2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Speaking of mountain lions, my 4th grade teacher had us write a story from an animal’s perspective. I chose to write about how I, as a cougar, killed a deer. I then wrote about how I ate certain organs before the meat. I think I began by cracking open the skull to eat the brain. The teacher was horrified, and my mom was called in for a parent teacher conference. 

But you got lots of style points from your fellow "dude" 4th graders. 

And that is what matters.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I've been to the ranch ONCE since hunting season started.  Was absolutely slammed at work throughout November.  Follow that up with a nasty staph infection for my middle son that's lead to now week 3 in the hospital for him.  Hoping to get there over New Years' weekend.  Even though the freezer is full from an axis this spring and an elk this fall, I'm Jonesing bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Was in Mexico over the weekend. Crazy slow. Did see chasing pick up this morning of course I had to come home gor work.
Going to bowl game next week so not sure when Ill get back down there. I shot a 9 pt and we found a cat on a game came pic. 1 single photo.
No othetes on that cam or other setups close by. Hopefully just passed thru.
1c53245a6331cabd552304dd663c18fe.jpg

What brand truck bed liner is that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I've been to the ranch ONCE since hunting season started.  Was absolutely slammed at work throughout November.  Follow that up with a nasty staph infection for my middle son that's lead to now week 3 in the hospital for him.  Hoping to get there over New Years' weekend.  Even though the freezer is full from an axis this spring and an elk this fall, I'm Jonesing bad.

Damn dude I’m sorry. Hope your boy is able to get out soon. Is there a worse place to be than the hospital over the holidays?  Well wishes and I hope you get a chance to get out before EOS 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 12:35 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m pretty sure you’re correct. I never noticed how thin the eye sockets are on some canines. With so much of the snout missing, I was also confusing the nasopharynx with the beginnings of a narrow palate (my wife taught college anatomy classes after her M.D. career, so please don’t tell her). I catch more red fox on my cameras than coyotes, so that might be what it was.

Coyote:

A7-E26-BAE-B5-F5-40-B2-97-D3-22-D63-B0-E

More than likely the longer snout was chewed down by whatever ate it and/or after.  The smaller bones are chewed down leaving the larger mass of the skull.  Critter also chew on the bones (mice, rats, etc) for the calcium.  

On 12/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Speaking of mountain lions, my 4th grade teacher had us write a story from an animal’s perspective. I chose to write about how I, as a cougar, killed a deer. I then wrote about how I ate certain organs before the meat. I think I began by cracking open the skull to eat the brain. The teacher was horrified, and my mom was called in for a parent teacher conference. 

It would be the liver eaten first, otherwise spot on assessment.

Cats trying to get jacked like this guy

image.png.bd923809ee1de050e8f1133054ef2627.png

Was able to make it out to check cams and fill feeders. Plenty of deer around still and my target buck is still making appearances. Holy fuck tits it was cold today but they were out running around, as evidenced by the doggo lighting out in the pasture after some does. 

Wife is off work and on break from her masters program next week so I’m hitting it hard to make up for lost time. My good friend and hunting buddy has his first child due the first week of January so I hope to be able to gift him some meat for his freezer. 

good luck to everyone still trying to knock one down before the end of the season. 🤘🦌

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My dad texted me that he saw 7 pigs and a nice 10 point around my blind this morning. Figures a bunch of shooters would come out Christmas morning. Hopefully I’ll get some time this week to do some hunting. Need one more deer for the freezer and a pig would be a nice bonus.

23 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Second year in a row that I was fortunate to take a buck with my bow. It’s been a great Christmas at the ranch as the deer have really been moving with the cold.

06BE3404-7FC6-4FB8-BC00-BA7FF75E5F07.thumb.jpeg.fb6db7c3817d820856a853d897ad9a29.jpeg

Helluva buck with a bow. Might make the Pope & Young book.

CHIEF

We went out for a week hunt from the 16th to the 23rd. My big buck from up thread was still there. Saw several new younger bucks. They were chasing hard. Got to witness a fight between my big buck and an older buck we are shooting this coming week. He’s an older buck in decline. I’ll probably shoot another cull at the last minute, if we don’t see a wall hanger. 
It was cold as fuck last Thursday and Friday. 9 degrees on Thursday morning with 50mph winds, gusting to 65. I just knew Friday morning was going to be the shit, since the wind was going to lay. I guess the deer at all night, didn’t see but one traveling 10 point Friday morning. The game cam was going nuts after dark on Thursday night/Friday morning.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Second year in a row that I was fortunate to take a buck with my bow. It’s been a great Christmas at the ranch as the deer have really been moving with the cold.

06BE3404-7FC6-4FB8-BC00-BA7FF75E5F07.thumb.jpeg.fb6db7c3817d820856a853d897ad9a29.jpeg

That is a very nice buck.  Congrats.    Did you / are you going to pull the tape on him?  Are you going to peel his head and age him?  Or just let the taxi do all that?

What is your on the hoof estimate of age and score before you pin cushioned him?  

Have you been eyeballing this guy for a few years or is he a transient that just shows up?  

I like the details.   Give them to me.  

Don’t deny us the punch line. 

