have passed.  Sit down and shut up and let the kids play the game.  Don't put your failed dreams and expectations on your kids.  It is their time.  Treat the officials with respect no matter how bad you think they are.  Treat the coaches with respect no matter how bad you think they are or how biased they are against your kid.  If you think you can do a better job then sign up.

I say this as someone who has been a player, coach and umpire(part of coaching duties).

My daughter plays club hoops and 8th grade school team ball. She’s pretty good. The officiating for club is significantly better than at the school level. However, no parent really bitches at the school level. I think there’s a big difference between boys’ parents and girls. But something you said struck me - on several road games, opposing parents have yelled when my daughter shoots free throws, as she’s shooting. WTF? I don’t even glare at them because I don’t want to get into a fight. She’s quitting hoops to focus on drill team and track. I’ll miss it but not that horse shit. 

I used to umpire and referee basketball and football while I was in high school and college throughout the 90s. Parents have always been shitheads, but at least with coaches you could talk to them before and during the game and they would usually get it. 

CSB, I was working as part of a three man crew for a WH playoff game and James Street was coaching third (Jordan and Juston were on the team). After the home plate ump called a low strike he made a show of throwing his clipboard in the air and falling to the ground. I was standing right behind him and walked over and asked him if he was having a heart attack. He said no, he was just reacting to the low strike. I asked him if it was consistent with the first 4 innings and he said yes. He got up and after the game apologized to the crew for acting (in his words) "like an ass".

He seemed like a great guy and coach. Always positive with the players. Worked probably a dozen of his games over the years including an all-star game where he was coaching against Randy Peschel. 

• Hook 'Em 4

That 2nd vid is rage inducing. Guy was barely getting off the ground and was outnumbered like 5 to 1. Incredible that the Talib guy had a gun and still acted like that big of a pussy. 

And why all this talk about the Talibs being “hood” or “gangster”? They went to Richardson Berkner HS. And they’ve been millionaires for over a decade probably. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That 2nd vid is rage inducing. Guy was barely getting off the ground and was outnumbered like 5 to 1. Incredible that the Talib guy had a gun and still acted like that big of a pussy. 

And why all this talk about the Talibs being “hood” or “gangster”? They went to Richardson Berkner HS. And they’ve been millionaires for over a decade probably. 

It's my experience that people who feel they need to carry a gun are giant pussies.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

The same psychology that drives idiot parents to yell, spit, punch, swear, etc. etc. etc. at youth sports everywhere.  It transcends economic class, race, education level, you name it.  The psychology is simple: a lot of people are terrible fucking morons who only take up space and contribute nothing of substance to the world.  And these people are likely to procreate and force their children into sports whether they want to be there or not.

If you want to absolutely hate humanity, go ump little league games for a season or two.  I couldn't have been happier when my son decided he was done with baseball so we could get the hell away from those people.

Any adult who actually cares about the outcome of a youth sporting event to the point they have a visceral emotional reaction, whether it's a tee-ball game or a high school football game, should either seek professional help or do the rest of us a favor and disappear from society.  Yelling at a youth sporting event is like holding up a flashing neon sign that says, "I'm an emotional toddler trapped in a grown up body and present a very real threat to those around me.  It all stems from the fact my dad never really loved me and didn't care that I knew it.  Also - my own kids hate my guts but I'm too stupid to see it." (EDIT TO ADD: It's a big sign.)

Many years ago (about 20) I was coaching a post-season "all-star" team.  We were rec league, so typically not a whole lot of emotion from the stands during the regular season other than parents/fans cheering their team on.  I got roped into coaching the all-star team because, well, no one else wanted to.  During one of the tournaments, some of our fans were yelling at the ump.  I was coaching third, and when I heard our "fans" and could understand what they were saying, I called time out and went to the fence on our side and told them that we wouldn't start playing until they shut up.  The fans that were being asses didn't appreciate it, but the other parents/fans and the umpire sure did.  Fuck the idiots that suck the fun out of kids games.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I’m so GD tired of people defending the Talibs. I live in Plano and a couple of dads whose sons played with Yaqub(Q)’s son at Plano Senior both said they’re shocked, Q isn’t that type of guy.  Ok, I kind of get that but someone you talk to at practices at games, are you really getting to know them? Anyone can be a complete asshole, just expect it instead of saying you can’t believe it. They didn’t know he had a drug conviction recently—I told them “guess you didn’t know him as well as you thought? Or maybe you’re a methhead too and I don’t know you well either?”

