2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

Headed out this weekend to fart around and get stuff done.

I'm not on for stupid new years resolutions, but I'm going to make an exception this year and go full Shock & Awe on the mesquite.  We're bringing on a dozer, buying multiple large backpack sprayers, the works and I'm going to start really fighting them back.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Headed out this weekend to fart around and get stuff done.

I'm not on for stupid new years resolutions, but I'm going to make an exception this year and go full Shock & Awe on the mesquite.  We're bringing on a dozer, buying multiple large backpack sprayers, the works and I'm going to start really fighting them back.  

Backpack sprayers.  What is your magic potion for mesquite?

We use Sendero but the leaves have to be green and the temp hot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:17 AM, Da Fino said:

Well I’ve got nothing this year yet. Mostly because my girl wanted to join me. Couldn’t be happier. Still have a couple weeks left. I think my days of hunting with a rifle are limited for a while.

I typically hunt with my oldest (10) nearly every hunt for last few years.  This year, I had a few hunts where all 3 wanted in, so fuck it, lets go.  They've got a bit to go on the whole quiet and patient part, but definitely made lots of memories.  I need a shooter to show up soon, or I might be out of the shooting things with horns game for a decade or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Late arrival to camp. Laid up on the porch holding a Tullamore Dew in abeyance under a setting sun. 

2 more months of deer season. Wife coming down tomorrow for the weekend then she’s off to Uvalde for the San Antonio Rodeo qualifier for the week. 

Get a little time in the blind come morning.  

Life is good.  

FB41D354-3D40-4DDF-AF52-23014B3E4865.jpeg

Good thing one of you works. 

• Haha 2

So needed to take a few does this weekend to hit our #’s targets, and this was likely last weekend I could hunt for the season.  5 bucks, 4 small hogs, and 17 beards like clockwork for 3 of the 4 sits.  4th sit a little doe also came out, and was immediately run off by one of the bucks.    Eventually just shot a little 50# hog.    Headed home and saw 5 groups of 2-4 doe between camp and gate, ha.  You win this weekend, girls.  

Quail are showing less and less by the week, don’t know what’s happening there but that needs to stop. We were looking like a very strong year earlier in season. 

The freeze turned south Texas into the beautiful south Texas I love, instead of the rainforest it was all season.   Moon was gorgeous, even if it was fucking up my hunting.  I really wish we were MLD just for the late season access (when it’s finally cold), and of course the management benefits.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not enough time in the stand this season.  Work/young kids/wife in grad school = no deer this year. 

I still had a ton of fun prepping and getting eyes on deer population via cams, but I really want to work toward a more successful 2023-2024 whitetail season.  Patience and getting the land more receptive to a healthy deer population are my goals (and obviously actually putting some meat in the freezer).

If I get a chance soon there is some predator control that needs to be done.  Coyotes are way too fat and way too comfortable being close to the house/chickens.  Fuckers killed off a lot of them the last few months and they need to get got.  No hogs in the area lately but if they show up, they will be murdered.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

If I get a chance soon there is some predator control that needs to be done.  Coyotes are way too fat and way too comfortable 

Same.  Deer herd was down this year and every night  I'm out there I hear the yotes singing and coordinating.  Need a massive cull during the offseason.  

Still no pigs.  Guess they aren't a fan of dry, hard dirt, rocks, and mesquite beans

• Hook 'Em 1

I have not undertaken any predator control tactics previously so I am interested in how I should go about killing some of these fuckers.  They seem easy to attract and I have them all over the cams, but I am unsure if this is a "sit in the stand" type situation or nightstalking or whathaveyou.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I have not undertaken any predator control tactics previously so I am interested in how I should go about killing some of these fuckers.  They seem easy to attract and I have them all over the cams, but I am unsure if this is a "sit in the stand" type situation or nightstalking or whathaveyou.  

I've used audio attractants - game calls, etc with some limited success.  You really need thermal/night optics to spot them and see how they are being called in.  There are a TON of youtube videos of guys that do this all the time with crazy success.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Hell of a weekend.  Boy's scouting colleges so this weekend it's Tech.  Ranch is halfway so we made basecamp there, did the tour, came back and did some shooting.
The old Pre-64 .270 got her turn and the boy loves her.  He was a little anticipatory with the recoil but he did fine and she's dialed in.  Three shots (pictured) @ 130yds by him.  Rewarded with Rancho Pizzeria in Coleman.  Best wood-fired pizza anywhere, and this is coming from a DFW Carne Rosa fan. 

Used to be a great steakhouse on the right hand side as you come in to Santa Anna from Coleman named Noreta’s. Been 15+ years since I’ve been down there on a regular basis so no idea if it’s even still open.

