2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

18 hours ago, Ragde said:

Went to my new lease in Arkansas for muzzle loader opener this weekend. Had a gentleman on the lease who had a gas leak in his camper. Long story short check you equipment and get a fire extinguisher. This could have gone really bad. 1 person with minor burns and a 1 with some a bit more serious. 

5F9DC8AA-9D24-41F7-813E-6DF0C3A1B90E.jpeg

Ho-leee fukbalz, that could have been bad. 

Good friend had a single-wide get struck by lightning near Millersview.  Those flimsy things go up like they are made of straw.  Glad everyone is ok.  Landowner was probably not in the best of moods....

11 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Holee shitt.
Hope they turn out ok.
Keep us posted.
That coulda been so bad

Worst part is this is an old, retired guy that basically moves into this camper on muzzle loader opener and goes home at the end of deer season which in Arkansas is end of February. He lost almost all of his clothes, blankets, towels, kitchen / bath stuff.... Couple of us are trying to get a list of things to help replace it. He's got some pretty rough spots but says the pain is getting better every day. He is one of those just in general tough ass old Arkansas mountain guys.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ho-leee fukbalz, that could have been bad. 

Good friend had a single-wide get struck by lightning near Millersview.  Those flimsy things go up like they are made of straw.  Glad everyone is ok.  Landowner was probably not in the best of moods....

It's lumber company land. Not sure if anyone has heard from them yet. We had 4 game wardens come to this campsite and to a man they all said they knew this camp was out here, but they weren't sure where. Then they all dropped pins. The drug task force came out as well. Turns out exploding campers deep in the woods aren't always so easily explained. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ragde said:

It's lumber company land. Not sure if anyone has heard from them yet. We had 4 game wardens come to this campsite and to a man they all said they knew this camp was out here, but they weren't sure where. Then they all dropped pins. The drug task force came out as well. Turns out exploding campers deep in the woods aren't always so easily explained. 

Guessing meth lab was their first assumption

11 hours ago, 686 said:

Well, bad luck today again. On my way into the spot I wanted to hunt today I spooked a good size herd that was bedded maybe 30 yards off the trail. It was too dark to see them but it was a good number of elk, lots of noise as they got up and got out. There wasn’t a way to pursue them through the thick timber and private land was only a mile or so the direction they headed, so I waited at my spot, a nice meadow up the hill from where they were bedded, but no luck. Another beautiful day 8000’ above my typical rat race. Taking a nap in the mountains after a backpack lunch out of cell service is best nap possible.

032ee386419a9e198fe790a95ff86bfe.jpg

That ain’t bad luck, friend. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 12:24 AM, 686 said:

Saw a cow and her calf today but no bulls. Didn’t hear a single rifle shot today, so something had the elk hunkered down. Hitting it again early in the morning, two days left to the season.

dde5951a633306aa0759d50fee5daaab.jpg

That pic is so pretty it almost doesn't seem real. 

bob-ross-painting.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Worst part is this is an old, retired guy that basically moves into this camper on muzzle loader opener and goes home at the end of deer season which in Arkansas is end of February. He lost almost all of his clothes, blankets, towels, kitchen / bath stuff.... Couple of us are trying to get a list of things to help replace it. He's got some pretty rough spots but says the pain is getting better every day. He is one of those just in general tough ass old Arkansas mountain guys.

Damn, man. Thats terrible.
Let me know how to throw in a few bucks for the old guy. PM me if you dont want to post here.

5 hours ago, 686 said:

I sat at that spot for 12 hours so I had plenty of time to work on the composition and wait for the light to get just right for my palate. I grew up watching Bob Ross so maybe he rubbed off on me a little. The weather here has been great for photos but bad for hunting. Too hot and no snow. We threw everything at it today, hiked/stalked over 10 miles, 2000’ elevation gain from 8500 to 10500 and back, glassed thousands of acres and no elk. Didn’t hear a shot all day. The elk are just hunkered down. Bummed about that but still a great trip. Thank the Lord my leg held up (torn calf injury still healing) and didn’t leave me stranded anywhere.

