Tim Burton’s Wednesday (Addams Family, Netflix, Catherine Zeta Jones)

atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Shocked this isn’t getting roasted. I liked it fine but figured Surl would be tearing it up. What a hot chick can do

It was predictable at times but paid great homage to the original subject matter and is just a fun show. It’s not easy to find an actress that looks hot while dressing like an amish schoolgirl the entire time but they made the perfect choice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

It was predictable at times but paid great homage to the original subject matter and is just a fun show. It’s not easy to find an actress that looks hot while dressing like an amish schoolgirl the entire time but they made the perfect choice. 

It's easier than you think.

Finished it. I love that Netflix gave us great content that is family friendly. The story and horror was very much tuned for tweens which I appreciate because I can’t handle real horror and the goofified Hyde and baddies were fun.

Like someone said it was like Harry Potter at Hogwarts meets X-Men First Class meets a 90’s WB teen coming of age show filtered through a gothic/emo lens with the main protagonist learning the ropes of how to be a gumshoe.

What I didn’t like: The Fester character, the Bianca/Siren character, and the Luis Guzman casting. Thought the latter was a huge miss.

Granted I’m not familiar with the Gomez Addams mannerisms or behaviors in the comic strip but to me Luis Guzman was sloppy fat and looked horrible in his suit. Further nothing about him seemed like an outcast with any powers or ability and even the overly affectionate calling card came off as forced and weak. 

By the way, read that this show is Netflix's most watched English speaking show (re: behind Squid Games) and is #1 for two weeks running after briefly losing it's spot to the Harry and Meghan drama. This will also potentially get more views than Stranger Things S4 which would be saying something.

That is great news for those of us who are desiring this PG-13 content for family viewing as before you had to go to Disney+ and watch a bunch of comic book or star wars stuff or rehashed concepts for original content. Though to be fair, Wednesday can be considered rehashed content as well.

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does this mean the audience is English speaking?  

“Wednesday,” the macabre Jenna Ortega-starring series that reimagines the beloved Addams character, has entered Netflix’s Most Popular List of English-language TV series at No. 3 after just two weeks of viewership. Since its premiere on Nov. 23, the murder mystery dramedy has amassed 752.2 million hours, replacing the spot previously held by “Bridgerton” Season 2. The show is behind only “Stranger Things 4,” at 1.4 billion hours viewed, and “Dahmer,” at 856.2 million hours viewed.

In its second week leading the Top 10 list, “Wednesday” racked up another 411.3 million hours viewed, beating its own record as the most-viewed English show in a single week. Per the streamer, it’s reached nearly 115 million households since its debut. The series was also No. 1 in 89 countries.

https://www.thewrap.com/wednesday-netflix-show-most-popular-list/amp/

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Granted I’m not familiar with the Gomez Addams mannerisms or behaviors in the comic strip but to me Luis Guzman was sloppy fat and looked horrible in his suit. Further nothing about him seemed like an outcast with any powers or ability and even the overly affectionate calling card came off as forced and weak. 

I will always prefer John Astin to anyone else | Explore Tumblr Posts and  Blogs | Tumpik

• Hook 'Em 8

I think a lot of us raised in the 90's know Raul Julia's version only, and he was a good looking slick version of Gomez. There have been plenty of other interpretations. Guzman appears similar to the original comic version and the common theme is his romantic obsession with Morticia, which Guzman pulls of well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I think a lot of us raised in the 90's know Raul Julia's version only, and he was a good looking slick version of Gomez. There have been plenty of other interpretations. Guzman appears similar to the original comic version and the common theme is his romantic obsession with Morticia, which Guzman pulls of well.

Yea Julia seemed to be the epic Gomez and Anjelica Huston the perfect Morticia. 

I need to go back and stream some old school TV show Addams family episodes.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great casting. Didn’t really care too much for the siren storyline because it kinda drug and sorta went nowhere. 

Being a geek to the core I loved all the Easter eggs. Every single Burton movie.  Some multiple times. That made watching the series even more enjoyable for me. Seeing all the different Burton movies/movie characters get shout outs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great casting. Didn’t really care too much for the siren storyline because it kinda drug and sorta went nowhere. 

