MF thieves

Shaddie

Well it has happened. 2020 Tacoma catalytic was stolen last night. 
6-8 weeks for new one because they are stolen so much. 

Truck is in Austin so any Toyota techs or managers here that might make the wait a little shorter. Truck is at Round Rock Toyota. 

I would definitely make it worthwhile 

Ok. I’m an idiot. 

Since truck will be down so long trying to figure out Uber and Lyft. 
It appears to reserve something is very different price. 

Do most users wait till they are at airport before sending or do you reserve before getting on plane?

Bunch of truck guys I know have added skid plates to their trucks just to deter cat thieves. (Otherwise no actual off-road need.) This is a massive problem nationwide right now, and there is very little enforcement being done. The easiest place to crack down is the buyers (the scrap yards who are paying cash to people walking in with random cutoff cats), but it isn't a priority for anyone.

55 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Bunch of truck guys I know have added skid plates to their trucks just to deter cat thieves. (Otherwise no actual off-road need.) This is a massive problem nationwide right now, and there is very little enforcement being done. The easiest place to crack down is the buyers (the scrap yards who are paying cash to people walking in with random cutoff cats), but it isn't a priority for anyone.

sounds like they're shipping them to junk yards all over the place. ill guess the junk yard lobbyist are pretty damn strong in Texas

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/catalytic-converter-bust-more-than-1m-of-stolen-goods-seized-1-arrested-harris-county/285-ba43f167-597b-4c2a-b34d-0ca70b9b0cb0

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

If there is a downstream O2 sensor, that could really fuck with the computer.

Yeah it’ll throw a cel but downstream shouldn’t lean you out too bad. If so, but a knockoff and weld it in until your OEM comes back. Everyone I know that’s had this happen has been >3 months. 

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Fuck the thieves.  Booby traps should be legal.  

These thieves are serious, if you engage - shoot to kill and don’t hesitate. They’re ready to murder you for your converter 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10676987/amp/Texas-deputy-shot-dead-spotting-men-trying-steal-trucks-catalytic-converter.html

https://abc13.com/amp/man-shot-and-killed-by-sugar-land-police-catalytic-converter-theft-suspect-fatal-shooting-officer-shoots/11822991/

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Galleria parking garages and Williams tower  have accounted for 100% of the people I know who’ve been affected. 

I didn't realize people hoarded their shit at Williams Tower and The Galleria.

Wife had it happen on her last vehicle which was an Expedition. It was early in this whole deal because the thieves sucked so bad they cut all the way through the floor board, broke their blade off, and left everything hanging including the half cut off converter. We never could figure out where it happened at, but that was all fun to get repaired.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Use your garage for parking instead of hoarding shit you don't need.

I was at hotel. Hampton Inn on Dell Way. 

Will get a skid plate thing that is riveted on. Won’t completely stop them but it won’t be as easy. 

Not csb- 

A guy I worked with years ago was arrested for killing a guy who was trying to steal the catalytic converter from his truck. Hurst or NRH or somewhere like that. 
It was a Saturday morning. His truck was parked in the driveway. He heard the noise of the electric saw and ran outside in his robe, carrying a pistol. He yelled at the thief, who fled. The ex co-worker shot at him and the thief drive away and died like a mile away. 
Homeowner didn’t call the police, but they found him and arrested him with murder. The grand jury decided not to charge him. 
All in all- I like the “keep your car in the garage” idea. I’m also a fan of not shooting crooks that are running away (I mean- do you want that on your conscience?). 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’m also a fan of not shooting crooks that are running away (I mean- do you want that on your conscience?). 

I generally agree - but a cc is different. You're fucking with someone's livelihood when you do that (it's also a felony - which makes it pretty legal to shoot someone in the act) . It's not the same as putting someone's car on blocks or breaking a window to snag something inside. 

AND - if you're electing to do that in Texas you KNOW that someone could shoot your ass. You wanna spin that roulette wheel you better understand the consequences.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

Not csb- 
A guy I worked with years ago was arrested for killing a guy who was trying to steal the catalytic converter from his truck. Hurst or NRH or somewhere like that. 
It was a Saturday morning. His truck was parked in the driveway. He heard the noise of the electric saw and ran outside in his robe, carrying a pistol. He yelled at the thief, who fled. The ex co-worker shot at him and the thief drive away and died like a mile away. 
Homeowner didn’t call the police, but they found him and arrested him with murder. The grand jury decided not to charge him. 
All in all- I like the “keep your car in the garage” idea. I’m also a fan of not shooting crooks that are running away (I mean- do you want that on your conscience?). 