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Not enough time in the stand this season.  Work/young kids/wife in grad school = no deer this year. 

I still had a ton of fun prepping and getting eyes on deer population via cams, but I really want to work toward a more successful 2023-2024 whitetail season.  Patience and getting the land more receptive to a healthy deer population are my goals (and obviously actually putting some meat in the freezer).

If I get a chance soon there is some predator control that needs to be done.  Coyotes are way too fat and way too comfortable being close to the house/chickens.  Fuckers killed off a lot of them the last few months and they need to get got.  No hogs in the area lately but if they show up, they will be murdered.

I'm literally right there with you.  I hunted deer a few times, but with an elk in the freezer, I just prioritized other things.  Not worrying about deer, I was able to introduce some folks to shooting sports... and to eradicating pigs, of which I have no shortage.  So, no deer this year, but it's a priority for 2023, if for nothing more than "managing" the local herd for meat in the freezer.

Tons of fun working the farm and getting a good understanding of the deer population and its movement via cameras.  I plan to build a new blind, and I hope to also hunt archery next season.

Like you, I'm concerned about the coyotes, and I plan to get into predator hunting this year.  I already have the nightvision rig I use for hogs, a thermal scanner, and a general knowledge of where they move thanks to cameras.  I plan to use some sort of electronic predator call.  Youtube has helped as @BabaYaga mentioned.  Just need to get to it.

In the mean time, need to find somewhere for spring turkey, 'cause we have none where I am in NE Texas.

Edited by solamente73
Youtube for 'yotes
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Used to be a great steakhouse on the right hand side as you come in to Santa Anna from Coleman named Noreta’s. Been 15+ years since I’ve been down there on a regular basis so no idea if it’s even still open.

Yeo,  In Valera I almost always stop at Big O's.  Great little BBQ joint.  Now that Coleman has been gentrified some, there is a GREAT steakhouse next door to the pizza place (same owners) called the 'Black Cur'.  Locally sourced beef.  Great wine from the local vineyards.  Long gone are the days of deciding between DQ and Sonic

• Like 1

Mine 9 yr old boy is super mad at it and I need some 410 shells for a late season dove hunt. I’ve never ordered shells online - 1 can you? 2 do you know a good website?

Austin area stores I’ve called don’t have any and I’m assuming it’s that way everywhere this time of year but would love to be wrong if anyone knows.

Thank you

12 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Mine 9 yr old boy is super mad at it and I need some 410 shells for a late season dove hunt. I’ve never ordered shells online - 1 can you? 2 do you know a good website?

Austin area stores I’ve called don’t have any and I’m assuming it’s that way everywhere this time of year but would love to be wrong if anyone knows.

Thank you

Yes, you can.  I’ve been taking the .410 for quail for last 2 years, and they’ve been hard to find.  Gunbroker always has them, but $$$$. Midway is hit or miss, but a lot cheaper.   I was able to pick up a whole bunch during the start of the ammo run during covid, so still working thru those these last few years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you

South Georgia outdoors.

Find them on ammoseek.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

@BabaYagaRancho pizza is the best! Eat there every chance I get.  I’m usually thru Coleman on Mon-Wed and they aren’t open those days. Santa Anna has a great cafe type place with a great CFS and cheeseburger. Seems like it’s MA’s or something like that. 

Check out Owls drug store for the best burger around Or new bar across the street for great food and sports watching 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=1701]BabaYaga[/mention]Rancho pizza is the best! Eat there every chance I get.  I’m usually thru Coleman on Mon-Wed and they aren’t open those days. Santa Anna has a great cafe type place with a great CFS and cheeseburger. Seems like it’s MA’s or something like that. 

Dub’s and Noreta’s in SA were the only spots to eat when I was in Abilene. Lowake steakhouse moved to Rowena years backs so if you’re ever further west I would encourage you swing by.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Will definitely do that. I run back and forth between Amarillo and Salado and always looking for somewhere new to eat.  Think I know that steakhouse you mentioned in Santa Anna, if it’s the one I’m thinking, it’s been closed for a while. It was in that small stretch of businesses on the south side of the highway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Do any of you ever use those "hunting lease" sites? I have joined one and am waiting to see what happens. I have also made about 20 bookmarks of the timber company lease sites. I have NEVER had a lease of my own, usually just have friends/family who let me go to their land. I am a little leery about some of these posts/sites I see, but am hoping if I see one I like it will be with no issues. I live in the Tyler area so any leases I have seen around here are EXPENSIVE as hell for very little land. Earlier this year I had a guy say he had a 30 acre lease near Athens for $4500. For me that is ridiculous, but from what I hear, pretty normal for around here. 

