Pens - Writing Instruments

I know some of y’all are old enough to remember when we wrote more than we typed. We actually signed a document with a writing instrument versus a digital signature.

I wanted to gift someone a very nice pen who will be in a position of having to sign many documents.

I’ve been looking at Montblanc, S.T. Dupont and Caran d’Ache. Should I go roller or ballpoint? Hoping to maybe find a place I can try them out. Any thoughts would be great for those who appreciate well-crafted pens.

I use uniball pens exclusively…this is just a gift and wanted it to be a nice keepsake for a family member.

TYIA

13 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I thought this might be cool too. I just remember my first fountain and ink everywhere. Maybe it’s gotten better?

I mean, you can't sling em around, but you can get a good one with a nice mechanism and it won't leak.

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-Best-Fountain-Pens-for-Every-Budget/pt/368

• Hook 'Em 1

Waterman rollerball here.  I want a Montblanc, but can't justify that price, considering I would probably lose it.  Maybe someday I'll get one.

I prefer rollerball to ballpoint.  

I used cheap fountain pens in college (well over 30 years ago) but quit the practice not long after graduation.  They wrote well, but as a southpaw, they can tend to be messy if you don't pay attention.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I know some of y’all are old enough to remember when we wrote more than we typed. We actually signed a document with a writing instrument versus a digital signature.

I wanted to gift someone a very nice pen who will be in a position of having to sign many documents.

I’ve been looking at Montblanc, S.T. Dupont and Caran d’Ache. Should I go roller or ballpoint? Hoping to maybe find a place I can try them out. Any thoughts would be great for those who appreciate well-crafted pens.

I use uniball pens exclusively…this is just a gift and wanted it to be a nice keepsake for a family member.

TYIA

1. ballpoints are stupid and write like shit

2. fountains are cool if you're into that, but practicality is bleh (ink dryout, bleeding, etc)

3a. on brand vs brand, within a class of pen, ultimately these are luxury goods so the only distinguishing things are all personal and sort of abstract.

3b. lamy 2000 is a classic modern design, is really hefty, and feels nice in the hand.

• Hook 'Em 2

Montblanc are lovely writing instruments and I agree with @Francisco 2.0 that the Waterman products are nice, too. Cross is another one (the luxury line) that have a good heft/feel to them when writing. I've used fountain, ball-point and roller and honestly if I'm doing a lot of writing, the roller ball is my preference these days. If it is just for signatures or a short note, then fountain because I can write 'pretty.' Ball point for checks (I know, I know, who writes those these days?!)

If you want to get really into it, check out  Onoto, unless you've already ruled them out. They have some great pieces. https://onoto.com/collections/

I would have a hard time picking a favorite, although the pens from the Aviator, the Shakespeare, and the Magna Classic Pearl collections are the leaders.

• Hook 'Em 3

My favorite ballpoint is Parker.  Almost as smooth and effortless as rollerball, but don't bleed if it gets wet or you smear it.  Cross are pretty decent too.

An underrated one is the Fisher Space Pen.  It's pressurized, so it writes at any angle, and has less viscous ink than most ballpoints, so it's flowy.  They're not super-spendy and a little unique.  Make a pretty good gift.

• Hook 'Em 1

You mention that your giftee will be signing many documents. If signature is the main use, you might include a couple of different nibs with the pen. There are various widths and even calligraphy nibs. You can create your own special signature by changing to a different nib and practicing a little. I liked using a fountain pen because it sort of "forced" me to write more slowly which gave me time to think about what I was writing. I enjoy writing personal notes and people seemed to respond positively, knowing that I had taken time to write a note which was obviously personal. Of course, there is a time and place for the speed and simplicity of an email, but I think there is also a time and place for a handwritten greeting.

My favorite pen is a Parker Duofold International in Pearl and Black. They have been out of production for several years, but there are plenty on ebay. You didn't mention price point. The Duofold must be pretty collectable because they have doubled in price since I bought mine, but you don't have to spend big bucks. Levenger makes several attractive and functional pens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:02 PM, Parliament said:

Zebra G402

I’ve had the same Zebra F402 since 1997.  Refilled it a couple times.  The rubber pad isn’t as snug as it used to be. Great pen though.  It’s relegated to desk duty now and I go months at a time without sitting at my desk so it doesn’t get much use.  In my work bag I keep a stash of Sheraton and Marriot pens for daily drivers because I’m classy like that.  

Edited by Your Mom