2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

So the dude snagged a fiber-optic cable trailer that was left along side the road, and converted it to a deer blind?

Nah just the reel. They leave them at wound everywhere but I wouldn’t put the whole trailer past the dude if they left around him for too long.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Nah just the reel. They leave them at wound everywhere but I wouldn’t put the whole trailer past the dude if they left around him for too long.

Thanks for posting. I have ability to snag a few of those reels each year (legitimately) as the return on them is less than it takes to return them.  We typically just throw them in the scrap pile. 

For my money, cutting back hackberry trees is worse than cutting mesquite.  Threw the chain four times today on hackberries. 

After the fourth time my jurisdiction ended at that spot.  
IMG_7784.thumb.jpeg.b0e9e671f9915a01a71f898efe94871b.jpeg

Hey dumbass, maybe if you’d put a sawblade on there with the chain it wouldn’t jump off so much - roethlisberger.gif
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I don’t get how a hackberry can be such a pain and at the same time they’ll split on you at the slightest breeze.

We had a hackberry in our side yard that started splitting down the middle that we had to have cut down

It’s the small wispy new branches collateral cuts when after larger branches.  Chain throwers 

• 3 weeks later...

So we have a bit of a beaver problem. We have series of dams that have been built below a pond that have made some of our creek crossings uncrossable. We have a couple conibear traps, but the family is a bit concerned about non beaver animals getting caught in them. I showed them how to set them and how you can run a pole through the springs so that they only catch what is swimming through them. 

I guess my question is has anybody had luck using night vision tactics to get rid of them versus putting traps out? Obviously we need to get rid of the source versus destroying the dams, but we can't be out there every day to check the traps, and I would kind of like to keep the pelts to tan them for some of my leatherworking projects. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 4:20 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Do any of you have a gun dog trainer you have worked with successfully?

https://bestretrievers.com/

They're aggy, but they're awesome.  Great facility and the training was top notch for both obedience and upland / waterfowl.  They also do boarding with a "tune up" program.  We've sent Murphy there during summer vacations the last few years, and it really does improve his skills right before dove season.  

IMG_7347.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:26 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

They also do boarding with a "tune up" program.  We've sent Murphy there during summer vacations the last few years, and it really does improve his skills right before dove season.  

It really helps. We did the same for a couple of years and then got away from it, but it was a nice way to knock the rust off 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just booked a weekend of hunts for South Zone dove opener. Trying something new this year.

Dad, brother and I have spent a weekend almost every September since around 2012 or so with an outfitter with multiple fields spread out around San Antonio (mainly Lytle and Cibolo). Almost always had stellar hunts those first 6 or 7 years, with really good customer service and reliable limits. Last 2 trips (2019 and 2021) were mediocre at best. Think the outfitter just got way too popular and started booking too many damn hunters. "Guiding" became downgraded to them finding you an unoccupied spot in the field to set up in and that's about it. Those first few years, they would come by and constantly check in and would move you around if things were slow. 

Anyways, we found an outfitter with some fields much further south. Gonna be hunting out somewhere between Alice and Kingsville this year. Never dove hunted that area before but looking forward to it. Also praying that it's not still 105 degrees in the afternoons by then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Anyways, we found an outfitter with some fields much further south. Gonna be hunting out somewhere between Alice and Kingsville this year. Never dove hunted that area before but looking forward to it. Also praying that it's not still 105 degrees in the afternoons by then

Not to worry.  It will be pouring rain.

Edited by deadshank
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Gonna be hunting out somewhere between Alice and Kingsville this year. Never dove hunted that area before but looking forward to it. Also praying that it's not still 105 degrees in the afternoons by then. 

This is our general area. There are plenty of dove. Bring your hip boots. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, Storm the Field said:

Not quite hunting, but I'm excited to head out to a deer lease for the first time in probably 5 years tomorrow. My brother got on a lease with some buddies up in Tyler Co. last year and I've been wanting to go check it out and see if it's something I want to try and get on the waiting list for. We're gonna head up there to check  stands and feeders, drink beer, take some target practice and just generally dick around. 

It's East Texas, so not exactly overrun with quality bucks, but there have been some decent 8 pointers taken, and it's an easy drive and cheap-ish as far as leases go. Hell, just having a place only 2.5 hours away from town to spend some Fall weekends at might be worth it. 

Got the invite to join this lease yesterday and jumped at the opportunity. It's dirt cheap for having year-round access to a place not too far away with a decent little camp house, fire pit area and grills. 

Brother and I are hoping to get some momentum started towards taking it a little more seriously as a hunting lease and not just a place for the other guys to get out of the city and fuck around one or two weekends a year. Almost no actual hunting was done last year. Don't think anyone went out there after first 2 weekends of deer season, and last I heard, no one has stopped by at all in months. 

The guy that's now heading things up now seems like a pretty serious hunter, so we're hoping that at least between the 3 of us, a few years from now we can hopefully call this "that first year where we actually put in some effort." 