Death is the only way they learn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I generally agree - but a cc is different. You're fucking with someone's livelihood when you do that (it's also a felony - which makes it pretty legal to shoot someone in the act) . It's not the same as putting someone's car on blocks or breaking a window to snag something inside. 

Ok, so … here is a csb-

My dad was a combat marksman (sniper) in Vietnam. 15 years ago, we were at my folks’ house for some holiday. Dad and I were sitting in the dining room alone, drinking glasses of wine. Dad, wearing a cardigan, took a sip. “You know what, (statsman), this is nice, having the whole family here”. 
Takes another sip. 
“Sometimes I think about the guys I shot in Vietnam. I wonder- if I hadn’t shot them (I notice he didn’t say “killed”), would they have holidays with their families? Children and grandchildren even?”

Takes a sip. 
“Oh, well. They were trying to kill me as hard as I was trying to kill them”. 

Take away- no, you do not want that on your conscience. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ok, so … here is a csb-

My dad was a combat marksman (sniper) in Vietnam. 15 years ago, we were at my folks’ house for some holiday. Dad and I were sitting in the dining room alone, drinking glasses of wine. Dad, wearing a cardigan, took a sip. “You know what, (statsman), this is nice, having the whole family here”. 
Takes another sip. 
“Sometimes I think about the guys I shot in Vietnam. I wonder- if I hadn’t shot them (I notice he didn’t say “killed”), would they have holidays with their families? Children and grandchildren even?”

Takes a sip. 
“Oh, well. They were trying to kill me as hard as I was trying to kill them”. 

Take away- no, you do not want that on your conscience. 

I obviously haven't killed anyone so I can't speak from experience. And I understand the calculus that you're presenting. However, I think a conflict like Vietnam is more morally ambiguous than shooting a piece of shit cc thief. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Not csb- 

It wouldn't bother me at all to shoot a fucking thief of converters.  I'm pretty sure of it.  Deserve's got a lot to do with it.

Eliminating  multiple levels of deliberate shitheel decisions against regular people like me  would very likely ease any guilt that I might feel.

Edited by slorch

Uhh yeah I’m not killing another human being over stealing something…especially the cat off my car.  Scare him away, hold him for the cops, shoot out his tires if he’s close, whatever.  Dude may be a piece of shit thief, but he’s still a person with a family and may be in desperate circumstances…or not…I’m still not killing someone over it.  

Now I catch you in my house with my family home and you don’t immediately run?  Different story.  

Y’all live out your castle doctrine fantasies. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Uhh yeah I’m not killing another human being over stealing something…especially the cat off my car.  Scare him away, hold him for the cops, shoot out his tires if he’s close, whatever.  Dude may be a piece of shit thief, but he’s still a person with a family and may be in desperate circumstances…or not…I’m still not killing someone over it.  

Now I catch you in my house with my family home and you don’t immediately run?  Different story.  

Semantics.

If they'll come on my property with required tools, while forcibly removing something they have to roll on the ground to get to; yeah, I'm sure they'll stop at that, right?

Just limited nuisances, I guess. Or maybe they are openly declaring they give no fucks about that family at home.

There are plenty of places to get help.  Under my truck ain't a real good one.

Edited by slorch

Pussy
  • Haha 1

Both cats on my CTS-V died within a year and could only find one OEM…ended up selling the car as I got tired of trying to fix it.  My wife’s Explorer is starting to throw those codes now too.  I’m to the point that I may start mining for palladium and platinum.  I currently hate the fucking things.  

I’d bet most of those folks are in a shitty situation trying to make a buck, which doesn’t excuse their actions at all but I think the better solution is to come down hard on those buying them…not killing another person.  As noted I’d intend to scare the shit out of them and bet they aren’t coming back, I wouldn’t live in fear they’re going to break into my house to fuck with my family.  

But you do you man.  You’re not alone.  My NextDoor feed is full of people itching to shoot those folks.  I’m just saying it’s not me…the legal hassle, the potential guilt, the permanent change I know would grip me after killing another person, isn’t remotely worth it.

Directly threatening me or my family is the only conceivable circumstance I could see shooting someone.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, Shaddie said:

Well it has happened. 2020 Tacoma catalytic was stolen last night. 
6-8 weeks for new one because they are stolen so much. 

Truck is in Austin so any Toyota techs or managers here that might make the wait a little shorter. Truck is at Round Rock Toyota. 

I would definitely make it worthwhile 

Get a test pipe with a bung for an O2 sensor and get one of those mini-cat sensor extensions, be done with it forever.  

• Hook 'Em 1