2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

Left the mountain Thursday at 6:30 AM and made it to Roggen, CO at 11:00 PM.  Stopped in Laramie to have supper and a beer at The Library.

Departed Roggen at 6 AM Friday and arrived to my driveway at 12:45 AM Saturday after off loading my driving partner at his place here in HTown. 

Will post full report detailing successes, failures, follies and the updated injury list.  

It has been a long 9 days away and just short of 4000 miles added to the odometer.

The Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness is no country for old men.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Left the mountain Thursday at 6:30 AM and made it to Roggen, CO at 11:00 PM.  Stopped in Laramie to have supper and a beer at The Library.

Departed Roggen at 6 AM Friday and arrived to my driveway at 12:45 AM Saturday after off loading my driving partner at his place here in HTown. 

Will post full report detailing successes, failures, follies and the updated injury list.  

It has been a long 9 days away and just short of 4000 miles added to the odometer.

The Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness is no country for old men.   

GDT: Avalanche vs Wilds 3/26/16, Game 75 - Mile High Hockey

On 9/8/2022 at 3:13 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Congrats @solamente73!  What an amazing animal.  Love everything about the story.  Send more pics and elaborate on the hunt!

Why not?  Gotta do something (other than drink) while waiting for the game to start and for @deadshank to post his epic adventure. Spoilered:

Spoiler

4F1D8DB7-FCFC-4B45-9F9C-9042053445CA.thumb.jpeg.a53d4be36016bec02f43152d19a3fe55.jpeg

24524115-A3BC-44FB-83E3-468D4FD4AEB7.thumb.jpeg.655d58c6081ce7018885170c99c536fc.jpeg

B17E028E-6EC4-48DE-B125-D60237AF797E.thumb.jpeg.d07578c070f4b67af64caf66ace63a95.jpeg

BA6CC593-6711-4F5A-A808-5A4F0E4752D7.thumb.jpeg.a7ea429f39ad6cff3a1125554107e8b1.jpeg

First bull we saw, about 300 yards out.  I was floored.  He quickly disappeared down the backside of the ridge:

9389189D-2CF1-473F-A8B4-79490E80C46D.thumb.jpeg.6f9f9aa28df690e34ffd769641ea3a10.jpeg

Bulls were ganging up as the rut was about to start.  We were about 2-3 weeks early for the prime rut, and it was hot, but we still heard bugling.  You haven’t lived until you’ve heard elk bugling at each other in the morning light, echoing in the canyons.

These were at about 550 yards.  Did not get in position before they disappeared over the ridge into trees:

6EDA9442-D221-4869-B872-721FF649823F.thumb.jpeg.0920cc4762a7214462a1f6ae1ffd1a11.jpeg

These lasered at 730 yards; we lost them in the trees downslope to the right:

858C7192-5181-4A4A-A821-CA5CBAA73696.thumb.jpeg.026e8d4346db50903baecd270e318e18.jpeg

Set-up, hoping and praying that they’d hold the pattern we’d identified the previous couple of days.

571E7CE5-35C2-4243-85DF-52FAC5FB6DCA.thumb.jpeg.c9fcdf690a509f5c3fdcb5e53d6f97d7.jpeg

They did.

DE9E361E-B7CF-48A5-9124-5F32159B4DF9.thumb.jpeg.b52ac05fec8c6c7692247bc353b3596c.jpeg

E030BC86-DE86-4409-B084-572759AFE3BA.thumb.jpeg.0abad145b321a4c996bf69f6a2c1a508.jpeg

9393054A-830D-4FB2-8C18-F7B23E306483.thumb.jpeg.e0c4fc456c678a4e3cc51a0b5baa474a.jpeg

Victory drinks, fellowship, and telling stories around the fire that will last a lifetime.

6CCD6D64-6BA3-4397-8E40-EF95FD4B40E6.thumb.jpeg.ee8c08074eb16a0964f71aa0eec81b82.jpeg

D09D3B0C-1DC1-478D-B098-54961CDFC339.thumb.jpeg.1ccaaded9b25d0dcbd68968522b8ca34.jpeg

We also had the opportunity to help out some bow hunters who connected on an elk but it didn’t go down - they think the arrow hit its left scapula and got little penetration.  My buddy and I did pick up the blood trail, but no joy beyond that.

CEACA618-8F38-4B46-AA06-981A83856F56.thumb.jpeg.54a3a3f3fa7737cf2d54b3bf5a179ae7.jpeg

While we were searching, we literally stumbled on this guy and couldn’t fucking believe it.