Had 15 hen turkeys feed up this valley to within 20 yards of me at this first spot while I watched a grey fox catch mice and play with/eat them for an hour. She would take the mice out of the tall grass to a big rock and let them go, catch them again and then eat. She was playing. I’ll never forget that. The turkeys let the fox get within ~30 yards with no concern, I was very surprised.

8fdcf47671fe079bda81d5d071dbe03a.jpg

Aspens on old logging trail at 9500’:
db7c7f3f43d02b881946fb7dac5e2120.jpg

Sunset at 10,000’; logging trail through rockslide:
b4f9b98e72c48e5cb27feea627cf7b97.jpg

b698eac3d26bd9e99442aab094af9c93.jpg

Thanks for everyone’s kind words on the photos. Hunters see some amazing things that most other folks will never experience. I like trying to capture that to share.

Tell you what, with those amazing pics, I'd send them off to those online photo places and have them make you a coffee table book to chronicle everything.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn, man. Thats terrible.
Let me know how to throw in a few bucks for the old guy. PM me if you dont want to post here.

If you, or anyone wants to help, i can give my venmo info. Say a prayer and think happy thoughts is my only hope here tho.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m tired about talking about the game today. With quail opening next weekend, how are quail #’s looking for everyone after the drought? We are way down and I’ve always enjoyed watching the Blue’s run around while I’m hunting. and will throw out some cracked corn and milo near whatever stand I’m hunting just for entertainment. I’m not really seeing any Bob coveys this year and a lot less of the Blues.  I’ve always enjoyed the option of shooting a couple mid afternoon for appetizers and it is looking like this season we will give them a pass for the most part in Webb County. 

apologies for the drunk rambling, but fuck Sark and shitty play. 

1 hour ago, Call said:

I’m tired about talking about the game today. With quail opening next weekend, how are quail #’s looking for everyone after the drought? We are way down and I’ve always enjoyed watching the Blue’s run around while I’m hunting. and will throw out some cracked corn and milo near whatever stand I’m hunting just for entertainment. I’m not really seeing any Bob coveys this year and a lot less of the Blues.  I’ve always enjoyed the option of shooting a couple mid afternoon for appetizers and it is looking like this season we will give them a pass for the most part in Webb County. 

apologies for the drunk rambling, but fuck Sark and shitty play. 

We've actually seen a ton of bobwhite this year, which has been pretty typical for the last 5-6 years.  The Borrego fire ended at our fence line, so I was a bit concerned how much that was going to affect everything, but the quail specifically.  So far everything has been looking like normal.  Haven't seen what I'm wanting wrt antlers yet, though :(    

• Hook 'Em 1

Got out yesterday and spent the afternoon trying to develop loads for my muzzleloaders.

spacer.png

My .54 Caplock Lyman Great Plains Rifle had a crack through the lock area that I had glued, but not only did the glue not hold, but the crack got worse. I guess a new stock would be a fun project to work on.

Shot all afternoon and finally was able to get my .50 flintlock Pedersoli Scout to give a goof enough group for deer out to 100 yards. Turns out it was shooting to the right and I had to drift the front sight to get it on target. I thought I was just flinching bad from not being used to a flintlock, but after my lock got good and dirty and my flints got good and dull, I had enough flashes in the pan and times where the pan failed to ignite to figure out that I wasn't flinching anymore if I ever was. I probably still need to work on follow through, however.

A bit dirty.

spacer.png

Good enough.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

We've actually seen a ton of bobwhite this year, which has been pretty typical for the last 5-6 years.  The Borrego fire ended at our fence line, so I was a bit concerned how much that was going to affect everything, but the quail specifically.  So far everything has been looking like normal.  Haven't seen what I'm wanting wrt antlers yet, though :(    

Love/hate relationship with Bobs.  They always startle the shit out of me when they flush if I’m not in area I’ve seen them previously if I don’t have a dog ahead. Every god damn time.  