Want to get out there soon for my first trip as an actual member and see how much work we've got on our hands, but fuck it's hot right now. Gonna have to give it a few weeks until this heat dome breaks down some. My nightmare would be getting out there when it's still 101 and finding out the AC unit has crapped out or the fridge burnt up and there's rotten slime seeping out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

My nightmare would be getting out there when it's still 101 and finding out the AC unit has crapped out or the fridge burnt up and there's rotten slime seeping out. 

Did you spy on us last weekend?  We knew our fridge went out at some point before we got there.  We learned our lesson in the past so we leave hardly anything in the freezer anymore.  Had some goop in the freezer but fridge portion was fine.  Couldn't get it working even on gas.  

It was hot.  We had some very large downed trees and needed to repair 2 feeders after 2 friggin cows got on the property.  We had to stop about 3:30 Saturday.  One buddy was starting to stumble, but he's notorious for fainting.  He's done it since college.  We told him to go in and cool off while we finished monkeying with the feeders. 

We found that we have 2 sections of fence down so we know where the cows came from.  Problem is they have been there for a long time and we have no idea who the landowner is that needs to get them off.  Should we ask our local game warden?  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We found that we have 2 sections of fence down so we know where the cows came from.  Problem is they have been there for a long time and we have no idea who the landowner is that needs to get them off.  Should we ask our local game warden?  

Call the sheriff. 

AGRICULTURE CODE

TITLE 6. PRODUCTION, PROCESSING, AND SALE OF ANIMAL PRODUCTS

SUBTITLE B. LIVESTOCK

CHAPTER 142. ESTRAYS

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/AG/htm/AG.142.htm

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, Storm the Field said:

Got the invite to join this lease yesterday and jumped at the opportunity. It's dirt cheap for having year-round access to a place not too far away with a decent little camp house, fire pit area and grills. 

Brother and I are hoping to get some momentum started towards taking it a little more seriously as a hunting lease and not just a place for the other guys to get out of the city and fuck around one or two weekends a year. Almost no actual hunting was done last year. Don't think anyone went out there after first 2 weekends of deer season, and last I heard, no one has stopped by at all in months. 

The guy that's now heading things up now seems like a pretty serious hunter, so we're hoping that at least between the 3 of us, a few years from now we can hopefully call this "that first year where we actually put in some effort." 

Want to get out there soon for my first trip as an actual member and see how much work we've got on our hands, but fuck it's hot right now. Gonna have to give it a few weeks until this heat dome breaks down some. My nightmare would be getting out there when it's still 101 and finding out the AC unit has crapped out or the fridge burnt up and there's rotten slime seeping out. 

How many acres is it, and what are the sizes of the adjacent plots? We have 350ish acres of family land between my mom and aunt and uncle that is mostly only hunted by me, and I am getting some pretty quality pictures of deer on my lone camera. Also, this guy who I saw about 300 yards away down an oil field road while I was hunting with my flintlock which has about 200 inches of drop and only 100 foot pounds of energy at that range...

QGuf3Rsk_o.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How many acres is it, and what are the sizes of the adjacent plots? 

It's something like 670 acres total if I recall from looking at the map in the camphouse. Main section with camphouse is like ~400 acres and then there's a 2nd part down the road that is pretty much undeveloped. Typical ETX timber company land. Sandy soil, shitloads of pine trees, pretty hilly. There are some dirt roads that the company uses to get around, but if you venture very far off the main roads, you're absolutely fucked if you don't have 4WD. Definitely some areas that would only be accessible with a 4 wheeler. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

It's something like 670 acres total if I recall from looking at the map in the camphouse. Main section with camphouse is like ~400 acres and then there's a 2nd part down the road that is pretty much undeveloped. Typical ETX timber company land. Sandy soil, shitloads of pine trees, pretty hilly. There are some dirt roads that the company uses to get around, but if you venture very far off the main roads, you're absolutely fucked if you don't have 4WD. Definitely some areas that would only be accessible with a 4 wheeler. 

Where in ETX?

We are in Mount Vernon.  

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Guess I should have said ESETX. Just south of Rayburn. Closest "town" is Colmesneil.

Waited too long to edit. Wanted to add:

Just a little over 2 hours to get to town from my house in Houston and then maybe another 15-20 heading down backroads to the lease, so it's really convenient for me. Close enough where I could take off on Friday at lunch time, get there in time for an evening hunt Friday, another one in the morning and then be back by lunchtime Saturday if I want. Don't need to block off an entire weekend with 8+ hours of driving roundtrip to consider a trip.

I'd love to get on a classic hill country lease out near Leakey or Junction or Llano or something, but those are all 5+ hour trips and a lot more $$. Maybe later in life. This'll do for now.

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

That's definitely enough space to develop a quality deer herd.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

13 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Guess I should have said ESETX. Just south of Rayburn. Closest "town" is Colmesneil.

I used to hunt in Colmesneil.  Fuckloads of hogs.   There are some big deer around Rayburn.  There’s also a bunch of outlaws that shoot them wherever they are. I really liked hunting east Texas.  Watch the copperheads. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 10:09 AM, Storm the Field said:

That's about the size of our place.  As stated, you can develop a good group with that much space.