D2D1D228-6FB9-4871-A8CF-437057649962.thumb.jpeg.7e84ace846fe4c6762e52b13c3fc002e.jpeg

Insane trip of a lifetime.  The drive to-and-from was gorgeous.  We are fortunate to live in such a beautiful country.  New Mexico on the way home:

CA6B770D-2D00-4453-A563-FA9FCB67D078.thumb.jpeg.7dafec0a9e237fb0dafc1d465180b8aa.jpeg

On 9/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, 686 said:

Any elk steaks consumed yet? What else did the processor work up for you? My go-to quick and easy elk steak recipe from the last year of enjoying them is: defrost steaks, (tenderize with a bladed tenderizer if the processor didn’t) put in 1gallon ziplock bag with ~1/3 cup Fischer Weiser Raspberry Chipotle sauce and ~1-tbs Worchestshire sauce, mix thoroughly and refrigerate ~30 min. Get a good fire going (or gas grill as hot as it will go~ 500+), and cook the steaks over direct heat for ~3 min per side(total only about 6 min, depending on thickness), check internal temp as needed, don’t overcook. The marinade will caramelize, hot fire gives you some crispy outside, comes out nice.

From my freezer, not yet.  I’ve been on-the-go nonstop since we got back and haven’t had a chance to break out recipes.  At my friend’s place we’ve had ribeyes off his Blackstone and some elk roast.  I will definitely try your method on my BGE.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, 686 said:

Yeah that first buck is basically the Texas Trophy Hunters logo. I feel like we just saw $50k worth of deer. Whatever you guys are doing Cajun, it’s working great. That’s an amazing low fence herd.

My guess is what we’re doing right is being surrounded by managed ranches with porous fences.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

How did they taste?

I would tell you, but the landowner had it in the lease agreement that they were not to be shot. So of course, we never shot one…..Not even when we got a certified letter that the land had been sold and we had 60 days to get all of our shit because the new landowner would not be leasing the land to hunters…..
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I would tell you, but the landowner had it in the lease agreement that they were not to be shot. So of course, we never shot one…..Not even when we got a certified letter that the land had been sold and we had 60 days to get all of our shit because the new landowner would not be leasing the land to hunters…..

Did they fly the ranch before it was sold with a biologist?  Hypothetically speaking. 

3 minutes ago, Call said:

Did they fly the ranch before it was sold with a biologist?  Hypothetically speaking. 

No idea. It’s been 2 years this past May, so idk. Probably not though, Alice Walton bought it and she’s a known cheapass and know anti-hunter so I can’t see her having any reason to have a survey done

8 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Finally caught up a bit at work so I’ll post the Idaho elk hunt trip results.   

Four of us went to the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness to hunt elk, mulies, black bear and wolves & mountain lions (if we ran into the last two).

2 guys flew into Missoula and drove a rental to our camp site just a mile away from the fire watch tower atop Hell’s Half Acre Mountain.  

When we got to Darby, MT, the closest town to lay up prior to heading up mountain, there were several ongoing wildfires in and around the 800 square miles we had access to.  The smoke haze was pretty bad but rain was helping to stop the fires and knock down the sample haze as caused by lightning strikes.  

Two bull elk where taken.  One nice 6x6 and an unmentionable small bull.  The elk were very difficult to coax out of the heavy timber.   I did not get an elk nor anything else.  Over the years,  I’ve had it happen before and, while disappointed, I knew it came with the territory.  We bugled a lot and got many replies but no luck for my hunting partner and me.  We were shut out on mulie bucks, as well.  

The terrain was grueling.   Very steep mountains, lots of rocks, extremely heavy timber and a truly astounding amount of deadfall.   The deadfall was brutal. 

No country for old men. 

Every morning we’d be up at 4 AM, eat and try to get the poop out prior to saddling up on mules with our guide and a pack mule bearing our gear and pigged to the guide’s mule.  A 3 hour ride out covering 6 or so miles followed by 5-7 hours of hiking and bugling then 3 hours back made for long days. 

The second night back my hunting partner’s mule spooked and bolted from the hitching post and he held for dear life.  I was already half way off my mule when it took off for parts unknown.   I came off the mule with my left boot trapped in the stirrup.  I looked like Bruce Dern at the end of The Cowboys as is went on a little adventure. My left groin muscle was wrecked and I went on the DL for a day.  

The last day, a storm blew in while traversing a burned out area.  A tree came down and narrowly missed my hunting partner on his mule. All the mules bolted and his went downhill. He came off his steed and broke his left wrist in 4 places and broke his right elbow, too.   He had surgery on the wrist today.  Nice way to finish!!  He couldn’t get back on then mule so he walked back up the last of the switch backs to the fire watch tower were he was picked up in a Jeep and taken to the hospital in Hamilton, MT.  

It is a very beautiful place but unyielding in toughness.  

Cat and elk at Mr. T’s in Darby. 

