Eugene, Oregon

FartingDreamer

I will be going to Eugene, Oregon in mid-September for the BYU @ Oregon game and plan to visit some of the cool parts of town.  Eugene has about 16  interesting craft beer breweries and I plan to spend the day before the game visiting a few of them as well as some of the sites and places of Eugene and around UO campus.  

Does anybody here have any recommendations? 

I'll post a review of each of the places I visit along with some pics.  I might even throw in some pics of the UO "wildlife" (aka coeds and cheerleaders) for good measure.  

7 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

What is Bend like?  What spots on the coast?

Bend is amazing.  High desert, on the dry side with a collection of beautiful volcanoes to the west.  Great collection of breweries, great restaurants, amazing outdoor adventures (Newberry Crater should be a National Park.)

I’m sure there is a thread for Bend / Sisters / Sunriver here.  The Oregon Coast I know has a few threads.

Eugene sucks IMO.  Game time only type of place.

• Hook 'Em 1

How much time and what are you interested in?

Eugene certainly isn’t Bend, but it sure as hell isn’t Manhattan, KS.

You will definitely deal with a lot  less tourists in Eugene than Bend in the plus column.  There are plenty of outdoor adventures near Eugene, it just depends on what you want to do.  Hell it’s not much further to Crater Lake from Eugene than it is from Bend if that’s your interest.

• Hook 'Em 1

We went to the Worlds track meet last month and drove to Bend from Boise and then to Eugene the next night. I had been to Portland and Astoria before but this was my first time down in the southern part or Oregon.

(I had never been to either Boise or Bend before, but each was exactly what I pictured the other to be. Boise is hot desert and very flat, kind of like Lubbock. Bend is supposed to be in the desert but felt a lot more alpine.)

Bend was awesome and was one of the most scenic cities I've ever visited. Would like to go back there and spend more time in the future.

Went here for dinner in Bend and it was great: https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-pizza-and-brew-bend

The drive over the mountains to Eugene the next day was pretty cool. Lots more traffic on that road than I had anticipated, but very very scenic. 

Did not care much for Eugene but admittedly didn't spend a lot of time there. My immediate impression was that it reminded me a lot of Ann Arbor. Much more dense and urban and older than I expected. The portion right around the UO campus felt very much like an east coast college town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

We went to the Worlds track meet last month and drove to Bend from Boise and then to Eugene the next night. I had been to Portland and Astoria before but this was my first time down in the southern part or Oregon.

(I had never been to either Boise or Bend before, but each was exactly what I pictured the other to be. Boise is hot desert and very flat, kind of like Lubbock. Bend is supposed to be in the desert but felt a lot more alpine.)

Bend was awesome and was one of the most scenic cities I've ever visited. Would like to go back there and spend more time in the future.

Went here for dinner in Bend and it was great: https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-pizza-and-brew-bend

The drive over the mountains to Eugene the next day was pretty cool. Lots more traffic on that road than I had anticipated, but very very scenic. 

Did not care much for Eugene but admittedly didn't spend a lot of time there. My immediate impression was that it reminded me a lot of Ann Arbor. Much more dense and urban and older than I expected. The portion right around the UO campus felt very much like an east coast college town. 

I don't know about Bend being the most scenic city, but it's definitely an outdoorsy city. I think Sisters is more scenic, and good for a stay. It has an old town aesthetic, with 3 mountains looking down. It's also not too far from Bend anyways.

14 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Not sure you actually went to Boise. There are foothills and mountain surrounding the entire city. It is high desert just like Bend but calling it flat and like Lubbock is just plain stupid.

Winter Driving Safety | City of Boise

Edited by shnsajax

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Not sure you actually went to Boise. There are foothills and mountain surrounding the entire city. It is high desert just like Bend but calling it flat and like Lubbock is just plain stupid.

Winter Driving Safety | City of Boise

You mean this Boise?

image.jpeg.78c739dd808e728268d830bc28a5f1ac.jpeg

The Boise with those same buildings in your picture but without the ultra telephoto lens?

image.png.d1fda72620f6c0beee78f556f57ef745.png

The one that is dry and flat and abuts the mountains but isn't in the mountains itself?

image.png.648411404fdad4bc1bfbf30cf1da30a4.png

image.png.a2d9d1158fc315f368fcc9cc7fdc2889.png

I'm sorry, you're right. You can see mountains from Boise, but you can't see them in Lubbock. Therefore it's a ludicrous comparison. 

Fucking shaggy.

image.jpeg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Yes, its a ludicrous comparison. I can be on Bogus Basin skiing from my house within 30 minutes. There are houses 500ft higher in elevation than my house less than 1 mile away. Sorry, you drove on a flat road for a couple mile stretch and make terrible assumptions. 

27 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Yes, its a ludicrous comparison. I can be on Bogus Basin skiing from my house within 30 minutes. There are houses 500ft higher in elevation than my house less than 1 mile away. Sorry, you drove on a flat road for a couple mile stretch and make terrible assumptions. 

I mean 84 is pretty boring till you get to Oregon.

• 2 weeks later...

For breweries in Eugene, my 3 current recommendations would be:

Coldfire Brewing:  they have some quality brews and a collection of food trucks parked in the back.  Each of the food trucks I have tried have been in the upper echelon for Eugene.

Oakshire Public House:  They have some of their regular selections but also some of their more experimental brews to try at this location on the edge of the Whitaker Neighborhood.  A food truck or two can be parked their.  The food truck schedule seemed to rotate and their quality could vary a little more.

Ninkasi Brewing: They started smaller and developed into a large production facility.  They built a patio and tasting room off one of their buildings but have recently built the Ninkasi Better Living Room which has their beer and also a nice restaurant.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alesong Brewing.  May not be open to general public but on a membership plan.  They do some REALLY unique things.  Aging beer in different wine or whiskey barrels, adding different fruits/flowers, using different hops.  They are good at what they do, but do not go there expecting to get a straightforward lager, pilsner etc.  There will be twists and turns.  They are located in a rural area by some of the wineries.

There are quite a few solid choices for taphouses to choose from.  Some have a base that consists of their own product and then add other products.  Other taphouses just carry a variety of beers and don't actually brew.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One I forgot about that is across the river in Springfield and criminally under-publicized.

https://www.publichousehub.com/

A church that was converted to other uses. Partially a taphouse, partially a commercial kitchen space that leases to people who are starting their culinary business and an attached whiskey bar.

I would spend a few hours here the afternoon or night before gameday.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's been a bit, but I did an Oregon lap from Portland to Hood down to Eugene to the coast and back up to Cannon Beach before heading back to Portland.  I found the Willamette Valley (hey to lots of great red wine) and the coast absolutely gorgeous.  Try one of the small towns like Newport that are maybe 90 minutes away from Eugene if for nothing more than an afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1