Insulin

GenXer

My critique of the Infrastructure Bill and its lack of lowering insulin cost in the political cartoon thread raised the ire of several people. I thought the discussion merited its own thread.

My critique of the Democrats’ solution of capping the price centered around the lack of creative solutions to lower the cost. I offered a couple of suggestions which I won’t rehash here.

In the other thread, one poster said the insulin cost problem will be addressed in another bill: Affordable Insulin Now act.

The following is taken from the congressional website.

This bill limits cost-sharing for insulin under private health insurance and the Medicare prescription drug benefit.

Specifically, the bill caps cost-sharing under private health insurance for a month's supply of selected insulin products at $35 or 25% of a plan's negotiated price (after any price concessions), whichever is less, beginning in 2023.

The bill caps cost-sharing under the Medicare prescription drug benefit for a month's supply of covered insulin products at $35 beginning in 2023.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/6833

The above wording concerns me as it protects those of us with private health insurance through our employers and those covered under medicare. But does it also protect those with no health insurance? Does it protect those with an ACA marketplace health insurance plan? 

Another concern I have about the bill is that it gives political ammunition for republicans.  Republicans and their foxnews propaganda machine demonized ACA for nearly a decade. It was very effective as a tool to mobilize low-information voters.

I can already hear pharma earning calls blaming low insulin margins once the price cap eventually goes into effect albeit years from now. I can hear them complain that its affecting their ability to develop new drugs. 

foxnews will demonize this bill and Dems will suffer politically with those same low-information voters.

I’m distraught by the trap Dems have built for themselves and their lack of creativity with the bill. Introducing more insulin providers and competition in the space is a much better solution as it uses the republican argument against them.

I'm confused. I thought the Inflation Reduction Act addressed insulin, but only for Medicare. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/16/inflation-reduction-act-to-cap-costs-for-medicare-patients-on-insulin.html

A new legislative package signed into law by President Joe Biden on Tuesday is a big win for Medicare patients who struggle to cover the cost of insulin to manage their diabetes.

But the bill, called the Inflation Reduction Act, falls short of applying those cost controls to the broader patient population who rely on insulin.

The bill limits insulin copays to $35 per month for Medicare Part D beneficiaries starting in 2023. Notably, seniors covered by Medicare also have a $2,000 annual out-of-pocket cap on Part D prescription drugs starting in 2025. Medicare will also now have the ability to negotiate the costs of certain prescription drugs.

Democrats pursued the Inflation Reduction Act through a process called budget reconciliation, or a simple party majority.

In that process, the Senate Parliamentarian ruled broader insulin reform for non-Medicare patients could not be included in the legislation. Senate lawmakers then sought 60 votes in order to keep it in the bill. But they fell short with just 57 votes, as 43 lawmakers opposed it.

The result was a disappointment, Gabbay said. Legislation capping the cost of insulin, or the cost of care to people with diabetes, has already been passed in 23 states and Washington, D.C.

Starting in 2023, the Inflation Reduction Act will cap the cost of insulin for Medicare beneficiaries at $35 per month and will include those who use insulin pumps

11 minutes ago, GenXer said:

My critique of the Infrastructure Bill and its lack of lowering insulin cost in the political cartoon thread raised the ire of several people. I thought the discussion merited its own thread.

My critique of the Democrats’ solution of capping the price centered around the lack of creative solutions to lower the cost. I offered a couple of suggestions which I won’t rehash here.

In the other thread, one poster said the insulin cost problem will be addressed in another bill: Affordable Insulin Now act.

This bill limits cost-sharing for insulin under private health insurance and the Medicare prescription drug benefit.

Specifically, the bill caps cost-sharing under private health insurance for a month's supply of selected insulin products at $35 or 25% of a plan's negotiated price (after any price concessions), whichever is less, beginning in 2023.

The bill caps cost-sharing under the Medicare prescription drug benefit for a month's supply of covered insulin products at $35 beginning in 2023.

The above wording concerns me as it protects those of us with private health insurance through our employers and those covered under medicare. But does it also protect those with no health insurance? Does it protect those with an ACA marketplace health insurance plan? 