As a side note, the new hunting pouch is I've been working on is pretty much done, and the powder horn to go with it is coming along nicely.

spacer.png

The hunting pouch is loosely based on the pouch worn by Stephen F. Austin in this portrait painted during his 1833 trip to Mexico City.

spacer.png

His pouch looks to be made from bobcat or possibly Mexican Jaguar (which likely had a much more extensive range during those times). Not having access to those furs in historically based tanning methods, I've made mine out of deer from the first deer I ever killed which I had the presence of mind to tan using a method that was pretty similar to methods available to settlers at the time. The horn is a Southern banded horn style that comes from North Carolina, where some of my ancestors from the Isaacks family who settled in Texas before the revolution hailed from before they came to Texas. If my research is correct, my great some odd grandmother died during the Runaway Scrape. While I can't find evidence of any direct ancestors fighting in the revolution, there were at least two lines of them who made it here and became Mexicans. The hunting pouch was made with materials and methods as close to accurate as possible to those that would have been available to the settlers of early Texas, and while I've cheated and used a modern drill for the powderhorn, it has so far been otherwise been constructed using only hand tools, and I will be using historically accurate methods such as traditional cuttler's resin to finish it out.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Will post an elk hunt recap later this week or over the weekend, but here's the Cliffs Notes:

-Northern New Mexico is stunning.

-Free range elk hunting is bad ass, and I will be back.

-Check your zero before you hunt so you don't shoot and miss at a bull.  Oof.

-A cow tastes the same as a bull.

-Deboning and prepping elk meat takes much longer than a whitetail. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Say it ain’t so. 

Yup.  Unfortunately, it's true.  I was driving tacks at 300 yds before I left.  Shot and missed a 240 yd shot.  Shooting circumstances were less than ideal, so I chalked it up to the Indian not the arrow.  The last night of the hunt, I shot the cow at 120 yds.  Spine shot her.  Thrice.  Finally walked up and put one in the head to get her down.  First three shots were all within a 6" radius through the spine.  I was aiming for the lungs.  I was 18" high at 120 yds, so 3' high on the 240 yd shot.  To add insult to injury, I blew big holes in both backstraps.  

I need to do some forensics this week.  Either the scope got bumped somehow, or I have something up with the mounts.  Regardless, it suuuuuuuckkkkked and I'm still kicking myself.   More details when I can upload pictures and post them.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Yup.  Unfortunately, it's true.  I was driving tacks at 300 yds before I left.  Shot and missed a 240 yd shot.  Shooting circumstances were less than ideal, so I chalked it up to the Indian not the arrow.  The last night of the hunt, I shot the cow at 120 yds.  Spine shot her.  Thrice.  Finally walked up and put one in the head to get her down.  First three shots were all within a 6" radius through the spine.  I was aiming for the lungs.  I was 18" high at 120 yds, so 3' high on the 240 yd shot.  To add insult to injury, I blew big holes in both backstraps.  

I need to do some forensics this week.  Either the scope got bumped somehow, or I have something up with the mounts.  Regardless, it suuuuuuuckkkkked and I'm still kicking myself.   More details when I can upload pictures and post them.

Dang.  That’s tough. You’ll get it resolved. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I come to this board to read stuff that isn't a crotch kick. This hurt as bad as the game recap. Damn it man.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

How's your lease mate doing? 

Took a trip this Saturday to visit and drop off some things. Turns out small town Arkansas isn't the best place to stock up on topical burn creams and bandages. Also turns out small town Arkansas old people are quite unfamiliar with Amazon and having things delivered. They are getting better slowly. The lady is really just fighting an extremely bad sunburn. The gentleman has some tough days ahead. His arms and legs took the most damage. He gets his wounds cleaned and rebandaged twice a day and it takes about 4 hours to do each time. He should make a full recovery but it's going to be slow. He's come to terms with not hunting this year and has asked us to kill a couple of extra if we could. He takes care of a couple of families and needs 4 deer to not have to buy groceries. 