Ive been a basketball ref for a few years. I like basketball, it’s definitely not for the money. As other officials have said in this thread, people are assholes at games. A few months ago, a couple courts from me, a player was ejected for punching an opponent. After the game, the player and MOTHER came out on the court and attacked the girl. It was a girls 8th grade game and not high level.

I do rec games in the off-season and the parents are bad. They don’t know the rules and want you to call every bump against their team, it’s as bad as you can imagine. I’ve tossed parents out, players, coaches. I always tell the parents when I warn them that they’re  embarrassing their player and the people around them. Just sit down and cheer on your kid. I ignore so much BS before someone is tossed.

I do junior high games in Plano, Allen, and Frisco. The parents aren’t as bad because their behavior can actually hurt their player in the future. Some coaches don’t know all the rules because in junior high you usually coach everything. Rarely is there an issue with them.

Fuck the Talibs. 

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My point is it’s more like taking the millionaire out of a middle class suburb.

Ehh not exactly, I think you are focusing on the Richardson part too much, Berkner has some rough areas zoned to it, not sure about now though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Berkner isn’t HP. Lol. They are VERY hood and very gangster. If you need help understanding why, read Aqib’s rap sheet and re-watch the video. 

After the home plate ump called a low strike he made a show of throwing his clipboard in the air and falling to the ground. I was standing right behind him and walked over and asked him if he was having a heart attack. He said no, he was just reacting to the low strike. I asked him if it was consistent with the first 4 innings and he said yes. He got up and after the game apologized to the crew for acting (in his words) "like an ass".

Everyone is susceptible to acting like this - even the most sanctimonious amongst us here and revered class acts like James Street.  People here won’t admit it. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

Everyone is susceptible to acting like this - even the most sanctimonious amongst us here and revered class acts like James Street.  People here won’t admit it. 

Nobody likes to see their kids get screwed at a sporting event. And there’s a wide spectrum of behaviors that are how that is manifested. Any deeper than a pretty surface level conversation about why this happened and where would delve into CR territory quickly. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Just because you think it’s ok to act like that doesn’t make it universally true. Some people are actually mature and able to control their emotions when it comes to sports. All the years and years of my dad going to games of mine, never heard him say a word to a coach or umpire during a game. I’d say almost half the parents were like that most of the time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Just because you think it’s ok to act like that doesn’t make it universally true. Some people are actually mature and able to control their emotions when it comes to sports. All the years and years of my dad going to games of mine, never heard him say a word to a coach or umpire during a game. I’d say almost half the parents were like that most of the time. 

I don’t think it’s okay. I said most of us are susceptible to acting emotionally when it comes to our kids. Personally, I don’t get involved except that one time when a kid I’ve coached since he was 4 got a concussion. I don’t think it’s okay, and, I know where Berkner is. 

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This has been our experience with our kids as well.  

13 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t think it’s okay. I said most of us are susceptible to acting emotionally when it comes to our kids. Personally, I don’t get involved except that one time when a kid I’ve coached since he was 4 got a concussion. I don’t think it’s okay, and, I know where Berkner is. 

Yeah, give me a break. I’ve never been to Richardson, I’m sure it has some ugly pockets. But I’m from harlingen, I probably could’ve beaten the shit out of basically any* Berkner kid back in the day. “Hood” my ass.

*So long as it was a freshman band or chess club member or something. Still counts.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, give me a break. I’ve never been to Richardson, I’m sure it has some ugly pockets. But I’m from harlingen, I probably could’ve beaten the shit out of basically any* Berkner kid back in the day. “Hood” my ass.

*So long as it was a freshman band or chess club member or something. Still counts.

I know Harlingen. I know blonde gals with blue eyes from there, and know many criminals from an area nicer than Berkner in Lake Highlands.  It doesn’t so much matter where you’re from if you’re not raised right. Berkner absolutely will foster elements of thug life whereas HP will not. 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Lol, Street did nothing really in my opinion. I get it he was trying to influence the ump in his favor. The difference is that he realized he was being a jackass, and not a great role model and apologized for it, and honestly I never saw anything like that again out of him.

Counter that with the parent the same year that harassed an umpire in the parking lot after the game by telling him the reason he couldn't call balls and strikes was because he was "a slant eyed gook".  That parent was knocked on his ass by said umpire. Don't blame him one bit either.

Last James Street CSB.

About 10 years after I stopped umpiring I was in a SWA flight from Austin to Vegas. I was sitting in a window seat near the rear and Street came in and sat on the aisle leaving the middle seat open. As people walk past us I put shit in that middle seat and tried to encroach in the middle area as much as possible to dissuade someone from sitting in between us. Street looks over and said I appreciate what you're doing but I think this is a full flight. Eventually an old lady came and sat between us and she started bragging about how successful her kids were and asked James what he did and about his children. He congratulated her on their success and said that he was proud of his kids but never once mentioned who he was, or that his son Huston was the closer for the fucking A's at the time.