Another concern I have about the bill is that it gives political ammunition for republicans.  Republicans and their foxnews propaganda machine demonized ACA for nearly a decade. It was very effective as a tool to mobilize low-information voters.

I can already hear pharma earning calls blaming low insulin margins once the price cap eventually goes into effect albeit years from now. I can hear them complain that its affecting their ability to develop new drugs. 

foxnews will demonize this bill and Dems will suffer politically with those same low-information voters.

I’m distraught by the trap Dems have built for themselves and their lack of creativity with the bill. Introducing more insulin providers and competition in the space is a much better solution as it uses the republican argument against them.

Eat a bag of dicks concern troll. It's not the dems fault that the republicans removed it from the bill and abused the filibuster rules to prevent its readdition.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republicans-strip-35-insulin-price-cap-democrats-bill/story?id=88069589

43 fucking GQP'ers vote against the measure, and this low information chud says "hOw CoUlD tHe DeMs MeSs ThIs Up???"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also who gives one iota of fuck how Fox News will spin it? Those viewers are brainwashed and divorced from reality. They’d spin Trump picking up a gun and shooting someone as the Dem’s fault. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also who gives one iota of fuck how Fox News will spin it? Those viewers are brainwashed and divorced from reality. They’d spin Trump picking up a gun and shooting someone as the Dem’s fault. 

Also about 80% of their viewership either uses insulin or will need to use insulin in the next 20 years. Making that cheaper ain't going to kill any D or R.

48 minutes ago, GenXer said:

They lied about it reducing inflation so they could get this green new deal through. You’re overthinking it. 

• Fuck You 9

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

They lied about it reducing inflation so they could get this green new deal through. You’re overthinking it. 

You might look at the polling around the items in the bill that was passed. Of course, you might not as well.

This bill is so far from the "Green New Deal" it's hilarious, but feel free to regurgitate those Fox News talking points, you simpleton. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Eat a bag of dicks concern troll. It's not the dems fault that the republicans removed it from the bill and abused the filibuster rules to prevent its readdition.

Yeah. I can see why you’re skeptical. I did set myself up with using “concern” several times in my OP.

Let me be clear about my motivation. I fucking hate republicans. Their demonization of ACA and rebranding it is obamacare to demonize it was sickening.

I campaigned for Beto for his senate run in 2018. I hosted a phone bank and worked several myself.

I’m a type 1 and have been one for 35 years. Found out my freshman year of college. I was in the ICU for one week with pancreatitis and a regular hospital room for one additional week. I remember the nurse bringing me a syringe and an orange to practice injections. Sticking yourself with a needle the first time is a big hurdle when you’re 18. They wouldn’t release me from the hospital until I had started giving myself insulin injections. Simple math puts me at over 60,000 injections I’ve given myself. That’s a shit ton of insulin.

When I turned diabetic, insulin cost $13 a bottle for a mobth’s supply. Minimum wage was $3.33. My insulin now for the two types are $50 and$300. 

The cap of $35 per month is great but I’m concerned about the 19 year old college student that may not have health insurance. Will that person who is barely scraping by fall through the cracks with this bill? I was that person 35 years ago.

48 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I'm confused. I thought the Inflation Reduction Act addressed insulin, but only for Medicare. 

Correct. There’s a follow-up bill for insulin to address a wider group. The bill that passed only helps the olds.

2 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

You might look at the polling around the items in the bill that was passed. Of course, you might not as well.

This bill is so far from the "Green New Deal" it's hilarious, but feel free to regurgitate those Fox News talking points, you simpleton. 

I’m not hating, they tricked ol’ Manchin. That’s the way the game is played. 

2 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Yeah. I can see why you’re skeptical. I did set myself up with using “concern” several times in my OP.

Let me be clear about my motivation. I fucking hate republicans. Their demonization of ACA and rebranding it is obamacare to demonize it was sickening.

I campaigned for Beto for his senate run in 2018. I hosted a phone bank and worked several myself.

I’m a type 1 and have been one for 35 years. Found out my freshman year of college. I was in the ICU for one week with pancreatitis and a regular hospital room for one additional week. I remember the nurse bringing me a syringe and an orange to practice injections. Sticking yourself with a needle the first time is a big hurdle when you’re 18. They wouldn’t release me from the hospital until I had started giving myself insulin injections. Simple math puts me at over 60,000 injections I’ve given myself. That’s a shit ton of insulin.

