2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

6 hours ago, 686 said:

Great buck and nice guiding! Are you aging off teeth or do you know this buck?

Been watching him for 5 years now.   Have pics and videos of him.   Some have been posted on this board.   

Will still pull his jaw today.  It’s pouring here and won’t go out for a while.  

Edited by deadshank

Been watching him for 5 years now.   Have pics and videos of him.   Some have been posted on this board.   

Will still pull his jaw today.  It’s pouring here and won’t go out for a while.  

That’s cool, always great to put your hands on a deer you’ve been watching for a long time. It will be really interesting to see his teeth. Seeing progressions over the years are great. This was a buck we had a few years ago that showed up on cameras a lot:

3cf2f13337d87afcc851bc8b382f5b16.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

I stared at a bunch of 2.5-3.5 8’s all weekend, some with some great potential.  Have a problem group of hens I need to move along.  Saw one nice super heavy 8 that was solid mature, working his way into post mature.  If I see him again he’ll be a great management buck.  Got to watch a bobcat play for a bit.  Got all 3 girls in the blind and it wasn’t a disaster, as it usually is.  No 170’s to be seen, but I consider the weekend a success.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Hell yes! Idk why, but I dig the unique racks more. I’ve actually seen my dad pass on a buck because he wasn’t perfectly symmetrical. If I had a choice, I’d take the asymmetrical over a perfectly even one all day. Good shootin by the girl!

Yeah that’s kind of our problem on our lease, we have too many deer that look exactly like this. Don’t get me wrong I like a funky rack, but there is something about a nice perfectly symmetrical rack I can’t pass up. But we have too many old 8’s like this that will never get much bigger so we have started removing them. 

• Like 1

Congrats all. Had unexpected circumstances that fucked up my weekend hunting plans but hoping to get out Tuesday/Wednesday to hunt the dry/cold front. Fingers crossed. 

QQ:  is there an advantage to hunting earlier in the season?  I have some solid time off back half of December but was curious what it experience of other folks are in terms of when calendar wise the bucks decide to fuck off/stop coming to the feeder for the year. 

Got back from the 8 day hunt in Benjamin. The rut is on, we saw a bunch of good bucks, all 10 hunters have, at least a 150" class deer coming to their area. The big ones won't go into the feeder pens unless the road corn gets eaten, and they absolutely have to. Here is our "Big Toad". We all looked at pictures and couldn't get him to 5.5 years, so he walks until next year:

Todieside.png

Todierear.png

Toadiefront.png

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Got back from the 8 day hunt in Benjamin. The rut is on, we saw a bunch of good bucks, all 10 hunters have, at least a 150" class deer coming to their area. The big ones won't go into the feeder pens unless the road corn gets eaten, and they absolutely have to. Here is our "Big Toad". We all looked at pictures and couldn't get him to 5.5 years, so he walks until next year:

Todieside.png

Todierear.png

Toadiefront.png

CHIEF

Food, water and time is the only formula. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Those G2’s are easily 14” tall, most likely 16”. Damn G3’s are the tallest I’ve ever seen on a non high fenced property. If that dude survives until next season y’all are gonna have to draw straws or roshambo or something because he’s special

I was the first to see him, he has been to some of the other hunter's feeders, but is on a "no kill" list. Since I was the first to see him,  I get to be the one that shoots him.  If someone is seeing him at their stand, I will hunt their stand to kill him. It's kinda set up that way through a mutual agreement. That way no one gets disappointed and no one else feels like a sheep killin' dog. Preserves friendships, which is what's most important.

I get texts all day, CHIEF, your deer is at my feeder, I figured he ate $1.56 worth of corn, here is my Venmo info. All of these guys own their own business and are really successful, but act dirt poor.

I picked up a carport from my wife's modular building company for $13.18 just to get it off their books. Told the group I expect their $1.32 when we get it here. One asked if he could pay it in installments.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I get texts all day, CHIEF, your deer is at my feeder, I figured he ate $1.56 worth of corn, here is my Venmo info. All of these guys own their own business and are really successful, but act dirt poor.

