Back the FBI Sign

I was mulling over the idea that the Left should probably take this opportunity to put out some signs that say "Back the FBI" and when I did a search, holy shit, the right wingers have certainly co-opted the idea of signs mentioning the FBI.

The only decent one was one that said something like "FBI" (Female Body Inspector).

In any case, there is probably too much water under the bridge for the left to comfortably embrace a pro-law enforcement sign on the front lawn. 

But has anyone seen such a positive sign.  Or even one that is more generic - Back Good Law Enforcement (Even if Federal).

(The Back the Blue fucktards have ruined it for the rest of us.)

14 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Also I guess I missed why the left can't comfortably support the FBI. Is it because they oppose cops shooting unarmed people?

History doesn’t look kindly on blackmailing MLK Jr and pressuring him to kill himself just to name one shitty thing

I think taking a position of "backing" a huge group of people comes at the cost of holding them accountable.  You can't "back the FBI" and then turnaround and say that some of them should be fired.  And certainly there are people in the FBI, not connected to the Trump situation, who have done shit they should be fired for. 

Saying "I support the FBI," especially right now, implies that regardless of the situation, regardless of the actions, you have picked the people you are supporting, frequently against another group of people, regardless of the particulars of the situation.  I save that kind of backing for family, and even that has limits. 

I support laws.  I support the objective, fair enforcement of those laws.  That includes the laws that limit the FBI.  

To me, the "If they can do it him, they can do it to anybody" is great insight into the Republican mindset regarding criminal justice.  You don't see Republicans saying that about victims of police violence, like Breonna Taylor or George Floyd.  Because they know it's not true.  There is a social hierarchy, and they see black and poor people near the bottom of that hierarchy.  Their major defense comes down to why Taylor and Floyd should be subject to the violence - Floyd with his past criminal issues and Taylor because she once dated someone a criminal. It's okay if the police victimize folks lower down, because they wouldn't dare do it to a middle class white guy.  But with Trump, their concern is the cops are going after a rich white guy.  That's a fear the GOP can exploit.  If they go after Trump, then no one is safe.  To them, the disproportionate impact of police violence is what makes it acceptable, or even desired. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I was mulling over the idea that the Left should probably take this opportunity to put out some signs that say "Back the FBI" and when I did a search, holy shit, the right wingers have certainly co-opted the idea of signs mentioning the FBI.

The only decent one was one that said something like "FBI" (Female Body Inspector).

In any case, there is probably too much water under the bridge for the left to comfortably embrace a pro-law enforcement sign on the front lawn. 

But has anyone seen such a positive sign.  Or even one that is more generic - Back Good Law Enforcement (Even if Federal).

home alone hd GIF

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Fuck no to the counter cult.

Yup. Fealty and worship through branding is their thing, becasue they are brandead human garbage. I'll have a sign in my yard for governor and senate for the next few months and then nothing until the next election cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

put out some signs that say "Back the FBI" and when I did a search, holy shit, the right wingers have certainly co-opted the idea of signs mentioning the FBI.

When I was a rebellious young Coastie during refresher training with the Navy, I may have offer a member of the Fleet Training Group a $100 for his cover.

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I think we should take to prancing around like Little Lord Fauntleroy and stealing signs we disagree with instead.

/S

Props for LLF.  My aunt used to say that a lot.  Haven't thought about it in years.

Like every successful business idea, you need to pivot.

”Ron’s Country” is the perfect sign to create a wedge to drive between Republicans and Trump supporters that would generate money. The play on Gods country, dueling Florida manses, and Ron DeSantis is a clear moneymaker.

but you can’t do any of that without my blessing. Message board posts are protected Intellectual Property and you can’t take it from me. However my DMs are open to investors.

10 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

ha gay GIF

15 hours ago, Tuco said:

I think taking a position of "backing" a huge group of people comes at the cost of holding them accountable.  You can't "back the FBI" and then turnaround and say that some of them should be fired.  And certainly there are people in the FBI, not connected to the Trump situation, who have done shit they should be fired for. 

Saying "I support the FBI," especially right now, implies that regardless of the situation, regardless of the actions, you have picked the people you are supporting, frequently against another group of people, regardless of the particulars of the situation.  I save that kind of backing for family, and even that has limits. 

I support laws.  I support the objective, fair enforcement of those laws.  That includes the laws that limit the FBI.  

To me, the "If they can do it him, they can do it to anybody" is great insight into the Republican mindset regarding criminal justice.  You don't see Republicans saying that about victims of police violence, like Breonna Taylor or George Floyd.  Because they know it's not true.  There is a social hierarchy, and they see black and poor people near the bottom of that hierarchy.  Their major defense comes down to why Taylor and Floyd should be subject to the violence - Floyd with his past criminal issues and Taylor because she once dated someone a criminal. It's okay if the police victimize folks lower down, because they wouldn't dare do it to a middle class white guy.  But with Trump, their concern is the cops are going after a rich white guy.  That's a fear the GOP can exploit.  If they go after Trump, then no one is safe.  To them, the disproportionate impact of police violence is what makes it acceptable, or even desired. 

So much of this. Look, the FBI and all feds don’t need a sign, they don’t need backing, they don’t need to become a cause for any political wing— even though it is the crazy wing of the right that made them one in the first place.

Feds, including the FBI, need to be boring and to have oversight and to be “backed” in the same way you “back” your local water treatment facility. Expect competence, expect it to work, and get upset when it doesn’t. Otherwise don’t think about them too much. 

One of the most insidious things the GOP has done is unwinding decades of work to make the federal workforce boring, competent, functional, and de-politicized. When you build a platform on the thesis that “government is bad,” it’s just a small step to “let’s make government bad to support our thesis.” 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1