When I turned diabetic, insulin cost $13 a bottle for a mobth’s supply. Minimum wage was $3.33. My insulin now for the two types are $50 and$300. 

I hear you - but from the jump you're putting the blame on the democrats, who all voted to retain the insulin $35 price cap. 43 of the senate republicans voted against this cap.

How is this the democrats fault?

Should they have instead passed no legislation because they couldn't get 100%, which would definitely be worse in terms of GQP propaganda? Or should they take the wins they can, and continue to press legislation to get those gaps met?

The cap of $35 per month is great but I’m concerned about the 19 year old college student that may not have health insurance. Will that person who is barely scraping by fall through the cracks with this bill? I was that person 35 years ago.

Hey man, insurance industry takers need to send their kids to exclusive private schools too! You can't expect them to go to public school!

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s also pure deflection bc ole Manchin tricked the GOP by “killing” BBB 2.0 to get them to vote for CHIPS and then was the main driver of bringing BBB 2.0 back as the IRA 

Edited by Js1

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is true unfortunately. As a type 1, ACA was extremely important to me. It introduced legislation that prevented insurance companies from refusing to sell health insurance to diabetics. Prior to ACA, I couldn’t buy health insurance. I could get it through my employer but bot individually. This put me in a precarious position during the great recession. 

I listened to every republican politician demonize obamacare and run on a platform to overturn it. Uninformed voters lined up to pull the GOP lever.

GOP will do this again with the new insulin bill. The writing is on the wall. Once again, I fucking hate republicans.

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

They cornered him with a bunch of economic advisors and convinced him it will reduce inflation. You gotta play dirty sometimes. 

lol. Manchin doesn't give one single fuck about inflation, climate change, or insulin. 

They probably got him to sign, the same way Republicans got him to vote no on other legislation. They paid his fee. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

lol. Manchin doesn't give one single fuck about inflation, climate change, or insulin. 

They probably got him to sign, the same way Republicans got him to vote no on other legislation. They paid his fee. 

whatever it takes.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

No, you are wrong.  There was a secret meeting where the Dems lied to him and confused him with smart economic advisors.  Isn’t that obvious. Let’s see what other stuff we can make up and throw out there and watch the sheeple believe.  

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, allow me to correct you. The economic advisor Manchin himself has been going to for advice for years told him that this bill wouldn't INCREASE inflation in the short term, would reduce it long term, and would in fact lower the national debt. They "played dirty" by...having manchin's private advisor of years tell him that it was a good bill that wouldn't increase inflation. A clear power move to turn and cultivate an economic advisor a decade ahead of Manchin turning to him for advice FOR JUST THIS OCCASION! 

I guess the Dems can also predict power ball numbers. 

You're either ignorant and unaware of the facts and yet posting with confidence, or you're lying on purpose. Either way, fuck off. 

It’s doesn’t reduce it long term. They tricked an old man, it’s ok to admit it. 

• Fuck You 10

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I hear you - but from the jump you're putting the blame on the democrats, who all voted to retain the insulin $35 price cap. 43 of the senate republicans voted against this cap.

How is this the democrats fault?

I’m not blaming the Democrats. I’m suggesting they aren’t thinking outside the box.

The cap is one approach to reducing costs. I’m suggesting that Democrats should be more aggressive.

cross-posting my suggestions from the political cartoon thread here.

1. Allow US residents to purchase insulin (and other prescription meds) from international online providers that have FDA approval. This is a layup. It plays into the republican philosophy of competition driving prices down.

2. This one is more challenging. Build an insulin manufacturing facility(s) and partner with a company like costplus for online sales and distribution. Insulin costs less than $10 per vial to produce. Costplus’ model is cost plus 10%. This would make insulin affordable to those without health insurance. This initiative fits well into the philosophy of improving our infrastructure.  This could’ve been framed as a national security issue as diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the US. Like Trump, funds could be appropriated from the military like they were for his wall. These funds could’ve been used to stand up the facility. Profits from insulin sales could then pay back the military.