I picked up a carport from my wife's modular building company for $13.18 just to get it off their books. Told the group I expect their $1.32 when we get it here. One asked if he could pay it in installments.

CHIEF

That is funny stuff.  Cheap bastards. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:41 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

I eat a lot of weird shit. Sushi, cabrito, calf fries, Allsup’s corn dogs, tripas, lengua to name a few. But under absolutely no circumstance will I eat wild pig. Nastiest gotdamned critters.

If you had classified Allsup’s burritos as weird shit this thread would have gone into lockdown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is an old blind out at our place. Guessing ~40’s vintage maybe hauled out to the place in the 60’s and abandoned in the 80’s or so. A solid 30+ years of new growth cedar thicket surrounds it. I found it tracking a deer.

ea1a32af786ec17c7d428d4af9fbbeac.jpg
8cad27560b6c051984753f73b60c906c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

Well I had a nice plan for today that went sideways. I was going to plant some more trees and do a little hunting, but dad got the bobcat stuck this morning in a spot where it’s in the way of a fence crew that’s building a new fence for us. And he was heading to the airport for a flight this morning so I got the stuck machine situation dumped on me solo. Took two hours to get the old backhoe started and in position and another two hours to dig and pull it out. Ass whip. Watched some deer from the house while I had a little dinner; saw two 3-yr olds fight hard for a solid minute and saw a nice 10pt really late; didn’t have enough light to really judge him, may be a shooter.

0f796f761cb090ec8910a76123c8288e.jpg

8775e6930fd51e5283f833d71c9c34b9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm jealous of y'all out farther west. I hunted all evening out here in the piney woods of Panola County and didn't see anything. We're all timber, and with enough oak trees on the place that there are still plenty of acorns on the ground. The deer could care less about corn, so you pretty much have to get lucky to even see anything.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah.  My setup is the closest. It’s still a good distance, but I’d rather be the furthest.  We have new (literally brand new) highway issues. And that’s not always conducive to relaxing. 

Your blind is closest to camp?  Are you saying you have only one blind to hunt from and that one blind is yours?

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yep.  There's a few community blinds throughout, but everyone has got their pasture.  Not the way I'd prefer, but that's the way they run it.  

OK.  I get to now.  

Our place is all community blinds.  We have only 5 members so it works out pretty well.  Family members and non-members / guests are subordinate to members when picking a blind.  We have 14 total on 2700 acres so we don’t get over crowded.     

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

OK.  I get to now.  

Our place is all community blinds.  We have only 5 members so it works out pretty well.  Family members and non-members / guests are subordinate to members when picking a blind.  We have 14 total on 2700 acres so we don’t get over crowded.     

Yeah. I'd prefer that, but just not how it's set up.  When new member's join, it can shuffle a bit with agreeable members.  I'll be for sure moving if there's ever a new spot open up.   Most people will let you sit at their place, if they have a cull they want gone and it'd be a good one for kids, things like that.   Unfortunately, we're only working with 1k acres, and it has an easement split in kind of a funky spot to exacerbate the situation.  Adding insult to injury, the state created a highway bypass that went from a mile (way too close) to now 300 yards from camp.  Has completely demoed the relaxation part of the entire deal.  Really quite fucked the entire deal up, if we're being honest.  Been a rough couple of breaks lately. 

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm jealous of y'all out farther west. I hunted all evening out here in the piney woods of Panola County and didn't see anything. We're all timber, and with enough oak trees on the place that there are still plenty of acorns on the ground. The deer could care less about corn, so you pretty much have to get lucky to even see anything.

This is same situation in eastern Oklahoma. Worse when I hunt out by Ponca City on the Salt Fork River.  The deer have soybeans, milo, corn, and winter wheat for miles and miles.  They look at a feeder and scowl “poor peasant”.  Muy grandes out there though…

• Hook 'Em 2