2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

Licenses are on sale bitches!  https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/licenses/online_sales/

I went to the duck/deer lease to make some adjustments to our skid blinds (moved two of them) and cleaned up the cabin.  Going back out next weekend to work on the deer blind and do some shredding on the tractor for lanes.  Oldest kid is asking every other week about deer season.  Looking forward to it!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

after many years on the sideline, getting back into bird hunting. picked up a lease down by baffin bay.

anyone else a lifetime license holder ?

I got mine in 08 I think when they were still $1000 (super combo). It's nice now just ordering online and having the app on my phone in case I forget my license dove hunting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven't dove hunted in a few years, went looking online to find a day lease around Austin and almost nada.  Any suggestions from the Surl on where to look?

Have relied on friends with land but over the years folks get old and land gets passed along or sold so it seems harder to find any hunting opportunities.

Edited by Al Czervik

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Haven't dove hunted in a few years, went looking online to find a day lease around Austin and almost nada.  Any suggestions from the Surl on where to look?

Have relied on friends with land but over the years folks get old and land gets passed along or sold so it seems harder to find any hunting opportunities.

Go south toward SA, Lytle, Hondo, Uvalde, etc.  Plenty of decent outfitters.  Some are great.

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

Go south toward SA, Lytle, Hondo, Uvalde, etc.  Plenty of decent outfitters.  Some are great.

Agreed.  The further south the better.  As @deadshank mentioned, there's several outfitters in that area that are solid, and the birds are usually pretty consistent.  Might be tough getting a spot the first few weekends at this point, though.

The only one I know of around here is the Storm Ranch in Dripping Springs.  It's been 5+ years since I dove hunted out there, and it was OK.  Shot maybe 4-5 dove in one evening hunt.  They don't even advertise dove hunts, so not sure if it's something they still offer.  

https://stormranchhunting.com/

Also, it may be too late, but check these guys out if you want a season lease.  Hunted with them for a few years before we bought our place, and had a good experience.  Hunting was hit and miss, but had access to several spots and the reservation system was pretty decent.

https://www.wingedrepublic.com/

Chris In Lytle
(210) 417-7350

Forgot the name of this dove shoot outfitter operation.  Just south of Lytle on east side of IH-35 at their rancho.

Very well organized and super clean. Could stay there to shoot or go off campus.  

Pretty much all WW when I went. 

Clean and package your birds and serve you supper after the evening hunt.  

Lots of local HS kids help out.  Real “yessir / nosir” types so you’re helping put money in the locals’ pockets.   

Not quite hunting, but I'm excited to head out to a deer lease for the first time in probably 5 years tomorrow. My brother got on a lease with some buddies up in Tyler Co. last year and I've been wanting to go check it out and see if it's something I want to try and get on the waiting list for. We're gonna head up there to check  stands and feeders, drink beer, take some target practice and just generally dick around. 

It's East Texas, so not exactly overrun with quality bucks, but there have been some decent 8 pointers taken, and it's an easy drive and cheap-ish as far as leases go. Hell, just having a place only 2.5 hours away from town to spend some Fall weekends at might be worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/25/2022 at 12:35 PM, fluff said:

This isn't a bad outfit if you are looking for a day hunt.  Got invited on a company hunt here last year and it was pretty awesome.

https://www.hondodovehunt.com/rates/

If you go, make sure to stop at Haby's Bakery in Castroville and get you a dozen cowboy cookies for the road.

You can't make recommendations for stopping in Castroville without mentioning Parisa.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

For about 6 weeks or so I've been trying to get to get some pics/video of a black coyote I've seen on my ranch. I used a wild hog carcasses to lure him in and finally got him on camera last night. The infrared flash makes him look quite a bit lighter then when I've seen him in daylight.

Screenshot_20220827-103524_Strike Force Wireless.jpg

Screenshot_20220827-111725_Strike Force Wireless.jpg

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Adding, went out and mowed our lanes last weekend. 3 weeks then disc some seed for the deer.

Went to the duck hunting area and broadcasted golden too (beggars can’t be choosers since brown and jap is hard to find) and compacted that in. Nice little shower there today to get it kick started.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:43 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You can't make recommendations for stopping in Castroville without mentioning Parisa.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This. Sleeve of saltines and a lump of Parisa is good hunting eats. 

What place in Castroville do you lads rec for parisa? @Anastasis don't you have / live at a joint in the area?

(I can figure out the cracker part on my own)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Dzuik's is where I've always stopped, but there may be others that are better. I haven't been out that way for a long time. I always try and plan to take a detour when nearby, but it never works out.

A comment re: Parisa joints from the Steel Shank thread that has stood the test of time.

19 minutes ago, deadshank said:

What place in Castroville do you lads rec for parisa? @Anastasis don't you have / live at a joint in the area?

(I can figure out the cracker part on my own)

Yep. Dzuiks. Jap or no Jap. Go Jap. There are places also in Helotes, Hondo, D'hanis, etc. There use to be other places in Castroville (Dan's, the fn SuperS and whatever it was before that), but I always hit up Dziuks now. I hunt a relative's land right outside of Castroville along the Medina River.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Wrapped up the first morning by 8:45 almost in Pflugerville. It’s been 5 years since I last dove hunted, forgot how sweaty it can be. 

F6067355-C979-4812-9689-48F6999B05D4.jpeg

Is that a left-handed 1100 Wingmaster in 12 gauge?

Give

Give to me

Edited by BHMCruiser
  • Hook 'Em 1