I also think legislation should be included that requires doctors’ insulin prescriptions to include generics. My gut and my experience tells me that doctors lazily put the brand name on prescriptions and don’t tell the patient about the generic name of the same drug. This can have a pretty big financial impact.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I still don't understand your logic.

Dems should do...nothing (?).... because Fox News will demonize it.  So you want them to just win? 

Yes. That’s exactly what I said. Sigh.

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

No, you are wrong.  There was a secret meeting where the Dems lied to him and confused him with smart economic advisors.  Isn’t that obvious. Let’s see what other stuff we can make up and throw out there and watch the sheeple believe.  

Yeah, I guess they’re rebranding it the Climate, Health, and Tax bill because it’s so effective at attacking inflation. You guys are hilarious. 

• Fuck You 2

Actually you're not really saying much.

You want it done a certain way and if they don't do it that way, it's a bad policy and will destroy the Dems in November.  Despite it not being their fault. 

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

It’s doesn’t reduce it long term. They tricked an old man, it’s ok to admit it. 

Of course you can't speak to any other part of my post, which directly responded to the specifics of your post in regards to "Cornering him in a room with 'experts.'" You have no factual response, you have no  logical response, you only retort with "no they tricked an old man." It's fucking pathetic, and sad. 

Allow me to respond with a similar post, although at least I am basing it on  your posting history and general behavior. "The only person fooled here was you, because you're dumb as fuck and enjoy being willfully ignorant."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Of course you can't speak to any other part of my post, which directly responded to the specifics of your post in regards to "Cornering him in a room with 'experts.'" You have no factual response, you have no  logical response, you only retort with "no they tricked an old man." It's fucking pathetic, and sad. 

Allow me to respond with a similar post, although at least I am basing it on  your posting history and general behavior. "The only person fooled here was you, because you're dumb as fuck and enjoy being willfully ignorant."

Hey now, McConnell and the Senate Republicans got fooled too.  

Recycled script: Republicans block most of what Dems try to do and use Fox News and other outlets to convince their horde of idiots that Dems never get anything done.  When Republicans take back the Congress and can't get anything done, they'll call the Dems "obstructionists" with a straight face and their idiot horde will lap it up, because they're an idiot horde. 

All the while, the problem is obvious to most of us: Congress never gets shit done no matter which side has control because it's all too divided, and the blame for that falls squarely on the 21st Century Tea Party & Trumpism Republicans for becoming literally the worst collection of human beings since the Nazis.  You can't work with people to make the country better when their goal is to destroy it and rebuild it into a Dystopian Christian Hellscape.  And they can't work with libtards, because even their idiot horde might go, "heyyyy, wait..."

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Also about 80% of their viewership either uses insulin or will need to use insulin in the next 20 years. Making that cheaper ain't going to kill any D or R.

That’s the irony of this whole thing. People voting republican continually do so against their own self interest. That’s fine if they want to fuck themselves over but they don’t give a shit about the struggling 20 year old type 1 diabetic.

When I worked the beto phone bank in his 2018 senate run, I would tell my story to the person the automated call connected me to. I feel like I reached a few people and made them consider the benefits of Obamacare. However, one person just said I don’t care. I just shook my head and wondered if the foxnews grooming had rooted itself so deep that critical thought was impossible or if the person was a sociopath.

Amazingly enough, two weeks before the election, It appeared that Cruz’s team realized that ACA was now politically advantageous to support, and he changed his message. Cruz is a worthless piece of shit but I feel like ACA is safer now that his ilk aren’t demonizing it.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Stop lying about it reducing inflation, it feels good to be honest. 

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Stop lying about it reducing inflation, it feels good to be honest. 

So now your attempting to pivot from your lies about manchin and his advisor is to taking umbrage with the name of the plan, which you consider "lying." Why don't you take your own fucking advice, you disingenuous piece of shit?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/15/larry-summers-emerges-as-the-unlikeliest-democratic-hero-00051433

His name was Larry Summers, and he's a former treasury secretary, and he's been a vocal biden critic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The federal government is fucked for the foreseeable future.  Move to a real state.