7A4FC6D2-A143-4DCB-92F0-34204FB22BB8.thumb.jpeg.84a79e4292e20ffe381d29b0c0dbaf7b.jpeg

This post epitomizes what fair chase hunting is all about.  It ain't easy, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

@deadshank did you had to drive the whole way back yourself with your busted up partner riding shotgun? How far did he have to walk out with the broken bones? That must have been tough.

Sorry to hear that it was a tough trip. That looks like some really rough country in those mountain pics.

One of the things that makes a successful hunt so great is knowing just some of the infinite number of things that could have gone wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Hope there was some good food and good bourbon at least.  I know I’d be ready for a drink after 12-14 hrs on a hunt. 

Beautiful country. 

I helped my guide discover the delicious amber nectar of Tullamore Dew.   He is forever in my debt.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 686 said:

@deadshank did you had to drive the whole way back yourself with your busted up partner riding shotgun? How far did he have to walk out with the broken bones? That must have been tough.

Sorry to hear that it was a tough trip. That looks like some really rough country in those mountain pics.

One of the things that makes a successful hunt so great is knowing just some of the infinite number of things that could have gone wrong.

Nope.  Stumps was my hunting partner but he flew in.   The guy that got the 6x6 drove round trip with me.  It was his first elk trip ever.   I’m really happy for him.   It was also my hunting partner’s first elk trip and I promised him he could have first shot.  

I’ve shot plenty and at that stage in my hunting career that I’d rather let the new guys get struck by lightning. 

Stumps had to walk up about a mile of switch backs to the fire watch tower where the rental Jeep awaited.   He’s tough and just wanted someone to tap his can of Copenhagen, open it and spoon feed him a five-finger front end loader.  

It is very rough country.  Again, the deadfall was incredible.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

@deadshank great write up.  Sorry for your partner, but stoked for the guy that dropped the 6x6.  That is definitely some rough, rough country.  

I officially got my NM Hunter's ID yesterday.  Should have my elk tags next week.  Depart 10/13 and back 10/20.  Hunt Sat-Wed.  Will start watching the weather next week.  I'm not 100% sure what to expect, but I do know we're on private land, have a cabin as base camp, and a dedicated guide for the two of us.  Other than that, I'm going in blind.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

@deadshank great write up.  Sorry for your partner, but stoked for the guy that dropped the 6x6.  That is definitely some rough, rough country.  

I officially got my NM Hunter's ID yesterday.  Should have my elk tags next week.  Depart 10/13 and back 10/20.  Hunt Sat-Wed.  Will start watching the weather next week.  I'm not 100% sure what to expect, but I do know we're on private land, have a cabin as base camp, and a dedicated guide for the two of us.  Other than that, I'm going in blind.

Private land is nice.  Will you be using motorized conveyance to get around the ranch and then walk / bugle / sit?

If you're surrounded by or front a side of BLM land, look for a choke point coming off the BLM land, sit and wait for a BLM hunter to torch one off on the BLM side and let the elk come to you.  That always worked for us in CO.

I'm sure you guide will be cow calling to mask your approach on foot and also playing the wind.

Dial your scope down when in timber for close range shots.  You won't have time to dial from high power to low power if they're right on top of you.

Have a great time and let me smell you fingers when you get back.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Private land is nice.  Will you be using motorized conveyance to get around the ranch and then walk / bugle / sit?

If you're surrounded by or front a side of BLM land, look for a choke point coming off the BLM land, sit and wait for a BLM hunter to torch one off on the BLM side and let the elk come to you.  That always worked for us in CO.

I'm sure you guide will be cow calling to mask your approach on foot and also playing the wind.

Dial your scope down when in timber for close range shots.  You won't have time to dial from high power to low power if they're right on top of you.

Have a great time and let me smell you fingers when you get back.  

I think I mentioned it up-thread, but I was a fill-in for a guy who opted for an Alaskan moose hunt, so a spot opened up with a buddy who was on a loooong wait list.  He's been the last two years.  Got 24" of snow the day he arrived year one and didn't see a thing.  Missed an 80-yd shot last year.  I talked him into a rifle hunt this year since I'm not a bow hunter and didn't want to cram practice in and have zero experience when faced with an elk.

From what I understand, we're flanked by BLM and an Rez.  Jeep from camp with the guide based on his scouting reports then walk / bugle / sit / spot / stalk.  They said most shots are within 200-yds and they have a 97% "encounter" rate with rifles.  

Solid advice on the scope.  Much appreciated.  My new Swaro has three settings that I dialed in to 100/200/300, so I'll leave it on that closest range when traversing.  I'm going to have a big hamburger, no a cheeseburger, and a hot dog when I get back.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2