Just an all around good guy and greater Longhorn. RIP 16.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Lol, Street did nothing really in my opinion. I get it he was trying to influence the ump in his favor. The difference is that he realized he was being a jackass, and not a great role model and apologized for it, and honestly I never saw anything like that again out of him.

Counter that with the parent the same year that harassed an umpire in the parking lot after the game by telling him the reason he couldn't call balls and strikes was because he was "a slant eyed gook".  That parent was knocked on his ass by said umpire. Don't blame him one bit either.

Last James Street CSB.

About 10 years after I stopped umpiring I was in a SWA flight from Austin to Vegas. I was sitting in a window seat near the rear and Street came in and sat on the aisle leaving the middle seat open. As people walk past us I put shit in that middle seat and tried to encroach in the middle area as much as possible to dissuade someone from sitting in between us. Street looks over and said I appreciate what you're doing but I think this is a full flight. Eventually an old lady came and sat between us and she started bragging about how successful her kids were and asked James what he did and about his children. He congratulated her on their success and said that he was proud of his kids but never once mentioned who he was, or that his son Huston was the closer for the fucking A's at the time.

Just an all around good guy and greater Longhorn. RIP 16.

Another story I totally forgot about.  When I was the head coach of a flag football team (this same group of boys) years ago when they were kindergartners, back then we were good too, but I’m more in charge of protecting the whole bunch without a separate, paid coach. And these kids are like my own. Anyway, we win handily and there is almost a fight between one of the high school refs and the opposing coach. I was 37-38 at the time and this guy was 45-50, huge and a meathead. He was yelling and cussing at this 16-yo ref - all in front of 6 year old boys. The ref had had enough and resorted to antagonizing this meathead. I don’t think he thought the guy would actually do anything, but I knew this guy had lost it and was looking for a reason to beat the kid’s ass and he was providing plenty of ammo. I turned my back to the coach and said “you are about to get your ass kicked if you keep smarting off to this guy.  Turn around and walk to the parking lot.”  He did, but kept turning around to talk. I had to escort him to his car. 

I’d estimate in 75% of games in which I’m either the head coach or assistant coach, there is some conflict with the umps from one of the head coaches. In 50% there is conflict between the coaches. In 25%, the parents are mouthing off considerably. In 2%, the parents are loudly talking shit to each other. In 1% of cases, there’d be the potential to come to blows if cooler heads did not prevail.  This is probably 300 games. 

29 minutes ago, XForce said:

Richardson has sketchy areas near Berkner but it’s not Garland. 

Does Garland have the Taliban?  I rest my case. 

Edited by Rex Kramer

Parents suck in the aggregate.  News reel at 10pm.

The percentage of parents who vocalize or demonstrate their unhealthy emotional investment in their kids' athletics has increased.  Hell, in the 70's and 80's some parents didn't even go to games.  There were extreme cases back then too, but the volume of the entire room has been turned up at these events.  It's a rising tide with even passive or uninvested (in the actual outcome) parents frequently showing their ass out of a sense of protection for their kid.

There's a perceived social standing or status that a lot of these parents now strive to achieve based on the kid's/team's results.  It feeds on itself, and social media certainly doesn't help.  "Select-ball mom" and "travel-team dad" have become the Karen's of the sports world.

My all-time favorite was the never-seen-a-baseball-game-dad...pocket protector in place-literally....wanted to fight me for telling my little league team that his kid sucked. 

It took his kid's coach and league admin about an hour to explain the game to him in enough detail that he understood "Get the easy out." didn't mean his kid sucked, but rather that my team had a force out at any base.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Another story I totally forgot about.  When I was the head coach of a flag football team (this same group of boys) years ago when they were kindergartners, back then we were good too, but I’m more in charge of protecting the whole bunch without a separate, paid coach. And these kids are like my own. Anyway, we win handily and there is almost a fight between one of the high school refs and the opposing coach. I was 37-38 at the time and this guy was 45-50, huge and a meathead. He was yelling and cussing at this 16-yo ref - all in front of 6 year old boys. The ref had had enough and resorted to antagonizing this meathead. I don’t think he thought the guy would actually do anything, but I knew this guy had lost it and was looking for a reason to beat the kid’s ass and he was providing plenty of ammo. I turned my back to the coach and said “you are about to get your ass kicked if you keep smarting off to this guy.  Turn around and walk to the parking lot.”  He did, but kept turning around to talk. I had to escort him to his car. 

