Mexican rice

Celery Man

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As ours was always super-simple -- just the rice, onion, and broth....the smell of toasting rice and sizzling onions smells like any number of family member's kitchens.  I wish they made a candle that smelled like that.

Best we can do is Schnitzel with noodles.

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/01/candles-that-smell-like-food-and-drink

Unless . . .

Shopifysizing8_900x.jpg?v=1638362895

Edited by dcbc

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As ours was always super-simple -- just the rice, onion, and broth....the smell of toasting rice and sizzling onions smells like any number of family member's kitchens.  I wish they made a candle that smelled like that.

correct, you want that brief smell of the spices getting a little roast going, then splash....a can of chicken broth

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

correct, you want that brief smell of the spices getting a little roast going, then splash....a can of chicken broth

I laughed so hard when I read that after the preceding few posts and then had to read the quoted part to remember we were talking about rice. 

• Haha 1

Bunch of honkys in this mother.

2:1 water to rice. Liberal amount of Knorr Caldo de tomate stirred into the water and dissolved thoroughly. Mince half a clove of garlic. Brown the rice with just enough canola oil to get the job done and not a drop more while also adding minced garlic. Half an onion sliced into 3rds. One Roma tomato quartered. Two jalapeños sliced longways. Add vegetables in as rice begins to brown. When thoroughly browned, add tomate and water concoction. Bring to a boil, reduce to low roll and then cover for 20 minutes.

Half a garlic clove is almost like no garlic at all.

Learned this from my wife’s grandmother, she was raised in Bigfoot, Texas and had to cook for the family from a young age. Her mother Juanita was from Monterrey. When she got married and moved to South San Antonio she eventually cooked for her family of 10. This is legit stuff.

1 cup rice

1 can diced tomatoes 

2 cups chicken broth made from water and Knorrs Caldo de Pollo. This mixture should be slightly salty because the rice absorbs it.

1 onion diced

2 minced cloves garlic 

Comino( not sure on measurement)

Brown rice, garlic and onions in just enough oil to coat the rice on medium low heat, meanwhile prepare your chicken broth mixture. This mixture needs to be hot. She always told me if you add it cold, it shocks the rice and won’t turn out as good. When rice is brown, add tomatoes and chicken broth, give it a quick stir. Sprinkle comino over the top of the bubbling mixture ( I probably use a little less than a tablespoon). Turn heat down to low. Cover and wait 20 minutes, do not open to check on that shit or you will fuck it up. Take off heat and let it sit for 5. Open and fluff. Voila, the best Mexican rice you’ll ever eat. You can tweak, add jalapeños or whatever prior to closing the lid but don’t deviate from the rest.

• Like 3

Learned this from my wife’s grandmother, she was raised in Bigfoot, Texas and had to cook for the family from a young age. Her mother Juanita was from Monterrey. When she got married and moved to South San Antonio she eventually cooked for her family of 10. This is legit stuff.
1 cup rice
1 can diced tomatoes 
2 cups chicken broth made from water and Knorrs Caldo de Pollo. This mixture should be slightly salty because the rice absorbs it.
1 onion diced
2 minced cloves garlic 
Comino( not sure on measurement)
Brown rice, garlic and onions in just enough oil to coat the rice on medium low heat, meanwhile prepare your chicken broth mixture. This mixture needs to be hot. She always told me if you add it cold, it shocks the rice and won’t turn out as good. When rice is brown, add tomatoes and chicken broth, give it a quick stir. Sprinkle comino over the top of the bubbling mixture ( I probably use a little less than a tablespoon). Turn heat down to low. Cover and wait 20 minutes, do not open to check on that shit or you will fuck it up. Take off heat and let it sit for 5. Open and fluff. Voila, the best Mexican rice you’ll ever eat. You can tweak, add jalapeños or whatever prior to closing the lid but don’t deviate from the rest.

One set of my grandparents is buried in the Bigfoot cemetery. Location is legit, as is the recipe.

first you brown the rice, in a little oil ….

6DE26281-9CF9-4382-86E8-F7E241B64810.thumb.jpeg.055fba5bb70995068f8c3f0520e3aabc.jpeg

get your spices ready (I need to buy comino) …

76D8C131-0D5B-472B-A89A-3584640EE1E0.thumb.jpeg.d009c101449601138bd0e6fa57538421.jpeg

One can of chicken broth, then little less than half can of water. 3/4 cups rice  ….