Being a geek to the core I loved all the Easter eggs. Every single Burton movie.  Some multiple times. That made watching the series even more enjoyable for me. Seeing all the different Burton movies/movie characters get shout outs. 

You were the Leo meme watching it, weren’t you? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You were the Leo meme watching it, weren’t you? 

I don’t know what that means but from the opening scene I was unspeakably happy with a reference to Mars Attacks from the jump. After that, I was notating all of the references…I bet I still missed a ton. Some were obvious some obscure but it’s cool they put so much thought into it. I appreciate that.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

please share what you caught 

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

please share what you caught 

Spoiler

I will rewatch this weekend but in the opening scene: Nancy Reagan HS. Then the Nancy Reagan bust. They made a huge deal of Nancy in Mars Attacks)

I put one in spoilers just in case (don’t want to ruin it if anyone hasn’t watched or wants to rewatch with this in mind) but I can make a better list this weekend. The shrunken head on Weems desk (Beetlejuice) and so on. Wednesday wearing the cat woman outfit for Poe Cup (Batman.) some are more clever than others but quite a few are quick site gags. I will make a list this weekend because I’m watching it with a friend who got excited (an equal if not superior dork to me) about the fact that every single movie Burton has been involved with is referenced…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unless I’m just not remembering, Gomez doesn’t really have any importance in the story, other than as the cold case murder suspect. If his character was removed, would it be noticed?

at least fester brought thing back.  

Yeah he’s a major part of one episode but the series is focused on Wednesday (obviously) annd her classmates, the family are side characters. I like the Pugsley kid too.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Yeah he’s a major part of one episode but the series is focused on Wednesday (obviously) annd her classmates, the family are side characters. I like the Pugsley kid too.

What was Pugsley's supernatural power supposed to be? He's not a witch or psychic like his mom and sister, he's not a Gorgon or Vampire or Werewolf or Siren or anything else but a fat, soft loser.

Which is also the problem I had with Luis Guzman's Gomez Addams-- no supernatural or spooky abilities, just a mush-mouthed, fatty in an ill-fitting suit. How is it that he's the only one in the history of Nevermore to not have a cool ability? And if he does have some, why not showcase like we saw with Ferster's electricity.

Edited by HamsterHookah

16 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Which is also the problem I had with Luis Guzman's Gomez Addams-- no supernatural or spooky abilities, just a mush-mouthed, fatty in an ill-fitting suit. How is it that he's the only one in the history of Nevermore to not have a cool ability? And if he does have some, why not showcase like we saw with Ferster's electricity.

Gomez definitely has some sort of sexual superpower thing going on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

What was Pugsley's supernatural power supposed to be? He's not a witch or psychic like his mom and sister, he's not a Gorgon or Vampire or Werewolf or Siren or anything else but a fat, soft loser.

It’s pretty clear you’ve never read the original comics or watched the original show. Gomez never had any supernatural abilities. He’s just the kooky mogul patriarch. Not sure why that’s Luis Guzman’s fault.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

It’s pretty clear you’ve never read the original comics or watched the original show. Gomez never had any supernatural abilities. He’s just the kooky mogul patriarch. Not sure why that’s Luis Guzman’s fault.

I guess because it’s a plot hole that Gomez is the only student in the history of Nevermore to not have a cool supernatural ability. Raul Julia played Gomez as a supreme fighter with hints of psychopath at least.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Gomez definitely has some sort of sexual superpower thing going on. 

Must be this!

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see what happens with season 2.

Amazon now owns the rights to the Addams Family through their acquisition of MGM. I'm sure they would love to yank Netflix's 2nd biggest hit away from them and put it on Prime. Netflix is gonna have to pay through the nose to keep it.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:42 PM, ajax said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with season 2.

Amazon now owns the rights to the Addams Family through their acquisition of MGM. I'm sure they would love to yank Netflix's 2nd biggest hit away from them and put it on Prime. Netflix is gonna have to pay through the nose to keep it.

They renewed it for season 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...