Hotdogs

Armybrat

I haven't had one in a while, but the premade hot dogs from Sam's Club in the Mylar packaging (I don't know if they are the ones at the front of the store or what; we'd get a cooler full of them for parent-teacher night at our kids' old elementary school) are delicious and cheap.

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

This one gave me a laugh.  Not because I doubt their tastiness, but because of the label.

"Gluten free.  No by-products, corn syrup, or fillers."  Geez, this is practically health food.

I went and looked at the ingredients.  At least beef is the 1st ingredient I guess.

Beef, water, dextrose, salt, spices, sodium lactate, garlic, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, paprika and extractive, sodium nitrite

1250mg sodium, 12g saturated fat per dog

Hey!  Just because you read the small print, don’t ruin it for the rest of us … 🤬

BTW, this thread would bring a tear to my wife's eye.  She loves hot dogs.  Many moons ago, when there was a JCI on Congress Avenue, we even went there -- the whole family, on a Saturday -- for her birthday lunch.  JCI cheese coneys and tots for her birthday lunch, she was as happy as could be.  If a good hot dog doesn't put a smile on your face, I don't want to know you.  And neither does Christopher Walken.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

What is everyone’s favorite standard store-bought bun? Last few packages have sucked regardless of brand. 

image.png.fe4ac897f5bdb20f596196a72ca10e7e.png

$3.50 for 12 at costco

image.png.e2594569e2a2175e88e7dad720f70629.png

3$ for 8

the brioche hot dog buns at WF are very good too but they're a rip-off

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ted’s coney islands in Des Moines are killer.

This is my favorite place in Des Moines and I make sure I stop in there every time I'm in town visiting family, but I only ever order the gyro or the pork tenderloin sandwich. Guess I'll have to throw a hot dog into the mix next time. 

I ate a pretty fair share of hot dogs as a kid.  Mom's go-to, and my favorite, I guess, were the standard Oscar-Meyer.  They were beef and pork.

Now their standard is like turkey and chicken and the only other option is all-beef, which is fine, I guess.  I feel like a hot dog should have some swine though.

This is my favorite place in Des Moines and I make sure I stop in there every time I'm in town visiting family, but I only ever order the gyro or the pork tenderloin sandwich. Guess I'll have to throw a hot dog into the mix next time. 

That might be the best fucking gyro on the planet. And nothing is as good as Iowa pork; it tastes like real old timey pork. And those fried pork tenderloin sandwiches are incredible and the size of hubcaps. When I’d be in Des Moines for the week I’d eat lunch there at least three days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We were down at the coast, and had to buy some split-on-top types, maybe Pepperidge Farm, because the HEB was out of all regular buns.  They were pretty good, would buy again.

New England split on top rolls make the hot dog even better, less crust on the sides add for more awesomeness. 

14 hours ago, Atxracer said:

That looks pretty solid.  But, I would still take James Coney Island.  One of the few things I miss from living in Houston.  

If you ever want to have it again, you better hurry. They’re closing them right and left. The one on Hwy 6 just n of Westheimer has been closed for years. The last one inside the loop at Westheimer and Shepherd is gone. The one in Town and Country - gone.

The one just west of the Galleria is still open…. I hope.   

6 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

If you ever want to have it again, you better hurry. They’re closing them right and left. The one on Hwy 6 just n of Westheimer has been closed for years. The last one inside the loop at Westheimer and Shepherd is gone. The one in Town and Country - gone.

The one just west of the Galleria is still open…. I hope.   

ate there 2-3 weeks ago on national chili dog day