I’d estimate in 75% of games in which I’m either the head coach or assistant coach, there is some conflict with the umps from one of the head coaches. In 50% there is conflict between the coaches. In 25%, the parents are mouthing off considerably. In 2%, the parents are loudly talking shit to each other. In 1% of cases, there’d be the potential to come to blows if cooler heads did not prevail.  This is probably 300 games. 

Does Garland have the Taliban?  I rest my case. 

As someone that grew up in Garland, I can inform on the "hoodness" of Berkner.  A lot of Lake Highlands area kids go to Berkner.  That part of Lake Highlands is the worst area as far as crime goes in the whole of the metroplex.  Serious Blood territory

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, rantanamo said:

As someone that grew up in Garland, I can inform on the "hoodness" of Berkner.  A lot of Lake Highlands area kids go to Berkner.  That part of Lake Highlands is the worst area as far as crime goes in the whole of the metroplex.  Serious Blood territory

Nah Helobius grew up in the Valley and informed us Berkner is the Bel-Air of Dallas. 

8 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Parents suck in the aggregate.  News reel at 10pm.

The percentage of parents who vocalize or demonstrate their unhealthy emotional investment in their kids' athletics has increased.  Hell, in the 70's and 80's some parents didn't even go to games.  There were extreme cases back then too, but the volume of the entire room has been turned up at these events.  It's a rising tide with even passive or uninvested (in the actual outcome) parents frequently showing their ass out of a sense of protection for their kid.

There's a perceived social standing or status that a lot of these parents now strive to achieve based on the kid's/team's results.  It feeds on itself, and social media certainly doesn't help.  "Select-ball mom" and "travel-team dad" have become the Karen's of the sports world.

My all-time favorite was the never-seen-a-baseball-game-dad...pocket protector in place-literally....wanted to fight me for telling my little league team that his kid sucked. 

It took his kid's coach and league admin about an hour to explain the game to him in enough detail that he understood "Get the easy out." didn't mean his kid sucked, but rather that my team had a force out at any base.

Wow!  Will rep you when I can. 

35 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

Where exactly is that part of Lake Highlands?  Give me a couple of intersections.  Because worst area in the metroplex is a little over the top.  I graduated from Berkner, live on the west side of Richardson currently, and my sister lives walking distance to LHHS.

Edited by conVINCEd

On 8/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Hood pride gangster crap.  To quote myself from another thread ...

here

"hood pride gangster crap"? jesus christ trumpy, gtfo with that shit. as if the psychology behind this shooting is any different than that behind the the redneck retard who shot and killed his step kids' dad for trying to pick up his children at their scheduled time. i know WAY more trump worshiping redneck retards who pack heat everywhere just wishing someone would give them a reason to blast than i do "hood gangster black dudes" pulling this type of hypersensitive bullshit.  keep your idiotic racist takes to yourself and sit this one out.

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"hood pride gangster crap"? jesus christ trumpy, gtfo with that shit. as if the psychology behind this shooting is any different than that behind the the redneck retard who shot and killed his step kids' dad for trying to pick up his children at their scheduled time. i know WAY more trump worshiping redneck retards who pack heat everywhere just wishing someone would give them a reason to blast than i do "hood gangster black dudes" pulling this type of hypersensitive bullshit.  keep your idiotic racist takes to yourself and sit this one out.

I don’t disagree with that point, but the Talibs are kind of a special case.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

keep your idiotic racist takes to yourself and sit this one out.

You seem a little triggered.  Where is the racist stuff?  Besides in your mind of course.  "Hood pride", "neck pride" hell maybe even gay pride.  Who cares?  The black and/or white gangster crap is equal opportunity.  Fill in the blanks "________ pride gangster crap"  It's still just gangster crap. 

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t disagree with that point, but the Talibs are kind of a special case.

sure, but this idiot who i quoted was specifically responding tho this question:

"someone explain to me the psychology of a person who shoots and kills someone over peewee football."

pronghorn's "oh it's just that hood gangster crap" is blatantly racist, completely stupid, and just straight up wrong. hence the example(s) cited.

to essentially say that only "hood gangster" aka black people are capable of acting this way is fucking retarded, especially when most of us live in Texas, surrounded by millions of open carry trump loving patriots who wake up in the morning praying for a reason to shoot someone. it has nothing to do with "hood gangster" shit, and everything to do with being a scared, insecure person who can't handle the rigors of basic everyday life. sadly, many of these people become police officers. 

Edited by shadow_operative