27 minutes ago, deadshank said:

That is a very nice buck.  Congrats.    Did you / are you going to pull the tape on him?  Are you going to peel his head and age him?  Or just let the taxi do all that?

What is your on the hoof estimate of age and score before you pin cushioned him?  

Have you been eyeballing this guy for a few years or is he a transient that just shows up?  

I like the details.   Give them to me.  

Don’t deny us the punch line. 

He taped out at 165 3/8. I’m going to let the taxi pull his jawbone for age as I don’t want to screw up the cape. I estimated his age at 7 on the hoof as I’ve been watching him for 3 seasons now.

Here’s his picture from October 2020:

103FA09F-71F1-4C04-88BE-A533E54D9AF2.thumb.jpeg.54a42c30053c561f448b18444251e70d.jpeg

After scouting through October and looking through camera pictures, I decided this would be the buck I would try and take. Unfortunately for him, he particularly likes the corn thrown by 2 different feeders and post-rut, he went back to his routine.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

He taped out at 165 3/8. I’m going to let the taxi pull his jawbone for age as I don’t want to screw up the cape. I estimated his age at 7 on the hoof as I’ve been watching him for 3 seasons now.

Here’s his picture from October 2020:

103FA09F-71F1-4C04-88BE-A533E54D9AF2.thumb.jpeg.54a42c30053c561f448b18444251e70d.jpeg

After scouting through October and looking through camera pictures, I decided this would be the buck I would try and take. Unfortunately for him, he particularly likes the corn thrown by 2 different feeders and post-rut, he went back to his routine.

Nice work.  He was a beefy fellow.  

Thanks for the details.  IIRC, you’re in Zavala county, correct?

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

#csb - one of my uncle's has 80 acres in jim wells county, my brother finally went down to fill up the freezer. my brother dropped one while looking around the blind / setting up ha

one of my cousin's has 140 acres next door, but doesn't keep up with the place or anything. not sure the last time anyone even hunted or went out there. 

41 minutes ago, deadshank said:

It is quite amusing when the buck one of the other camp members is hot after shows up at your blind trotting in from 300 out and stops right under your blind while you’re sending pics to the other guy who is 3/4 mile away and seeing nothing.  

He mad. 

E6AD5BA8-7052-443C-9E6C-FD13F1B3D90F.jpeg

8DE3694F-0D0E-4296-86B8-AC84E63D7F2B.jpeg

2802F2FC-9B26-40F8-AECA-3C9F30EA62B7.jpeg

7410C573-9D88-49DD-A984-A2F1048B039D.jpeg

45EC8CED-EDE9-4CB0-984A-96EC6A70F84C.jpeg

What do y'all age him at?  Not much belly.

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

What do y'all age him at?  Not much belly.

He’s got an old head.  5.5 max.  He’s lost weight chasing girlies.   

I would like to see him develop another year or two with more rain to help out his body and antlers.   If we get wet in 2023 the food energy will start to go to his antlers now that his body is fully developed.  

He could be a nice heavy 10 with some extra cheese.  He’s not a real wide-antlered deer but he’s a good buck.  If all goes according to Hoyle he could tape at mid 150s with a wet year or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Agreed on old head. Nice deer.  He'd be dead on lots of deer leases.  Hope y'all can keep him around for another go at the gene pool.

That’s the plan; however, I have to soft sell not shooting it to the only member that hasn’t  shot a single deer (doe or buck) in 10 years and now he’s finally interested in shooting this one (he lets his sons, brother, nephews and nieces fill his score card).  

25 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

969893D4-7348-439B-B1A1-CFBEF356895C.gif

The Falfurrian is back and in da house!

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

What do you think?  Second opinions are welcome.   Don’t ever want to have a narrow view.  Tell me what I missed or over valued.  

His head and neck look like a 6 year old to me. Also, curious if he showed some loose skin as well from losing the weight during the rut?

On my place, mature bucks will be around 200 lbs on the hoof in October/early November and down to 150 by the end of December.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

His head and neck look like a 6 year old to me. Also, curious if he showed some loose skin as well from losing the weight during the rut?

On my place, mature bucks will be around 200 lbs on the hoof in October/early November and down to 150 by the end of December.

I let my camp mate roost up in #6 this morn so he could have a go at the buck in the pics.   He said it is the same buck he bee wanting to whack after he saw him on the hoof this morn.   He passed saying he thought he could use a few more years.  

Sometimes issues clear up on their own.   

• Hook 'Em 4

Well, all my life I thought deer season went from the first full weekend of November thru the first full weekend of January. Evidently I was wrong or someone has moved the goalposts because deer season ends January 1, 2023. Fuck. Me. Running. Guess the big boy I’ve been watching gets to hopefully live another year thanks in large part to my stupidity.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Well, all my life I thought deer season went from the first full weekend of November thru the first full weekend of January. Evidently I was wrong or someone has moved the goalposts because deer season ends January 1, 2023. Fuck. Me. Running. Guess the big boy I’ve been watching gets to hopefully live another year thanks in large part to my stupidity.

Same. I only got one sit in, and didn't pull a trigger.  Life got hectic.  Gonna take the boy out during youth extended season and try to bag some spikes.  I got a couple funky ones on camera. Or a doe or two.