Tulsa King with Stallone

Brothahorn

On 11/22/2022 at 10:00 PM, 'stache said:

Sly can act, great episode. The building in the background of the Center of the Universe is where I worked for 12 years and the parking garage is where I parked. The legend of that spot is real, there’s $5 million or so to make that spot much nicer as a destination. Hope it stays this good. The weed car scene was fun.

Haven't watched, but what building are you talking about? BOK Tower or Jazz Depot?

so my only question re: episode 4....

Spoiler

its Oklahoma... you are telling me that not a single fucking bike-gang member out of 10 or so that were there didnt carry anything? 

I mean fuck. even the Hells Angels all have ball peen hammers.   and assuming that at least one gang member isnt a convicted felon, not a single concealed carry amongst them?

ESPECIALLY since their baldhead, glass wearing leader is on the ATF radar for weapons trafficking

and extra lol at Vinny Delpino getting "the taste" of gangster back in his life and immediately going Hank Hill on his neighbor.

Bulleit Bourbon makes an appearance. Looked like the barrel strength. 

I'm glad Benny Fazio isn't a rat, but he walked away from the life. Real life Benny is probably safe. Sheridan-verse Benny is probably in real danger from New York. 

The Tyson - family dynamic stuff is really good. 

Andrea Savage is a fox at 49, and believable as Dwight's paramour. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I like how everyone just stands back and lets him finish.

damn, i mean damn.... that was a heck of a last 90 seconds there.

Damn, I guess after 25 years in the penitentiary he is ready to take of business with no fucks given.

This show is fucking perfect. It delivers exactly what you would expect. I'll generally watch Stallone in almost anything, but this is a definitely a cut above his usual stuff. 

When Arnold and him finally retire to that farm in the country, I don't think anyone will replace them for many years. The Rock is somewhat close, but he's just not quite there. They really are the last of their breed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The show is my wheelhouse and it's wildly entertaining to me. I was ready to bail after Sly was too much OG Rocky in episode 1 but I'm honestly pretty impressed with the chops and depth he has shown through the first 5 episodes. The weed scene was one of the best TV scenes in my recent memory. And he went pretty hard in E5 reciting the eulogy for his brother. It's funny if this were any random dipshit actor like Ian Ziering I wouldn't have even noticed the performance but since it was Stallone it stood out in a big way to me. 

Love the show, going to need further mob breakdown analysis from @billfromlaketravis

10 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

When Arnold and him finally retire to that farm in the country, I don't think anyone will replace them for many years. The Rock is somewhat close, but he's just not quite there. They really are the last of their breed. 

The Rock can't risk his audience by doing hard R action flicks.   He is my 10 YO's favorite actor. That's his audience. Maybe once his star dims a bit, he can have a second life as an old hardcore action star.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

The show is my wheelhouse and it's wildly entertaining to me. I was ready to bail after Sly was too much OG Rocky in episode 1 but I'm honestly pretty impressed with the chops and depth he has shown through the first 5 episodes. The weed scene was one of the best TV scenes in my recent memory. And he went pretty hard in E5 reciting the eulogy for his brother. It's funny if this were any random dipshit actor like Ian Ziering I wouldn't have even noticed the performance but since it was Stallone it stood out in a big way to me. 

Love the show, going to need further mob breakdown analysis from @billfromlaketravis

The mob now, Jesus, it's different. Dwight probably hires a terminally ill Blood to kill the Package and then drives him to his chemo treatment. There have been some recent hits that are very personal, and not sanctioned. Sally Daz was murdered by his son and a hitman in October 2018. He was a top associate/earner for the Bonannos. Basically a jailed boss asked the acting boss to protect Sally Saz, and the acting boss told him to f*** off. 

I think Dwight's Family is Colombo inspired. The Brooklyn thing. Long history of top earners reporting directly up to the boss and not having a crew. They make a big deal out of Vince being higher up and a capo when talking about Dwight. 

Getting shelved = basically like getting excommunicated in the Middle Ages. You might get exiled or you might not, but you can't interact with associates/made members of crime families. The mob pod heads try to make it sound pretty serious, but it sounds completely toothless to me. Dwight could be shelved and do almost exactly what he's doing on the show without paying tribute. 

Probably a better approach for Dwight. He would owe Herc exactly jack shit. 

I'm sure Sheridan will turn into some Sicario level shit, with 50 New York assassins after Dwight. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The Rock can't risk his audience by doing hard R action flicks.   He is my 10 YO's favorite actor. That's his audience. Maybe once his star dims a bit, he can have a second life as an old hardcore action star.

In 10 years, The Rock will do a re-make of The Terminator 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Getting shelved = basically like getting excommunicated in the Middle Ages. You might get exiled or you might not, but you can't interact with associates/made members of crime families. The mob pod heads try to make it sound pretty serious, but it sounds completely toothless to me. Dwight could be shelved and do almost exactly what he's doing on the show without paying tribute. 

Probably a better approach for Dwight. He would owe Herc exactly jack shit. 

I'm sure Sheridan will turn into some Sicario level shit, with 50 New York assassins after Dwight. 

+ Rep for properly referring to him as Herc rather than Vic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Oh fuck, what an ending. They just let him do it, lol! I think he’s got more respect than they let on. Sly’s acting is captivating in a way I didn’t expect. I hope this series becomes something he’s remembered for long term.

It was kind of an odd sequence, though. Like the guy's head was an over-inflated watermelon. 

