2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

sitting in a blind in Whitsett. Never been here before. My first impression is folks get up at the crack of dawn so they can shoot off every firearm in their house.
It's like ww3 has started

Sorry for partying? Blame Speedtrucker and his ringing endorsement of the 716i in the gun owners thread that made be buy one
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did anyone else seem abnormally low deer numbers this year? I've hunted the same place in Jack County for the last 17 years and don't know if I've ever seen as few as deer as we saw this year. It might be due to the freeze or lack of rain but we didn't seen any mature deer (doe or buck) this year and we typically have at least have a couple 4.5 year old deer.
I talked to a large processor in DFW and they said they were down almost 40% in the amount of deer brought in this year. They thought the freeze and low fawn survival rates were the culprit.

ranch is in Young county, right outside the Jack county line. We still saw plenty of deer, but the #’s were definitely down, buck quality was way down. We gave all the bucks a pass this year. Plenty of coyotes, guys above are making me want to try some calling on them.

Anyone else having the county trying to fuck them on a wildlife ag plan? Not sure why a plan that was fine for a decade is suddenly no good. They now want >300ac for white tail management. I sort of get it, but if nobody <300 gives a damn about the deer, it's going to screw hunting for lots and lots of folks.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Heading out to a high fence place next week west of Hunt.  I'm just shooting hogs, others will take some of the exotics.  Here's my new hunting gear this year:

How are the hogs on the fences?  Does it keep them in/out and do they do any damage to them?

Anyone else having the county trying to fuck them on a wildlife ag plan? Not sure why a plan that was fine for a decade is suddenly no good. They now want >300ac for white tail management. I sort of get it, but if nobody

We have always made efforts to stay in Ag exemption even though Wildlife would be easier, because we’ve always had some lingering fear that they will take away / raise the bar on Wildlife and then also make it hard to get back into Ag. I’m actually kind of surprised that the Wildlife Exemption has made it this long without being curtailed by the state, similar to the Texas Tomorrow Fund.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Anyone else having the county trying to fuck them on a wildlife ag plan? Not sure why a plan that was fine for a decade is suddenly no good. They now want >300ac for white tail management. I sort of get it, but if nobody <300 gives a damn about the deer, it's going to screw hunting for lots and lots of folks.

The "county" is messing with you regarding a wildlife ag plan?  Which county?

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

How are the hogs on the fences?  Does it keep them in/out and do they do any damage to them?

Hogs do some minor damage to the fences on my place. Nothing major but they will push up the bottom of the fence to get through. We will spend a few days every year putting in hog panels to cover up the holes. I understand some ranches will install some fencing into the ground to prevent this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hogs do some minor damage to the fences on my place. Nothing major but they will push up the bottom of the fence to get through. We will spend a few days every year putting in hog panels to cover up the holes. I understand some ranches will install some fencing into the ground to prevent this.

Or a skirt buried underground. It’s very effective.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I wish I could share a legit hunting pic I have of a former Texas VB player, but I’m too respectful to do shit like that. 

Was she sitting on top of you and pulling your ears back too far or showing some poor trigger discipline or what?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Wise County hog hunt about to fire up.

Anyone participating?  

Yes, I am signed up.  I dont think we have a chance for placing the heaviest hog which is always 350lbs or greater.  We are going for the sidepots of closest to 245 lb and 285 lb.....we might have a chance at those weight categories...

• Hook 'Em 2

Wise County hog hunt about to fire up.
Anyone participating?  

Yes, I am signed up.  I dont think we have a chance for placing the heaviest hog which is always 350lbs or greater.  We are going for the sidepots of closest to 245 lb and 285 lb.....we might have a chance at those weight categories...

Same, we don’t have the size to place but the side pots we can get close to 245lb.

We are seriously thinking about it this year. Waiting to see what these last few days show us as our hogs all have slowed their visits lately

public land hunting is serious business

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/01/michigan-mans-up-tree-stand-sabotage-created-trap-door-hunter-fell-20-feet.html

MARQUETTE COUNTY, MI – A Michigan man is serving a 60-day jail sentence after he confessed to repeatedly sabotaging a hunter’s tree stand in the Upper Peninsula, causing the hunter to fall 15 to 20 feet.

Thomas Steele III, 23, of Chelsea, recently pleaded guilty to misdemeanors of aggravated assault and hunter harassment in Marquette County Circuit Court.

Additionally, Steele must reimburse the victim’s medical expenses for injuries sustained in the fall from the tree stand. Steele must also serve a one-year probation term.

Steele’s hunting privileges were revoked for an undetermined amount of time. With Michigan a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator’s Compact, Steele’s right to hunt will also be revoked in nearly all 50 states.