6A572AFF-0C1E-477C-9907-4075D1A5260D.thumb.jpeg.e05fd8de56459ca60dc724c206d14667.jpeg

Get to a boil, lower temp and cover. Let the magic happen …..

7B743FB7-1005-4B32-A575-70F29635C7AD.thumb.jpeg.181b68ca22e27f69e0ba5ced27a7b0eb.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

I just saw Pati Jinich make a heaping pot of rice that looked amazing.   She started by roasting cherry tomatoes in the oven along with garlic, cumin, oregano and chile pequin.  She added that to toasted jasmine rice cooked with onion in chicken stock and orange juice.

Oh, and Pati.  I don't really care about the food.

• Drool 1

I just saw Pati Jinich make a heaping pot of rice that looked amazing.   She started by roasting cherry tomatoes in the oven along with garlic, cumin, oregano and chile pequin.  She added that to toasted jasmine rice cooked with onion in chicken stock and orange juice.

Back off Pati….she’s mine.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

id be curious what pans she's using. i need a new pan. im rocking a 9.99 heb special, circa 2010 i bet 

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

https://patijinich.com/red-rice/

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 1

Great, thanks for the video.  Different recipe, but equally useful.  I don't think I have it in me to make tomato sauce/puree from scratch every time, but I bet a reasonable facsimile would be an 11.5 oz can of Cambell's Tomato Juice (which is nothing but tomatoes, salt, and ascorbic acid) along with some onion, garlic, etc. in the rice proper.  I'll give it a try soon.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Got it for Mexican rice.  What about Carne Guisada?  Whatcha got?

cube up beef. Whatever is on sale. H‑E‑B Chuck roast on special is perfect. Last time I used New York strip, it was sale. Couple of pieces of beef soup bone for ‘flavor’

simmer the beef then brown. I like to get it very toasty. About 30 mins 

add spices and generous coat flour. Comino, lots. Salt pepper garlic. Some chunks of onion and bell pepper. Maybe a jalapeño. You can try different things here. 

add water and stir slowly. Let the broth thicken

simmer covered For an hour or so

On 9/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, Deej said:

D TRENDS Pati 101048 crop 2.jpg

A hottie, great cook, and a defender of Tex Mex…loves queso too:

The Tex-Mex I tried in the Rio Grande Valley was like no other Tex-Mex in terms of the richness—the flavor, the ingredients. I love Texas breakfast tacos. I love the traditional San Antonio Tex-Mex food. And I do love queso. Mexican purists complain about Tex-Mex queso, but I think it’s just addictive.”

https://texashighways.com/culture/people/in-praise-of-tex-mex-with-tv-chef-pati-jinich/

She is a treasure. I love the diversity of regional and local Mexican foods and hate the crass stupidity of hipsters thinking a street taco is so fucking authentic vs the varieties of TexMex. I had a colleague from Cali tell me emphatically that Mexicans eat only street tacos. Let me take you to Oaxaca for some grubs and crickets motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 4:13 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Let’s do this …

C6910AC0-B1B1-45AE-B721-066A27E8287A.thumb.jpeg.ec5f0a95796bbf4ea1216dc7da29065c.jpeg

brown it, of course …

D843A5A8-C69A-458C-A3A5-A4CA1BE98828.thumb.jpeg.92894c31bf6cbb93b105fce43127d83f.jpeg

add the spices and let it get a little roast ….

B9076A22-D34D-4D3A-A89B-87FBCBCE4B16.thumb.jpeg.8c5733bd6e7212351d42a4643036152d.jpeg

add chicken broth and tomato onion bell pepper ….

FDBBE06A-C6A5-421A-8F56-799812C9FF79.thumb.jpeg.24bd6749b35c71d9a7cdef4668e53d3e.jpeg

bring to a boil …

8D697EA6-85C2-45F6-9651-A142233804C1.thumb.jpeg.d51fde58c83b77838e235cb3357b5957.jpeg

simmer about 8 mins. Shut off heat and let it set. Done …

8BD2CAF6-9A76-485F-BD6F-BB68794BC2EC.jpeg

Looks amazing! Need to try it asap

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2022 at 3:02 PM, threesheets said:

Son asked me to whip up something for lunch.  Had some leftover chicken thighs, some basmati, chicken broth,  and holy shit, we had Sazon packets. No onion though unfortunately.  So simple and so damn good.  Pre-stir pic:

20221022_144332.jpg

that's how you do it !!!