On 1/2/2023 at 10:55 PM, 686 said:

Filled seven feeders, seeded new ground, fixed a bunch of storm damage, cleaned and organized the barn, watered the new trees, built some tree cages for more new trees, etc. Did fireworks and s’mores for about 10 kids. Worked my butt off the last few days, but it’s great that I can still work my ass off occasionally. I used to do it 6 days a week, when I was also coincidentally about 50lbs lighter.

4327631af92bc3a71ec0633c61158343.jpg

Good thing corn is cheap this year :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dignan said:

Do any of you ever use those "hunting lease" sites? I have joined one and am waiting to see what happens. I have also made about 20 bookmarks of the timber company lease sites. I have NEVER had a lease of my own, usually just have friends/family who let me go to their land. I am a little leery about some of these posts/sites I see, but am hoping if I see one I like it will be with no issues. I live in the Tyler area so any leases I have seen around here are EXPENSIVE as hell for very little land. Earlier this year I had a guy say he had a 30 acre lease near Athens for $4500. For me that is ridiculous, but from what I hear, pretty normal for around here. 

$150 / acre for NE Texas?   Seems way overpriced.   Perhaps because it’s a small parcel and an owner looking for a porkchop?  Is that a turnkey operation with blinds, feeders and corn service?

Price tag seen in S Texas brush country is $12-17 / acre; however, larger tracts with year round access and lessee provides all the FF&E 

Edited by deadshank

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

$150 / acre for NE Texas?   Seems way overpriced.   Perhaps because it’s a small parcel and an owner looking for a porkchop?  Is that a turnkey operation with blinds, feeders and corn service?

Price tag seen in S Texas brush country is $12-17 / acre; however, larger tracts with year round access and lessee provides all the FF&E 

It is crazy. But, it was a year long lease and you could do whatever you wanted to do. From what I remember there was ONE stand on it but you could add feeders etc. I saw another recently in Gregg County. 43 acres for $4500 as well. 

• Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Dignan said:

The market is wild, but that's just dumb.  We have a little under 700 acres and charge four hunters with year round hunting (with quail/duck/turkey rights) a flat 10k.

22 hours ago, deadshank said:

Damn.  We are notably higher than that.  We have a small annual escalator, but I guess after 15 years that escalator starts to add up.  Unfortunately there's 10 people waiting to take your spot when you bow out. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

The market is wild, but that's just dumb.  We have a little under 700 acres and charge four hunters with year round hunting (with quail/duck/turkey rights) a flat 10k.

We've discussed this before, but your guys are getting a really good deal.  I used to regularly hunt 7k of an 18k pasture in yall's area with a vendor.  When times got tough, they cut the lease in lieu of laying off, which I always thought was admirable, unlike the co I worked for that continued to spend 7 figures annually while laying off every 6 months or so (O&G holla).  Anyhow, the rancher asked us if we'd be interested, and I remember the acre cost was great, but *7000 it it made it more difficult to get a group large enough to drive that far, for that $$.  Had about 2/3'rds of a group established, but couldn't make it work.   Really love it out there.  Was a really great rancher, really great place, would have been awesome.  I have a sad now that the fucking freeway is pretty much running thru my current place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn.  We are notably higher than that.  We have a small annual escalator, but I guess after 15 years that escalator starts to add up.  Unfortunately there's 10 people waiting to take your spot when you bow out. 

We've discussed this before, but your guys are getting a really good deal.  I used to regularly hunt 7k of an 18k pasture in yall's area with a vendor.  When times got tough, they cut the lease in lieu of laying off, which I always thought was admirable, unlike the co I worked for that continued to spend 7 figures annually while laying off every 6 months or so (O&G holla).  Anyhow, the rancher asked us if we'd be interested, and I remember the acre cost was great, but *7000 it it made it more difficult to get a group large enough to drive that far, for that $$.  Had about 2/3'rds of a group established, but couldn't make it work.   Really love it out there.  Was a really great rancher, really great place, would have been awesome.  I have a sad now that the fucking freeway is pretty much running thru my current place. 

Leases are damn expensive.  @armybrat posted this a couple of days ago -- very true!

image.jpeg.69363a296ac97806982c4895e95deb2c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, we really need guys to be stewards of the land and watch over the place.  I know we're vastly under the market, but this is not a money play.  I want/wanted good hunters that see and treat the land as their own, through good times and lean ones.  They pay a lot out of pocket for blinds, feeders, and upkeep on the land and do a decent amount of needed brush work.