According to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Steele began harassing another hunter in October 2020 due to a dispute over a tree stand on public land in Marquette County.

The hunter arrived at his tree stand one day and found a note on his trail camera, stating that he was set up in Steele’s hunting spot. Steele, then a student at Northern Michigan University, left his phone number on the note.

When the hunter called the number, Steele insisted that the hunter stay off the land even though, under Michigan law, you cannot claim exclusive rights on public hunting land. Any tree stand or deer blind left unoccupied on state land can be used by another individual.

After initially agreeing to the handshake deal, the hunter eventually returned to the spot several weeks later, but when he stepped onto the platform of his stand, he immediately fell 15 to 20 feet to the ground, the DNR said.

The hunter landed on his feet but injured his ankle and back, according to the DNR. The hunter reported the incident to DNR Conservation Officer Josh Boudreaux, who launched an investigation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

public land hunting is serious business

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/01/michigan-mans-up-tree-stand-sabotage-created-trap-door-hunter-fell-20-feet.html

MARQUETTE COUNTY, MI – A Michigan man is serving a 60-day jail sentence after he confessed to repeatedly sabotaging a hunter’s tree stand in the Upper Peninsula, causing the hunter to fall 15 to 20 feet.

Thomas Steele III, 23, of Chelsea, recently pleaded guilty to misdemeanors of aggravated assault and hunter harassment in Marquette County Circuit Court.

Additionally, Steele must reimburse the victim’s medical expenses for injuries sustained in the fall from the tree stand. Steele must also serve a one-year probation term.

Steele’s hunting privileges were revoked for an undetermined amount of time. With Michigan a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator’s Compact, Steele’s right to hunt will also be revoked in nearly all 50 states.

According to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Steele began harassing another hunter in October 2020 due to a dispute over a tree stand on public land in Marquette County.

The hunter arrived at his tree stand one day and found a note on his trail camera, stating that he was set up in Steele’s hunting spot. Steele, then a student at Northern Michigan University, left his phone number on the note.

When the hunter called the number, Steele insisted that the hunter stay off the land even though, under Michigan law, you cannot claim exclusive rights on public hunting land. Any tree stand or deer blind left unoccupied on state land can be used by another individual.

After initially agreeing to the handshake deal, the hunter eventually returned to the spot several weeks later, but when he stepped onto the platform of his stand, he immediately fell 15 to 20 feet to the ground, the DNR said.

The hunter landed on his feet but injured his ankle and back, according to the DNR. The hunter reported the incident to DNR Conservation Officer Josh Boudreaux, who launched an investigation.

Dumb.  Just dumb a bottle of fox piss or something else near the stand if you really have a bug up your ass, but Jesús, don't try to get the guy hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumb.  Just dumb a bottle of fox piss or something else near the stand if you really have a bug up your ass, but Jesús, don't try to get the guy hurt.

In one of Rinella’s “Close Calls” audiobooks, a guy tells a story about how he fell out of his tree stand on public land. Broke his back I think and EMS wasn’t working for some reason. He was hesitant to call some of his hunting acquaintances to come get him, because he didn’t want to disclose the location of his best spot, but that was the only option. As they are dragging him out, one of the guys actually comments to the other, “that was a great spot, I’m hunting it next weekend.” Savage.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Built another protein pen this morning after sitting in a blind.   Had help from some current UT students down to camp.  Lots easier when the young guns drive the T posts. 

Fill it with 20% and some de-wormer next weekend. 

960B7818-6901-4532-9532-3F0D56F35F80.jpeg

Even easier to drive t posts with a front end loader 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

Built another protein pen this morning after sitting in a blind.   Had help from some current UT students down to camp.  Lots easier when the young guns drive the T posts. 

Fill it with 20% and some de-wormer next weekend. 

960B7818-6901-4532-9532-3F0D56F35F80.jpeg

Do you feed protein year round?

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Those empty tubs are a pain? If you've got any decent farmer/rancher gene in you they are a blessing from above. They are useful for all sorts of things.

I agree, but I go through 20-24 each fall/winter, and the plastic from which they’re made gets flimsier and flimsier. 
One of the most useful things I did was drill some holes in the bottom of a “good” one, and I keep a tow rope, chain, and clevis in it. Very easy to load up when something needs unstuck, or if the weather is getting bad. 

I use them for gut buckets during deer season. Catching oil when we have to work on the tractors. Trimmed one down and it’s been a water bowl for the dogs for years now.

Yep the cattle farmer across the way loses a few to our side every year due to high winds. We are friendly enough to toss them back over to him after taxing him out of a couple for gut buckets. Hell that west Texas wind picked up one of those stainless water troughs this fall and sent it to our side of the road…