I know and understand Taylor Sheridan's schtick in these shows... and I still really enjoy this show so far.

and I fully understand its completely laughable fiction.

Spoiler

but on what planet does a 1% biker gang member who has been told to shoot up the rivals place of business do so without any fucking concept that he needs to do it either

A) after you are 99.9% sure that the building is empty or

B) be aware that if you are going to shoot up a redneck honkytonk in OKLA-FUCKING-HOMA that is run by rednecks, that honkytonk just might, possibly somehow have patrons with guns... OR the bar owner(s) might, you know, have guns as well.  so maybe bring a partner to watch your back

but no, in Taylor's universe, our 1% gang member rides his bike by himself, waits until the moment the building's interior lights are turned off (which by definition means you fucking know that at least SOMEONE is still in the building), and then proceeds to stand by himself, in front of his bike,  in the parking lot... firing shot after shot after shot into the building .... without bothering to even consider that maybe one or more of those rednecks might decide to shoot back. 

and he gets got.

I understand its being done to move the plot along... but that is absolutely a terrible bit of "what would happen in the real world vs Taylor's world" writing.

20 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I know and understand Taylor Sheridan's schtick in these shows... and I still really enjoy this show so far.

and I fully understand its completely laughable fiction.

Hide contents

but on what planet does a 1% biker gang member who has been told to shoot up the rivals place of business do so without any fucking concept that he needs to do it either

A) after you are 99.9% sure that the building is empty or

B) be aware that if you are going to shoot up a redneck honkytonk in OKLA-FUCKING-HOMA that is run by rednecks, that honkytonk just might, possibly somehow have patrons with guns... OR the bar owner(s) might, you know, have guns as well.  so maybe bring a partner to watch your back

but no, in Taylor's universe, our 1% gang member rides his bike by himself, waits until the moment the building's interior lights are turned off (which by definition means you fucking know that at least SOMEONE is still in the building), and then proceeds to stand by himself, in front of his bike,  in the parking lot... firing shot after shot after shot into the building .... without bothering to even consider that maybe one or more of those rednecks might decide to shoot back. 

and he gets got.

I understand its being done to move the plot along... but that is absolutely a terrible bit of "what would happen in the real world vs Taylor's world" writing.

Everyone is having a hard time finding good help these days.

Extorting and moving in on a legal, licensed business because it still sounds criminal to certain people.  The "call me 'It' cuz I can't take this shit" pronouns speech.  The bikers selling laughing gas.  All had me laughing so hard I put the show on pause.

It's great.  He knows his audience.

• Like 1

I don’t buy LCN would touch Dwight’s family. Again they’d shelve him. He’d tell them to f*** off, and that would probably be it. 

Herc’s dad storyline is believable. There are 3 types of LCN bosses : 1) Dumb asses like Gotti and Persico that want LCN to be the family business. 2) Bosses like Gigante they put their kids in plum union jobs. 3) Many others that wanted their kids to go to school and have nothing to do with the life. 

Dwight has to go to his boss’ funeral. I expect fireworks.

I’m here for Herc as a villain. 

Admitting to an ATF agent that you killed a cooperating witness is well, a move. Sheridan-Verse!

Box of Frogs clueing Dwight in on his crypto scheme is probably ill advised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Dwight has to go to his boss’ funeral. I expect fireworks.

I’m here for Herc as a villain. 

Admitting to an ATF agent that you killed a cooperating witness is well, a move. Sheridan-Verse

Box of Frogs clueing Dwight in on his crypto scheme is probably ill advised. 

i admit to watching this weeks episode a smidge inebriated, but did he actually confess that he killed the biker guy?  all I rememeber is him dancing around the question when she brought it up. 

and yes, lol at bodhi telling and showing Dwight that hes worth at least 7.5M. 

23 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i admit to watching this weeks episode a smidge inebriated, but did he actually confess that he killed the biker guy?  all I rememeber is him dancing around the question when she brought it up. 

and yes, lol at bodhi telling and showing Dwight that hes worth at least 7.5M. 

The biker boss killed the witness and later alluded to it on the witness’ phone with the ATF agent. 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:52 AM, RPM said:

Hooooly shit! The season finale is going to be epic.

"We're going to war!"

Emmys, Emmys all over this show.

It’s a fun piece of entertainment and Stallone is good but it’s certainly not the type of prestige TV that wins awards. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah. I really like it, but the plot is advancing suspiciously quickly and it is becoming more reliant on shootouts and such. They aren't spending as much time developing characters and storylines as they did in the first few episodes. It's funny because a lot of people complain about things like the above in lieu of more action, and I'm a 90s action movie buff but in a show today I really like all of that development. 

I do really like Tyson's character and I'm gonna be pissed if he gets dead.

I also like Teller (I think that's his name, the bar owner). Hell I even like Bodhi and Amber had a nice little moment in this last episode.

Hopefully Dwight gets a cell next to Kurt Russell's.

Additional random opinions that don't need to be shared but I'm on a roll. 

I don't like Chiklis. Obviously I don't like his character but I just don't like him as an actor. He always seems so typecast and forced. I thought he played a good asshole as Herc with an ounce of empathy but since then he's just always an asshole with a bad accent. 

His underboss is Chandler Bing's younger cousin who got beat up a lot in grade school.

I also appreciated the appearance of Archie Manning to instruct Dwight on how he was hip to his game.