HB21-1307 & Emergency and 12-Month Insulin Supply

The Insulin Affordability Program was created by HB21-1307 (Prescription Insulin Pricing and Access). Beginning January 1, 2022, eligible individuals can receive a 12-month prescription for insulin for no more than a $50 copay for a 30-day supply and an emergency 30-day supply of insulin once per 12-month period for no more than a $35 copay. The law directs the Division to create an application for the program. 

The program will go into effect January 1, 2022.

Insulin Affordability Program for Emergency and 12-Month Insulin Supply Application

Who qualifies for the Insulin Affordability Program?

To be eligible for this program you must:

Be a resident of Colorado

Have a current prescription for insulin

Pay more than $100 for a 30-day supply for your insulin

Present identification proving Colorado residency including, but not limited to, a valid Colorado identification card, driver's license or permit, or tribal-issued identification. If you are a minor under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must provide proof of residency.

All this dirty socialism and we still get a tax break:

On May 23, 2022, Gov. Jared Polis signed a new law (Senate Bill 22-233) to give Coloradans a tax rebate of $750 for individual filers and $1,500 for joint filers this summer. This law will provide immediate relief to Coloradans by sending you a check this summer instead of spring of 2023, and we at the Colorado Department of Revenue are working hard to make sure that you get the right tax refund amount as soon as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Better if they don't. Then I could become the Han Solo of smuggled insulin.

I’ve considered making a “Dallas Buyers Club” for insulin. It all makes sense cause I live in Dallas. Alright alright alright.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So now your attempting to pivot from your lies about manchin and his advisor is to taking umbrage with the name of the plan, which you consider "lying." Why don't you take your own fucking advice, you disingenuous piece of shit?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/15/larry-summers-emerges-as-the-unlikeliest-democratic-hero-00051433

His name was Larry Summers, and he's a former treasury secretary, and he's been a vocal biden critic. 

“Summers declined to discuss his conversations with Manchin.” Gee golly, I can’t understand why. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

“Summers declined to discuss his conversations with Manchin.” Gee golly, I can’t understand why. 

You mean a respect for the private conversations he had with his friend? Tell me, genius, what do you think he'd reveal if he discussed them? What juicy little snippets do you think he'd reveal?

Again, another post where you can't counter anything I've said, you just attempt to change the subject or make shitposts. Is it exhausting being so completely incapable of defending your position with support or, god forbid, facts? Is this kind of general impotency that fuels your rage? It's sad. 

You mean a respect for the private conversations he had with his friend? Tell me, genius, what do you think he'd reveal if he discussed them? What juicy little snippets do you think he'd reveal?

Again, another post where you can't counter anything I've said, you just attempt to change the subject or make shitposts. Is it exhausting being so completely incapable of defending your position with support or, god forbid, facts? Is this kind of general impotency that fuels your rage? It's sad. 

This is hilarious. Makes a post stating the Inflation Reduction Act reduces inflation, realizes it doesn’t, then accuses others of not defending positions. 

• Fuck You 5

Just now, Poe It Up said:

This is hilarious. Makes a post stating the Inflation Reduction Act reduces inflation, realizes it doesn’t, then accuses others of not defending positions. 

I've got to ask...can you read? I mean, obviously you can type words, but is your reading comprehension at a second or maybe THIRD grade reading level? I never said this bill would reduce inflation. In fact, I never said anything. I reported what Summers allegedly said to Manchin. Do you need someone to explain to you the difference? What WAS said was that it would lower the national debt. Here is my original post below, just to make it easier on you, with the pertinent areas bolded:

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, allow me to correct you. The economic advisor Manchin himself has been going to for advice for years told him that this bill wouldn't INCREASE inflation in the short term, would reduce it long term, and would in fact lower the national debt. They "played dirty" by...having manchin's private advisor of years tell him that it was a good bill that wouldn't increase inflation. A clear power move to turn and cultivate an economic advisor a decade ahead of Manchin turning to him for advice FOR JUST THIS OCCASION! 

I guess the Dems can also predict power ball numbers. 

You're either ignorant and unaware of the facts and yet posting with confidence, or you're lying on purpose. Either way, fuck off. 

• Haha 1