Edited by Ragde
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

@Spaulding Smails man, that’s a tough go.  Looking forward to the recap and forensics.  Still excited for you and your adventure, though.  New experiences and new learnings.  

————

I was fortunate last weekend to bring another into the fold.  A long-time friend had gotten into shooting the last few years, but he had never had the opportunity to actually go hunting.  He recently moved back to Texas, so I invited him up to the farm to help with hogs.  

Armed with his brand new Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creed and a Sitemark Wraith, he made the trip.  I guided him through three long hunts.  The first night, we were down scope on a sounder when, literally about to take the shot, drunk neighbors unleashed the Second Tet Offensive on their gun range.  Pigs fled.  Nothing the rest of the long night.

The next morning came early, but the hogs didn’t show up until late morning, and when they did, they just barreled through the kill zone - no shot.

That night, for hours we heard pigs but they wouldn’t show.  Finally, a boar poked his head out from a tree line.  99 yards at night, one shot to put him down.  

3D974BF5-F317-4AB4-901E-B4D980668320.thumb.jpeg.6afdd6dc34b153aa5ebd5bed74c764bc.jpeg

I really like what @NotActuallyALonghorn posted about above - hunting can provide a pace that allows the hunter to immerse himself in nature… and therefore grow to appreciate it so much.  My friend got to experience that, and he’s now hooked.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Damn - found out we are in a CWD zone and have to check all whitetail harvests. Kindof puts a damper on the excitement for me. Does anyone here have experience with the process?  Feeling a bit bummed…hoping to hear some positive experiences.

22 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Damn - found out we are in a CWD zone and have to check all whitetail harvests. Kindof puts a damper on the excitement for me. Does anyone here have experience with the process?  Feeling a bit bummed…hoping to hear some positive experiences.

I’ve heard it’s a minor inconvenience but nothing crazy. Ymmv. 

23 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Damn - found out we are in a CWD zone and have to check all whitetail harvests. Kind of puts a damper on the excitement for me. Does anyone here have experience with the process?  Feeling a bit bummed…hoping to hear some positive experiences.

You have to drive a loooong way. That is the inconvenience. Your cwd check station is at I-10 and 2169 I think? That is where I go and it is right down the road. The process is easy unless you have a trophy buck. They like to be able to cut into the cheek and get the lymph node. I THINK they can get what they need from the spine if you keep 2 vertebrae but I am not sure. The process takes less than 10 min. The biologists will age your deer for you so I guess that is a perk.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Great write up @Spaulding Smails , thanks for sharing and great pics! That was a nice bull your partner got! Sucks about your scope - what cartridge and scope are you shooting if you don’t mind?

Do you think your elevation turret could have been turned a full revolution and you didn’t notice? That, or leaving the scope dialed up for some potential shot and forgetting to turn it back to zero is a fear of mine.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, 686 said:

Do you think your elevation turret could have been turned a full revolution and you didn’t notice? That, or leaving the scope dialed up for some potential shot and forgetting to turn it back to zero is a fear of mine.

Great observation - good place to start.

One of my sons took a tuft of hair and hide off the back of a great buck at about 250 yards a few years back.  With his setup and a .300 Win he was on a dead center hold and had a rock solid rest. 

Buck actually dropped in his tracks, then stood up, shook himself off, and trotted away.  No blood - tracking dog spent hours on him and all he found was that tiny piece of hide and a little backstrap.  Bullet passed right above the spine and just skinned a little meat.

I don't recall the specific but his hunting partner finally pointed out that his turret was not set in place.  I think it was left in the adjustment position instead of locked down and had been spinning freely with any bumps in the truck.  Something to check anyway.