Anyone Roadtripped Baja Sur?

ATexanAbroad

In a couple weeks, I am heading to La Paz and doing a 7 day roadtrip. I don't really have much planned. I have read about Todos Santos, La Paz, and Loreto being a Puebla Magica.

If anyone has any cool recs for small towns, beaches, views, nature, etc would be appreciated. 

I still have a rental house in La Paz, lived there for 6 months. We were there last week and it's hotter than balls right now. I don't plan on going back until November.

La Paz, Mulege, Loreto and La Ventana are worth a visit. Todos Santos is infested with douchebag hippies and trustafarians. It's the Tulum of Baja.

Mexico has 130+ Pueblos Magicos and half of them are randomly selected shitholes.

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I still have a rental house in La Paz, lived there for 6 months. We were there last week and it's hotter than balls right now. I don't plan on going back until November.

La Paz, Mulege, Loreto and La Ventana are worth a visit. Todos Santos is infested with douchebag hippies and trustafarians. It's the Tulum of Baja.

Mexico has 130+ Pueblos Magicos and half of them are randomly selected shitholes.

Well fuck me, I despise Tulum, so we shall see what I do. We are staying at the Baja Club in La Paz. Heard really good things about it. Have any recos for places to eat or places to go out?

I’ve driven from CA to Geurrero Negro twice to surf.  That town itself kinda sucks but there are just endless vacant point breaks north of it where you can camp, surf and fish in almost solitude.  Highly recommend. 

I also don’t mind Todos, but it’s been a few years (‘19 I think) and maybe now it’s overrun.  At that time we went to a street carnival in their old town square and ate $0.50 tacos with $1.00 beers and watched a band play off the alternator of a running ‘94 Suburban with maaaaybe three other white people in attendance.  The Baja coast is pretty close to paradise and is something like 90% undeveloped which is the complete opposite of Southern California.  

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I’ve driven from CA to Geurrero Negro twice to surf.  That town itself kinda sucks but there are just endless vacant point breaks north of it where you can camp, surf and fish in almost solitude.  Highly recommend. 

I also don’t mind Todos, but it’s been a few years (‘19 I think) and maybe now it’s overrun.  At that time we went to a street carnival in their old town square and ate $0.50 tacos with $1.00 beers and watched a band play off the alternator of a running ‘94 Suburban with maaaaybe three other white people in attendance.  The Baja coast is pretty close to paradise and is something like 90% undeveloped which is the complete opposite of Southern California.  

Not to mention the landscape. Covid really hit Mexico hard, they never required a single entry requirement and didnt close for a single day. The whole world was there during covid and I feel like all the quiet spots in Mexico really became discovered. Tulum was an absolute nightmare and I wouldnt be surprised if some of that carried over to Todo if what is said is true. I will do some investigation and post pics.

12 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Well fuck me, I despise Tulum, so we shall see what I do. We are staying at the Baja Club in La Paz. Heard really good things about it. Have any recos for places to eat or places to go out?

Baja Club is cool, it's my girlfriends favorite place to get drinks on the roof for sunset. Next door is Harker Board, they have good food and a big beer selection. 

Mariscos Los Laureles is farther north up the malecon, has great ceviche. McFisher is 2 blocks east of the malecon and is our goto for grilled fish and Baja Tacos. Nim is behind Aramburo and has a cool eclectic menu. Gorditas El Cacheton at the NB Mercado for gorditas, chili rellenos and tortas.

Balandra is the beach to visit, but it's usually crowded, so go early. Tecolote beach is around the corner from it and where we usually hang out.

Depending on when you go, whales and whale sharks may be around, I have a good contact for tours.

You can snorkel with the sea lions most months, that's a blast. I use these guys. Nacho is the owner. https://sealionsdive.com/en/

Some pics:

morning mlecon.jpg

tacos.jpg

bird lunch.jpg

tecolote van.jpg

el cacheton.jpg

harker.jpg

seal dog toy.jpg

all dogs tecolote March 2022.jpg

tecolote in the water.jpg

amelie cabo pulmo.jpg

aramburo valentines day.jpg

tecolote kayaks.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Baja Club is cool, it's my girlfriends favorite place to get drinks on the roof for sunset. Next door is Harker Board, they have good food and a big beer selection. 

Mariscos Los Laureles is farther north up the malecon, has great ceviche. McFisher is 2 blocks east of the malecon and is our goto for grilled fish and Baja Tacos. Nim is behind Aramburo and has a cool eclectic menu. Gorditas El Cacheton at the NB Mercado for gorditas, chili rellenos and tortas.

Balandra is the beach to visit, but it's usually crowded, so go early. Tecolote beach is around the corner from it and where we usually hang out.

Depending on when you go, whales and whale sharks may be around, I have a good contact for tours.

You can snorkel with the sea lions most months, that's a blast. I use these guys. Nacho is the owner. https://sealionsdive.com/en/

Some pics:

morning mlecon.jpg

tacos.jpg

bird lunch.jpg

tecolote van.jpg

el cacheton.jpg

harker.jpg

seal dog toy.jpg

amelie cabo pulmo.jpg

tecolote kayaks.jpg

Hell yes, i'm going in 2 weeks! i know its off season but kind of why i'm choosing it. thanks for the recs.

Latinas are the best, did you meet her down there? Did you retire down there or are you remote working?

Edited by ATexanAbroad

32 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Hell yes, i'm going in 2 weeks! i know its off season but kind of why i'm choosing it. thanks for the recs.

Latinas are the best, did you meet her down there? Did you retire down there or are you remote working?

Met her in Playa in 2020, just doing remote work all over Mexico.

Just ask here if you need more BCS recs, I've traveled around/lived there a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Met her in Playa in 2020, just doing remote work all over Mexico.

Just ask here if you need more BCS recs, I've traveled around/lived there a lot.

Nice I have done remote work probably for 6 months over the past 2 1/2 years in Mexico in different places. Looking forward to Baja because I just can’t do the crowds anymore. 

12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Some pics:

morning mlecon.jpg

tacos.jpg

bird lunch.jpg

tecolote van.jpg

el cacheton.jpg

harker.jpg

seal dog toy.jpg

amelie cabo pulmo.jpg

tecolote kayaks.jpg

Cbs Live Your Best Life GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 3:57 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

Nice I have done remote work probably for 6 months over the past 2 1/2 years in Mexico in different places. Looking forward to Baja because I just can’t do the crowds anymore. 

FYI, Balandra beach is all fucked right now (and closed). Some assholes anchored offshore, got drunk, set their giant yacht on fire and all the burnt shit is washing up onto Balandra.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, rage-a-holic said:

FYI, Balandra beach is all fucked right now (and closed). Some assholes anchored offshore, got drunk, set their giant yacht on fire and all the burnt shit is washing up onto Balandra.

Haha wow, sounds like quite the night. I am in the lounge in Monterrey waiting for my flight. Will be in Cabo tonight and leaving first thing in the morning for Todos Santos or whatever it is called. Pretty excited for this hotel, built on the side of a cliff south of town. Here is a view from one of the rooms. 

https://www.villaslamarbaja.com/gallery

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.49.36 PM.png

Edited by ATexanAbroad